Linamar Corp Employee Reviews

Poor work environment, with no chance of promotion
Operator (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON30 October 2016
Terrible place to work, unless you are coming from a third world country and somehow have it worse! Any advantage they can take from you they will. Whether that is reducing the price of your piece rate, increasing the target pieces per day, reducing the number of people on the line, or all three, this company wants to operate like 3rd world country in Canada.
Pros
At least you arent dead
Cons
You may actually die
They don't conform to the Ontario Labour Standards Laws
Labourer (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON3 September 2016
I worked at the Corvex plant we were doing 8hr shifts and getting appropriate break times according to labour standards 1 ten minute break in the morning and a 20 min lunch at noon. If you came in a half hour early you could have an extra 10 minutes on your lunch for a total of a 30 min lunch and it was paid for (cause you worked a extra half hr in the morning). Then they switched us to 12 hr shifts. and only gave us a ten min break in the first 6 hrs and a 20 min lunch. In the second 6 hours we only got a ten minute break. But labour standards says a half hour for every 5 hours you work. Which meant they were missing 20 minutes in the second 6 hour shift. I told them they were in error and they spent 4 months reviewing my claim at head office. I then put in an official claim to the labour board and my contract ended 2 days after they were notified I had. My claim went through and I received notice from the labour board that they had found that they were not complying with the labour laws and had fined them $300 and told them to fix the breaks and put a notice up on the employee time card area. Letting employees know that they had not been complying with labour laws for breaks. She said they had gave them 30 days to do this. But she told t me that at that point it had been 30 days since they notified Linimar and they still hadn't fixed the breaks or put up a notice so she'd be contacting them again to find out why. I also still have the letter stating all this from the Ministry of Labour. That was over a year ago and I spoke to a girl from my line nothing has changed! They'd  more... rather continue paying $300 fines then be fair to their employees. But god for bid an employee disobey their rules! Linda the CEO is just like her Dad doesn't give a care about her employees just the millions they make for her.  less
Pros
Employees and superviors at plant level were great, They follow saftey regulations to the extreme big fines if they don't
Cons
They ignor labour standards for break times, fines are small so they don't care, I complianed to the labour board so they ended my contract but I won
not recommended for trades people with a genuine license
Electrician Journeyman (Former Employee) –  Guelph Ontario26 July 2016
Unstable place to work at. All the other reviews are really true!
I wonder why every day they advertise for electricians and other trades. No decent tradesman would work there. Once a small project is completed you will be laid off.Long, hot hours to work on dirty old old equipment.
Pros
somewhat decent pay
Cons
long hours.On probation forever so you can be terminated for no reason anytime
Linamar at Linex
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON29 June 2016
Linamar is a good overall company.

Good jobs if you like labour. Lots of good hands on training and knowledge. However it seems that they don't really keep folks past 6 months, and only offer contracts. Kinda frustrating when your looking for long term employment. They miss out on hiring some really great talent.

A good source of mine said that this is the nature of Linamar, and they really only hire on after two or three attempts. So in short, if your looking to get on with them, expect to only have a six month contract. Cheers!
Pros
Good solid labor job, Lots of training, Lots of knowledge, and not bad wages.
Cons
Short term contracts, rotating shifts, and not hiring for long term.
Terrbible
Line Setup (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ON3 June 2016
This place is so bad I don't have enough space to explain, it ranges from being watched like a hawk when work is slow, to being ignored when your swamped with work and are asking for help. They take advantage of non English speaking people by telling them; they "must" come in on holidays, punching in 2 minutes before your shift is considered late and you must be docked half an hour, and having foreigners work 12 hour shifts 7 days a week on a "Work Vacation".
When calling in sick you get punished by having to sign a "pink" sheet, then your monthly bonus gets docked, but not just your monthly bonus but your entire departments monthly bonus. These actions are illegal as Canadian law states that a employee receives 10 sick days each year that they cannot be punished for either monetarily or socially in any way.
Then come the absurd lies, stating that we are not making any money so the yearly raises are kept to a minimum, but don't worry your promotion is just around the corner. Half the company consists of machine set ups being payed machine operator wages in order to keep costs down, and once again this largely takes advantage of foreigners as they either don't know they should be getting payed more ore are too desperate for a promotion to simply refuse. Do not be fooled by these illusions of grandeur, your skill and work ethic does not guarantee your promotion.
Pros
most of the people
Cons
everything
Bahahaha Linamar Corp.
Electrician (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON29 May 2016
The absolute worst place a tradesman can "work". If you're an Electrician, avoid this corporation like the plague!... Unless you're looking for a free ticket to the circus, you will be thoroughly disappointed in absolutely every possible way.

Pay: $30/hr

Benefits: the only benefits I've ever had that don't cover anything (all coverage's have exclusions of some kind)... And I've had excellent and mediocre benefits in the past.
Pros
There are great people hidden in the nooks and crannies
Cons
Almost anything you can think of relating to work
No Job Security, plenty of layoffs
Materials Coordinator (Former Employee) –  materials26 January 2016
A good place to work if you like getting laid off for no reason and then they post , hiring all positions the next day, The management only protects your job if you are in with the crowd and is willing to keep your mouth shut and do as they say, wrong or right.
Pros
good work hours
Cons
they lay you off before you are able to get benefits.
its okay
Packer (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ON16 November 2015
I'm not happy with the hours. I would just like to find a job where i can have a set schedule. I don't like shift work.I would be more comfortable with a job that only takes up my day i like to have my dinner at home and sleep at night.
Repetitive with long hours
program manager (Former Employee) –  Guelph26 September 2015
After a few years of staying at the same desk as a program manager doing the exact same thing day by day and working with college "engineers" decided to look for an actual engeering job.
Pros
living in Guelph
Cons
long days, no useful benefits, repetitive, low pay
Assembler line work
Assembly line worker (Current Employee) –  Guelph6 December 2014
Very good place to work. security for job bit payments not enough for living, too much over time available if you have no family you can live there to make money little by little. People are nice and the human resources help you the most. My only dislike is you are not a human there most of the time consider yourself as a machine too😐
Pros
Clean place to work too much over time. Can make money.
Cons
No time for family, low pay excess hours benefits not good.
Dickensian Workhouse
Not Management (Current Employee) –  Guelph5 December 2014
Work 3 months at a hair above mail minimum wage doing hard physical labor. Then another three months with a slight pay raise.
No warm water in the bathroom, wear your hearing protection at lunch as the area is on the shop floor.
As a temp to perm hire you are treated like garbage. Once hired there are some nice people and your wage and incentive package isn't bad.
All the charm of a soviet gulag unless you're in the in crowd.