Le Chateau Inc Employee Reviews

fun place to work
Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB7 January 2017
very repetitive days, folding, hanging, folding, hanging!!
customers disrespect staff when they don't get what they want. they treat product poorly, throwing and leaving clothing on the floor. staff is fun to work with.
Pros
fun place to work
Cons
almost the same everyday
Fun and upbeat
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB5 January 2017
i only worked for Le Chateau for a few months but i enjoyed the fast and upbeat pace here, the people are very nice and the management wasn't bad either.
Pros
fast pace
Great culture!
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON27 December 2016
It's a great job to start your career as a sales associate. You learn so many things here that can help you in your future career. What you need to have is passion and a drive to succeed, then you will be recognized and praised. Recommend!
Pros
Great work experience, development, commission, 50% discount.
Cons
Working almost every weekend.
good place to work
Junior buyer (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC24 December 2016
I was a wonderful place to work! Highly recommend for anyone. Great discounts on clothing. opportunity to try new things. Fashion is fun. great cafeteria.
Pros
Advancement
Great experience!!
Fashion Consultant (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC2 December 2016
Wonderful experience working at le chateau. I got to learn a lot about fashion tips from well known and experienced fashion experts.
Fun place to work
Manager/Key-holder (Current Employee) –  Kitchener-Waterloo, ON29 November 2016
This is a fun place to work if you are interested in higher end fashion. There is a lot that can be learned in terms of merchandising, sales strategies, and managerial skills. At outlet locations it is easier to get along with a work together with your coworkers as a team since there is no commission pressure. It can be difficult when it is busy such as around the holidays.
Pros
50% discount on the mershandise
Cons
The pay is not very well
Pretty bad
Stylist Assistant (Former Employee) –  Coquitlam, BC28 November 2016
Terrible management. No benifits. No respect for their employees or customers. The staff were constantly talked down to by management and they yell at you to push sales. Co workers overly competitive for sales. Overall negative experience but good discount
Pros
Good discount
Cons
The management and commission based wage
It's ok
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  London, ON15 November 2016
It's an ok place to work the hours weren't good, management wasn't the greatest and when it comes to benefits and job security there wasn't any. They need to treat employees better.
fun work place
Men's and Ladies style specialist/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON10 November 2016
Each day was different no 2 days were every the same. You meet new people and learn something new which helps your character grow. Management goes over goals and updates constantly so you always know where you stand and where you need to be.
Pros
each day was different
Cons
not enough hours
no guidance, no one had a clue what they were doing
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB23 October 2016
did learn anything, no one bothered to train me, I asked after my first month cause i had felt i had been there for a bit and hadn't learned anything and it was shaken off like it wasn't important
management had no sense of prioritizing or communicating affectingly with staff, and creating teamwork and a healthy work environment
Pros
nothing
Cons
long hours, customers yelling, little to no training
terrible experience
Style Specialist (Former Employee) –  West Vancouver, BC22 October 2016
one of my worse experiences working for them. Management team is horrible with no qualification. pay is no good and the commission is a lie. they set the target so high.
Pros
Cons
everything
get ready to be bullied
Stylist and sales representative (Current Employee) –  Winkler, MB15 July 2016
i started out being excited about working there, but somewhere along the line, i had a disagreement with a keyholder (who happens to be my manager's childhood friend) about why she makes me do her task and mine and takes credit for it, while she actually wastes her time talking to friends on the phone during store hours. when i reported to the manager, my hours started decreasing drastically, until it got to a point where i only worked 3 hours a week, but i was required to have 4 days completely dedicated to working there. Also the manager made it her duty to schedule me in for work on days when i specifically told her i would be unavailable . when the assistant manager noticed and decided to talk to the manager about her friend's attitude towards work and how my hours reduced out of the blue, she reduced the assistant manager's hours too. Also working here is not a walk in the park, its is very stressful, so much is expected of you with so little to gain in the process.
Pros
discount on their low quality items
Cons
bullying, LACK OF TRANSPARENCY
terrible customer service ethics, but good pay
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON14 January 2016
a typical day involved a lot of backlash from the manager, I learned that there is a lot to do to maintain a store. The staff were generally friendly, but often felt like a sorority full of party girls. It was difficult to go against my ethics when it came to how customer's should be serviced, but I enjoyed when the manager wasn't there so I could provide friendly and relaxed service and dress up the customers using my fashion skills.
Pros
good pay and benefits
Cons
often held well past closing, manager was crazy
Working here was the worst
Keyholder (Former Employee) –  GTA, ON30 October 2015
Everyone is sneaky and they don't care about their employees. Avoids confrontation. Worst company to work for. Managers can say whatever they want and their actions are dealt with. Beyond unprofessional.
A good place to start
product (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON27 October 2015
I worked with the company for three years and appreciate all the opportunities I was given. I felt as if after three years, I was no longer learning, growing or being appreciated for my work.
It was a good place to start my retail career because I learned the basics of customer service, sales and managerial tools.
amazing
Seasonal Sales Associate/Co-op (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON7 August 2015
management allowed me to learn whatever it is i wanted. I did stock, banking, cash, merchandising, floor operating, up selling, and many more. it was an amazing experience
Unprofessional and mentally draining
Key holder (Former Employee) –  Edmonton AB10 June 2015
Very unprofessional and draining workplace. Enployees are encouraged to flirt with customers to help with sales. Very competitive as Employees are encouraged to steal other employees sales.

Employees are paid minimum wage. Upon hire, they will explain (in little detail and is it hard to understand) how commission works. They explain that if you sell what you are supposed to that you will be making more money than management. little did I know that if you do not make your minumum commission (which is very hard to do) you do not make commission. Commission is much more than selling $260 per hour. You will also have to sell 2 items per person (how do you do that?) well.. If someone walks in wanting pants (you have 2 seconds to greet them at the door) then you have to bring them at least 4 pairs of pants and 2 shirts. While they are in the changing room you HAVE to ask: what size are your feet? (So they can't say no) then bring them 2 pairs of shoes and say "just so you can see the whole outfit." VERY PUSHY!!

I was hired on as full time. Instead of fulltime hours, I got fulltime days. I only worked 21 hours but I worked 6 days a week. (How does that work you might ask?) 5 and 3 hour shifts.

You also have to wear le chateau clothes, but with the discount it is nice. Although in doing so, you will spend most of your pay checks there.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Everything else!
Working for Le Chateau is like a box of chocolates, you never know...
Head Office Employee (Former Employee) –  Montreal, Quebec11 April 2015
The team that I was working with were a great group of people, I have no complaints. Immediate manager had my respect and loyalty. Not everyone is so lucky.

Le Chateau's daily functions are what you would expect from a professional clothing manufacturer. The clothing is designed for a specific type of client who enjoys the finer things in life, is in good physical condition, and earns an above average salary, or has extra cash at the end of the week. They are good at what they do, and should survive what is presently a difficult time for enterprises in the retail market.

Their head office direction would like for all employees to be happy and comfortable; however, there are serious limits on what they are prepared to do to make this happen.

One major constraint is finances; the company is at a point in the business cycle where trimming expenses is a paramount concern, this could effectively lead to working with older equipment, chairs that no longer adjust, and other details that do not prevent an employee from working.

Another roadblock to supporting employee wellness is the lack of desire to manage employees who use bullying to get their way. Bullying in the garment industry has a long-established history and looks like it may be here to stay. Seeing this continue unchallenged in other departments was greatly demoralizing. To give respect where it is due, it appears as though the top people in the company are leading by example, and hoping that the others will catch on and change their ways.

If you can keep to your own and find yourself in a good team then you
  more... will enjoy yourself.  less
Pros
There's nice people everywhere, here as well, job demands are consistent unless role is changed
Cons
Somewhat demanding; bullying is tolerated
Professional environment for optimal learning
Loss Prevention Specialist (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC18 February 2014
Very professional and knowledgeable management team.

Everyday was challenging and created new experiences and opportunities.
Worst retail store
Manager (Former Employee) –  BC4 December 2013
Was hired as the manager, and was thrown in to fix a huge mess without back up from upper management. Don't expect to have a life or get any satisfaction
Pros
Discount
Cons
No upper management backing and horrible environment

2.5