Loblaw Employee Reviews

Found 1,065 reviews matching the search
Highly insecure work environment
Supply Chain Analyst (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONAugust 31, 2016
I have worked at LCL for one year and in that one year I saw a dozen people get let go by the business. People were let go for no reason. Some talent that I saw being dismissed were the hardest working, engaged, intelligent, and talented people. There is very poor leadership and retention of talent in this business. Hence, there is no job security in this organization. My advice is be prepared as if everyday might be your last.
Pros
free parking
Cons
job insecurity
Poor place to work lack of proper training
Grocery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BCSeptember 17, 2016
I got injured on the job because of no training at all. I asked to be transferred and no one lift a finger to help me....they told me to stay on my sick leaf and they will contact me for an update , it has been almost 2months now. I spoke with 3 managers and all lost my sick days off paper from my doctor. They care zero about their employees! No one didn't even call to find out if I was ok
Pros
Clean lunch room
Cons
Poor management, lack of care and zero transpirancy
Fast pace environment, friendly staff and Customers.
Cashier, Front End Supervisor, Trainer (Former Employee) –  Isabella, MBSeptember 12, 2016
Loblaw Great Foods Isabella location is a face pace environment, took on many different positions, co-workers are the best people I have worked with. I had the best managers and mentors. Loblaw over all has been the greatest job I have ever had so far.
Pros
Amazing opportunities to move up in company, it's union, benifits
Cons
You don't get extra or raise when moving up in company and wage increase goes based on hours worked.
Good position but store format changed.
Buggy Boy (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONAugust 24, 2016
I worked for Loblaws for almost twenty years. I was the most senior Buggy Boy and was able to choose my hours. I wanted to learn about other positions in the store and had applied for a few but was denied. The store's policy was to keep the handicapped persons outside of the store. I was comfortable working there until they changed the format of the store. The new hours that they offered were not ideal for me. I had not worked weekends in years and the new format stated that I would have to work three weekends per month and shorter hours through the week.
Pros
Able to talk to the customers and help them out to their cars with their groceries
Cons
Had to work outside in all types of weather.
Working for Loblaws rewarding
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABAugust 20, 2016
My day at Loblaws started off by clocking in at the time clock,making sure I have my vest, name tag,pens and other things associated for work.I learned how to ring in the groceries fast and efficient,the management were easy to get along with so were my co-workers,the hardest part of the job was the long hours, and the most enjoyable part of the job was interacting with the customers on a daily basis.
Pros
the interaction with the customers
Challenging retail environment.
Cashier and Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONAugust 11, 2016
Shift work up to 24-hours PT per week. No full-time (40-hour weeks).

Physically and emotionally demanding dealing with the general public.

Skills learned - dealing with the public.

Management is standard. Some good managers, some not so much. Frequent management and staff turnover.

Shifts ranged from 4 to 8 hours. Pay was low. Benefits were minimal for PT employees.

As in any retail environment, co-workers ranged from good to poor.
Pros
Weekly pay
Cons
Low pay, PT work, no real career advancement.
Cashier at Loblaws
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ONJuly 28, 2016
Typical day at Loblaws would be cashing out customers and bag their groceries. I learned how to multi-task, and engage in small talk with customers. My co-workers are great, they respect me and they treat me very kindly. There is no hard part to the job, however it is difficult when you first start since it's your first time and may occasionally mess up on orders the first few shifts. After that, the job gets easier. Even though the job does get easier, it's not very enjoyable and sometimes my legs are in pain for standing for so long. It is a good place to work however it does get boring really quickly after working for 4 months.
Pros
Half-hour lunches, discounts to Goodlife Fitness
Cons
Legs end up hurting after standing for a long period of time
Really lax workplace.
Grocery Clerk (Current Employee) –  Christie and DupontAugust 11, 2016
A typical day at work in my department would start out with putting goods out on the line and serving customers. I would do this throughout the day then at the end of the day I would clean my department and organize the back. I learned a lot about handling meat and how it should be prepared. My co workers were all cooperative and it was a friendly environment.
Pros
Low stress level working enviroment
Cons
Slow work days
Excellent Company
Supply Chain Analyst (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ONSeptember 10, 2016
Company is always looking to new innovations. They operate with the employee and the company's best interest. It is a large company so there are great opportunities though there is also large competition for these positions. Company runs with strict moral and social conduct.
Pros
Benefits / dress down fridays / stock options
Cons
large company / opportunities have great competition
Super cool team at the store that I work.
Perpetual Inventory Clerk (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONAugust 29, 2016
The team at my store is awesome. It feels like family there.

The management team is cool too, quite approachable and very hands on in the management of the store.

The salary is low however. If you are just starting with the company you only get paid minimum wage.
Pros
10% discount card after 6 months
Cons
sometimes they cut hours. You have to have a back up job.
Awesome company to work for! Everyone was like a big family and I met many of my friends at the job. Loved my boss too, she was amazing!
Sales Clerk/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Yorkton, SKJuly 23, 2016
Awesome place to work! Was like one big family, and the work was nice too. Met so many people there, and got lots of work experience. Would definitely consider working for Loblaws again one day.
Pros
Free food upstairs in the break room!
Cons
Found myself working alone in the evening lots
Great Place to Work - Great people
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 23, 2016
I had a very positive experience at Loblaw! I felt that I was involved in interesting IT projects and really felt that I connected with my managers. My coworkers were pretty supportive as well. I think the hardest part of the job is all the concurrent projects and uncertain funding. A lot of things that need to be done end up being deferred. The annual IT planning process can be cumbersome and a lot of work especially if your business case or project is not approved.

The cafeteria is awesome, and there is a gym and little concessionary shop within the building. Totally awesome campus with a great vibe!
Pros
Subsidized food, yummy food, cool co-workers
Cons
Unfunded projects
Great place to learn social skills from
Grocery Bagger/Courtesy Clerk/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QCJune 21, 2016
As a first job, I was able to learn important things such as communicating with the customers, taking complaints the right way and managing my bank account. I enjoyed working there, my co-workers were fun, enthusiastic people who helped me as well in the whole learning process. The part I most enjoyed about the job was communicating with customers and solving problems related to that.
Terrible place to work
Baker (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBJune 20, 2016
I only stayed 1 week at this job as it was not what I expected. Even the most simple tasks are made difficult because the freezer where you get your products out of is usually filled with baking racks that are in your way. Also I was told to just climb on top of boxes of food to get to the boxes in the back.
Hygiene takes a back seat as well. I am surprised people are not getting sick.
Pros
Cons
minimum wage
garden center is a fun place to work
Grocery Clerk (Current Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ONJune 1, 2016
A typical day at work would be asking management what task to start off with and continues do to each task after each one is done.

What I learned is patience with customers in upsetting situations and how to deal with the matter.

Management works with me most of the time to help me focus on what needs to be done and how it will be done.

Co-workers are friendly and always helpful.

Hardest part of the job is managing an irate customer who argues your aid on the problem your dealing with.

Most enjoyable part of the job is working with a pleased customer who trusts your aid.
Pros
free lunches sometimes
Cons
slow salary raises
Its Okay
CASHIER (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCMay 26, 2016
Everyday varies as it mostly depends on the amount of costumers. Busy days I deal with stressful time, however, I manage it simply and improve my fast working skills. I enjoy talking to costumers, and now get to know the common customers. On less busy days, I tend to volunteer to work at other departments as they always have things to do and I rather do work. I got experience in many other departments. However, the store doesn't have any benefits offered, not even discounts on anything, sometimes free food. The management is also not great and sometimes appears to be less educated.
Forward looking business model to maintain industry edge
Data Storage Systems and Solution Analyst (Current Employee) –  Brampton , ONJuly 9, 2016
Moderate work environment, leading Canadian retail organisation with businesses focused on grocery, gas bars, health care and support.

Financial institution data management and support.
Pros
Colleague discount program available for items on promotion
Cons
Jobs Outsourcing
Good for people who don't want many hours.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONAugust 28, 2016
This job was not a very good one. The employers do not care much for their employees. They will promise promotions with out ever giving them to make you work harder. Also, the hours are very scarce, giving only up to 11 hours a week even with fully open availability.
Pros
Many breaks
Cons
The people and surroundings
Flexible with schedule, but awful management.
Loss Prevention Officer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 19, 2016
It's a job that needs experience and it helps expand your knowledge in the loss prevention field. Unfortunately the management that controls the loss prevention lacks professionalism. Bad communication and apprehension policies for both internal and external are ludicrous. As a person with many years of experience, I was disappointed.
Pros
Flexible with schedules and weekends off
Cons
Horrible communication
Bad work environment/ Sr. management is awful
Sr. Payroll Analyst/Team Lead, Franchise Payroll (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBSeptember 12, 2016
Salary is not competitive for the amount of work you are expected to do. The Sr. Management in the payroll department is awful, horrible to work with. Middle management isn't much better with the exception of one but one out of 3 isn't reason enough to stay.