Linamar Employee Reviews

physical job that requires one to sacrifice time for.
MACHINE OPERATOR (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON31 August 2017
come to work, change into working garments, punch in then go to work station. learned to operate different machinery. management was challenging because we were obligated to work overtime which was very challenging because me child was young at the time.

coworkers for the most part were helpful and friendly. many different cultures. The hardest part of the job was the changing shifts and the length of shifts.

The most enjoyable part of the job was the paycheck.
Pros
non
Cons
long hours/standing all day/hard to commute.
Lots of hours available, not much time off
Machine Operator (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ON12 August 2017
The job isn't very difficult, it's very repetitive but you quickly get into a routine. Be ready to work 6 days a week 46-50 hours a week. Starting pay is fair at 14.75 an hour with a .50c shift premium for afternoon and night shifts. After a three month probationary period you'll be making decent money, being paid for quality parts and you'll earn $18-25 an hour on an average day.

Worst thing about working here is that the shifts rotate on a two week period, working day-day-night-night-afternoon-afternoon. Because of the noise and earplugs communication with coworkers can be difficult, which I enjoy because it lets me focus on my work.

Everything you need to know will be taught on the job, quotas are not difficult to meet. Plan to stand for the entire shift, there are no standing mats as you're working on metal grates. You're given all the PPE you are required to wear, and you're given $100 for work shoes. You're going to want to get the most comfortable you can find as your feet quickly become sore.
Pros
Good starting pay with advancement opportunity.
Cons
6 days a week with overtime, rotating shifts, standing all shift
a very fun place if you're into machinery
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON4 August 2017
I enjoyed working there, a good management system, friendly environment, and everyone were a team with one target for one missions, and the harder you work the better chance you have to be promoted
Pros
working shifts flexibility
Cons
very hot environment in the summer
Canadian Forces (Navy)
Clerk Canadian Armed Forces (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON14 June 2017
I loved working with the Canadian Forces. It gives you a sense of pride and the feeling that you are doing something in life that is work your precious time.
safty of others
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON22 February 2017
I love the job to be there early all the time
all kind of work in machine operator
I flow the real of company we where many in this company but it look like one family. no hard job ,enjoyable part last hour of shift
Pros
some time we had free lunch
Cons
we working long hours
Linamar was a good place to work
CNC Operator (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON27 January 2017
Loading and unloading CNC machines. Working with variety of gadgets and measuring tools. Learned how to be precise while making auto parts. Work place culture was very positive but management failed to provide safety working environment. Jon required a lot of heavy lifting. I enjoyed working with some very nice people that I am still in touch with.
Pros
Something new to learn
Cons
Dirty
It lives up to it's reputation
Production Worker (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ON19 December 2016
Not a terrible place to work, some of the production facilities are worse than others from a QoL standpoint, but the income for hourly employees is less than satisfactory for the repetitive work that is done out on the floors, something office staff in management don't seem to appreciate or even care about. Management is all dependent on the plant, and in some leadership is worse than others. Most co-workers are good people, one or two older guys are highly toxic in my facility and don't have medical clearance to do a reduced work load or lower job expectations but still get paid a lot more than those of us who do the entirety of their jobs. Rotating continental shifts at most plants makes for a rough social life though.
Pros
Straight day shift
Cons
Benefits getting cut, rate of pay not advancing with cost of living even when earned
Terrible envirement at work
Skilled trades (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON15 December 2016
cheap company.not recommend to my enemy.bad work ethic,cheap money,hard work, 6 days a week work, no family life, bad management,high stress, dirty and dusty work environment.
They cant find operator from Local area Guelph.
Pros
Pretend like big compay
Cons
Nothing good about anything for Linamar
It's okay
Machine Operator (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ON7 November 2016
My job at linamar is okay but I would like to start a career as something else other than a machine operator and welding seems like a perfect fit for me.
very busy
Machine operator (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON18 October 2016
All was needed more part's and overtime was all was available. besides them all was pushing for more and more it was a fun place. great teams and safe place.
Pros
lots of over time
Cons
rotation shift work
I don't know what to say
Tool Crib Attendant (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON22 September 2016
I'm just filling this in because they are requiring me too why I have to fill this out I have no idea I'm just trying to fill in 20 words
Pros
nothing
Cons
nothing
lots of hours
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON25 August 2016
you always have the option of working overtime. It is not the cleanest work environment but the people are very friendly.
Pros
lots of hours
Cons
rotating shifts
Terrible Environment, Terrible Conditions, Poor Compensation
Maintenance (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ON13 August 2016
A typical work day would require dealing with excessive heat, high productivity demands and poor resources.
The owner cultivates a culture of greed and impersonal tactics. Little value placed on people, unless they are manipulating the media. They are accustomed to high employee turnover. Pressured to work excessive hours.
Co-workers stick to their click groups
Hardest part of the job is the poor compensation package.
Learned new skills
Nice Place to Work
Machine Operator (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ON13 August 2016
Linamar provides you with a stable job, allowing you to earn money for your family and to provide a good life for them. The work can be challenging at times.
Pros
Safe Work Place
Cons
Demanding Quotas
a stifling environment
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON11 July 2016
there is nothing i could possibly say that this could make this an attractive workplace...if you enjoy working with lazy and mentally deficient persons, then by all means....do it. not the brightest bunch
Pros
free dough nuts
Cons
6 day rotating shifts
Money and hours when busy, not round year work, no job security/advancement
Welder (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON25 May 2016
Production work, good pay if you are a quiet obedient slave, asked to take breaks late 9/10 days and some days miss breaks. 5 days a week, 6 when they are busy and overtime is mandatory whenever they feel like, family takes a back seat, overtime always during summer saturdays. hardest part of the job is knowing management says one thing and does another, they have mottos and slogans townhall team meetings but its all mental nonesense mindgames, only a child would fall for that BS. best part of the job is working with some real people who have lives and families just like you do, and who you can relate to.
Pros
Great co-workers
Cons
Mandatory Saturdays during the best weather/weekends, low IQ management
NA (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ON31 March 2016
good place to work but needs to improve a few things such as technology processes and benefits.
Work closely with higher management including CFO/CEO
Coworkers are great. Nice small teams.
It's factory manual labour, it's simple repetitive work that anyone can do.
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON1 March 2016
This is simple manual labour that is very repetitive. It's a punch in punch out and go home type of job.
I learned a lot about the machining and auto manufacturing business and how things are made. The co-workers were all generally very helpful and good people to work with. Rotating shifts in 2 week intervals was the hardest part of the job.
Pros
Steady dependable paycheck
Cons
Mandatory overtime
Auto parts maker
GUAGE TECHNICIAN/QA Tech. Level (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON26 February 2016
I have worked for 9 plans in Linamar,I can do all jobs in QA department such as Quality inspector, Gauge tech and CMM programmer.
Pros
Cons
12 per day
good learning place
Quality Engineer (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON22 February 2016
I like company and its management. It is a great place to learn and improve skills. I recommend this company to every one.