Leon's Employee Reviews

Worst place to work
Helper (Former Employee) –  Laval, QC9 October 2017
Terrible management very unprofessional and unorganized staff never seen nothing like this place before to be honest . They ask you to show up a little before 7:00 since you start at that time and the managers and the director of the warehouse itself are showing up 10-20 minutes later. As a helper you don’t know whom you’re working with and papers and scans (every morning they loose 10-15 minutes looking for them because anybody puts them anywhere they wants) aren’t ready till 8:00 to load up the trucks because as I said the management team is always late and they figure out everything in rush all the road papers for the delivery team which causes a lot of product error or oversights. As a helper or driver you don’t make no good money you’re better off at Mc donalds or tims. Even if they pay you at commissions at the end of the day you make less then minimum wage. Like many other said if you’re a new guy they just don’t care you have to figure out you’re own on how they’ll pay you, when you’re working, and whom you’re working with.
Poor management
Front office (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON19 September 2017
Leons provides a terrible work environment. The management team are lazy and would much rather deligate their jobs to the staff and sit on Facebook or sit in each other's offices gossiping. Management will require you to take manager calls because not everything "needs a manager" and expect the staff to train everyone who walks through the door. They leave new employees alone to fend for themselves instead of working unappealing hours. At the end of the day if you want to be stressed out 24/7 without help or training Leons is the place for you. #partofthefamily
Pros
Leaving
Cons
Mangement, pay
not a god place
Driver/Delivery (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB6 August 2017
do not even try you have been warned, i worked there for many years they do not have the respect for workers they pretend they do, its just a place to be if you're desperate
Boring
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB6 August 2017
The general sales aspect was great as you learned communication skills with managers as well as customers. It really places you on your toes as you must constantly adapt yourself to the environment.
Pros
Free pizza
Cons
No sale days
Worst place to work EVER
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Niagara on the Lake25 July 2017
This is the worst place I've ever worked at. They promised you a great wage and you are lucky to make gas money in a 2 week pay. The management was absolutely horrendous. They offer you no base wage just commission only. You can work a two-week work. And get a whopping $250 paycheck. You'd be better off working at McDonald's. You'd make more money.
Salespeople - commission only
sales (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BC26 June 2017
If there are no salespeople that have stayed longer than 6 months, then this will give you enough info. If you want to start your sales day at 6:30am on Black Friday and Boxing Day and the various special event days, then this job is for you! Customers can order online, so you don't get any commission when they go home and place their order from the convenience of their home. Also you get nothing when the customer cancels their order when it is taking too long to arrive from Asia.
Cons
It can take up to 4 months 2 get paid.
Expérience déprimante
Service à la clientèle (Former Employee) –  St.-Bruno-de-Montarville, QC22 June 2017
Sous-payé

Harcèlement psychologique provenant de la direction (Se faire littéralement crier dessus sans raison valable)

Le service après-vente est malhonnête (Refuser de venir en aide à une cliente par tous les moyens quand c'est clairement la faute de la compagnie)

Je ne recommande à personne d'y travailler (Succursale de St-Bruno)
Pros
Collègues solidaires
Cons
La direction est merdique
Good workplace
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON10 June 2017
This place gave me my first job. Sales at Leon's are always high. Every salesperson is asked to work under certain rules. The staff is well disciplined . The management is friendly and always busy in training the employees.
Pros
High pay
Cons
job insecurity
Good coworkers. bad management
Customer Care (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON24 May 2017
I was first a customer service representative. If a customer wanted to speak to a manager they would often tell us to deal with it ourselves. Once I assured the managers that they did not have any interest in speaking with me, they would give me attitude for passing the customer along, even though I tried my best to resolve the issue on my own. On one occasion, I had let my immediate manager know that I was ill and would not be in, and she then texted me 3 hours later to let me know that she wasn't scheduled to be in either. I then called the next available manager and he told me that I was an integral part of the staff and that I had to come in. He also told me if I was calling in sick that I needed a doctors note to explain my absence. I then became the interior decorator. I really enjoyed that position as I was often left to myself to set up and design different sets for customers to visualize what the set may look like in their home. I made $11.25 as a customer service rep and $11.40 as an interior designer. The hardest part of customer service was getting yelled at even though I was trying my hardest to find a solution. The best part was the incredible team I had to fall back on and give advice I can do for customers in a heated situation.
Pros
Amazing coworkers
Cons
Feeling like management didn't care
well managed work environment, clean
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON14 November 2016
clean work space not much to do as a warehouse worker so your days are spent wondering what to do if there is no list left by your manager mornings are the hassle having to tag the hole store.
Pros
slow days not much work
Cons
not much hours
Great place to start
Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Whitby, ON13 October 2016
You get to meet lots of different people, usually pretty fun place to work in. If you know how to sell you can make good money, the management will always help you to close the sale.
Pros
Co-workers, management, salary
Cons
Pressure to sell more
fun
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON1 July 2016
Pickle Barrel has a very energetic atmosphere and caring management. It is very well organized and everyone is a team player with good hours and benefits.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Hard for day offs
Avoid this place at all costs
Front Office (Current Employee) –  ON7 May 2016
Been here for a while, I am the only staff member at the front who speaks more than 2 languages, I have yet to have a customer or employee complain about me... You would think they would give me some compensation right? WRONG! I was told that becoming a supervisor would give me an increase of 0.25$ over minimum wage. I checked my paycheck a few weeks later and I'm only getting paid 0.15$ over minimum. Manager approaches me and says they made a mistake with the quoting and that this rate was not flexible. Flash forward 2 months later and I find out the other supervisor, who only speaks English, is not liked by anyone, and has only been working with Leon's for a year, is getting paid 0.30$ over minimum, and this was their starting pay, no raise included.

All in all, very shady and cheap with their pay, they have made their employees so paranoid, that employees now check their every paycheck in hopes that they are earning what they work hard for. It sucks because everyone is so nice and easy to get along with. If only they paid better and were honest and loyal with their quoting...
Pros
Nice co-workers, Office experience
Cons
Terrible pay
Terrible Company, Management and Work Environment!
Customer Care Representative (Former Employee) –  Ontario22 April 2016
It's almost difficult to know where to even start and probably aren't enough words allowed in this review to properly explain how terrible it was working for Leons, I don't wish it upon my worst enemy. First of all, the company claims they are family oriented and extremely religious (No tattoos showing in the workplace in 2015? Get with the times!).. The way I was treated as an employee both at company and store level is not very reflective of how one would treat a family member. The amount of bullying that takes place from grown adults within the customer care department is inexcusable. For the first 6 months I noticed the bullying but was not a 'victim' of it until I became friends with the person who was being bullied. I then became a full on target.. Sounds just like high school right? Its exactly the same. Too petty for my liking, not something I tolerate in my everday life (especially at my minumum wage job) and my attitude began to reflect this. After bringing these issues, which might I add, qualify as harassment, to my office manager, general manager and then district manager, still nothing was done about it and it continued. At this point, I gave up and simply concluded that this minimum wage job wasn't worth it and continued my 'work until they fire you' attitude. I'll add that I was a previous store manager and team leader so this was not my typical attitude towards my workplace. The scheduling is ridiculous.. you either work 9-1 or 5-9 as a part timer, nothing in the middle and you WILL work every weekend because the full timers only work one weekend a month. Management  more... cater to the full timers and veterans as does the company itself so if you are a part timer- don't expect any appreciation at all. The amount of work one does within customer care between general duties and financing organization, its simply not worth being paid minimum wage. Don't be fooled however, sometimes there will be nothing to do especially when the store is not busy and this is where it becomes dull and management and superiors expect you to do foolish things such as sweeping, mopping, changing garbages (We had a janitor for this) instead of training you to further your abilities and knowledge within your own department. I worked there for 18 months and after my initial training, I was not trained in anything new until 16 months later despite not having the knowledge, training or access to do everything required within my own department, to properly take care of customers. They constantly over hire part timers resulting in lack of hours for everyone as a whole, except full timers of course, as is the case with everything at Leons. They are a revolving door for employees; in my time working there, 2 managers, 5 drivers, 6 warehouse workers, 2 office workers and 4 sales people either quit or were let go. Thats almost 20 employees in 18 months!! The sales team at my local store were absolutely amazing and I have no complaints about them whatsoever- they functioned well together and helping them became the main focus of my shifts as they showed appreciation for our work and never made us feel unappreciated or not respected like the superiors and management in our own department did. After a social media harassment situation and the lack of action taken regarding this situation and following a breach of my rights regarding a small cash shortage situation - I launched an investigation into the company via the Labour Board. Although the investigation continues, they got wind that I was the one who launched the investigation and let me go 3 weeks later without reason. As you can tell I'm not grieving the loss of the job but I warn anyone thinking about working for this company to think twice before doing so. Its not worth it emotionally or money wise unless you are in sales and even that has its major downfalls. As someone who has been on the other side, I seen first hand how they mistreat both employees and customers by not taking any accountability. Needless to say, Leon's does not live up to the values and beliefs they claim their company is based on in terms of how they treat their employees and how they deal with issues that arise within the workplace. They would rather push issues under the rug and hope they go away instead of dealing with them and removing the negativity within the environment despite how long they have been with the company or their job title. If you are willing to kiss managements you know what, you may do fine but if you refuse to tolerate being treated and spoken to like a dog for minimum wage, I wouldn't even consider becoming an employee at Leon's furniture.  less
Pros
Great Sales Team, High Customer Interaction, Can Gain Experience with Financing Procedures
Cons
Too many to state: Scheduling, Management etc.
Great coworkers- backstabbing management
merchandising (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon26 November 2015
Sneaky vacation pay outs. They force you to go on a week vacation without pay. They make you think you're getting paid and then blame you for not taking the right steps. It would be helpful if management told you there were steps in the first place.
Pros
Great coworkers
Cons
terrible management
Awful place
warehouse (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON2 November 2015
They pay you the least amount possible. You never get a raise. You do very hard labour work. The sales people treat you like slaves. Management thinks you should be working every second of the shift even when there is no work to do, like its minimum wage!
Pros
Good hours, good school job
Cons
Bad pay, hard work, treated pourly
great people to work with
Warehouse worker (Former Employee) –  scarborough18 October 2015
great place to work.lots of work very little down time.if you are at at the company long enough you are able to get on the trucks
Pros
lots of hours
Cons
low pay
Lots of leads and opportunity to make money, but hard work required for extended periods of time to do so.
Furniture Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON2 September 2015
Overall a good work experience. Some negatives are that co-workers are adversaries, more than team members and it is difficult to maintain any social obligations due to the schedule. However, it is possible to make a decent living if you work hard.
Decent
Warehouse Associate (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB22 June 2015
Lots of nice people, lots of irresponsible people as well,
the hardest part of the job is finding other peoples mistakes and fixing them, the hardest part of the job is some heavy lifting is required on a daily basis
Customer Service Learning Experience.
Front Office (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB23 April 2015
Day consists of doing morning reports, setting up technician reports for broken furniture for customers, taking payments, checking emails, receiving phone calls.

I've learnt a lot in the past few months; gained a lot of customer service experience.

The hardest part was dealing with angry frustrated customers, but at the end you learn its not so bad, just have to smile through it.

Loved working with everyone, very cooperative and understanding co-workers and managers.
Pros
Got To Choose My Hours!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Leon's. Our community is ready to answer.

2.6