LCBO Employee Reviews in Canada

great palce
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Deep River, ONAugust 29, 2015
this job was fun, lots of work but fun. the staff is small and therefore everyone gets along. The manger is great, very easy to talk to.
Fun place to work
Warehouse Person (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONAugust 16, 2015
Co workers are fun
Lots of overtime during holiday season
Good location to work in and around?
So cool to work there
Ability to work with others whether it be staff or customers
Casual CSR - Part Time (Current Employee) –  OakvilleJuly 19, 2015
I enjoy having the ability to help others find what they are looking and/or giving them my input into on new items. The staff are fantastic to work with and learning from them are great! The store manager is fantastic and is very informative!
Pros
The staff and customers
Cons
Not enough hours
A fun and stress-free environment
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  TorontoJuly 3, 2015
An employee friendly environment that offers flexible hours. Provides excellent training. Management is supportive towards employees.
Productive work place
Invoicing Clerk / Receptionist (Contract) (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 22, 2015
A typical day at the LCBO fun interaction with customers about there orders that they came to pick up. Every day i learn something new from the from my co-workers and customers. The hardest part of the job is letting the customers know that there out of stock. The most enjoyable part of the job is when the customer get there liquor on time and they leave there with a happy face
Great Work Experience
Customer Service Representative (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONJune 18, 2015
LCBO was a great work environment. Working at LCBO allowed me to advance my knowledge in product and sales. I also became more confident with my customer service skills which is crucial in any environment that involves dealing with customers/staff/employees etc.
Pros
good job oppurtunity
Cons
difficult to advance in a secure title when working part time/seasonal
hard work but very rewarding
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 22, 2015
This company excels when it comes to training in customer service. Wine courses and product tastings are always offered so employees will have greater knowledge of the products they sell.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
management could really learn how to treat their employees
Fun Workplace
Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  TorontoMay 9, 2015
Great work environment. I learned a lot and my co-workers were great. The hardest part was the strict deadlines and the most enjoyable part was the research and analysis part.
Pros
Free luches
Cons
Fun, productive place to work.
Wine Demonstrator (Current Employee) –  Kingston, onMay 7, 2015
This is easily one of the best jobs I have ever had! I get paid well over min. wage to talk about wine and offer samples.
The downside is even if suppliers love you they still don't schedule enough events to cover rent so you do need another job.
This ISN'T for someone that is not a self starter. You have to set up and take down the event, ensure you're on time, ensure product is in and count product, track sales, and greet everyone who walks into the LCBO.
There is no manager that directly works for luma in the store so you must be able to work well unsupervised.
If you're not a self motivated person you WILL NOT survive here. If you spend all your time on your mobile when you should be selling; you WILL NOT survive here.
If you can't document everything, finish invoicing and reports then you will also not get paid or survive here.
If you are a friendly, chatty self-starter like me. You will excel at and adore this job!
Pros
Fun, Amazing job!
Cons
Not enough events, 3-5/month even when you are a very good seller.
Stocking shelves, opening boxes
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 6, 2015
Due to the nature of working at the LCBO, being government operated, there was a lot of hierarchy and since it was a union environment that hired seasonal help, it made it difficult to advance to a more secure job title.
Meh
CSR (Current Employee) –  ottawaMay 5, 2015
ive been working with the LCBO and it had to be the most unstable job I have ever had. The hours were great to start (35 hours a week) but than you start getting bumped (hours are based on seniority) and now I'm getting 9 hours a week if I'm lucky. Its hard to advance, people have been working with the LCBO for 10 years and are still casual workers. I think its stupid if you don't speak french it'll take an average of 10 years to get a full-time position but if you do speak french it'll take an average of 4 years to get full time. Managers of the store change often.

Great for students or if you have a second job.
Pros
Pay is great for retail job, gain knowledge on products, tastings
Cons
hard to advance, seniority base, no protection for casuals, getting bumped hours often
A good work environment
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONApril 18, 2015
A good work environment. The staff were extremely friendly and there are plenty of opportunities to advance within the LCBO.
Comfortable work enviroment.
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ONApril 8, 2015
A typical day at work would include, helping customers, cashing them out and counting my till at the end of my shift.
I learned customer service skills and also about the inventory.
I enjoyed working with my co-workers.
The hardest part of the job was lifting heavy boxes.
The most enjoyable part was interacting with customers.
Not what was promised
Representative (Former Employee) –  London, ONApril 6, 2015
At the interview and training session, I was led to believe this could lead to more permanent or at least casual work. After the 1st shift talking with tenured employees it was evident this was not the case.
Most tenured employees were not friendly just watched the clock for breaks and generally avoided any issue that would make for more work.
Just look busy was the mantra.
Pros
heated store
Cons
poor training at store, not a good culture
Great job
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ONMarch 24, 2015
The LCBO was a great job. It was hard to get in full time but I wish I would have never left. People were great and the time there didn't always seem like work because I enjoyed my time there.
Postivie
Cashier/Customer Service/Product Sampler (Current Employee) –  BramptonMarch 2, 2015
LCBO is an environment that allows you to meet various people, learn a lot about different products and build customer service skills.
Best Retail Job Ever!
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Oakville, ONFebruary 19, 2015
I work at one of the largest LCBO's in Ontario. Flagship stores are lucky to have what they have (1000’s of Vintage wines and collectable spirits, full kitchen for Chef’s demonstrations and a Tasting Bar holding 52 of the current vintage release wines to “try before you buy”), but every store has the basic tools you need to show management that you are willing, able and want to WORK!
I have worked for 2 different managers at my “home store”. One manager was hired "off the street" and their focus was on saving money. This was difficult as a "low on the ladder" employee; as my hours were slim to nil. I was on customer service (cash) a lot, and have no regrets or hard feelings about this. It has made me a better leader.
My second Manager has worked as a casual up to management. The focus in the store now is to get the job done no matter what the cost (ie. if we need tape, we get tape. If we need more cashiers, we call in cashiers).
This manager has been supportive in my career development. They recognise my strengths and help me overcome my weaknesses. It is thanks to this manager that I am now attending WSET classes, giving me the knowledge needed to progress into a Product Consultant position. (These are pricy classes to take and the costs will be reimbursed {if} I pass),
Yes all promotions are based off of seniority, however you need to apply no matter what your hiring date was, because like any other job application, you never know, you might be the only person applying and land the job. (I have seen this happen)
My overall experience with the LCBO has been amazing. Yes you
  more... spend a lot of time on cash, especially when you first start. This is how you learn what is what in the store you are working in.
Take advantage of being next to a computer and learn about various products in the store, new and upcoming releases, or history of products (especially local wineries, breweries and distilleries). Customers like to know they are supporting the community, as many of these entrepreneurs wouldn’t be able to sell to such a vast clientele if the LCBO didn’t carry their products.
Take advantage of being the last face that your customers see before they leave the store. Give them tips on mixing drinks, recommend new or alternative products, remember who they are and what they like and you WILL have a following of people who want YOU (not a consultant) to help them.
Seasonal's are hired on to run the cash desks for the reason that we need our regular casual staff on the floor assisting customers. As a casual employee, I rely on the help that our team of Seasonal workers offer. They are always excellent support and free up our work load so we can better assist our customers by keeping shelves fully stocked and providing more one on one customer service.
I have read so many negative reviews about what it’s like to work for the LCBO, and it saddens me that these employees are not satisfied with their work. I remember what it’s like to work for “other” retail companies. I proudly tell people daily that I traded in my high heel shoes for steel toes and I will never go back. The LCBO has offered me challenging tasks, even at cash, and I am proud to be one of a large team that takes its Social Responsibility seriously.
I am known as the “happy cashier” to many of our customers, and am often asked “why are you so happy ALL the time”? My answer is simple: I work at the Liquor Store.
Why wouldn’t I be happy? I’m paid better than I was as a Manager in the retail industry, my job is challenging (on slow days I make up my own challenges) and I work with wonderful people (even if we don’t always agree with each other).
If you work for the Board and are not satisfied, call other stores and see what you can learn from other employees. Transfers, Continuing Education and On the Job Training are available to EVERYONE. You just have to have passion. (It’s all in YOUR attitude towards the job)
Thank you for spending the time to read this lengthy review.
Pros
a retail job without the retail pressure (sell, sell, sell!!!)
Cons
not all managers run their stores the same way
Lcbo
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Ancaster, ONFebruary 9, 2015
During my time at the LCBO Ancaster, i learned a lot of things abut the product and helping the customer to the best of your ability. Managers would give us the necessary training and help that we needed to succed in the workplace. A typical day at work would include of, stocking the product and helping the customers when they need it. Helping customers may include: helping a customer find a product, helping a customer carry their purchase to their car and also if a spill or breakage occurs clean it up and make sure you put out the caution signs. Further more, the most enjoyable part of the job is helping out the customer find what they are looking for. As for the hardest part of the job, i would have to say knowing all the different types of wine and alchohol and where they are located in the store.
Pros
great place to work
Cons
always on your feet
Government owned beverage alcohol retailer in Canada
Senior Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, OntarioFebruary 3, 2015
The LCBO is a publicly owned beverage alcohol retailer in Ontario Canada. Experience within the company varies with your luck. There is no guarantee of hours or salary. You can learn everything from how to run a business to absolutely nothing. I was fortunately and learned as much as I could about running a store.
Pros
decent hourly wage
Cons
no hours for new employees and as time goes on less and less full time positions are available.
Awesome part time job!
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ONJanuary 26, 2015
The L.C.B.O is a great place to work, and there is quite a bit of opportunity for growth.
Pros
getting to try most of the products we carry.
Cons
can be a bit tedious/repetitive.