Loblaw Employee Reviews

Found 1,127 reviews matching the search
Awful
Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Ontario10 November 2016
Once in management your salary is not increased for at least one year with no benefits. So I was making slightly more than a cashier but managing a department with increased workload and responsibility. Made to feel unappreciated as I was told I could be replaced at any time and I should appreciate the opportunity afforded me .Management is unapproachable and distant with no negotiations. Expected to work extra hours with no extra pay.
Pros
Likable coworkers
Cons
Long hours for little pay
About me an work
Customer service / cashier (Current Employee) –  Coquitlam, BC30 November 2016
I am currently working at customer service as well as cashier price checker self check out attendant an sometimes supervising. I do enjoy my job yet have come to the point where I want weekends off with my family. I'm looking for something Wednesday Thursday an Friday.
Hardest part is the hours. So in January I will be working Monday an Tuesday. I feel like my hard work is at times over looked. I have only missed 2 days in 16 years an I have never been late.
I am hoping to find something to fill my days an to keep myself busy. I do enjoy the public yet also work very well alone.
Pros
People I work with are fun an I enjoy the customers
Cons
Work hours all over the place no balance in life
Productive and good management
Material Handler (Current Employee) –  Regina, SK20 November 2016
lifting goods and organizing good and operates forklift and other machines is a typical day at work, lifting heavy goods is quiet tiring but time passes so quickly that you couldn't notice that the working hours was ended because of good relationship with co-worker and because of teamwork that makes the job enjoyable. The benefits is good and the management has considerations.
Pros
free snacks if zero accident in a month
positive work environment
Pharmacy Assistant (Current Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON20 October 2016
We have learned a new system from the Happiness Project to create a positive work environment, how to prevent inefficiencies and learn what waste was (time, movement,etc). We've tried to put a lot into practise and learn from our mistakes. I've learned that change however scary, can be a good thing. My co-workers are great and are always up for a laugh while working. I enjoy doing something the same, but different each shift. Working in the health field has taught me quite a bit about people and I find it hardest when we lose a customer to a health condition.
Open and inclusive work environment
Co-op Office Admin trainee (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON20 October 2016
A typical day at work comes across as fun-filled work environment with an open culture. Time management has been my biggest learning amongst a extremely promising talent pool. The most enjoyable part of the job was the employee engagement initiatives as part of what is called within Loblaws as the "Blue culture" as well the phenomenal product promotion deals for Loblaw employees!
Fast paced with decent employee benefits
Night Crew Storeperson (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON3 October 2016
As a member of the night crew that trained throughout the day, the expectations are certainly much higher at night than they are for crews that work during business hours. It is understandable as day crews have to deal with customer but this means that there will be a lot of rotation and organization left for the night crew.

The hardest part of the job is trying to create for the massive orders we receive leading up to holidays.

The most enjoyable part of the job is that it doesn't require much concentration so you are able to listen to audiobooks as long as you leave an ear free to listen for any communication
Pros
occasional free pizza
Cons
reluctance to hire for full time
loblaws was probably the worst work experience so far.
click and collect (Current Employee) –  Jarvis, ON3 October 2016
it is a very face pace job at times we don't have time for a break. I learned that without team work and communication it is harder to function as a whole. the management isn't the best they are very unorganized. There are some co-workers that slack more then others making the work load bigger then it has to be. The hardest part is getting everything done on time on busy days. There really isn't much of an enjoyable part of the job really.
Cons
unorganized, not a positive place, stressful
Lack of objective
Sr. Manager (Former Employee) –  Brampton3 October 2016
This is most definitely a constructive criticism. Although I had a great experience working at Loblaw Companies, it would be very helpful if management would take their objectives seriously, make them measurable and hold all levels of staff accountable to ensure positive results. It appears that there's a true and honest (even eager) desire to change the culture and get staff onboard but you cannot expect different results by making same mistakes.
Pros
Great facility (Headoffice)
Cons
Big egos easily bruised, too much hidding behind titles
Productive, the people working there are friendly.
Courtesy Clerk (Current Employee) –  Prince George, BC2 October 2016
Superstore is a great place to start off working if this is your first job. It can teach you plenty of different skills depending on which department you're in. As a courtney clerk, I've learnt mostly people skills and how to help in anyway that I can.
Pros
Short hours, good to start off in the work place or if you're currently enrolled in school
Cons
Not a place you want to make a living out of, to low wage and takes too long to build up to anywhere.
Garbage
Assistant store manager (Former Employee) –  Bayview Village, ON27 November 2016
I was working night crew and always expecting more with less paid, benefits are garbage for part time.managers are ok, supervisors and high rank bosses not even good morning. Human resource should be doing something about LOBLAWS. I I had the power will put then out of Bussines. I finally find the place to put a review and hopping people listen and stop working for them, make them rich,WHY? They don't care about you missing New Years with your kids, only about you working like mad man. Hope people can hear me out Loblaws is not what they think it is.it is not the only job you are goin to find in your life. Today I am working at a better place far from junior and his clan
Pros
Employees are good people but scare of losing job
Cons
Bad company to work, won't recommend even if is the only one out there
Skeptical at first but found out it was true
Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB1 October 2016
I was skeptical at first at first reading all the negative reviews here but turned out to be true.

The turn over rate for newly hired employees and temps ranges from just 2 weeks to 2 months.

They are very bias specially against temps and if most of the managers do not like you they will make excuses to fire you. The environment is toxic and you either just stay quiet or else people will police what you are doing and make reasons to make you leave.

Varied management style and no standardized way of doing stuff specially training. Everyone has their own way of doing things.

Be wary of applying specially if you are a temp.
Pros
A lot of possible job opportunities
Cons
Varied management styles as well as bias toward new hires and temps
Poor place to work lack of proper training
Grocery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC17 September 2016
I got injured on the job because of no training at all. I asked to be transferred and no one lift a finger to help me....they told me to stay on my sick leaf and they will contact me for an update , it has been almost 2months now. I spoke with 3 managers and all lost my sick days off paper from my doctor. They care zero about their employees! No one didn't even call to find out if I was ok
Pros
Clean lunch room
Cons
Poor management, lack of care and zero transpirancy
Merchant (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON16 November 2016
Overall the Loblaw's office is great place to work. They treat their employees well and offer advancement opportunities. Benefits are great which include 100% coverage on medication at Loblaw pharmacies. 50% off glasses on top of what is provided on benefits.
Culture at the top is still an "old boys club' mentality.
Pros
benefits, stock options
Cons
long hours expected, still an old boys club at the top
Fast pace environment, friendly staff and Customers.
Cashier, Front End Supervisor, Trainer (Former Employee) –  Isabella, MB12 September 2016
Loblaw Great Foods Isabella location is a face pace environment, took on many different positions, co-workers are the best people I have worked with. I had the best managers and mentors. Loblaw over all has been the greatest job I have ever had so far.
Pros
Amazing opportunities to move up in company, it's union, benifits
Cons
You don't get extra or raise when moving up in company and wage increase goes based on hours worked.
Busy Bees sweet taste buds
Bakery Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON4 November 2016
Early morning riser.
Prep all variety of breads buns pies all the goodies.
Place in warmers to raise the doe and pop in the ovens for the sweet smell of various berries that are AHH so good.
Cleanliness is top priority when dealing with food. Personal
Not being able to taste some of the completed pastries is really hard to resist.
Pros
Dealing with customers
Cons
No tasting
Highly insecure work environment
Supply Chain Analyst (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON31 August 2016
I have worked at LCL for one year and in that one year I saw a dozen people get let go by the business. People were let go for no reason. Some talent that I saw being dismissed were the hardest working, engaged, intelligent, and talented people. There is very poor leadership and retention of talent in this business. Hence, there is no job security in this organization. My advice is be prepared as if everyday might be your last.
Pros
free parking
Cons
job insecurity
Reaching quota or percentage within a supportive management
Order Assembler (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB1 December 2016
Preparing stocks from different supermarkets and hit the target quota for your performance. Management is very supportive for every new colleague. My co-workers are supportive as well. The hardest part of the job is that I need to hit the target quota/volume percentage every day.
Pros
Free Benefits
Cons
Reaching quota
Finance Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB6 October 2016
I work very independently or with minimum supervision. I have learned what team work is and how we can share and develop skills and ideas. Very supportive management and with all suggestions, training or consultation. Company has great vision and develop new processes as required in the competitive world class market.
Pros
Flexible hours to work/free coffees
Good position but store format changed.
Buggy Boy (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON24 August 2016
I worked for Loblaws for almost twenty years. I was the most senior Buggy Boy and was able to choose my hours. I wanted to learn about other positions in the store and had applied for a few but was denied. The store's policy was to keep the handicapped persons outside of the store. I was comfortable working there until they changed the format of the store. The new hours that they offered were not ideal for me. I had not worked weekends in years and the new format stated that I would have to work three weekends per month and shorter hours through the week.
Pros
Able to talk to the customers and help them out to their cars with their groceries
Cons
Had to work outside in all types of weather.
A great place to work
Front End Manager (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON15 November 2016
Very proactive company that has dealt with issues head on and invested in the future.
A great place to work that promotes individual growth and supports employees of all ages.
The hardest and most enjoyable part of retail is the customers.
The most rewarding part of the job is watching employees develop and prosper.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
Working Stats