LCBO Employee Reviews in Canada

hard work but very rewarding
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 22, 2015
This company excels when it comes to training in customer service. Wine courses and product tastings are always offered so employees will have greater knowledge of the products they sell.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
management could really learn how to treat their employees
A day in the life
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 3, 2016
i did the store set up for the LCBO. i also showed excellent customer service. i also did cashier and stocked products i never missed one shift and i was alway on time
Pros
helping people
great place to work
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Vaughan, ONDecember 15, 2015
Best job i've worked at. abosolutely no complaints about the LCBO. mgmt is great and they treat the staff as equals. the work expectations are the same as any retail job, focusing on costumer services in keyt. overall the LCBO is a great working experience
Pros
enjoyable
Cons
time goes by slow
productive and fun
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Coniston, ONOctober 25, 2015
excellent place to work. I had the opportunity to meet many people, loved the work environment and the other staff I worked with. I learned a great deal what to help customers with in making selections. It can become a very busy place especially during holiday/long weekend times, but in general, it was an absolute pleasure to work there.
Pros
meet man new people
Cons
Con't learining and fun work place
Customer Liaison (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONJune 11, 2012
Learning new products and peering wines, sprits and beers with foods to help customers and restaurant owners make the right decision gives me a sense of fulfillment in this part time position. Being able to use hand held computers for store operations makes the job easier and interesting. Being able to fundraise while on cash duty also gives me a sense of community involvement. Protecting the community from underage and intoxicated customers by refusing sales gives me a sense of responsibility in this position. I take my job seriously so that I may be able to continue to learn and grow in this position.
Pros
free lunches, wine tasting and hourly rate of pay
Cons
not enough hours in one week much less the month based on senority
Excellent Government position, not your typical Call Center environment
CSR - hello LCBO (Current Employee) –  Toronto, OntarioOctober 27, 2012
Fantastic co-workers and management. Not your typical call center environment. Very relaxing atmosphere and the pay is better than average.
Pros
praises from customers and management, employee recognition rewards, free lunches for a job well done.
Cons
being chained to your desk for very long periods of time (8 hours per day) due to wearing a headset.
fun people
Cashier and Served under strict standards (Former Employee) –  London, ONNovember 19, 2015
Lots of great training
start by getting in on seasonal.
fun to learn a lot about the alcohol and wines

people are fun to be around.
easy computer system to learn
Productive and fun workplace with great coworkers
Cashier, handling stock (Former Employee) –  Buckhorn, ONOctober 8, 2015
The LCBO gave me a lot of reponsibility which was a good learning experience for me. While taking the job of serving alcohol in a safe envornment my co-workers always made me feel welcome. It was always fun to go to work. I enjoyed keeping busy and having the opportunity to take on different tasks every shift.
No, we do not get discounts on alcohol
Customer Service Associate (Current Employee) –  GTAJanuary 14, 2013
Yes, you make a half decent wage but you work your butt off for it. I work at a small store and you do a bit of everything. 3 times a week we spend hours unloading trucks and putting away stock. If you think that continuously lifting 50-60 pound cases of booze is easy you are not over 50 like I am. Liquor stores, at least all of the ones that I have been at, are always busy so if you are on cash you never stop. Most people are nice, some are just rude but no more so than any other retail job. Having to tell people you can't serve them because they are intoxicated is difficult because their reactions vary. Some people are okay with it, most aren't. Most of my co-workers have always been okay. You have to work at the LCBO a minimum of five years before you qualify for any benefits and then you have to requalify every year, unless you are full time. It takes between 12 to 15 years to make full time.

All my managers, so far, have been great so I've been lucky. Not a bad part-time job at all.
Pros
good wage, good co-workers, decent management
Cons
heavy lifting, no benefits
Secure, but no room for advancement
CLERK (Current Employee) –  Wainfleet, ONMay 29, 2013
I currently work at an agency store, which means wearing many "hats", every day I am working in three different areas of the store, Avondale, Beer Store, LCBO and a Donut Diner.

I am looking for a change, where I can use my administrative skills, that will challenge me, and allow me to secure a long-term career.

The best part of this job is the regular customers, all the quirks that they come with. They make coming to work more enjoyable.
Pros
secure, stable 40 hours per week, flexible schedule
Cons
very draining, no consistency from management, revolving door of employees
Great family environment
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONNovember 2, 2015
A great place to help customers find what they need in many different categories and giving them the happy accomplished feeling from their shopping experience.
overall being a labouer is physically hard work, but not mentally hard work
Labourer (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ONNovember 1, 2013
LCBO Warehouse is a good place to work, if your willing to work hard each day. Most of the co-workers are hard working men who are friendly and always willing to help their co-workers. LCBO has great management that care for their employees and their families. The hardest part of being a laborer is the job isn't mentally challenging. The most enjoyable part of being a laborer is knowing the each day you have to work hard in order to get the job done.
Pros
hard working employees
Cons
easy work
Well run family business with friendly service.
Manual Labourer (Current Employee) –  Kinburn, ONSeptember 24, 2015
I enjoyed my time working here and am still technically employed but my hours have been reduced as other staff have returned and have increased availability over me.
Pros
Able to purchase lunch on site.
Cons
Only part time hours were available.
Fun and busy
Retail /Customer Service Attendant (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ONOctober 6, 2015
Loved working at the location I was at, my co workers were very helpful and accepting and the store I was at was very well run
Pros
Had the first hand of all new products and very easy to keep up to assist customers with choices
Cons
It was just a seasonal very part time job
Alright Place
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Mount ForestOctober 6, 2015
Only offer summer jobs anymore....definitely hard to get in full time, or even part time. Barely gave any hours all summer (10-15 on a good week). Not worth the hassle.
learning a lot about the wines
Cashier/Stock Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 25, 2013
This place was not a great place to work, yes the pay is good but as a "casual" employee which is part time, the hours were never guaranteed and most casuals work only night shifts through Thursday to Sunday. Not a lot of room for requests to be off. Management is usually on a high horse and uncooperative. Casuals do not have benefits and to become a full time employee takes anywhere from 10-12 years.
Pros
meeting new people
Cons
the threat of always being robbed and dealing with intoxicated customers
fast paced,friendly place to work
Cashier, Sales Associate, LCBO (Former Employee) –  London, ONOctober 30, 2015
it was a seasonal job, fast paced environment, loved working there because it was always busy during the holidays when I worked
Not what was promised
Representative (Former Employee) –  London, ONApril 6, 2015
At the interview and training session, I was led to believe this could lead to more permanent or at least casual work. After the 1st shift talking with tenured employees it was evident this was not the case.
Most tenured employees were not friendly just watched the clock for breaks and generally avoided any issue that would make for more work.
Just look busy was the mantra.
Pros
heated store
Cons
poor training at store, not a good culture
A fun and stress-free environment
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  TorontoJuly 3, 2015
An employee friendly environment that offers flexible hours. Provides excellent training. Management is supportive towards employees.
Meh
CSR (Current Employee) –  ottawaMay 5, 2015
ive been working with the LCBO and it had to be the most unstable job I have ever had. The hours were great to start (35 hours a week) but than you start getting bumped (hours are based on seniority) and now I'm getting 9 hours a week if I'm lucky. Its hard to advance, people have been working with the LCBO for 10 years and are still casual workers. I think its stupid if you don't speak french it'll take an average of 10 years to get a full-time position but if you do speak french it'll take an average of 4 years to get full time. Managers of the store change often.

Great for students or if you have a second job.
Pros
Pay is great for retail job, gain knowledge on products, tastings
Cons
hard to advance, seniority base, no protection for casuals, getting bumped hours often