The Linux Systems Administrator is responsible for providing technical experience and expertise in preventing, responding, and resolving network and security-related problems in relation to the Linux based servers. This position is also facilitates the installation, configuration and maintenance of Linux servers and MySQL to support the company’s web-based applications. The position ensures reliable operation of production systems and diagnoses and troubleshoots availability interruptions and other production issues.
Principal Duties & Responsibilities:
1. Build, administer and support Linux server on production and test servers.
2. Implement and support network attached storage (NAS) and Storage Area Network (SAN) devices (IBM Total Storage, NetApp).
3. Implement and support virtual machine environments (vMware and ESXi technologies)
4. Research, analyze and recommend technologies and policies that improve the integrity and productivity of the information systems infrastructure taking the various multiple systems into consideration.
5. Administer Linux users, security groups and server access
6. Write and maintain system documentation and instructions on the operational functioning of systems (set ups, current state, etc.)
7. Backup and restore files and servers as required; i.e. disaster recovery
8. Provide end-user support as required
9. Relation database (MySQL) and no-SQL database administration
10. Administer production and testing web servers, (Apache, Tomcat, Jetty, Nginx)
11. Maintain, monitor, and tune Production system and applications performance
12. Assess performance problems and provide assistance to developers in troubleshooting systems
13. Identify opportunities to improve performance (e.g., automating manual system tasks).
14. Research/resolve issues and review related technology records to mitigate impact on assigned systems.
15. Resolve issues elevated from staff with less experience
16. Performance can be measured by the ability to promptly respond and resolve network issues to minimize interruptions in production and customer service
17. On-call availability as required
18. Other duties as assigned
- 3+ years experience with administrating Linux servers, physical and/or virtual
- Experience with relational databases (MySQL)
- Experience in setup, configuration and maintenance of Linux Web servers (e.g. Apache, Tomcat, Jetty, Nginx)
- Experience with automated scripting (Shell, Perl, Python, Ruby)
- Experience with Linux integration with Windows (e.g. Samba, Squid)
- Experience with VPN setup, configuration, security and maintenance
- Experience with networked attached storage and/or SAN
- Experience with system monitoring software (e.g. Nagios)
- Experience with DNS
- Experience delivering end user support
- Strong troubleshooting/problem solving skills
- Able to deal with sensitive matters in a confidential manner
- Demonstrated ability in exercising initiative in developing, adapting and applying procedures to address problem situations
- Well-developed interpersonal abilities and communication skills to interact with employees at all levels of the organization.
- Degree or diploma from a recognized technical college or institution an asset
Decision Making/Independent Judgment:
Position requires the ability to fully plan applications and make suggestions for implementation. Position requires high level decision making ability as well as a high level ability for independent judgment. Position does not have power to approve implementation.
Key Performance Indicators:
Performance can be measured by the ability to promptly respond and resolve network issues to minimize interruptions in production and customer service. Performance can also be measured by the successful completion of projects that meet required goals and timelines and by the ability to coordinate with IT to improve hardware performance and/or upgrades to systems.
Our client provides an excellent work environment and opportunities for challenge and development within the organization, and offers a competitive compensation package. If you believe you can make a strong contribution to this organization in the role of Linux Systems Administrator please contact Mario Tomberli, Legacy Bowes Group at (204) 934-8830 for further details.