Ledcor Employee Reviews in Canada

Living arrangements
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Kitimat, BCNovember 5, 2013
I think they could have done a much better job in the living arrangements. Shuttle service to and from the airport. Travel time that is not covered , getting home at a late time of night. you are putting in 15 hours and getting paid for 12.5. A camp that has been promised for a year now still not in place. You are up at 4:30am and you get back to town at 8:30 / 9pm. You go to eat at a restaurant that closes at 9 you rush home to shower and hopefully you get to sleep by 11pm. So you are sleep deprived not enough time to rest. There are many times men say that they are burnt out and making stupid mistakes on the job.To me That is an unsafe work place.
Pros
nice crew to work with.
Cons
you are with them more than your family.to long of a shift.
good
Safety coordinator (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABSeptember 16, 2013
• Conducting daily and weekly site inspections
• Behaviour Based Observation reports
• Creation and updating of JHA’s and SWP
• Working in Both team based and independent environments
• Joint Occupational health and safety committee meeting
• Conducting orientations for new and experienced workers
• Ensuring OH&S and company policies are in place and being followed
• Ensuring safe work procedures, hazard controls are in place and PPE requirements are met
• Incident investigations
• Led/coordinated daily tool box and weekly safety meetings
• Issuing all Personal Protection Equipment to new workers
• Calibrating and bump testing gas monitors
Full active day
shop foreman (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABSeptember 17, 2013
Morning toolbox talk, stretches, flha's schedule repairs and mechanics, hands on repairs. Safety walks, review equipment schedules with management and other disiplines to co-ordinate repair around their schedules. Sometimes it becomes frustrating when parts are delayed, then I redirect work schedules to acommidate the hours in the day. The most enjoyable part of my day is completion of a task and thanking the mechanics for there effort and hard work.
When there, it was brand new facilities-nice.
Crewmember 5, packer operator (Former Employee) –  Mt Milligan Mine SiteSeptember 20, 2013
The work hours were 10.5 and 11 hours long. Typical breaks, lunch. Learned the packer machine, and rode in rock trucks while nothing for the packer machine.
The management I thought was good. The co-workers were great because this was my first exposure to camps, and this kind of work.
The hardest part was shift change, never dealt with it before.
The most enjoyable part was getting to know my co-workers and of course getting off shift.
Pros
everything was supplied-rooms, showers, meals, gym
Cons
getting use to night shift
Horrible Safety Culture
Safety Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Albian SandsAugust 27, 2013
Ledcor does not care about their worker's safety. They punish anyone who brings up safety concerns, cover up incidents and don't report them to their clients. They hire inexperienced kids for Safety Coordinators because they're cheap. Management doesn't support them and bully them if they try to make changes.

If workers bring up safety concerns they are ignored and they are punished, usually by finding an excuse to fire them or lay them off at the first opportunity. Get hurt and go to first aid? Fired. Report an near miss? Fired.

They promote based on nepotism, not competence. Are disorganized and lie to get you to work for them. Avoid Ledcor at all costs.
Pros
Get paid on time.
Cons
Safety is an afterthought.

Comment – December 13, 2013

They still have one of the worst safety records at Albian. And they still cover up incidents. Shell is to blame as well. They know what's going on and they let them get away with it because they're cheap.

Great Company to work with
Parts Runner (Former Employee) –  Chetwynd, BCAugust 24, 2013
Very approachable management, encouraging and respectful.
Great experience being the parts runner, everyday has different challenge.
Learning new areas of the mine, picking up parts from lots of different locations. Interacting with all types of service personal,found this fun and interesting made lots of new friends.
I love driving and interacting with people, so this was a great job opportunity.
Pros
christmas parties, family picnics
Cons
being a part of developement is great, although the job comes to an end.
safety culture with some hard situations due to the nature of the proyect
Pipefitter (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABSeptember 21, 2012
this is a job that needs an extra effort due to the location,extreme weather and rotation of the personal, many situations to handle in very little time,
management doing a fine job with the rotations and accomodation ,transporttcion of personnel,
the job require 100% concentration of the perssonnel, every step of the way, at home, at the airport, at the lodge, and at the jobsite.
The proyect itself is a very interesting one, I personaly enjoy working on it.
Pros
free lodge, transportation and food. good pay rate
Cons
long hours and extra commute to job site
Safe site,safety was always frist,organized,clean,great boss and great C.S.O i learned a lot.
Labourer (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCOctober 2, 2012
Early 7am start,where and all there safety concerns are and what to watch for when working in a dangerous parts of our site,management was good C.S.O and the our boss,my C.S.O taught me a lot since I've been studying to take the course at B.C.I.T for construction management,co-workers where hard working the hardest part of my day would have to have been the morning when it would rain,and the most enjoyable part of my day would be coffee time and home time.
Pros
i worked inside, learned a lot about construction management.
Cons
repetative work.
One of the top places to lurn, grow,and work.
skilled labour (Former Employee) –  Fort mcmurray, ABFebruary 28, 2013
It's a long shift working 12 hours 14 day's strate and with a job that changes every day but with good people at your side and learning some thing new every day makes it so werth it!
In a work place with danger lerking in every corner it's a must to be safe, alert, and ready ledcor makes sure we keep safe so we can go home safe.
giving the working grate pay and seven days off after your 14 day's on is a grate way to travle and vent.
The hardes part is being away from family.
Pros
money, food, camp, good people
11 Months I worked for Ledcor, then hired permanent by TELUS
Telecommunications LTS, I & R 2007-2008 (Former Employee) –  Interior South, British ColumbiaMarch 18, 2013
The Eleven months I was employed by Ledcor in the I&R telecom side for Telus I found to be most enjoyable.
Ledcor strove for safe work standards and maintaning quality control.
Manager at that time gave technicians under his supervision good guidence and kept intouch with excellent rapore.

I left Ledcor Tel to join Telus.
I would work for Ledcor again.
Pros
great first level mangement
Cons
poor budget to pay mangers what they are worth...they should get as much as an engineer +
Great company to work for, I just need more time with my family.
Project Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABOctober 16, 2012
I decided it was time for a career change as I was burnt out and stressed out as a broker. I landed a job with Ledcor due to a family member. I have moved up very quickly due to initiative, asking a lot of questions and the willingness to work with others. I moved from laborer to Project Coordinator to now being trained as a foreman in the major earth works, civil area. Ledcor has given me a wealth of knowledge in varying aspects of the job. I am definately richer for the experience. It just turns out that I want to be with my family, if I can find appropriate employment.
Great company to work for!
Journeyman Electrician (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABNovember 6, 2012
Typical day at work started with safety meeting, then stretches, more safety documentation, then off to work.I learned many aspects of the oilfied industry as this was my first time to work up North. Management was great as they stood up for the workers and tried thier best to keep us happy.Co-workers were friendly and knowledgeable. The hardest part of the job was the amount of time it takes to get a simple task done, due to so many safety factors. The most enjoyable part of the job was learning new skills in the electrical trade.
Pros
can leave wallet at home as thier is no place to spend money up there.
Cons
had a terrible camp. stayed in one better than that in the late 80's.
just starting out as a fitter
first year pipefitter (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABNovember 27, 2013
hi i am just starting out as a fitter and i am really liking it i have learned a lot and wanna learn a lot more and get up to a j ticket a tipical day at work was flying pip in and put of the work area with a crane or a boom truck, assist welders with cutting and beveling the pipe then after welder welded we installed pipe doing bolt up. i have learned a lot but i need to know a lot more and i wanna learn to so di safely with other coworker i can ask questions. the hardest part of the job is not knowing what i had to to while doing a big lift i stood back ad asked my forman where he wanted me and what to do. i enjoy the job because it is a good gay that passes and i learn a lot every day i went back to camp with somthing nw under my belt
Pros
Cons
no loa
Great company to learn the ins and outs of the commercial side for electrical
Apprentice Electrician at Nisku Modyard (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABOctober 7, 2014
Company was stable with a good group of management in place. Had a workplace environment that was conducive to growth and learning.
Pros
stable job, great place to learn about electrical
Cons
large company made you feel insignificant to the team, lower wages
efficent,organised and safety consious
Maintenance Worker (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJuly 22, 2013
11 hour days,6 days a week month after month living on the road.politics run through every aspect of company.managers had a hard time coping with changing deadlines and locations.a good gruop of young and old workers.on the road constantly.people your work with.meeting new people everywhere you go.
Pros
paychecks, learning every back road in western canada
Cons
long hours and always on the road
Family
Lead Document Control Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABJune 20, 2015
My co-worker have become family to me. They made work more enjoyable. It is awesome to see a company with great structure.
management corrupt and self centred
Transportation (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABJanuary 11, 2014
Worked with Ledcor group for 17 months. Put in a strong effort to make a good impression and treat everyone with respect. Was let go with disregard to previous arrangements and seniority for absolutely no justifiable reason.

Reason used was that work was so and was issued a layoff. However two other workers who started after myself are still working.
Pros
money
Cons
everything else
Fast paced environment with great team
Heavy Equipment Apprentice/Serviceman (Former Employee) –  Fort MacMurrayFebruary 8, 2014
Mostly in charge or site services and repairs. Typical day would start around 6am and not finish until 6pm. Throughout the day we would repair mobile equipment and light duty pumps/light towers and generators. Management was very well put together and organization was unquestionable. We would always work in teams, and the members of Site Services were nothing shy of exceptional. We all got along, and were pretty much considered a close family. Though we had many ups and downs throughout the day to day routines, we would always leave the job site satisfied with the work we put in, and arrive the next day eager to face the challenges the wait for us.
Pros
exceptional team members, friendly work environment
Cons
winters were not my favourite
very high paying job with camp accomadations
Journeyman Welder (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABMarch 18, 2013
a typical day at work was very interesting, alot of same work over and over but thinking about going home on your days off just made everything worth while.
i learned to master my ability to do overhead welding because we were welding on mostly pile caps.
the management were great to deal with and could bring any situation up with them all
coworkers were really easy to get along with and to work with in the field
the hardest part of the job would have been lying in under piles in the mud and getting shocks from being damp but that all a part of the trade.

the most enjoyable part of the job would honestly be knowing that at the end of the cycle youd be going home to spend time with your family which i havent done in 4 years prior.
Pros
camp accomaditions, payed flights
Cons
laying in mud
Great Company No BS
EQUIPMENT OPERATOR (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABSeptember 19, 2012
Ledcor was a great company to work for (Fort McMurray). Lots of benifits, competive wages and great management. If your hard working and easy to get along with this company will keep you for years to come.

I was never impressed with the union CLAC, and felt at times it hindered the company.

Over all great company.
Pros
lots of work, very safety concious, camp
Cons
21 and 7 turn around