Leukemia & Lymphoma Society Employee Reviews

place to grow
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles County, CAApril 10, 2016
I have gain knowledge and given the opportunity to grow
I have made lots of friends

I have been given the opportunity to learn about Non-profit
Pros
can speak with my Supervision when ever
Productive and Professional Workplace
Development Intern (Former Employee) –  Conshohocken, PANovember 4, 2015
During my time as an intern for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society I experienced an extremely professional yet friendly work environment. While aiding staff members in the office they took the time to help me learn the daily activities and responsibilities required to work in an office setting. It was a great opportunity for me to accept responsibility and to carry out tasks with little to no supervision.
It was a very mundane workforce
tele-recruiter (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXJanuary 20, 2016
I did not enjoy working by myself at a desk. I thrive when I get the chance to be creative and with people and this was telerecruiting. My job was to call local schools and get them on board with our fundraiser for kids with cancer.
I would not work here
Temporary Campaign Assistant (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYOctober 20, 2015
I started working at the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society in August 2015. I was hired on as a temporary Campaign Assistant. My assignment was supposed to be from August to March. I have this in an email from my former manager. I was call into the office one day and told my position had ended. They said we met our goal and had to make budget cuts. Of course, I don't believe this at all. There are a lot of politics and power hungry people in upper management. I would not suggest working here even as a temporary employee.
Pros
Coworkers
Cons
No job security
Great working environment
Campaign Assistant (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMarch 22, 2016
Loved working for this organization. Everyone worked well together and was always willing to help another colleague with an upcoming progress.
Great Place to work
Accounts Payable Clerk (Former Employee) –  White Plains, NYFebruary 21, 2016
Was a great working environment, if I could I would still work there assisting people who are in an unfortunate situation.
Pros
Helping people in need
Cons
relocation
Nice and home-like kitchen for emloyees
Marketing intern (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXMay 18, 2015
I was daily responsible for designing the flyers and leaflets for each major marketing campaign or event. Also, I would help them contact their potential donor to persuade them into being regular donors towards their programs. Besides, I edited and managed their official website concerning the information to be updated once in a while. The most important thing I've learned from this position is teamwork. I have to make sure every one was on the same page in order to make the final decisions. Their culture and management is great and everyone could be fairly treated as one of a big family. The most challenging part of this internship was to keep donors being our regular donors while the most enjoyable part of the job would be to talk with people on the phone and share our stories with them.
Pros
Free breakfast
Cons
Short break
Internship
Intern (Current Employee) –  Bethlehem, PAFebruary 19, 2015
Each day at my internship makes me feel that I am helping to make a difference in the fight against cancer. Even though my part is small I try to the best of my abilities to help in any way. I've learned about all the elements it take to run an efficient campaign. There is a huge amount of planning, preparation, and communicating with all the entities that are involved in a campaign. It is a rewarding job and my experience so far has been wonderful.
Good People and Cause, Average Pay, Fundraising is hard
Pennies for Patients School Recruiter (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJanuary 19, 2015
The Leukemia and Lymphoma Society is a great place to work. I feel like I'm doing a good thing everyday I go to work. on the downside, fundraising can often feel like telemarketing. Lot's of the people we contact are not interested and don't have time for us.
Pros
good people, decent pay
Cons
temporary positions, hard to raise funds
volunteer
Seasonal Volunteer (Current Employee) –  new york new yorkMay 7, 2015
i learned about cancer i found my job easy cause we was dealing with people who service cancer and people that going thru it and awardness.
Non-Profit Giving
CAMPAIGN MANAGER- LIGHT THE NIGHT WALK (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CAJanuary 16, 2014
I thoroughly enjoyed working for a greater cause such as curing cancer. Being a cancer survivor (thanks to LLS) at such a young age, my mission was always to give back to others the way they gave back to me. As much as I would love to make this my career, there is no room for advancement or growth.

It has been a blessing to have worked with this organization, but I would love to find something I can grow into and advance within the organization all while developing and fine tuning my skills and expertise.
Not where you want to work
Executive Director (Former Employee) –  White Plains, NYOctober 5, 2012
Throughout the interview process you are told what a great place LLS is to work, how they value work/life balance, creativity, hard work and dedication.
The fact of the matter is this place is a puppet show. If you don't follow the puppet master, reward favorite employees even when they are not performing and buy into the LLS mentality of this is how we've always done it, you're out.
The culture encourages bullying and sabotaging your co-workers to get ahead.
Sixty-plus hours a week are expected and don't admit to having a life outside of work, you'll be punished for it.
NIGHTMARE
Campaign Director (former) (Former Employee) –  Greater Los Angeles ChapterNovember 11, 2012
Backstabbing, bullying, unethical, corrupt high level staff, HUGE trunover, low pay and evil. This organization has got to be the worst organization I have ever worked for...just look at the reviews. As Campaign Director I was expected to "manipulate reviews" allowing termination of good employees who happend to be disliked by executive staff.
Pros
raisning money for the cause only. however, i would donate your money and time to another organization and mission.
Cons
you name it.

Comment – July 16, 2013

This describes the Indiana Chapter as well. It's really too bad. The cause is great but the organization needs a management overhaul from the top down.

Not a place to advance your career, good for short term
Home Office (Former Employee) –  White Plains, NYMarch 24, 2013
Typically there are 1 or 2 people doing the work of 4 or 5. Work very long hours, nights & weekends. Very poor management styles from the top down. For the most part co-workers are good people which makes it tolerable. This company does not value a work/life balance, you will be pre-judged as not being available and it will be held against you.
Pros
helping patients & families with blood cancers
Cons
difficult environment to work
Non-profit with corporate sales practices
Campaign Manager Assistant (Former Employee) –  Los AngelesJune 13, 2014
Yes we hope we are raising funds for a good cause, but I wonder. I was hired as a contract school and youth assistant campaign manager. It was telesales boiler room, being on the phone non-stop for 5 hours, harassing poor teachers by interrupting them during class time. You will become that telesales person who calls you during dinner "Asking is this a good time?" There is no creativity, as you'll be reading from a script. Your name will be on a board and the number of registrations you closed will be next to it. You ring a bell when you close a school or play silly motivated games to win a $5 target gift card.

I would say the best part I met some incredible nice people who were also temporary contract employees. We just bonded as it was a toxic environment.
Pros
free paid parking
Cons
everything
Best for entry-level self starter
Campaign Manager (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLApril 1, 2014
This is a good place to start in the not for profit field because of the many opportunities to collaborate with co-workers. While it is rewarding work intrinsically the salary is not sufficient for those with experience. Training is not very consistent but there are tools available for an eager new employee to seek them out and explore on their own.
Exciting place to work with all the research breakthroughs happening
Area Executive Director, Southern CA Region (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAFebruary 24, 2014
Wonderful staff and volunteers who believe in the mission and will do whatever it takes to find a cure. Everyday is different which is what makes it a great place to work.
Pros
working with amazing volunteers
Cons
knowing there are more research grants that deserve funding and the money isn't there
Poor management and terrible company culture
Campaign Manager (Former Employee) –  Campaign ManagerSeptember 18, 2012
The management is awful. They are insecure and lack confidence so they aren't open to any ideas that aren't theirs. You don't need to do a good job to get promoted, you just need to suck up to the right people. Turnover is terrible because they don't place any kind of value at all on their employees. I would never recommend for anyone to work there.
Nice place to work, but limited employment (non-profit org)
Marketing Assistant, Temporary (Former Employee) –  White Plains, NYMarch 8, 2013
I worked at LLS for just a few months as a temporary employee. I found most of the employees friendly and that contributed to a pleasant work environment. There is very limited employment opportunity, considering it is a non-profit organization.
Pros
pleasant work environment
Cons
limited employment opportunity
job culture
stewardship (Former Employee) –  white plains , nyNovember 21, 2014
Great place to work, nice poeople , not very stressful

A day at work can be bust lots of spread shieets, powerpoints and high demand of projects with deadlines
Pros
nice people, casual enviroment
Cons
promised a full time job aty end of temp - however never had funds for it