Leukemia & Lymphoma Society Employee Reviews

I would not work here
Temporary Campaign Assistant (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYOctober 20, 2015
I started working at the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society in August 2015. I was hired on as a temporary Campaign Assistant. My assignment was supposed to be from August to March. I have this in an email from my former manager. I was call into the office one day and told my position had ended. They said we met our goal and had to make budget cuts. Of course, I don't believe this at all. There are a lot of politics and power hungry people in upper management. I would not suggest working here even as a temporary employee.
Pros
Coworkers
Cons
No job security
It was a very mundane workforce
tele-recruiter (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXJanuary 20, 2016
I did not enjoy working by myself at a desk. I thrive when I get the chance to be creative and with people and this was telerecruiting. My job was to call local schools and get them on board with our fundraiser for kids with cancer.
Challenge and Joy
Controller / Fundraiser (Former Employee) –  Jackson, MSJuly 7, 2016
Finding creative ways to raise research dollars was both a challenge and a joy. This occurred with industry mandated programs but also in communication techniques that prompted a donor to give or to give more. It involved working with many types of people, both as co-workers and as volunteers to the Society.
Pros
Feel good position - giving back to society
Cons
Frequent turnover of upper management
Nice and home-like kitchen for emloyees
Marketing intern (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXMay 18, 2015
I was daily responsible for designing the flyers and leaflets for each major marketing campaign or event. Also, I would help them contact their potential donor to persuade them into being regular donors towards their programs. Besides, I edited and managed their official website concerning the information to be updated once in a while. The most important thing I've learned from this position is teamwork. I have to make sure every one was on the same page in order to make the final decisions. Their culture and management is great and everyone could be fairly treated as one of a big family. The most challenging part of this internship was to keep donors being our regular donors while the most enjoyable part of the job would be to talk with people on the phone and share our stories with them.
Pros
Free breakfast
Cons
Short break
place to grow
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles County, CAApril 10, 2016
I have gain knowledge and given the opportunity to grow
I have made lots of friends

I have been given the opportunity to learn about Non-profit
Pros
can speak with my Supervision when ever
Great working environment
Campaign Assistant (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMarch 22, 2016
Loved working for this organization. Everyone worked well together and was always willing to help another colleague with an upcoming progress.
Great Place to work
Accounts Payable Clerk (Former Employee) –  White Plains, NYFebruary 21, 2016
Was a great working environment, if I could I would still work there assisting people who are in an unfortunate situation.
Pros
Helping people in need
Cons
relocation
Productive and Professional Workplace
Development Intern (Former Employee) –  Conshohocken, PANovember 4, 2015
During my time as an intern for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society I experienced an extremely professional yet friendly work environment. While aiding staff members in the office they took the time to help me learn the daily activities and responsibilities required to work in an office setting. It was a great opportunity for me to accept responsibility and to carry out tasks with little to no supervision.
Not where you want to work
Executive Director (Former Employee) –  White Plains, NYOctober 5, 2012
Throughout the interview process you are told what a great place LLS is to work, how they value work/life balance, creativity, hard work and dedication.
The fact of the matter is this place is a puppet show. If you don't follow the puppet master, reward favorite employees even when they are not performing and buy into the LLS mentality of this is how we've always done it, you're out.
The culture encourages bullying and sabotaging your co-workers to get ahead.
Sixty-plus hours a week are expected and don't admit to having a life outside of work, you'll be punished for it.
Good People and Cause, Average Pay, Fundraising is hard
Pennies for Patients School Recruiter (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJanuary 19, 2015
The Leukemia and Lymphoma Society is a great place to work. I feel like I'm doing a good thing everyday I go to work. on the downside, fundraising can often feel like telemarketing. Lot's of the people we contact are not interested and don't have time for us.
Pros
good people, decent pay
Cons
temporary positions, hard to raise funds
Not a place to advance your career, good for short term
Home Office (Former Employee) –  White Plains, NYMarch 24, 2013
Typically there are 1 or 2 people doing the work of 4 or 5. Work very long hours, nights & weekends. Very poor management styles from the top down. For the most part co-workers are good people which makes it tolerable. This company does not value a work/life balance, you will be pre-judged as not being available and it will be held against you.
Pros
helping patients & families with blood cancers
Cons
difficult environment to work
Listen to the reviews here, please!
Coordinator (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaMarch 23, 2013
Cannot believe how accurate the reviews here are! Co-workers are out to get you to save themselves since there is very little (if any) job security. Be ready to compete with the executives favorites to save your job. regardless of how well you do your job, if you're not a favorite, you're not staying.
Good cause managed by the wrong people
Former Employee (Former Employee) –  Los AngelesApril 8, 2013
Similar experience with every other poster here. I'd agree with management having preferences over work quality and would constantly hear about the turnover rate. Pay is decent but IMO, not worth the hassle of poor management.
Pros
good cause
Cons
poor job security, high turnover
Non-Profit Giving
CAMPAIGN MANAGER- LIGHT THE NIGHT WALK (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CAJanuary 16, 2014
I thoroughly enjoyed working for a greater cause such as curing cancer. Being a cancer survivor (thanks to LLS) at such a young age, my mission was always to give back to others the way they gave back to me. As much as I would love to make this my career, there is no room for advancement or growth.

It has been a blessing to have worked with this organization, but I would love to find something I can grow into and advance within the organization all while developing and fine tuning my skills and expertise.
NIGHTMARE
Campaign Director (former) (Former Employee) –  Greater Los Angeles ChapterNovember 11, 2012
Backstabbing, bullying, unethical, corrupt high level staff, HUGE trunover, low pay and evil. This organization has got to be the worst organization I have ever worked for...just look at the reviews. As Campaign Director I was expected to "manipulate reviews" allowing termination of good employees who happend to be disliked by executive staff.
Pros
raisning money for the cause only. however, i would donate your money and time to another organization and mission.
Cons
you name it.
Best for entry-level self starter
Campaign Manager (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLApril 1, 2014
This is a good place to start in the not for profit field because of the many opportunities to collaborate with co-workers. While it is rewarding work intrinsically the salary is not sufficient for those with experience. Training is not very consistent but there are tools available for an eager new employee to seek them out and explore on their own.
Poor management and terrible company culture
Campaign Manager (Former Employee) –  Campaign ManagerSeptember 18, 2012
The management is awful. They are insecure and lack confidence so they aren't open to any ideas that aren't theirs. You don't need to do a good job to get promoted, you just need to suck up to the right people. Turnover is terrible because they don't place any kind of value at all on their employees. I would never recommend for anyone to work there.
Non-profit with corporate sales practices
Campaign Manager Assistant (Former Employee) –  Los AngelesJune 13, 2014
Yes we hope we are raising funds for a good cause, but I wonder. I was hired as a contract school and youth assistant campaign manager. It was telesales boiler room, being on the phone non-stop for 5 hours, harassing poor teachers by interrupting them during class time. You will become that telesales person who calls you during dinner "Asking is this a good time?" There is no creativity, as you'll be reading from a script. Your name will be on a board and the number of registrations you closed will be next to it. You ring a bell when you close a school or play silly motivated games to win a $5 target gift card.

I would say the best part I met some incredible nice people who were also temporary contract employees. We just bonded as it was a toxic environment.
Pros
free paid parking
Cons
everything
Internship
Intern (Current Employee) –  Bethlehem, PAFebruary 19, 2015
Each day at my internship makes me feel that I am helping to make a difference in the fight against cancer. Even though my part is small I try to the best of my abilities to help in any way. I've learned about all the elements it take to run an efficient campaign. There is a huge amount of planning, preparation, and communicating with all the entities that are involved in a campaign. It is a rewarding job and my experience so far has been wonderful.
Leukemia & Lymphoma Society
Student Intern (Former Employee) –  Ridgeland, MSJune 4, 2012
Productive Workplace. Great job, great interaction with staff and management staff. Wished it were a full-time position.
Pros
enjoyable job
Cons
not a full-time position

2.7