Ledcor

Ledcor Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Challeging, high paced, and team orientated
Project Administrator (Former Employee), Various northern locationsSeptember 19, 2012
Pros: great team environment, great self improvement programs
Cons: traveling away from home and family for work.
A typical work rotation starts with a flight from the Okanagan airport to a Northern destination. Upon arrival we get off a plane and find a vehicle one may or may not be provided. I would then drive typically 2 hours to a camp, unload my gear and head to site. During startup I would be responsible to furnish the office area with necessary items desks, printers, stationary. After we have our management meeting to decipher the lodging requirements, transportation, equipment mobilization times and dates, and project materials. I would put together a master employee spreadsheet, and equipment spreadsheet based on a project schedule both organization tools for high volume tasks.
After determining the project needs, I would contact head office and start the hire-on process, this included reading and filing of hundreds of resumes. Working on short deadlines (two weeks) to fill the first seats I would start calling potential candidates for phone interviews. I would use a set of questions I have built to determine the skill set and level of the interviewees. I would then shift into getting the candidates drug and alcohol tested and book the rooms for the upcoming weeks. I would also contact the safety department to schedule the orientations. as the first group moved into second phase d/a testing i would start work on the second group same process until all shift rotations had been completed. During orientations I would introduce myself and answer any questions about shift schedule, payroll, camp, travel, transportation, food, salary, benefits, taxes, and any special circumstances.
After – more... the hire-on process slowed I would then shift focus to capture project cost, tracking materials and production with spreadsheets. During bidding process the estimators put together a bid estimate, one of my jobs was to take the bid estimate and load the budget going through the project requirements and phases, this is the information i would use to create the tracking logs taking the cost code items I would then become the field liaison ensuring the filed supervisors and construction management had the correct codes allocated for the work being preformed in the field i would work closely with the field engineers and payroll department to ensure that we had not overshot our budget in certain areas. If we did need more time and cost dedicated to a cost code we would then re-evaluate our budget or go to negotiations with the client. Tracking extra cost items was also a daily task. during the project unforeseen circumstances will occur forcing us to re-evaluate or add to a specific cost item.

In preforming my job duties I learned a great deal about safety, people, business, and organization. working from afar was a huge challenge not being able to run to the store for materials or hire people in a face to face interview. I learned to manage my stress, taking a moment to stop and think or take a walk and re-evaluate the situation. Working in confined areas for many days at a time can often make other employees irritable, learning to handle people was one of the greatest challenges of all, Listening is your greatest tool of all, being sympathetic and understanding to employees that work away from family and home yet maintaining a professional attitude was one of the more useful things I have learned.

As Human Resources I was often faced with personal issues that arose for the field and office employees. It was really the hardest part, being that we worked abroad and had limited communication services I would receive notice and inform employees of hardships and family issues. I would then make arrangements to get them home and cover their shift.

The most enjoyable part of my position was the ever changing role and environment. I was able to move up and around within my company performing different tasks. It kept me learning and made me a more valuable employee. being one of the first on-site I could then mentor and coach other employees in the areas that i had been able to learn previously it made for more consistency in projects, and gave me an opportunity to fine tune my abilities. – less

February 25, 2013

Hi, what were your hrs every day? if I was going to work in on a industrial project how long can I expect my work day to be ? Thanks

Ledcor has always been a great company to me and my wife,until this last job.id never worked with this group .and. Never will again.
Equipment operator.dozer grader truck (Current Employee), AlbertaApril 11, 2013
Pros: money
Cons: no safety, worst favouritism i've ever seen, people scared to be fired daily, no growth unless in the click
Every time previous I had worked with ledcor it's been about safety respect and fairness,I think this group hasn't yet been thought the ledcor values. To me safety means just that . If you break rules you get reprimanded ,not here however it first depends who you. If you are family(and there's a lot,)or friends .you do what you want whenever you want,including showing up.it makes very little sense to have bbo's yellow cards or near miss cards if your Forman is gonna throw them away if they reflect a family member or friend .to sweet incidents under the rug cause your sleeping with that person seems irresponsible if not downright dangerous . Over 50 people on our crew alone were to afraid to say anything for fear of losing there job .i had been away from ledcor for 2,5 years while working in a coal mine ,and was shocked appalled and dare I say disgusted by the change in the ledcor values. I've always considered ledcor to be an amazing place to work and until mrm it has been. Don't get me wrong there is some formans there that still care , unfortunately they are below the ones that don't ,and have no chance at changing it. Or will be fired themselves (yes it did happen)will I or my wife work for mrm again? Not as long as the clicks that run it don't care about the values ledcor was made upon. Good luck to any of the new people there ,just so you know ledcor isn't really ran that poorly just mrm and a few bad/rotten apples that have spoiled the bunch.if your thinking this is all about sour grapes we actually have a signed letter over 50 people ( from 1 of 3 crews) that agree with – more... everything and felt pushed to quit or fear there jobs daily – less
Productive workplace
Civil Earthworks Supervisor (Former Employee), Fort McMurray AlbertaFebruary 19, 2014
Ledcor February 2011 – April 2011 (3 months)
Civil Earthworks Supervisor
• Front line supervisor I was responsible for the day-to-day organization and direction of all operations.
• Met or exceeded all production goals in a safe, cost effective and environmentally sound manner.
• Communicated planning and expectation requirements to production crews.
• Ensured continuous production improvements through mentoring, coaching and providing performance feedback pertaining to operating standards and procedures to the production crews.
• Provided consistency between shifts through timely setup of pit infrastructure and by informing the oncoming shift of pertinent operating conditions.
• Maintained a safe and efficient work environment through practice of the Alberta OH&S code and application of company policies and standards and by holding employees accountable to these standards and regulations.
• Maximized crew and employee performance through training and matching of employee experience to daily priorities.
• Development and promoted positive employee relations environment within the production crew and across shifts.
• Reduced operating costs by working efficiently, according to established procedures and by identifying and eliminating situations that could cause equipment damage or excessive wear.
• I hold a valid class 5 driver’s license with air brake.
• Thorough knowledge of OH&S legislation (Alberta) and specifically the Mining Code.
• Effective oral and written communication/presentation skills in the English language.
• A working knowledge of computer skills and business – more... software such as Microsoft Office.
• Strong leadership, analytical, organizational, problem solving and interpersonal skills. – less
Productive with Professional and supportive co-workers, family oriented
Document Control Coordinator (Current Employee), Fort Hills Site , Fort MckaySeptember 9, 2013
Pros: employee focused management and efficient organizational processes
Cons: uncertainty with regards to next project ( especially for a fort mcmurray local)
Ledcor Industrial Group hasliterally been one of the best companies I have ever worked for.

I started work with them in the Suncor Voyageur Project and everyday since has been a such a learning and unforgettable experience.

Everyday, I find myself surrounded by such wealth of experience and knowledge and these co-workers are so supportive and sharing that at some point they became like family. We work hard together and we make time to unwind together.

Ledcor has taught me many things, how to embrace a safety first culture and a high standard of work ethic. Ledcor has also given me several opportunities to grow via their learning programs and short courses.

Management has always been supportive , fair and open. I have worked for two different management teams, with different styles. but they both share common Ledcor Values and commitments to their employees.

The best part of the job is just knowing your part of something, and in your own simple way your contributing to the project.

The hardest part of the job is the uncertainty. As they say in construction you are working yourself out of a job.
Northern Alberta Circus
Carpenter (Former Employee), FtHills, AlbertaNovember 4, 2015
Pros: Excellent pay. Camp was pretty decent. Suncor transportation system is actually pretty decent.
Cons: Management is a joke. Unsafe worksite.
Worked for very short term, 1 1/2/shifts, at Hills site doing concrete formwork.

Extremely congested worksite.
Numerous safety incidents, which probably didn't help the company in sustaining its work. Did not feel especially safe not well supported in taking issue with it to management. The day I arrived on site my foreman was suspended for having two crew members reporting incidents, both of which were very minor cuts or scrapes. Not conducive to reporting any further incidents.....

Tool crib was somewhat lacking, especially given they hired 30 new carpenters at once.
Throwing a bunch more guys at the work semed to work, even given the lack of additional management, since a bunch of new hires got laid of after only three or four weeks.
Management was poor, with little direction given to foremen until it was time to hurry up and get something done.
Full-time long term employees described it as the bigger Ledcor circus they had ever been on, but sadly it was the only game in town.
The only thing I miss is the pay.
camp setting was great ! all the necisity were there for me
Pipefitter (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, ABMay 14, 2013
Pros: excellent wages
Cons: not enuf o.t for me lol
with this company there number 1 thing was safety wich with me is a big thing. And also with them i got the oppurtunity to learn alot about hydro testing and codes on pipefitting really good experience for me . My big boss was the super intendant of this job i was on and i culdnt ask for any better on the management part.
And my co workers were willing to show me and also learn from me ! so i got along with them pretty good.
The hardest part of the job for me was the conditions at times where very dirty considering we were working right beside a coker , and if you know how a live coker is well i need to say no more.
What i liked about this job was that on a daily basis i was learning lots about things that i was always interested in and it was always and a everyday learning the ins and outs , and gave me a chance to get great experience and the learning was everyday i was learning something new. learning was a wide open opurtunity .
P.S I hope this gives you a good ideal of what i think of theses company thanks
Laid off due to "lack of work" in the middle of a project
Carpenter (Former Employee), JoffreOctober 1, 2014
Pros: money
Cons: top heavy, heavy handed management who doesn't see a good worker right in front of them.
I was a carpenter there for 6 months. General foremen and foremen all participate in different forms of "Harassment" even though they say they strongly enforce it. I had to switch crews after about 3 months because the foreman on my crew was so rude and abusive to the journeymen on the crew. We'd always see him and the civil GF laughing about stuff. Hmm I wonder what?! 6 months into the job the General foreman gets me singled out for saying something I did not say. 2 days later, laid off. Meanwhile people who just got hired are still there. So many people in the field that liked me were shocked at how they treated me. It has since happened to another solid guy I know. Except they made sure he was banned from the client. They're mean and I won't work for them unless certain people aren't there on site. This is the kind of treatment that keeps Alberta's "labor shortage" going.
Productive Environment, very safe place to work
Journeyman Electrician and Quality Control (Former Employee), Keal Lake, ABApril 27, 2015
Pros: Good work environment, good benefits, RRSP's etc.
Cons: Travel, being away from home.
-Typical day at work would include running cable tray or teck cable, and terminations of cables, junction box installation, rigid piping etc. while on construction, and performing QC related duties on a day to day basis while in Quality Control (eg. review prints, test cables, verify proper installation, sell systems to clients etc.)

- Learned an abundance of information related to system checks and sale of systems to clients on site.

- Good management, easily accessible, open for discussion.

- Good co-workers, easy to get along with, pleasant environment.

- Hardest part of job was being away from family.

- Most enjoyable part of the job was the people, and satisfaction upon completing tasks.
very high paying job with camp accomadations
Journeyman Welder (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, ABMarch 18, 2013
Pros: camp accomaditions, payed flights
Cons: laying in mud
a typical day at work was very interesting, alot of same work over and over but thinking about going home on your days off just made everything worth while.
i learned to master my ability to do overhead welding because we were welding on mostly pile caps.
the management were great to deal with and could bring any situation up with them all
coworkers were really easy to get along with and to work with in the field
the hardest part of the job would have been lying in under piles in the mud and getting shocks from being damp but that all a part of the trade.

the most enjoyable part of the job would honestly be knowing that at the end of the cycle youd be going home to spend time with your family which i havent done in 4 years prior.
Fast paced environment with great team
Heavy Equipment Apprentice/Serviceman (Former Employee), Fort MacMurrayFebruary 8, 2014
Pros: exceptional team members, friendly work environment
Cons: winters were not my favourite
Mostly in charge or site services and repairs. Typical day would start around 6am and not finish until 6pm. Throughout the day we would repair mobile equipment and light duty pumps/light towers and generators. Management was very well put together and organization was unquestionable. We would always work in teams, and the members of Site Services were nothing shy of exceptional. We all got along, and were pretty much considered a close family. Though we had many ups and downs throughout the day to day routines, we would always leave the job site satisfied with the work we put in, and arrive the next day eager to face the challenges the wait for us.
just starting out as a fitter
first year pipefitter (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, ABNovember 27, 2013
Pros: long hours
Cons: no loa
hi i am just starting out as a fitter and i am really liking it i have learned a lot and wanna learn a lot more and get up to a j ticket a tipical day at work was flying pip in and put of the work area with a crane or a boom truck, assist welders with cutting and beveling the pipe then after welder welded we installed pipe doing bolt up. i have learned a lot but i need to know a lot more and i wanna learn to so di safely with other coworker i can ask questions. the hardest part of the job is not knowing what i had to to while doing a big lift i stood back ad asked my forman where he wanted me and what to do. i enjoy the job because it is a good gay that passes and i learn a lot every day i went back to camp with somthing nw under my belt
Horrible Safety Culture
Safety Coordinator (Former Employee), Albian SandsAugust 27, 2013
Pros: get paid on time.
Cons: safety is an afterthought.
Ledcor does not care about their worker's safety. They punish anyone who brings up safety concerns, cover up incidents and don't report them to their clients. They hire inexperienced kids for Safety Coordinators because they're cheap. Management doesn't support them and bully them if they try to make changes.

If workers bring up safety concerns they are ignored and they are punished, usually by finding an excuse to fire them or lay them off at the first opportunity. Get hurt and go to first aid? Fired. Report an near miss? Fired.

They promote based on nepotism, not competence. Are disorganized and lie to get you to work for them. Avoid Ledcor at all costs.

December 13, 2013

They still have one of the worst safety records at Albian. And they still cover up incidents. Shell is to blame as well. They know what's going on and they let them get away with it because they're cheap.

Living arrangements
Supervisor (Current Employee), Kitimat, BCNovember 5, 2013
Pros: nice crew to work with.
Cons: you are with them more than your family.to long of a shift.
I think they could have done a much better job in the living arrangements. Shuttle service to and from the airport. Travel time that is not covered , getting home at a late time of night. you are putting in 15 hours and getting paid for 12.5. A camp that has been promised for a year now still not in place. You are up at 4:30am and you get back to town at 8:30 / 9pm. You go to eat at a restaurant that closes at 9 you rush home to shower and hopefully you get to sleep by 11pm. So you are sleep deprived not enough time to rest. There are many times men say that they are burnt out and making stupid mistakes on the job.To me That is an unsafe work place.
Great company to work for!
Journeyman Electrician (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, ABNovember 6, 2012
Pros: can leave wallet at home as thier is no place to spend money up there.
Cons: had a terrible camp. stayed in one better than that in the late 80's.
Typical day at work started with safety meeting, then stretches, more safety documentation, then off to work.I learned many aspects of the oilfied industry as this was my first time to work up North. Management was great as they stood up for the workers and tried thier best to keep us happy.Co-workers were friendly and knowledgeable. The hardest part of the job was the amount of time it takes to get a simple task done, due to so many safety factors. The most enjoyable part of the job was learning new skills in the electrical trade.
Great camp enviroment with comfortable accomidations great people to work with
Coating Crew Labourer (Current Employee), Wandering River, ABMay 20, 2015
Pros: excellent camp facilities
Cons: never home gone for 3-4 months at a time.
early starts with long work hours. at the end of the day you really feel as if you accomplished something.
Lots of opportunity to learn new equipment and different types of tools not often seen on typical job sites.
management was incredible very positive and always helpful with any questions
excellent co-workers with can do attitudes everyone got along great
hardest part of the job was the weather conditions hitting -57 some days
most enjoyable part of the day was being in an environment not many people would get to see.
good
Safety coordinator (Current Employee), Fort McMurray, ABSeptember 16, 2013
• Conducting daily and weekly site inspections
• Behaviour Based Observation reports
• Creation and updating of JHA’s and SWP
• Working in Both team based and independent environments
• Joint Occupational health and safety committee meeting
• Conducting orientations for new and experienced workers
• Ensuring OH&S and company policies are in place and being followed
• Ensuring safe work procedures, hazard controls are in place and PPE requirements are met
• Incident investigations
• Led/coordinated daily tool box and weekly safety meetings
• Issuing all Personal Protection Equipment to new workers
• Calibrating and bump testing gas monitors
greta group of people to work with and always saftey orriented. if you did not understand something just ask.
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee), Chetwynd, BCJanuary 29, 2016
typical day would be show up to work and have our safety meeting in the morning to find out what would be going on the site and discussing how to better productivity. always keeping safety in mind finding out how they can better the site. they want you going home safely to your family at the end of each day. Doing our proper pre trip inspections on all the machines and reporting any issues that need to be dealt with. 12 hr shifts are breaks were broken up evenly and you got two 15min breaks and a 30 min for lunch.
Great company to work for, I just need more time with my family.
Project Coordinator (Current Employee), Fort McMurray, ABOctober 16, 2012
I decided it was time for a career change as I was burnt out and stressed out as a broker. I landed a job with Ledcor due to a family member. I have moved up very quickly due to initiative, asking a lot of questions and the willingness to work with others. I moved from laborer to Project Coordinator to now being trained as a foreman in the major earth works, civil area. Ledcor has given me a wealth of knowledge in varying aspects of the job. I am definately richer for the experience. It just turns out that I want to be with my family, if I can find appropriate employment.
construction div horrible place to work
assistant project manager (Former Employee), VancouverJuly 6, 2015
Pros: good pay
Cons: no loyalty, HR is political only, not supportive
Worked 8 yrs with Ledcor and enjoyed it. Until my mentor moved up and the new operation manager demoted all of the "other team" members to lower rankings and promoted his hockey team players into management roles they were unqualified for. I was demoted to clerk from PM and a forklift operator was made PM, then they asked me to train him! You can give these people your health and soul, but moment you need support they cast you out and ruin your rep. By the way, I can provide complete documents to prove all claims.
safety culture with some hard situations due to the nature of the proyect
Pipefitter (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABSeptember 21, 2012
Pros: free lodge, transportation and food. good pay rate
Cons: long hours and extra commute to job site
this is a job that needs an extra effort due to the location,extreme weather and rotation of the personal, many situations to handle in very little time,
management doing a fine job with the rotations and accomodation ,transporttcion of personnel,
the job require 100% concentration of the perssonnel, every step of the way, at home, at the airport, at the lodge, and at the jobsite.
The proyect itself is a very interesting one, I personaly enjoy working on it.
Headquarters