Leukemia & Lymphoma Society

Leukemia & Lymphoma Society Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Non-profit with corporate sales practices
Campaign Manager Assistant (Former Employee), Los AngelesJune 13, 2014
Pros: free paid parking
Cons: everything
Yes we hope we are raising funds for a good cause, but I wonder. I was hired as a contract school and youth assistant campaign manager. It was telesales boiler room, being on the phone non-stop for 5 hours, harassing poor teachers by interrupting them during class time. You will become that telesales person who calls you during dinner "Asking is this – more... a good time?" There is no creativity, as you'll be reading from a script. Your name will be on a board and the number of registrations you closed will be next to it. You ring a bell when you close a school or play silly motivated games to win a $5 target gift card.

I would say the best part I met some incredible nice people who were also temporary contract employees. We just bonded as it was a toxic environment. – less
Excellent Place to WOrk
Staff Acct/Financial Analyst (Former Employee), White Plains, NYJune 11, 2014
After graduation this company allowed me to apply my knowledge obtained in school and develop my skill in a practical manner. Excellent place to work.
Best for entry-level self starter
Campaign Manager (Current Employee), Orlando, FLApril 1, 2014
This is a good place to start in the not for profit field because of the many opportunities to collaborate with co-workers. While it is rewarding work intrinsically the salary is not sufficient for those with experience. Training is not very consistent but there are tools available for an eager new employee to seek them out and explore on their own.
Exciting place to work with all the research breakthroughs happening
Area Executive Director, Southern CA Region (Current Employee), Los Angeles, CAFebruary 24, 2014
Pros: working with amazing volunteers
Cons: knowing there are more research grants that deserve funding and the money isn't there
Wonderful staff and volunteers who believe in the mission and will do whatever it takes to find a cure. Everyday is different which is what makes it a great place to work.
Great Cause, non-profit
Campaign Intern (Former Employee), Atlanta, GAJanuary 21, 2014
Pros: great cause
Cons: not respected
As an intern you do anything and everything asked, yet was not really rewarded
Non-Profit Giving
CAMPAIGN MANAGER- LIGHT THE NIGHT WALK (Current Employee), Sacramento, CAJanuary 16, 2014
I thoroughly enjoyed working for a greater cause such as curing cancer. Being a cancer survivor (thanks to LLS) at such a young age, my mission was always to give back to others the way they gave back to me. As much as I would love to make this my career, there is no room for advancement or growth.

It has been a blessing to have worked with this organization, – more... but I would love to find something I can grow into and advance within the organization all while developing and fine tuning my skills and expertise. – less
okay
Light The Night Campaign Director (Current Employee), Orange County Inland EmpireOctober 28, 2013
The plus has been working to find a cure for blood cancers and raising funds for patient services.
Executive Director (Former Employee), Atlanta, GAAugust 30, 2013
The LLS is great organization that allowed me to make a difference and move their mission forward.
Fun atmophere
Campaign Director (Former Employee), New JerseyJuly 15, 2013
Great place for entry level work. Will gain experience in a lot of different avenues.
Good cause managed by the wrong people
Former Employee (Former Employee), Los AngelesApril 8, 2013
Pros: good cause
Cons: poor job security, high turnover
Similar experience with every other poster here. I'd agree with management having preferences over work quality and would constantly hear about the turnover rate. Pay is decent but IMO, not worth the hassle of poor management.
Great Place to Work
School Recruiter (Former Employee), Chicago ILApril 3, 2013
Everyone friendly and hard working

Worked from 9-5 in a cubical calling schools to make donations to the organization. Registering people for schools on computer, order fulfillment, telephone communication, computer work. Top recruiter for 2 weeks.
Not a place to advance your career, good for short term
Home Office (Former Employee), White Plains, NYMarch 24, 2013
Pros: helping patients & families with blood cancers
Cons: difficult environment to work
Typically there are 1 or 2 people doing the work of 4 or 5. Work very long hours, nights & weekends. Very poor management styles from the top down. For the most part co-workers are good people which makes it tolerable. This company does not value a work/life balance, you will be pre-judged as not being available and it will be held against you.
Listen to the reviews here, please!
Coordinator (Former Employee), CaliforniaMarch 23, 2013
Cannot believe how accurate the reviews here are! Co-workers are out to get you to save themselves since there is very little (if any) job security. Be ready to compete with the executives favorites to save your job. regardless of how well you do your job, if you're not a favorite, you're not staying.
Great group to work with.
Campaign Assistant (Former Employee), Alexandria, VAMarch 13, 2013
Learned about fundraising campaign.
Great working environment
Called for in-kind donations
Nice place to work, but limited employment (non-profit org)
Marketing Assistant, Temporary (Former Employee), White Plains, NYMarch 8, 2013
Pros: pleasant work environment
Cons: limited employment opportunity
I worked at LLS for just a few months as a temporary employee. I found most of the employees friendly and that contributed to a pleasant work environment. There is very limited employment opportunity, considering it is a non-profit organization.
Challenging and rewarding
Undisclosed (Current Employee), UndisclosedMarch 2, 2013
Excellent opportunity for professional growth. Chapters throughout the US and a few in Canada.
NIGHTMARE
Campaign Director (former) (Former Employee), Greater Los Angeles ChapterNovember 11, 2012
Pros: raisning money for the cause only. however, i would donate your money and time to another organization and mission.
Cons: you name it.
Backstabbing, bullying, unethical, corrupt high level staff, HUGE trunover, low pay and evil. This organization has got to be the worst organization I have ever worked for...just look at the reviews. As Campaign Director I was expected to "manipulate reviews" allowing termination of good employees who happend to be disliked by executive staff.

July 16, 2013

This describes the Indiana Chapter as well. It's really too bad. The cause is great but the organization needs a management overhaul from the top down.

Volunteer
Volunteer (Former Employee), Louisville, KYOctober 11, 2012
Pros: short hours, computer fun.
I volunteered for a month and enjoyed doing so. Helping a great cause.

November 27, 2012

Volunteers do not know what it is like to work for Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. They keep their involvement VERY limited.

Not where you want to work
Executive Director (Former Employee), White Plains, NYOctober 5, 2012
Throughout the interview process you are told what a great place LLS is to work, how they value work/life balance, creativity, hard work and dedication.
The fact of the matter is this place is a puppet show. If you don't follow the puppet master, reward favorite employees even when they are not performing and buy into the LLS mentality of this is how – more... we've always done it, you're out.
The culture encourages bullying and sabotaging your co-workers to get ahead.
Sixty-plus hours a week are expected and don't admit to having a life outside of work, you'll be punished for it. – less
Poor management and terrible company culture
Campaign Manager (Former Employee), Campaign ManagerSeptember 18, 2012
The management is awful. They are insecure and lack confidence so they aren't open to any ideas that aren't theirs. You don't need to do a good job to get promoted, you just need to suck up to the right people. Turnover is terrible because they don't place any kind of value at all on their employees. I would never recommend for anyone to work there.