Ledcor Employee Reviews

Great to work for
JOURNEYPERSON ELECTRICIAN (Current Employee) –  Fort Hills, AB28 May 2016
Great to work for. Team environment and reliable workers. Overtime isn't compensated like other sites I have been on. Will continue to stand behind ledcor
greta group of people to work with and always saftey orriented. if you did not understand something just ask.
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Chetwynd, BC29 January 2016
typical day would be show up to work and have our safety meeting in the morning to find out what would be going on the site and discussing how to better productivity. always keeping safety in mind finding out how they can better the site. they want you going home safely to your family at the end of each day. Doing our proper pre trip inspections on all the machines and reporting any issues that need to be dealt with. 12 hr shifts are breaks were broken up evenly and you got two 15min breaks and a 30 min for lunch.
lecdor
accountant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB23 January 2014
Great company great co workers great benefits. Easy to grow in this compant lots of great opportunities
Pros
free lunch holidays pay
Cons
in edmonton
Great work environment
Health and Safety Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB1 May 2014
great experience, terrific mentoring, great compensation.
Horrible Safety Culture
Safety Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Albian Sands27 August 2013
Ledcor does not care about their worker's safety. They punish anyone who brings up safety concerns, cover up incidents and don't report them to their clients. They hire inexperienced kids for Safety Coordinators because they're cheap. Management doesn't support them and bully them if they try to make changes.

If workers bring up safety concerns they are ignored and they are punished, usually by finding an excuse to fire them or lay them off at the first opportunity. Get hurt and go to first aid? Fired. Report an near miss? Fired.

They promote based on nepotism, not competence. Are disorganized and lie to get you to work for them. Avoid Ledcor at all costs.
Pros
Get paid on time.
Cons
Safety is an afterthought.

Comment – December 13, 2013

They still have one of the worst safety records at Albian. And they still cover up incidents. Shell is to blame as well. They know what's going on and they let them get away with it because they're cheap.

Good People
Foreman (Former Employee) –  Fort St. John, BC10 April 2014
Was glad to of worked for Ledcor at Encana. Benefits and accomaditions were great.
No Parts No tools No support
Heavy Duty Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC7 January 2016
One of the least organized or supportive companies I ever worked for. Enormous stress placed on their mechanics by lack of parts tooling and reference materials. Expected equipment running whether there were parts to repair or not. Management removing mechanics do not operate tags when equipment not fixed, etc.
Pros
Can't think of any
Cons
Constant stress
Northern Alberta Circus
Carpenter (Former Employee) –  FtHills, Alberta4 November 2015
Worked for very short term, 1 1/2/shifts, at Hills site doing concrete formwork.

Extremely congested worksite.
Numerous safety incidents, which probably didn't help the company in sustaining its work. Did not feel especially safe not well supported in taking issue with it to management. The day I arrived on site my foreman was suspended for having two crew members reporting incidents, both of which were very minor cuts or scrapes. Not conducive to reporting any further incidents.....

Tool crib was somewhat lacking, especially given they hired 30 new carpenters at once.
Throwing a bunch more guys at the work semed to work, even given the lack of additional management, since a bunch of new hires got laid of after only three or four weeks.
Management was poor, with little direction given to foremen until it was time to hurry up and get something done.
Full-time long term employees described it as the bigger Ledcor circus they had ever been on, but sadly it was the only game in town.
The only thing I miss is the pay.
Pros
Excellent pay. Camp was pretty decent. Suncor transportation system is actually pretty decent.
Cons
Management is a joke. Unsafe worksite.
Enjoyable
JM Scaffolder (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB25 April 2016
I enjoyed working for ledcor, gave me a better outlook on working as a family. I would recommend ledcor to other tradesmen
just starting out as a fitter
first year pipefitter (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB27 November 2013
hi i am just starting out as a fitter and i am really liking it i have learned a lot and wanna learn a lot more and get up to a j ticket a tipical day at work was flying pip in and put of the work area with a crane or a boom truck, assist welders with cutting and beveling the pipe then after welder welded we installed pipe doing bolt up. i have learned a lot but i need to know a lot more and i wanna learn to so di safely with other coworker i can ask questions. the hardest part of the job is not knowing what i had to to while doing a big lift i stood back ad asked my forman where he wanted me and what to do. i enjoy the job because it is a good gay that passes and i learn a lot every day i went back to camp with somthing nw under my belt
Pros
Cons
no loa
Productive job, friendly environment
Laborer (Former Employee) –  Kitimat, BC18 November 2015
Wages were great, safety was a big priority (and at times way overdone- knives were not allowed) Plenty of hours but no travel time between terrace and the job site was paid (equaled about 2.5 hours per day!) Was not given much opportunity for advancement in the time I was there, which was disappointing.
Great culture and co-workers.
Territory Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON8 June 2015
Ledcor is a great place to work. Corporate culture values on employee safety and well-being.

Managed a territory for VoIP service sales. Great co-workers that assisted in a team environment. Territory was my neighborhood, which made a work/life balance awesome ( no long commutes )

Data and decisions made by partner VoIP company made the position challenging.
Pros
Excellent culture
Productive with Professional and supportive co-workers, family oriented
Document Control Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Fort Hills Site , Fort Mckay9 September 2013
Ledcor Industrial Group hasliterally been one of the best companies I have ever worked for.

I started work with them in the Suncor Voyageur Project and everyday since has been a such a learning and unforgettable experience.

Everyday, I find myself surrounded by such wealth of experience and knowledge and these co-workers are so supportive and sharing that at some point they became like family. We work hard together and we make time to unwind together.

Ledcor has taught me many things, how to embrace a safety first culture and a high standard of work ethic. Ledcor has also given me several opportunities to grow via their learning programs and short courses.

Management has always been supportive , fair and open. I have worked for two different management teams, with different styles. but they both share common Ledcor Values and commitments to their employees.

The best part of the job is just knowing your part of something, and in your own simple way your contributing to the project.

The hardest part of the job is the uncertainty. As they say in construction you are working yourself out of a job.
Pros
employee focused Management and efficient Organizational Processes
Cons
Uncertainty with regards to next project ( especially for a Fort Mcmurray Local)
Good company to work for
Labourer (Former Employee) –  Boyle, AB18 February 2016
I've always had a good experience with Ledcor. They're a good company to work for. They believe highly in safety and making sure that every one and every thing is done safely. They take care of their workers.
Pros
Good money
Cons
Away from friends and family for long periods of time
good company to work for room for growth
Skilled Laborer/ Skidsteer operator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB2 December 2015
in my experience working for ledcor was great. I got hired on as a skilled labourer showed I could work hard and had a good head on my shoulders and they went above and beyond for me.
It was a decent company to work for, I just wish it would have lasted longer.
Labourer/Operator (Former Employee) –  Fort Hills, AB20 November 2015
Ledcor has the possibilities for advancement if you "know" the right people. Unfortunately that's not the way I work or choose to make advancements in a company, so my time there was limited.
Great camp enviroment with comfortable accomidations great people to work with
Coating Crew Labourer (Current Employee) –  Wandering River, AB20 May 2015
early starts with long work hours. at the end of the day you really feel as if you accomplished something.
Lots of opportunity to learn new equipment and different types of tools not often seen on typical job sites.
management was incredible very positive and always helpful with any questions
excellent co-workers with can do attitudes everyone got along great
hardest part of the job was the weather conditions hitting -57 some days
most enjoyable part of the day was being in an environment not many people would get to see.
Pros
excellent camp facilities
Cons
never home gone for 3-4 months at a time.
Challeging, high paced, and team orientated
Project Administrator (Former Employee) –  Various northern locations19 September 2012
A typical work rotation starts with a flight from the Okanagan airport to a Northern destination. Upon arrival we get off a plane and find a vehicle one may or may not be provided. I would then drive typically 2 hours to a camp, unload my gear and head to site. During startup I would be responsible to furnish the office area with necessary items desks, printers, stationary. After we have our management meeting to decipher the lodging requirements, transportation, equipment mobilization times and dates, and project materials. I would put together a master employee spreadsheet, and equipment spreadsheet based on a project schedule both organization tools for high volume tasks.
After determining the project needs, I would contact head office and start the hire-on process, this included reading and filing of hundreds of resumes. Working on short deadlines (two weeks) to fill the first seats I would start calling potential candidates for phone interviews. I would use a set of questions I have built to determine the skill set and level of the interviewees. I would then shift into getting the candidates drug and alcohol tested and book the rooms for the upcoming weeks. I would also contact the safety department to schedule the orientations. as the first group moved into second phase d/a testing i would start work on the second group same process until all shift rotations had been completed. During orientations I would introduce myself and answer any questions about shift schedule, payroll, camp, travel, transportation, food, salary, benefits, taxes, and any special circumstances.
After
  more... the hire-on process slowed I would then shift focus to capture project cost, tracking materials and production with spreadsheets. During bidding process the estimators put together a bid estimate, one of my jobs was to take the bid estimate and load the budget going through the project requirements and phases, this is the information i would use to create the tracking logs taking the cost code items I would then become the field liaison ensuring the filed supervisors and construction management had the correct codes allocated for the work being preformed in the field i would work closely with the field engineers and payroll department to ensure that we had not overshot our budget in certain areas. If we did need more time and cost dedicated to a cost code we would then re-evaluate our budget or go to negotiations with the client. Tracking extra cost items was also a daily task. during the project unforeseen circumstances will occur forcing us to re-evaluate or add to a specific cost item.

In preforming my job duties I learned a great deal about safety, people, business, and organization. working from afar was a huge challenge not being able to run to the store for materials or hire people in a face to face interview. I learned to manage my stress, taking a moment to stop and think or take a walk and re-evaluate the situation. Working in confined areas for many days at a time can often make other employees irritable, learning to handle people was one of the greatest challenges of all, Listening is your greatest tool of all, being sympathetic and understanding to employees that work away from family and home yet maintaining a professional attitude was one of the more useful things I have learned.

As Human Resources I was often faced with personal issues that arose for the field and office employees. It was really the hardest part, being that we worked abroad and had limited communication services I would receive notice and inform employees of hardships and family issues. I would then make arrangements to get them home and cover their shift.

The most enjoyable part of my position was the ever changing role and environment. I was able to move up and around within my company performing different tasks. It kept me learning and made me a more valuable employee. being one of the first on-site I could then mentor and coach other employees in the areas that i had been able to learn previously it made for more consistency in projects, and gave me an opportunity to fine tune my abilities.
Pros
great team environment, great self improvement programs
Cons
traveling away from home and family for work.
Realy enjoyed working for them.
Contract heavy duty mechanic (Former Employee) –  Kitamaat Village, BC22 March 2016
Good people to work with. Really like doing running repairs for them. Very safety orientated company. Would work for them again anytime.
Fast paced environment with great team
Heavy Equipment Apprentice/Serviceman (Former Employee) –  Fort MacMurray8 February 2014
Mostly in charge or site services and repairs. Typical day would start around 6am and not finish until 6pm. Throughout the day we would repair mobile equipment and light duty pumps/light towers and generators. Management was very well put together and organization was unquestionable. We would always work in teams, and the members of Site Services were nothing shy of exceptional. We all got along, and were pretty much considered a close family. Though we had many ups and downs throughout the day to day routines, we would always leave the job site satisfied with the work we put in, and arrive the next day eager to face the challenges the wait for us.
Pros
Exceptional team members, Friendly work environment
Cons
Winters were not my favourite