Loblaw

Loblaw Employee Reviews

Reputation is going nowhere but down...
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Lower Mainland, BCOctober 3, 2012
After reading all of the highly positive reviews about Loblaw, it makes me wonder if those reviews are made up by those at corporate level to entice people to apply for a job.
Loblaw is definitely not a fun place to work. The work environment in their retail stores is highly stressful, as the company has greatly reduced the amount of hours departments are allowed to schedule each week. We are expected to accomplish a lot more that is possible due to the cutbacks.
Part time employees are not allowed to work more than 28 hours a week. Those who are not even technically available to work on certain days can pick up hours during the times they are supposedly blocked from working. This means that someone who is scheduled 12 hours a week can end up working up to 28 hours, even on those days when they supposedly aren't even available to work. How is that fair? I am available to work anytime during business hours (which shows that I am dedicated and willing to work whenever needed), but I do not have any opportunity to pick up hours. The company obviously doesn't care that their employees have financial obligations such as bills, mortgages, car payments, and families to feed. If they did care, they would allow us to work more hours. They would rather hire more employees at the starting wage than allow hard working people to better themselves. If anyone at head office reads this review... Show that you really do care about your staff and make those changes that will allow us employees to enjoy working for you! We deserve better!
Pros
10% discount, eyeglass coverage, prescription coverage
Cons
too many to mention
Managment and co-workers were the best people.
Pharmacy Assistant (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ONJuly 22, 2015
A Typical day at work would be arriving at 11 am processing over 70 + prescription without any complication and leaving work at 7:30pm stress free.

What I had learned over the past 7 years working at Loblaw pharmacy was that I got the experience how a pharmacy healthcare/business industries was built from ground up. Learning everything from bookkeeping, processing invoices, inventory management right through provided extensive healthcare to patient and understanding each patient on a personally connection.

The management at Loblaw is fantastic. I bonded with my employer on a personally level and we still remain good friend.

My Pharmacist is an amazing person she never once gave up on me and always pushes me to be better. Great support from my Pharmacist.

The hardest part of the job was trying to make the pharmacy surpass our goal from previous year. Customer based was very limited but we all worked as a team to strive for greatness.

The most enjoyable part of the job is working with my management and Pharmacist because the 3 of us built the pharmacy reputation and getting up each morning to go to work was super easy.

I would like to say "Thank you" to my Manager and Pharmacist for everything you have done and taught me throughout the years of hardship. I greatly appreciated all the effort and time that you both had put in supporting and encouraging me to be a better person.

I will treasured all the long hours that you both put into training me.

#NofrillPharmacy
Pros
The hours I was given to work each day
Cons
Falling a little short on our goal in the Pharmacy
Productive, fast pace business
Full-Time Credit Desk/ Distribution Services (Former Employee) –  BramptonMarch 12, 2014
Customer Service Representative for Stores and warehouses. Typical day at work, logging in to the phones. Set up the programs that are used for incoming calls, checking e-mails, checking voicemails, sorting and separating different types of claims. Paying claims, invoicing claims, submitting claims from incoming calls from stores. Denying claims. Updating spreadsheet, and uploading them to Share point site. Investigating issues that have occurred at stores and confirming with the warehouse.

What I have learned from Loblaws, great team work, great customer service skills, multi-tasking, working in a face pace.

Managers would only come to the desk when there was an issue that need to be dealt with. They are always there to help, and always provided more information that would help the Department. They would have monthly Staff meetings to discuss any issues that co-workers have, and would also advice us on new information that the Company will be doing.

The co-workers are team players. We would all help each other any way that we can so that no one is ever behind and update. They are also outgoing and friendly.

The hardest part of the Job is when using the new system SAP and had limited time for training due to the launch that was happening in stores and warehouses.

The most enjoyable part of the job are the co-workers who are always there and support each other.
bullying, toxic work environment
Deli (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray,ABJune 2, 2014
The hardest part of my job is that my dept. manager constantly complain about speed with production when we have to do two people task on top of your own at times.
While my manager address to reduce work hours for our dept. they've hired three other new people which obviously mean the company would rather hire more employees at the starting wage than allow hard working people to better themselves.
I am available to work anytime during business hours and never late or absent on my schedules (which shows that I am dedicated and willing to work whenever needed), but I do not have any opportunity to pick up hours. How is that fair?
The most enjoyable part of my job is complete all my production and prep work, while deliver extensive customer service.

Work bullying… there are few bystanders, as most people will eventually be sucked in. It's about survival. Employees like myself who try to voice out our concerns or speak out ideas would be get abused or pushed out just as it happened to me last week. I was being accused of argumentative, unwarranted criticisms of performance and false allegations. Managers in this store are so fake and cover up each other.
When upper management visits, managers would make us clean up and put smiles on our faces. DO NOT work here.
Pros
so many problems…..
Cons
inconsistent rules;abuse of power; unprofessional conduct and bullying by manager
Loblaws wants you to be their next slave.
Stocker (Former Employee) –  BomanvilleNovember 5, 2014
If you aren't in 5 minutes before the time you start then management will treat you like eye sore all day. If you aren't working fast enough (even on the first day!) then your job is at risk. If you are to mutter a word to the guy working beside you then you are yelled at by management that watches from upstairs. Overall I liked the job and the people that worked there but as for management I could care less if they all went the way of the dinosaurs. They treat you like garbage and it seems they actually get pleasure out of it and only once you are past 3 months do things start to ease up but that is if you can even make it to the 3rd month and even then you will still hate working there. And one more thing that came to my surprise at the end of the meeting in which I was fired, everyone that I was hired with was all fired that week... The turn over rate is ridiculous and it won't change until they understand respect isn't earned by pressure and control especially in a country like ours! This job is only for Sheep slaves that do as they are told so unless you like being a conforming slave this job isn't for you though I am sure some loblaws out there are quite descent places to work at.
Pros
the guy singing in the aisle all night to p1ss management off.
Cons
being managed by disgustingly controlling and pathetic managers.
Productive workplace, but also incredibly boring
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Pitt Meadows, BCApril 27, 2015
Working with Loblaw at Superstore was quite eventful, since there was always another customer waiting, but the work was so incredibly repetitive that there was almost never a moment when I was enjoying myself. Loblaw is a great employer to always have something to do, but it is all drone work.

I learned how to effectively handle money and cash registers, but I also was given a good idea of where each item was inside the store.

Management functioned, but was not amazing. The supervisors and store managers were constantly in bad moods, and though they were almost always pleasant toward their employees, they were not always handling customers in the best way.

My co-workers were almost all great people. Everybody was happy, sometimes making pleasant conversation, but nobody seemed to particularly enjoy their time while at work.

The hardest part of the job for me was the repetition. I almost never had the chance to work away from my till.

I most enjoyed being away from the till. When I was sent outside to bring carts in, or sent to price check, I enjoyed myself. These circumstances however, were very scarce.
Pros
Fast paced work environment with nice co-workers
Cons
drone-like work that was impossible to enjoy
A very interactive and exciting job offering a chance to learn about Human behaviour.
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONMay 1, 2012
- Reach the scheduled location and set up. Interact with customers, educated them about the product (PC master card) and signed up the interested customer for the master card.
- Developed strong communication and interpersonal skills, dealing with customers of all ages. Demonstrated creativity by improving the sales pitch with the feedback from customers. Identified and analyzed customer needs and queries and provided them with suitable solution. Organised the signed up applications and mailed them to the office every week.
- The management team was amazing. They provided excellent training and were always available for assistance, when required.
- Worked mostly independently, but met co-worker during change of shifts and exchanged tips with them to improve performance.
- The hardest part of the job was dealing with customers who had bad experiences with credit cards in the past.
- The most enjoyable part was meeting the previously signed up customers, learning about their experience with the master card and building relationship with them.
Pros
very flexible hours, good training program, cheerful and supportive management
Department managers ( now called ops managers)get experince then run
department manager (Former Employee) –  edmonton albertaMarch 17, 2013
This is a company that sees an end goal but can't quite pull it together at store level to make it happen. Programs continously started but not planned all the way through so at store level you have to be able to interpret what their end vision is so you can deliver it. You have to be loud and demanding to get some suppport when you need it from the overworked managers. With in this environment you get great skills you'll just really have to know what you can tolerate to get that experince.
You do get to meet and work with a lot of great people and it turns into a team as you all feel the same way about head office and their ever changing minds and poor stock planning. The latest problem solving motto is 'when SAP comes it'll get better.' Until then i guess if you have a very thick skin when it comes to 'constructive criticism' i.e. your store manager yelling at you in front of customers on the sales floor for shelves looking to empty (even though you are following ordering regulations) or the aisles aren't faced to the very edge of the shelf, take the experince and run.
Pros
great co workers
Cons
as managment you are expected to put in unhuman hours
Great and fun work, horrible management
Produce Clerk (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ONMay 30, 2013
My typical day at work is organize the counters and put out stock, help out customers and do the odd job for the department. Usually working nights I put away stock and organize the cooler and back room before receiving the shipment. What I learned is how to be efficient, and how to work hard from how busy it gets on weekends. My co-workers are great, you could say my entire department is just a big group of friends, which makes working enjoyable while doing my job. The hardest and only hard part of the job would be management. My old produce manager was great (until he was forced to leave under certain circumstances), but the store managers are horrible to me. There's a lot of miscommunication so personally I feel like I'm being harassed, I don't think a worker should be grieving at work because a certain manager or two is working. Even overall the managers are just rude and childish, it's not professional at all. This is the number one and only reason I would not suggest this job, it seems like they discriminate against the kids working there or just any minority at best.
Pros
variety of jobs so always busy, never a dull moment
Cons
management, long hours
HORRIBLE.
Cold Deli (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONJanuary 15, 2014
I used to work for Loblaws same location horrible staffing with the managers. They need new ones, benefits are amazing, pay is alright, not many hours and too much favouritism. Feels like elementary school. When it's break time for lunch you get 30 minutes. You walk to the back room and punch out. You walk from the back room to the lunch room and then on your way to the lunchroom sometimes a customer will need your help. Would be bad to turn your back so you help and then that takes up time then you run out of time for your lunch and realize when you get upstairs you only have 5-15 minutes left for lunch. Not even enough time to eat or even heat up food if you wanted to. Or even to buy food. Certain things will not work you take extra time to eat and it's like you took 40-45 minutes on a lunch break when really your busy helping customers. A great place to work for benefits but there needs to be more respect given and treating people equally. It reminds me of high school haha.
Pros
benefits, having a job earning money, diverse culture of people.
Cons
not enough hours, breaks are too short (lunch), favouritism too much, managers slaving the employees within departments.
Enjoy the multi-tasking aspect of the job, not repetative.
Joe Fresh Manager (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ONJanuary 24, 2013
I would arrive at work, and check the previous days schedule hours, review and initial off, once verification is done. I would then proceed to the Joe Fresh Dept. and do a walk of the dept. making notes, as to what the needs of the business are, high priority etc. Check the previous days sales and record them, comparing them to the targets. Check the previous days task sheets to observe that tasks are completed. Proceed to making a task sheet for the team for the day, to give them direction.
I have a really good team, who work well together. They often know what needs to be done without direction.
The hardest part of the job is being an Apparel business in a grocery store and getting the respect it deserves.
The most enjoyable part of my job is working with my team and delivering excellent customer service.
I have learned how to work in an unionized environment, I have learned the Joe Fresh Branding and merchandising to that standard, and I have been trained as a Manager On Duty for the whole store, opening and closing.
Pros
excellent salary, and benefits
Cons
having one saturday off a month.
Well organized and manageable schedule to work with as an employee.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ONJanuary 3, 2015
As a cashier at the local grocery store, Zehrs (Loblaws) in my city, Barrie ON. I learned how to use my customer service skills to the best of my abilities by being patient, kind and understanding towards every customer.
The people that managed myself and my co-workers were respectful and helpful in many difficult and frustrating situations including some where I had made a mistake.
My co-workers were helpful, kind and represented the company very well by being knowledgeable and efficient.
The hardest part of my job was standing and doing the exact same motions for hours on end. It was difficult because it was so repetitive and at times very frustrating. I was also difficult because at times my customers were unhappy or angry and I had to manage every issue with a smile and much patience.
The most enjoyable part of my job was being able to connect with my customers by asking them about their weekend or wishing them a good day. I enjoyed when my customers were respectful and patient with me.
Pros
mandatory breaks
Cons
long hours, repetitive motions and tasks
Work hard for a low pay with a great work environment!
Loblaw Employee (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONNovember 2, 2014
A typical day at work would be doing your daily duties in your department, help out customers when they need help and socialize with others on your breaks. I learned responsibility and cooperation. The management is very disorganised. The people in charge do not know what they are doing at times, and they hesitate when making decisions. So there will be a time when you know the managers are not being efficient or making a mistake, but you are not able to do anything about it. The co-workers are the reason to work at Loblaw. They are like family. They help you and look after you. The hardest part of the job is dealing with negative customers and managers. There are times when you won't be able to take a break because the store gets too busy, but the managers won't care (keep in mind, you get paid a low salary). They will continue t make you work like crazy. The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to work with your colleagues and helping out customers.
Pros
discount card, friendly and helpful colleagues
Cons
low salary, limited amounts of shifts, union is useless
Excellent Clerical Entry Level Positions
General Clerk (Warehouse) (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONNovember 15, 2013
A General Clerk for the Loblaw distribution center in Ottawa typically starts the day by coordinating with members of the previous shift to see what the activities of the day are, and to finish any work that could not be completed. Then the clerk goes through the warehouse and maintains the inventory, looking for products that are close to expiry as well as making sure that products are suitable for the order pickers.
I learned basic clerical and office duties working for Loblaw. I also learned basics about load dispatching and receiving.
The management for the clerks are fair and knowledgeable. They can also be understanding and accommodate requests and needs if required.
Clerical co-workers are friendly and are always keen to help someone out or to provide assistance.
The hardest part of the job is trying to keep busy on slow days.
The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to walk around the warehouse, as it makes for a more dynamic workplace (as opposed to sitting around at a desk all day).
Customer Service Manager
Front End Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONAugust 19, 2015
The role entailed a variety of key responsibilities from creating positive customer/employee interactions, resolving customer complaints, concerns and inquiries.

Organizing the training and development of front end staff to meet the needs of the business

Writing projections for front end sales in accordance to labour management tools; and using it to write front end schedules that meet the needs of the business and expected service levels

Investigating any shortages and irregularities in cash handling procedures and sales transactions; following up when and if required and taking appropriate action.

Ordering supplies required for front end operations such as cash register receipt tape, bags and cleaning materials.

Ensuring that sweep logs were maintained in accordance to risk management and Workplace Health and Safety protocol.
Pros
Job stability and opportunities for further growth and development
Cons
Being a retail environment, some evenings, weekends and holiday work is expected
Worst Company Distribution Center
Reach Truck Operator/Assembler (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ONJanuary 8, 2016
You are just a number,and you better have a back like a twenty yr old for as long as you work here.Standards are unrealistic, warehouse is laid out beyond stupidity ( be sure to stack a thousand+ pounds of product on top of your water bottle base) for starters. Pallets look like pyramids due to unrealistic standards of assemblers rushing to get it done in time so they don't get written up,suspended,and eventually fired.The Union is useless because they are in the companies pocket.Supervisors and Management think their s**t don't stink,and they all claim to have done assembly at some point. I've seen more supervisors replaced,and upper management change names a few times in my 15+ yrs. The only reason they got into supervisor positions is because they could not do the job (that would explain the mayonaise on their chins) This companies distribution center is equivalent to a sweat shop of a third world country.
Pros
There are no Pro's about this company.
Cons
Good liars at making you feel like your a valuable employee.
Terrible!
Pharmacy Assitant or should I say Clerk? (Former Employee) –  Toronto, OntarioJuly 21, 2014
I had worked for more than 10 years with so called Loblaw as a pharmacy technician. Then one day I was told I was being laid off due to a so called store level test that I had failed and that there was no employment for me there. Kind of stupid to think that a company would keep you for all those years and then tell you that your not good enough because you failed a store level test?! Something that's not even implemented by the Ontario College of Pharmacists?! That's not even a law? Hum?! Something is wrong with this picture!!!
As far as the so called "Union" they don' t do anything for the employee except harass you to find another job and that they'll try and get you your job back for unlawful dismissal...yeah right!
This must sound like I'm bitter and yes I am why shouldn't I be?
I was a loyal worker for number of years and I know for sure this was a inside job of the company to get rid of workers like me and it had everything to do with the management who could have protected the staff and decided not to do so.
Pros
hum?!
Cons
poor management in the whole company!
Friendly faces and easy to adapt with different people
Front - End Cashier (Current Employee) –  North York, ONOctober 16, 2012
Working at Loblaw with friendly co-workers and people is a dream come true. Everyday we meet different kinds of people whether it is from the upper class or lower class people. My day starts at Loblaw by greeting my customers with grace so that they will feel at ease to me. I feel so much happy when I start greeting them and they will response even just a small simple smile. I make sure that giving them a customer satisfaction will make me uplift my morale. I may be able to apply what I have learned in College about managing at dealing with people and how to satisfy them by giving a 100% customer satisfaction. Of coarse, with the help of my superior and co-workers, we see too it that there is no customer that will go out of store mad or unsatisfied with our service. I enjoyed my job and Im proud of it, even though I see customers outside the store, It makes me feel happy when somebody will recognize you and treat you as one of their friends. It makes me feel uplifted!
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
standing for long hours
A workplace that always challenges you through customer interaction
Photographer/ Electronics Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  TorontoJanuary 4, 2015
A typical day at work includes:

-Booting up the printers, self-serve photo development kiosks, and computers
-Taking passport photos for customers
-Opening and closing the Photo Studio
-Assisting customers with developing and picking up their photos
-Taking photos of clients, followed by selecting, editing and printing their photo selections (all ages including babies, kids, adults)
-Helping clients checkout at the cashier both in Photo Studio and Electronics

-Most challenging part of the job-must be dealing with:

a) ensuring quality customer service is given when taking photos of clients, printing and delivering the photos

b)dealing with any unforeseen customer complaints

c) technological complications with the printers or other equipment

-Most enjoyable part of the job is seeing a satisfied customer(s) walking away with their pictures and knowing you helped someone that day.
Pros
nice discounts with employee discount card
Maple leaf Gerden Loblaws
Barista/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Toronto OntSeptember 30, 2014
My morning starts at 5am each day, in the events to reach work by 630am. I set up the cafe from brewing coffee to setting up treats for the busy day ahead. Typical day at work involves serving costumers coffee, bagels and other item in order for their day to start. Not only are we serving them coffee but a smile to keep them going through out the day.

I have learned a great deal of experience at loblaws. When i started working there I had no idea what I was doing and today I have the knowledge to run the department when the manger is not around. I have learned how to place order such as supplies, pastries and coffees. I have the ability to do inventory for the department. But most importantly I have learn to have great deal about customer service.

The most enjoyable part is working with my co workers. Different races and ages make the environment more fun and welcoming to everyone.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
short breaks, abusive treatment from managers, paying union dues when not in the union, paying for insurance that you can't use