Le Chateau Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Some BS here and there but not too shabby i guess
KeyHolder (Current Employee), Calgary ABMay 8, 2013
I worked as a key holder for about 5 months now. When I got hired, I enjoyed it because we had an amazing Staff for such a small store. However, when new management came in, the store changed into an almost intolerable environment.

To keep it short, I requested a transfer, same with the product manager and the new hire is quitting

Management is what makes or breaks up the team and is shown as an example in the location I worked

I honestly hope the new team hired for that location can bear it I honestly do.

The new location however is just well run because Its all about management. The staff and manager works together well to achieve the main goal for sales and just having a blast.

Shifts are flexible and if the location you work at doesn't accommodate the amount of hours you want, you can definitely get hours in other stores that need an extra man therefore there would be little to none in shortage or cuts in shifts.
*another plus point in working in other locations is that people in the company would know you better and increases you work ethic as an employee For the company.

Sales depends on which location you work in. The higher the volume, the better chance of commissioning out. However, you get more stressed especially in women's wear.

Breaks are great because you get 1 hour break for a full 6-8 hour shift, 5 hour shift is 30 min and 4 is 15 minutes. Therefore, you get about twice the length of breaks than most other stores that offer.

All in all, I do enjoy working for this company and they do have their ups and downs and I believe it solely has to do with the – more... staff that makes the experience enjoyable or utterly abysmal.

I don't plan on leaving anytime soon because I am pretty loyal to this company and I do have more ups than downs working here. – less
Glad it is over
Head Cashier (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABJuly 17, 2015
Pros: Commissions
Cons: Long hours, not enough breaks, and management
I worked here while I was going to school.
A typical work day would start pleasant with my fellow employees, then by the end I would be miserable.
I was the head cashier, so I was mostly responsible for ringing through the sales. I was also in charge of the accessories.
On top of the salary, the sales employees got a commission for their sales. That is were it got really competitive and the employees could turn angry quickly.
What was really frustrating was that it was a store stuffed with too much clothing. If we had to get clothing out of the back, that was a nightmare, and dangerous to our safety. It would take another person to pry open the tracks and hold it open with their bodies, so that I could get something for a customer. And if it was on the top row, you had to climb up to get it. There were no ladders, and a clothes hook was impossible to come by. I had ripped so much of my clothing from that. I had talked to management about it several times but nothing was really done.
Once the store was closed, we would have to stay for hours after cleaning, and re-organizing the store. I had to stop several times out of sheer exhaustion and I got yelled at for it. An eight hour work day would end up being 10-11 hours with no other breaks.
The only thing that made me happy was working in the men's department the few times I had to cover while another employee was on break.
I would not recommend this place to work at to anyone. I don't even shop there anymore.
fun workplace where one gets to feels the pressure to take initiative and motivates themselves to make sales
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMarch 2, 2015
Pros: earning commission when sales were high enough
Cons: having to be on your feet all day
A typical day at work involved greeting customers, helping them find styles and items best suited to their body type, bringing them sizes and styles and also putting unpurchased clothes back to the their place in the store. At the end of the night we clean up, which includes putting all items back in their rightful places and organizing items according to size on their racks - sizing the store. I learned how to take initiative and how to communicate with people and approach customers in a friendly and helpful but not pushy manner. Management was well organized. We had a friendly store manager who pushed us to take initiative, come to work looking very presentable and to do our best to meet our sales goals. Most of my co-workers were friendly and cooperative people who I could chat with during slow times The hardest part of the job was trying to meet sales goals during slow days or slow times of the year - it is necessary to find the fine balance between promoting products without being too pushy with customers which only leads to their frustration. The most enjoyable part of the job was when I would vastly exceed my sales goal on good days. It made me feel good and motivated.
Don't work here
Brand Stylist (Former Employee), KelownaSeptember 5, 2015
Pros: Great co-workers
Cons: inflexible
I really enjoy working at Le Chateau. The clothes are high quality and easy to sell as well as the people I work with are amazing. However, I would not recommend applying here. They do not give you room to be an individual and sell in your own way. The company wants all of their employees to conform to everything they say and basically sell in a scripted way. If you are going to school or have any kind of a life outside of work they will not be willing to work around your schedule. The company is inflexible and stubborn when it comes to availability. I loved working here and had top sales however they practically pushed me out the door because I refused to work off a script and drop out of school to have a career here. They are not looking for people to work their part-time, they only want people who are going to work for Le Chateau forever. If you are just looking for a job in retail DO NOT apply here. They don't even have competitive wages and you will probably stay at minimum wage for the entire period of working there.
Merchandising: a fun and a hard job
Product Manager (Former Employee), Calgary, ABSeptember 21, 2013
Pros: discount
Cons: not enough money
I started as a simple sales floor who was just selling clothes to costumers. By the time was going ahead, i became a key holder who had more responsability, so i was join the management team.
I was the only one who had skills in that store and the only one who could do and handle more than what my responsabilities was, i was always going over, and trying to teach myself how to grow.
So i became a Product Manager who merchandised the whole store by herself,i didn't have much help from my team so i always felt upset and not helped! I love merchandising because it brings me on what i studied for, which was art,any kind,but at the same time was a really and stressfull job because i had to be on time on doing my updates, so it made me understand how far i can go!Because of that people there were more than upset when i left!!
Good job with great people. Really good products: fashion, shoes, and accessories.
Product Specialist (Current Employee), Calgary, ABNovember 21, 2014
Pros: i get to work with good people, and i'm surrounded with clothing. i also get a really good discount.
Cons: it's not a 9-5 job. it's shift work.
I clock in and start my day. There are always clothes to put away, organize, and reprice. Some days we accept new merchandise and open the boxes and place the clothes on racks to put out on the floor. Shoes get put away. The prices on the tag are checked to make sure they are correct. I stay near the fitting room where it's closer to the shoes and washrooms. After some time, I might put the clothes that weren't purchased back where they were hanging on the floor. Depending on how long my shift is, I either get an hour lunch break, or only a 15 minute break. When my shift is over, I clock out.
So-so experience
Sales Associate / Key Holder (Current Employee), Toronto, ONFebruary 18, 2014
Pros: flexible hours, 50 % employee discount
Cons: not enough hours given to the store - resulting in a few available hours for sales associates, discount only applies to clothes for you.
Le Chateau - based on my experience as a sales associate and key holder rarely takes care of its employees. They ask a lot from their employees which would be acceptable if they took care of them. This goes for the company itself and not the various store managements. I've had different managers over the past 2 years as an employee of Le Chateau. As stated above, they ask too much out of their managers and sales team and rarely give back.

Store management differs from manager to manager and this greatly changes the work experience.
well-structured, upbeat environment
Manager, Assistant Manager, Head Cashier (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONSeptember 27, 2012
Pros: quality fashion, bright contemporary stores, quality training, great incentives
Cons: employee turn-over
-servicing customers needs, merchandising, receiving stock, cash and systems paperwork, perform directives from Head Office
-learned all aspects of store operations and how to organize and give priority to key situations
-management well trained, professional, knowledgable
-co-workers fun to work with while striving to reach objectives
-hardest part of the job would be long hours standing
-most enjoyable part of the job is being in a fast-paced environment that allows you to learn, be surrounded by great fashion and, meet new people on a daily basis
Great work environment with an amazing staff
Key Holder/Sales Associate (Current Employee), Surrey, BCMarch 15, 2015
Pros: discounts, good quality clothing, good team
Cons: not enough hours, underpaid.
I believe this is a great job for a part-time employee with a very flexible schedule and a great group of people who are willing to help you make more sales and achieve your goals. Although, if you are looking for a full-time job, with benefits or to progress and move your way up through a company, I'm not too certain that this would be the correct place. It is very hard to move up in this company, unfortunately, and they are known for being over-staffed (therefore making a full 40 hours almost impossible to attain.) Otherwise, a great company to work for, with amazing quality stuff!
Fast paced, fashion forward, sales focused, structured enviroment
Asst Store Manager Ladies wear & Mens Dept Manager (Former Employee), brampton,ontarioJanuary 12, 2014
Pros: great discount
Cons: downsizing, don't encourage growth oppotunites
This was a very structures chain of command, my day consisted of reviewing sales targets, updating staff on in store promotions,, focus items, Organising breaks and floor positioning to run a smooth business day for sales. I managed the menswear department so keeping the store stock levels up and presentable, making my departments goal, inventory, loss prevention,employee checks,remerchandising, Learning new styles trends and fulfilling consumer needs while providing exceptional customer service
Great Work Place
Style Specialist (Former Employee), Brantford, ONMay 12, 2015
Pros: Great co-workers, Great environment, Fast pace
Cons: Too many people on non busy days, could change on how the training goes
My experience at Le Chateau was amazing. I applied and the next day I received a phone call for an interview. I was hired two hours after my interview. I was only a part time so the hours weren't amazing. If you can go apply.

A typical day would be helping whoever opened the store, clean, assist customers, breaks, more cleaning, counting tills, organizing jewellery.

The most enjoyable part of my job was helping customers look for outfits that they loved and showing them different ways on how they can wear the outfit/accessorize it.
le chateau the best place
Clerk/ Customer Services (Former Employee), Calgary, ABAugust 12, 2015
Pros: compliments from manager
Cons: long standing
just enjoy the day as i explain incoming customers about the material we are selling. I learned that creating a good relationship with client is important because they come back.

my management was great and they did what they could to keep it that way.

They most hard part of the job is when client little upset because when she calls before coming in the store someone may have given them bad info.

my co-workers were the best.. i created a friendship with them even though i left but we still talk.

most enjoyable is when you making sells you feel like you doing something
Reluctant to change
Store Manager (Current Employee), Calgary, ABFebruary 2, 2015
Pros: freedom of fashion.
Cons: work-life balance, wage
Everyday is the same challenge. Balancing tasks vs proper customer service can be tough, but when it comes to fashion, money can't buy style. You really don't have to spend lots to look amazing. It's nice knowing that your supervisor will be there when you need it the most, especially when your team is always changing. Which also makes consistency difficult to achieve. At the end of the day, nothing makes you feel better knowing you've steered a client or in the right direction. Being an ambassador of your own style and service type, nothing can beat that.
Friendly and fun workplace
Assistant Manager/ Visual Merchandiser (Former Employee), Montréal, QCSeptember 24, 2012
I really learned to what it means to be a team player and how everybody contributes to the success of a store. Management was very encouraging and great to work with. A typical day at work was a lot of fun. We would usually start our week off with a walkthrough and assess every section and decide our tasks for the week. That was probably the best part because their was a great exchange of ideas. When your a merchandiser you have to work well independently but it can be solitary so its nice to have a team meeting once a week adn it's very encouraging.
Hard physical and detailed work, and I loved every moment of it
Visual Merchandising Manager (Current Employee), Victoria BCApril 16, 2014
My day started at 8am
-clean the floors
-restock the floor with product
-write up daily/weekly reports
-open the store. Cash, verifying receipts, opening tills
-Merchandise product/ move around the store
-stock
-schedules
-training new/existing staff
-managing floor for sales
-closing reports
-close the store

The hardest part of my job was leaving at the end of the day.
Best part is seeing my staff grow and move into high positions within the company.
Reatil.
Stylist (Former Employee), Winnipeg, MBMarch 6, 2013
Pros: networking, meeting new people
Cons: part time, no bennifits offered
While a style specialist with Le Chateau I learned the amazing world of retail. I was able to interact with many different people from all walks of life. We worked as a team to achieve goals and celebrated together as one of the most successful companies in Canada. I also learned merchandising, and decided to pursue merchandising as a career. I interviewed within the company, however I soon after relocated to the United States.
Worst company I have EVER worked for!
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee), Oakville, ONFebruary 3, 2016
Pros: none
Our DM would come to my store and trash talk certain employees behind their backs, was not professional at all... Hired new management member and allowed this new employee to take weeks off at a time leaving all the responsibility of the store on only two full time key holders, who by the way were only getting paid $12.00 and $11.50! Its an embarrassment to say that I ever worked for a company who truly does not care about their employees at all.
Reveiw on Le Chateau
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Surrey, BCAugust 14, 2013
Pros: 50% off everything in the store
Cons: management
- A typical day at work was usually helping customers you help find what they wanted

- I learned how to communicate much better while working there

- Management was okay but I felt like the manager favoured certain workers

- My co-workers were nice everyone got along

- I don't think there was anything hard about this job

- The most enjoyable part of this job was knowing that I had satisfied my customers.
Interactive hands on environment
Merchandiser Assistant (Former Employee), Peterborough, ONJanuary 19, 2015
- Achieved company standards through visual displays
- Communicated with management and staff for feedback on product movement and sell through

- Forecasted the weeks’ business and applied visual movements in order to capitalize on the business at hand

- Management worked hard to ensure everyone on the team was up to date with current numbers and goals

- Creative ability when displaying new merchandise
very productive work environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Calgary, ABNovember 23, 2012
Pros: employee discount
Cons: long hours
it was a wonderful environment, start the day by cleaning the store. and making sue everything is in place so that when the customers come in, they are able to find what they need.
the management was good, the co-workers some were great and some were not. the hardest part as refolding the goods every time it is scattered by a client. and the most enjoyable part was having to style clients.