Loblaw Employee Reviews in Canada

Found 1,011 reviews matching the search
Great Company With Some Flaws
Production Designer (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONJanuary 5, 2016
There are so many great things overall that makes you proud to work there. Really loved the products that were produced and the generosity generated with the social climate (especially PC Children's Charity).

The working organization is so large it doesn't always know what the left hand is doing from the right. Might be something that can't be solved. Processes were greatly missing from my day to day experiences.

Great benefits and pay but struggles with bureaucracy. Work/life balance depends greatly on your manager. Some really awesome people peppered in with the not so great people.

Overall I really liked my job, but the lack of processes was the biggest struggle.
Pros
Amenities on site, Global Positioning, Bonuses
Cons
Lack of Process, Bureaucracy
Not the best place to work
GM/Electronics Clerk (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBMarch 31, 2016
Cons

- ALWAYS cutting hours.

- Extremely low hours.

- Management is unsupportive and they don't care, zero leadership. Abusive.

- Overworked with unreasonable amount of workload even during high traffic seasons/holidays.

- Hold you responsible for not fulfilling their unreasonable demands due to their incompetence and lack of management and leadership skills.

- Only 10% discount on certain products

Pros

- Coworkers

- Decent benefits
Productive Fun and challenging
Forklift Operator/Assembler (Current Employee) –  Regina, SKMarch 7, 2016
Loblaw is a great place to work, but just like every work place you have to earn the money. Work hard and you will be rewarded. You get good benefits and overall the supervisors are verry friendly and ready to work with coleagues and help them with any issues and concerns.
Pros
Friendly people and incentive for Safety
Cons
Real Hard work
Awful management
Hot Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ONFebruary 15, 2016
Management was sub par. Meaning that they didn't properly know how to communicate with the union. Workers who were lazy/rude/demeaning never got fired, because they could complain to the union that they were being unfairly penalized, and then management would back off.

Although they attempted to bring an upbeat work culture into the workplace, both store managers that I worked under failed to consistently encourage the managers under them, as well as the common clerks in the store.

As is typical of retail work, the hours are long and inconsistent. The only time periods that I had hours that weren't like this were when I served as a Assistant Department Manager for a total period of a month.
Pros
Unionized
Cons
Long hours, inconsistent schedules, poor management (especially in regards to the union)
Depends on what you're looking for
Clerk (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 30, 2016
Great as a start off job for part-time students. Flexible hours worked around school schedule. Not very good for advancement. Benefits only apply to full-time workers.
Pros
Schedule around your availability
Cons
Inconsistent management, no benefits for part-timers
Little respect, overworked, no advancement
Grocery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABOctober 29, 2015
8 years working night shift. There is VERY LITTLE respect towards crew from management to supervisors. No acknowledgment for your hard work. "Good" and "fast" persons are overworked and put in the heaviest aisles while the lazy people are put in the slowest aisles with no training or reprimands for slacking off 75% of their shift, while the hard working employees are actually bashed on for not doing a good enough job!! Hitting a promotion is like winning the lottery...don't count on it.

Continuous payroll problems! They don't listen or abide by contract. No weekends off.

Supervisor turn over is tremendous. Hardly ever train and promote within and always hire or relocate from outside sources or other stores.

Always trying to win the "lowest wage race" or "race to the bottom" like Wal-Mart. Which leads to job insecurity.
Pros
Decent benefits
Cons
Overworked, no respect, no advancement, gaps between employee workloads
Great work environment and people. but salary and advancement could be better
Sr. Supply Chain Analyst (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 26, 2016
Great work environment and great people, but job advancement opportunities and salary could be much better. Had excellent coworkers on my team and loved the culture and work space, but work is a but work can be routine and there isn't any clear advancement structure.
Very Productive company lots of benefits.
Senior Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONApril 6, 2016
It was a great place to work and I would recommend this company to others. Productive, benefits are good and just a great working atmosphere and there is scope for growth in this company.
Pros
Fun place to work
Cons
Sometimes have to work from home
Fun Place to Work
Analyst (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ONFebruary 24, 2016
Good place to work, good working culture, lots of benefits and great people. Work life balance can be difficult depending on volume of work In addition, company should invest in more corporate training.
Pros
Subsidized lunches
Cons
departments operating in silos
Fast paced and demanding
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMarch 21, 2016
Long hours of work
Expected overtime with no extra pay
Good Pay and benefits
Complicated Politics
High Expectations to deliver results
Pros
Good bonus system
Cons
Very Political
Productive and fast paced environment
Supervisor, Cashier & Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Pierrefonds, QCNovember 9, 2015
This is where I learned how to multitask and delegate tasks and become a supervisor. Management loved my "always kind, always wanting to do my best" attitude. I wasn't treated like a child (I was barely 20) it was nice to be treated like a person. Hardest part of the job was working at the customer service counter, multitasking while working 3 lineups, processing returns, loto tickets, incoming phone calls and regular client purchases. Most enjoyable part of the job was leaning what I was capable of and the friends I made while working at Loblaws.
Pros
Great staff
Cons
salary, not enough hours.
Good Place to work
HR Records Clerk (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ONApril 6, 2016
Loblaw is a good company to work for. It has a lot of benefits, such as flex hours and a Good life fitness on site! There are really nice people who work in this company.
Not a great place
Transportation Planner (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABFebruary 8, 2016
Poor management, no benefits (contracted through protemps) with no moving up or being hired on in the near future after 2 years of being here.
Cons
Your days could be between 4 hours and 12 - theres no way to tell
Productive and welcoming workplace with children and adults.
Kitchen Assistant (Current Employee) –  Peterborough, ONNovember 29, 2015
A typical day at work for me usually involves setting up and running a kids birthday party. We prep everything for it in advance in the kitchen we have upstairs of the grocery store. We help the kids make the items on the menu that day and teach them basic kitchen skills. ex.small knife skills, measuring, cooking, baking.
I've learned a lot about cooking and baking but I've also learned how to be more confident when speaking with large groups, how to handle sales, and some computer skills as well.
The management and co-workers definitely make the job that much greater. There isn't a lot of us that work there so were all close knit. As far as my boss' management skills she could have better organization skills but for the most part she is great.
The hardest part of my job is when there are a lot of children in the room for a camp or party and things get so loud you can't help but raise your voice. I wish there was a better way to communicate with them when they are all talking and being loud.
At the end of the day the most enjoyable part of my job is working with people and getting to see the happiness on their faces when they see the delicious food we helped them create.The satisfaction of the customer is always the priority so it is an amazing feeling knowing you met the standards.
Pros
Free food
Cons
Long hours with short breaks
I enjoy my job and like working with people
health clerk (Current Employee) –  oshawaSeptember 22, 2015
A typical day at work would include: 1} sweep log
2} making sure our cycle count is done for 10am
3} If there is new adjustment in our labels to put new ones up
4} Walk the department and order product if our shelves or low or empty.{always try to make sure there is enough product for the day.
5} product supplies come in everyday and needed to be shelved on the right area.
6} To make sure that product presentation is up to level.
7} Always make sure customers are served and satisfied and find the product they are seeking.

I get along with all co-workers .
Like to stay busy and productive.
The hardest part of the job would just being on your feet all day.
The most enjoyable part of this job is keeping busy and making sure I leave with my department well displayed.
Pros
benifits
Cons
Need more hours
Productive and fun place with professionalism towards the improvement of retail industry
Industrial Engineer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONOctober 26, 2015
Fun workplace with supportive management. Lots of teamwork. High Management concerned about everyone´s ideas and professional growth. Encouragement to develop your career towards your personal balanced lifestyle
Pros
Additional health and dental benefits
Cons
I had to leave to take care of my young children
Really likes My Collegues
Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONNovember 24, 2015
Loved the customers and really enjoyed working there. My colleagues where great there and we really did enjoy working with them. But really did not have a work life balance was all work and to many weekends and holidays.
Pros
Great Benefits and Salary
Cons
Long Hours little family life
An Interesting, supportive workplace
Cashier (Current Employee) –  St. John's, NLSeptember 15, 2015
Working in Loblaw Companies Limited is one of my most unforgettable memories. There are many reasons allow me talk like this. It is a very nice workplace which has a lot benefits and It owns a strict systematic management with out being rigid. Besides that, the company takes both customers and stuff as the first place so that every stuff is willing to work in there. Happiness and easiness fill in each employee even in the busiest hour because that each one has experienced its thorough training and becomes totally skilled.
Pros
25% discount on monthly bill
Cons
N/A
Good employer, okay for highschool students
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJanuary 8, 2016
They were generally nice, but made me do horrible hours during school. Since im in highschool. The union fees were ridiculously high.
Pros
Okay Benefits
Cons
Bad hours
Very stable and interesting job.
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONAugust 30, 2015
Fun place to work with very stable hours.
Cash out costumers and handle costumer situations.
Understanding management and friendly.
Friendly and welcoming co-workers who are willing to help.
Hardest part is to deal with new situations and not know what to do, with challenging costumers.
Most enjoyable part is seeing costumers multiple times and being able to have a light fun conversation and make sure they leave with a happy experience.
Pros
Good benefits.
Cons
Standing in one spot for your shift.