LCBO Employee Reviews

I work for the government and I'm on E.I.
CUSTOMER SALES REPRESENTATIVE (Current Employee) –  Southern Ontario25 October 2016
By far the most depressing job I've ever had. Hours can be plentiful in peak season, but in order to achieve 35 or so hours a week, I have to work every day of the week. Off season, hours drop to about one or two 4 or 5 hour shifts in a week. Senior employees can be a pleasure to work with but most are not. The mentality of rushing to get product on the shelf is job one to many staff; fearful that management will scold them if a job is left undone. There are never enough staff to finish all the jobs safely, neatly and efficiently. Too many people with back, shoulder, hip, and feet issues.
Benefits take 5 years to take effect, and that's only if you work a set minimum number of hours over the course of the year, which most people do not. Full time positions are non existent and take about 12 years to get.
Warehouse spaces are over crowded with inventory in peak seasons. Work space in back of house is too small for power lift equipment. Adequate time to review mandatory documents and training sessions (iLearn) is not provided. We must basically sign off on many documents that remove the LCBO from any liability with no time to review and understand them completely.
day time and evening shifts were part of job
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON7 September 2016
Job advancement was profided.Permanant hours safe enviorment.Welcoming place with a chance to grow.Wine courses offered.

Chance to advance in the job.Flex vacations time.

Benifits and vacation time offered.

Customers were nice. Got to provide excellent customer service
Pros
fun place
Cons
lots if evening work.
Very lovely work environment.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Milton, ON6 May 2016
Working at LCBO was very beneficial as I worked as a summer work term employee while going through school. It was a very good opportunity to advance my customer service skills as I dealt with a variety of customers and staff. I would recommend to anyone as a temporary job, but certainly not full time as they rarely have full time employees that receive benefits. Most of the people I worked with were still deemed part time after working at LCBO for 10+ years.
Pros
Great work environment
Cons
No advancement opportunities
Aweful experience
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON17 July 2016
Your hours are basically non negotiable. Benefits are not received for many years. Management is atrocious. Staff is mainly disgruntled and lack morale or interest. Not recommended.
Pros
Cons
Hours (sporadic and unreliable)
never seen a pong table there
Sr. Computer Operator (Former Employee) –  Toronto Pearson International Airport, ON24 November 2016
worked there more than 10 years
don't get injured on the job, they will terminate you
what else can be said, its a government job
Pros
salary
Cons
expensive lunches
Fantastic Place To Work
Customer Service Representative (Seasonal) (Former Employee) –  London, ON28 June 2016
Great Benefits, friendly staff, lots of room to advance. Breaks were given, working environment was open, safe, easy. Takes some time to gain seniority, but if you're willing to put in the hours it's well worth it.
Wonderful Team Envirionment
Administrative Assistant to the CEO (Former Employee) –  Lake shore Head office9 May 2016
Great work attitude and wonderful life balance. I only wish this could have turned into a full time position! Really enjoyed working here!
Pros
Excellent Compensation, and Life Balance
Cons
Was only contract
Senior Systems Analyst
Senior Systems Analyst (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON3 September 2016
Good work life balance. Not great opportunities for advancement. Semi unionized environment makes it undesirable to be in junior or middle management.
Used and Abused
Warehouse Worker and Designated Trainer (Former Employee) –  London, ON11 April 2016
No room for advancement. Bring in agency workers and never hire them and work them till they burn out. Over look health and safety. No praise for a good job.
Great Part-time job
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Sarnia, ON9 August 2016
I work full-time during the day, so working as a casual at the LCBO is a great gig for extra money. I am only available week nights, so I'm mostly on cash, helping customers, putting out stock and facing. I enjoy people and have learned alot about our products - especially wine! Alot of my co-workers are upset about hours being cut - they now have to work 7 days a week just to make ends meet (alot of them are single women). I am fortunate that I enjoy the 4 to 5 hour shifts and I don't need to work every day.
The management at my store is wonderful. I get time off when I ask (usually weeks in advance). Coworkers complain, but try working a non-government retail job. I mean the booze sells itself. We just have to stand there and take your $$.
I have been a casual now for almost 2 years. I plan on keeping this 2nd job as long as I can!
Pros
Alcohol sells itself! Don't have to be a pushy salesperson
Cons
Working Friday nights and Saturday
a great place to work
Customer Service Representative and Cashier (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON26 March 2016
I love working at the LCBO as a CSR. the hours as a casual are not stable, and there are no benefits, but the atmosphere is great and the flexibility for students is advantageous to their school
A great place to work but only short contract positions offered.
Sales Representative/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Hawkesbury, ON19 August 2016
The LCBO was a great place to work. The management and employees have a good repartee and understanding of the work balance. Both were very helpful and informative.
Customer service is high on the list and I appreciate that. Everyone is productive with an excellent knowledge of safety.
I would recommend it as a great place to work!
Pros
Terrific treatment of new employees. Friendly employees and considerate staff.
Cons
Contract position offered only with a lot of regulars already listed.
Good Job; Boring shifts
WAREHOUSE ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Whitby, ON6 October 2016
Basic labor warehouse job, unloaded cases of alcohol on factory line. 4 p.m- 12 a.m shift Monday- Friday. Management very friendly and laid back if the line was kept in order. Isolated and no communication with co-workers as each person operated their own frait. Boring shifts as we were no allowed to listen to music and had to listen to nothing but factory noise for 8 hours
Pros
easy job
Cons
boring shift
An ok place to work. pays the bills
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON16 May 2016
My normal day at work is everything and anything. master of everything reasonable for nothing

It really hard to know what i will be doing and what I'm suppose to do.

Thru my years of work, I have gained lots of information in the alcohol indrastry

When I started at the LCBO the management was amazing, kind, will to do what it takes to get things done and help staff, professional and personal. They really care.

Now in the current time, most of the managers are really disconnected from the staff. They never leave their desk.

My co-workers are the hardest part about the job. I could write a book on how bad they can be.

the most enjoyable part of my job is the customers. My favorite of the customers is the homeless. The looks they give when I have treated them like that a human.
Pros
No Pros
Cons
Co-workers
Hard to rely on consistent paycheck
CSR (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON1 July 2016
After 9 years as a casual, my hours have been cut twice. They can get away with giving me a 4 hour shift, and someone just hired will get a shift of the same length. No stability, always asked to stay a full shift at the last minute. Casuals at top rate get paid $7 per hour less than full time employees for doing the exact same work, even if you work the same number of hours. If you don't specify a weekday that you are unavailable, you could end up working 7 days a week, but short shifts. I went from 37 to 40 hours per week to 20 hours without any warning. There is also very much an "us" and "them" mentality as some fulltime employees feel that casuals are below them, even though they have been there themselves. I really regret wasting 9.5 years there, and am looking elsewhere.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
No stability or security
Great Place to work, looking for a different life style of work
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Belleville, ON21 October 2016
Helped customers find what they were looking for. Stocked shelves, worked on cash. Helped tidy store after closing. My co-workers were great and friendly. Management were vert friendly also. I learned a lot of customer skills.
Pros
Great people to work with
Cons
A lot of lifting
Overall I enjoyed it
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON10 May 2016
I found it very difficult to advance my career here despite being an extremely knowledgeable seasonal employee who has a strong relationship with the customers. Everyone goes insane over the pay its really only $1 more than the minimum wage which isn't bad but not all the big hype. However I assume when hired as a part-timer it will be a little higher. They make you work hard, and make sure you earn every dollar they pay you. It's a very demanding job but overall all the people are wonderful and to the contrary I loved my boss! They have a wonderful team dynamic that makes you feel safe, they are quick to support you and back you up in every situation. Sometimes company reps come in with wines, and spirits to sample along with free food or snacks which was awesome. However, other than the sampling also contrary to popular belief NO FREE ALCOHOL. I have no complaints about that but it's not a real thing. Hours are long, stores are packed especially on holidays and long weekends none of which you will ever have off for any reason at all. So all that being said if you're not willing to sacrifice all your evenings, weekends and holidays for the summer and are ready to work your butt of then this is for you. I did a summer once and definitely won't do it again but it was a wonderful growing experience. Getting part time is next to impossible, but that is the only time I would ever work there again because of increased pay and slightly more leverage to ask for a day or two off.
Pros
great people, great management, free samples, free food
Cons
long days, extremely busy, very demanding, minimal chance of advancement
Secure and comfortable environment with opportunity for different experiences and to work with plenty of different people.
CUSTOMER SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE / CASHIER (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON22 April 2016
I enjoyed my time with the LCBO, they were very good to me and provided me with the necessary training and security for the job. I was able to to experience being on the floor in addition to working cash, speak with customers and give recommendations. I was able to develop skills related to time management, inventory management, and strong communication & interpersonal skills.
Pros
accommodating, friendly staff, flexibility in task selection for the day
Cons
on-call, tough hours, overnights
Fast paced environment and out going people to work with.
CSR, Cashier, Merchandising, Stock (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON20 April 2016
I was always the early, early bird to work. Never late for any of my shifts. I have an outgoing nature and great with people young and old. I was always there to assist my co-workers and customers. Management knew they could rely on me at all times. The hardest part of the job was being able to service and help everyone on a busy busy day. The best part of my job was seeing the faces of my co-workers and my customers too.
Pros
the money when the hours are there.
Cons
the lack hours due to seniority.
Monopolistic Joke
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Ontario14 September 2015
Union philosophy throughout the organisation, horrible upper management uses bully tactics on store managers, expected workload hampered by "Policy a week" standards. Zero management training or backup from District Managers.
No reward for hard work and no incentives for employees. Supply chain management is a joke, with no accountability from anyone in charge.
Pros
Okay salary
Cons
Too many to list. Run, run fast from this pseudo company