Ledcor

Ledcor Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Productive and Supportive Workplace
Apprenticeship and Training Coordinator (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABOctober 24, 2012
Very busy days generally which I enjoy (fast-paced). I loved the ability to participate in team projects yet have the opportunity to work independantly.
one of the very best companies to learn with
Pipefitter (Former Employee), nisku fab shop, albionOctober 22, 2012
Pros: good people great for training
Cons: no dsp for apprentices
It is one of the best companies to learn with their mentor program in the nisku fab shop you are 2weeks learning one job then on to the next one,but I left when I was a 2nd year for 2.5 times the money to phoenix industrial at long lake
Well managed, positive work environment, clean, safe.
Trades (Current Employee), Nisku, AlbertaOctober 20, 2012
Pros: above average work environment.
Cons: hard to think of any
Very good work environment. Management is friendly and approachable. Excellent safety culture. Quality work encouraged. Strong work ethic encouraged. Good team work. Friendly environment. A good place to work and grow.
Fun, Educational, Profitable
Pipefitter/Steamfitter (Former Employee), Fort Nelson, B.COctober 17, 2012
Pros: horn river camp was awesome
Cons: the bus ride to and from work was aweful
Morning Meeting at 7am
Got the opportunity to learn from some of the most experienced Pipefitters out there.
Management could use improvement
Co-workers were fun and helpful
The hardest part of the job was being away from my family
The most enjoyable part of the job was learning
Great company to work for, I just need more time with my family.
Project Coordinator (Current Employee), Fort McMurray, ABOctober 16, 2012
I decided it was time for a career change as I was burnt out and stressed out as a broker. I landed a job with Ledcor due to a family member. I have moved up very quickly due to initiative, asking a lot of questions and the willingness to work with others. I moved from laborer to Project Coordinator to now being trained as a foreman in the major earth – more... works, civil area. Ledcor has given me a wealth of knowledge in varying aspects of the job. I am definately richer for the experience. It just turns out that I want to be with my family, if I can find appropriate employment. – less
Great job, low job security, layoffs in foreseeable future
Apprentice Electrician (Current Employee), Fort McMurray, ABOctober 16, 2012
Ledcor Inc is a great company with terrific benefits. They currently supply flights to and from the work site and house the employees in a great camp close to site.

The reason I am looking for a new job is because layoffs are in the foreseeable future with the current phase coming to an end.
Safe site,safety was always frist,organized,clean,great boss and great C.S.O i learned a lot.
Labourer (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCOctober 2, 2012
Pros: i worked inside, learned a lot about construction management.
Cons: repetative work.
Early 7am start,where and all there safety concerns are and what to watch for when working in a dangerous parts of our site,management was good C.S.O and the our boss,my C.S.O taught me a lot since I've been studying to take the course at B.C.I.T for construction management,co-workers where hard working the hardest part of my day would have to have – more... been the morning when it would rain,and the most enjoyable part of my day would be coffee time and home time. – less
safety culture with some hard situations due to the nature of the proyect
Pipefitter (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABSeptember 21, 2012
Pros: free lodge, transportation and food. good pay rate
Cons: long hours and extra commute to job site
this is a job that needs an extra effort due to the location,extreme weather and rotation of the personal, many situations to handle in very little time,
management doing a fine job with the rotations and accomodation ,transporttcion of personnel,
the job require 100% concentration of the perssonnel, every step of the way, at home, at the airport, at – more... the lodge, and at the jobsite.
The proyect itself is a very interesting one, I personaly enjoy working on it. – less
Excellent Company to work for
Pipefitter (Former Employee), Firebag, AlbertaSeptember 20, 2012
Pros: flights paid
Cons: sometimes travel doesn't cover flight costs, but all equals out in the end
Office staff is great, willing to work with employees

Supervision are pretty friendly and easy to talk to. Usually only have to ask for something once and it's done
Challeging, high paced, and team orientated
Project Administrator (Former Employee), Various northern locationsSeptember 19, 2012
Pros: great team environment, great self improvement programs
Cons: traveling away from home and family for work.
A typical work rotation starts with a flight from the Okanagan airport to a Northern destination. Upon arrival we get off a plane and find a vehicle one may or may not be provided. I would then drive typically 2 hours to a camp, unload my gear and head to site. During startup I would be responsible to furnish the office area with necessary items desks, – more... printers, stationary. After we have our management meeting to decipher the lodging requirements, transportation, equipment mobilization times and dates, and project materials. I would put together a master employee spreadsheet, and equipment spreadsheet based on a project schedule both organization tools for high volume tasks.
After determining the project needs, I would contact head office and start the hire-on process, this included reading and filing of hundreds of resumes. Working on short deadlines (two weeks) to fill the first seats I would start calling potential candidates for phone interviews. I would use a set of questions I have built to determine the skill set and level of the interviewees. I would then shift into getting the candidates drug and alcohol tested and book the rooms for the upcoming weeks. I would also contact the safety department to schedule the orientations. as the first group moved into second phase d/a testing i would start work on the second group same process until all shift rotations had been completed. During orientations I would introduce myself and answer any questions about shift schedule, payroll, camp, travel, transportation, food, salary, benefits, taxes, and any special circumstances.
After the hire-on process slowed I would then shift focus to capture project cost, tracking materials and production with spreadsheets. During bidding process the estimators put together a bid estimate, one of my jobs was to take the bid estimate and load the budget going through the project requirements and phases, this is the information i would use to create the tracking logs taking the cost code items I would then become the field liaison ensuring the filed supervisors and construction management had the correct codes allocated for the work being preformed in the field i would work closely with the field engineers and payroll department to ensure that we had not overshot our budget in certain areas. If we did need more time and cost dedicated to a cost code we would then re-evaluate our budget or go to negotiations with the client. Tracking extra cost items was also a daily task. during the project unforeseen circumstances will occur forcing us to re-evaluate or add to a specific cost item.

In preforming my job duties I learned a great deal about safety, people, business, and organization. working from afar was a huge challenge not being able to run to the store for materials or hire people in a face to face interview. I learned to manage my stress, taking a moment to stop and think or take a walk and re-evaluate the situation. Working in confined areas for many days at a time can often make other employees irritable, learning to handle people was one of the greatest challenges of all, Listening is your greatest tool of all, being sympathetic and understanding to employees that work away from family and home yet maintaining a professional attitude was one of the more useful things I have learned.

As Human Resources I was often faced with personal issues that arose for the field and office employees. It was really the hardest part, being that we worked abroad and had limited communication services I would receive notice and inform employees of hardships and family issues. I would then make arrangements to get them home and cover their shift.

The most enjoyable part of my position was the ever changing role and environment. I was able to move up and around within my company performing different tasks. It kept me learning and made me a more valuable employee. being one of the first on-site I could then mentor and coach other employees in the areas that i had been able to learn previously it made for more consistency in projects, and gave me an opportunity to fine tune my abilities. – less

February 25, 2013

Hi, what were your hrs every day? if I was going to work in on a industrial project how long can I expect my work day to be ? Thanks

Great Company No BS
EQUIPMENT OPERATOR (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, ABSeptember 19, 2012
Pros: lots of work, very safety concious, camp
Cons: 21 and 7 turn around
Ledcor was a great company to work for (Fort McMurray). Lots of benifits, competive wages and great management. If your hard working and easy to get along with this company will keep you for years to come.

I was never impressed with the union CLAC, and felt at times it hindered the company.

Over all great company.
It is a good company
Skilled Labourer (Current Employee), Fort McMurray, ABSeptember 16, 2012
Pros: good
Cons: not much
Up at six. Learned a few new things, Safety is number one. Management was good.Co- workers were awesome.
Learn new construction procedures, adapt to different styles of management due to the frequency of superintendent changes., 6 in 8 months.
Site Safety coordinator - only one on site (Former Employee), Fort McMurray airport expansion site, ABSeptember 13, 2012
Accomplih the daily tasks and get ahead on others.
Review, analyse old, present and future tasks.
Good communication with peers and coworkers.
satisfaction of accomplishment.
Great and awesome company, With great people
Skilled Labourer (Former Employee), Fort McKay, AlbertaSeptember 1, 2012
Pros: free lunches
While i was in Fort McKay i had lots of fun working for ledcor, they have a great staff and the other workers were awesome. The work was not hard or easy it kept us all on out tippy toes.
Review
equipment operator (Current Employee), Fort McMurray, ABAugust 9, 2012
Pros: good money
Cons: away from home
operating equipment on pipeline.Learning the pipeline business. Lots of help and support from management and co-workers.Hardest part of job is being away from family.Most enjoyable part is working outdoors and learning
fun place to work great bunch co-workers
Industrial Mechanic/Millwright (Former Employee), Fort McMurrayMay 4, 2012
Pros: charter flights home
Cons: food at camp
work day starts with safety and toolbox meeting .Tasks for day are assigned installing pumps.co-workers are enjole to work with.Hardest part of job working with heavy tools.most enjoyable part of job is co-workers
enjoyed work
Electrician apprentice (Former Employee), Fort Mackay, ABMay 3, 2012
Pros: good food
Cons: only 10 hour days
Working with EHT, cable tray and pulling cable. Good working enviroment.
Good company to work for
Project Superintendent (Current Employee), Selma, NSOctober 13, 2014
Very competitive company with great safety culture. Would recommend them to others.
was not a good compey
Field/Telecom Technician (Current Employee), Phoenix, AZFebruary 24, 2014
Pros: not good
Cons: not good
it was not good to work for ledcor management was not on your side
mining, not much else to say.
Lube Tech (Former Employee), Elko, NVDecember 21, 2013
Pros: the job
Cons: management, hours, weather
typical day at work was fueling and oiling large mining equipment, as well as doing the general maintenance on them.
learned the different weights of oil, as well as how to work with pieces of machinery big enough to kill me if not handled exactly right.
the upper management (and most immediate management) continuously showed that they didn't care for – more... the crews, just the numbers.
my co-workers are what made me go back everyday, they were fantastic and so funny. they definitely made that job.
the hardest part of the job was the schedule. 5 days working day shift, 2 days off, 5days on nights, 3 days off (only 2 actually due to the carry over on one of the days.).
the best part of the job was definitely the money on payday. – less

About Ledcor

The Ledcor Group of Companies is one of North America’s most diversified construction companies, serving the building, oil – Read more