Loblaw Employee Reviews

Very intense jobs but heavily seasonal
Electronics Clerk & Portrait studio Photographer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON22 February 2018
Customers at loblaws are normally regulars as it was a small department and not many knew about it. Photography was very seasonally heavy as christmas would increase sales by a large amount. During these high seasons such as christmas the understaffed department only had two photographers and often relied on me to work overtime and do double bookings on solo shifts and get everything done which could be a difficult task for one person.
Pros
Paid breaks and union
Cons
Understaffed department
Fun place to work
Merchandising Manager (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON22 February 2018
Overall great place to work for young students coming into the industry to help develop their skills. Offers a good corporate cultural experience with many different business units.
Pros
Culture and overall business
Cons
Salary and compensation
Poor Working Environment
Program Manager / Brands PLM (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON21 February 2018
Consultants treated as second class citizens, no place to work... was a scramble daily to find a place in the basement .... management poor HR ./ management skills
Pros
cafeteria is good, technical staff assisting with new staff excellent
Cons
poor management structure, limited work pace
a place where you will learn more and enhance your customer service skills
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON21 February 2018
As a cashier you will always encounter a long line-up in your lane but I do not forget to smile always and thanked the customer for shopping at Loblaws.
Pros
10% discount on grocery or whatever you buy from the store
Great for discounts and promotional T-Shirts
Department Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC20 February 2018
The work environment is very compelling and professional. Customer service is always key and very uplifting nature around other employees. Many new t-shirts so you will never have to worry about after work clothes.
Pros
Free Lunches/Dinners. Flexible Hours
Cons
Short Hours
Loblaws
Laborer (Current Employee) –  Moncton, NB18 February 2018
The money is good, but the work is not worth it. If you are looking for a job that will destroy your body look no further! Get ready for daily injuries!
Great place to work!
Order Picker (Former Employee) –  South Surrey, BC18 February 2018
It was a great place to work at. Management was super nice and the employees are amazing. Not one jerk in that entire building. The pay is great and they offer great benefits. Just be prepared to regularly work 10 hour shifts and do the same thing every day.
good fun job
Flow Operartions Clerk (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON15 February 2018
its a good fun job
pay could be better
hours are ok'
not bad for young people between the age on 15-25 mostly
the job gave a lot of back and knee problems
Great First Job!
Part-time Bakery Staff (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON15 February 2018
I worked for Loblaws at the beginning of my customer service career and found it a great place to start. I learned good communication skills and beneficial ways to balance my time between work and school.
Pros
Multi-tasking skills
Cons
Early mornings
Fun at the start .
GENERAL MERCHANDISE SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  London, ON13 February 2018
A friendly, engaging environment however, over time the amount of hours were slowly diminishing. Being there for over 6 years still didn't matter. I liked the culture, but the not 4 hours a week to enough.
Pros
discounts
Cons
shortage of hours
Leader in Grocer Retail
Department Manager (Former Employee) –  London, ON13 February 2018
Top Notch Product and Customer Service Training
High Standards of Health & Safety
Employee Opportunities for Advancement
Company committed to betterment in growth and change
Was a great place to get bearings for future jobs.
customer service (Former Employee) –  London, ON12 February 2018
As this being one of my first jobs, it was more or less just to show me the ways of being efficient while working in a team and individually. As I worked in the meat department, my duties were to cut meat, weigh meat, seal meat and ensure the department was always disinfected as different types of meat circulated throughout the department all day. In addition, we had inventory to label and store in the back freezer.
Pros
Fast paced
Cons
Customers + Groceries = Anger
Not very stable
Joe Fresh Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB11 February 2018
Hours are distributed based on the stores sales, and some weeks the part-time employees receive 0-5 hours. You require so many hours to advance places and have a guaranteed amount of hours, but it is difficult to do so when you get few hours a week. The breaks and benefits are good, and it is a good place to gain retail experience.
Benefits and pay, but corporate structure ruined it for me
MEAT CUTTER (Former Employee) –  Grimsby, ON11 February 2018
Good company, good benefits, people are good to work for. Most difficult thing for me is the corporate structure, you're always just a number and replaceable, thus it never feels like you can make a difference. The most important thing to a corporation and their shareholders is the bottom line. Slowly over the years, the full time wage and part time wage have been gradually getting closer, and often times going up slower than inflation.
More often than not, decisions that are being made are done by people who have degrees claiming they know what to do, when more often than not they have never worked a day in the retail aspect of the company. Constantly relining product to add more product when it does sell in all locations (I worked in a town of 30,000 of predominately white people. But head office constantly wanted us to sell Halal meat products when they wouldn't sell and get thrown out. The push for new product (often seasoned and marinated) never sold as it was priced much higher than tradition non-seasoned products.
The frustration of this happening every season and the same thing happening every time tagged along with the response of "just do it, that's what they want" and never getting any reasoning behind it as to why it's being pushed was very difficult for me.
As someone who always wanted to push the envelope and be the best employee, I found it increasingly difficult seeing these "ideas" as just a way for useless positions in head office to feel necessary to have a job when it could be used for the actual people who are hustling in the stores.
Pros
Other employees, getting to know the "regulars" and meeting new people everyday.
Cons
Corporate Structure.
Ótima empresa para se trabalhar.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Toronto, Canada9 February 2018
Loblaw foi mais do que um local de trabalho pra mim, foi também uma escola onde eu tive a oportunidade de aprender muito sobre o idioma e a cultura local.
Pros
Excelente Gerenciamento
Cons
Era apenas um emprego part time.
gym
Warehouse Assembler Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Regina, SK8 February 2018
Fun, but stressful
how to stock boxes and how to deal with time pressure.
I can rate then from scale of 1-10. They are 6 from my opinion.
warehouse
hardest part of the job is, building a perfect and stable pallet.
break time and going home not hurting yourself after work.
Agreable, courtoi
Travailler comme moniteur dans (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON5 February 2018
Les personnels courtois , professionnelle, agréable respectueux
Pros
Positif
Cons
Pas des heures suplementairez
Loblaw head office
SR. PROJECT COORDINATOR/PROCUREMENT (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON2 February 2018
Best job I have had. Colleagues, managers, work, life balance was excellent. The business really appreciates all of their colleagues.

Everyone works as a team and is always willing to help eachother out
Pros
A lot of freebies from suppliers
Cons
parking can be a pain
Good Company to work for
DEPARTMENT MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON1 February 2018
My years at Loblaws provided me with adequate pay and a great work atmosphere. Worked with wonderful people and made life long friendships. The hours worked with my life-work balance and enjoyed working with the systems and proud of my work.
Average place to work,poor management
Customer Service/Personal Shopper (Former Employee) –  Canada30 January 2018
Starter type of place if your amateur or first timer worker.This is a good place for student who wants to earn extra but not for a person who survive a family lifestyle.Very low opportunity to get further promotion than most company.
Pros
10% colleague discount that"s it!
Cons
Minimum wage for a lot of work load! so many lazy worker here esp.Local!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Loblaw. Our community is ready to answer.