LCBO

LCBO Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Best Retail Job Ever!
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), Oakville, ONFebruary 19, 2015
Pros: a retail job without the retail pressure (sell, sell, sell!!!)
Cons: not all managers run their stores the same way
I work at one of the largest LCBO's in Ontario. Flagship stores are lucky to have what they have (1000’s of Vintage wines and collectable spirits, full kitchen for Chef’s demonstrations and a Tasting Bar holding 52 of the current vintage release wines to “try before you buy”), but every store has the basic tools you need to show management that you are willing, able and want to WORK!
I have worked for 2 different managers at my “home store”. One manager was hired "off the street" and their focus was on saving money. This was difficult as a "low on the ladder" employee; as my hours were slim to nil. I was on customer service (cash) a lot, and have no regrets or hard feelings about this. It has made me a better leader.
My second Manager has worked as a casual up to management. The focus in the store now is to get the job done no matter what the cost (ie. if we need tape, we get tape. If we need more cashiers, we call in cashiers).
This manager has been supportive in my career development. They recognise my strengths and help me overcome my weaknesses. It is thanks to this manager that I am now attending WSET classes, giving me the knowledge needed to progress into a Product Consultant position. (These are pricy classes to take and the costs will be reimbursed {if} I pass),
Yes all promotions are based off of seniority, however you need to apply no matter what your hiring date was, because like any other job application, you never know, you might be the only person applying and land the job. (I have seen this happen)
My overall experience with the LCBO has been amazing. Yes you – more... spend a lot of time on cash, especially when you first start. This is how you learn what is what in the store you are working in.
Take advantage of being next to a computer and learn about various products in the store, new and upcoming releases, or history of products (especially local wineries, breweries and distilleries). Customers like to know they are supporting the community, as many of these entrepreneurs wouldn’t be able to sell to such a vast clientele if the LCBO didn’t carry their products.
Take advantage of being the last face that your customers see before they leave the store. Give them tips on mixing drinks, recommend new or alternative products, remember who they are and what they like and you WILL have a following of people who want YOU (not a consultant) to help them.
Seasonal's are hired on to run the cash desks for the reason that we need our regular casual staff on the floor assisting customers. As a casual employee, I rely on the help that our team of Seasonal workers offer. They are always excellent support and free up our work load so we can better assist our customers by keeping shelves fully stocked and providing more one on one customer service.
I have read so many negative reviews about what it’s like to work for the LCBO, and it saddens me that these employees are not satisfied with their work. I remember what it’s like to work for “other” retail companies. I proudly tell people daily that I traded in my high heel shoes for steel toes and I will never go back. The LCBO has offered me challenging tasks, even at cash, and I am proud to be one of a large team that takes its Social Responsibility seriously.
I am known as the “happy cashier” to many of our customers, and am often asked “why are you so happy ALL the time”? My answer is simple: I work at the Liquor Store.
Why wouldn’t I be happy? I’m paid better than I was as a Manager in the retail industry, my job is challenging (on slow days I make up my own challenges) and I work with wonderful people (even if we don’t always agree with each other).
If you work for the Board and are not satisfied, call other stores and see what you can learn from other employees. Transfers, Continuing Education and On the Job Training are available to EVERYONE. You just have to have passion. (It’s all in YOUR attitude towards the job)
Thank you for spending the time to read this lengthy review. – less
Customer Service
Seasonal Help (Former Employee), NewmarketSeptember 21, 2014
Pros: time flys by when it is the festive season
Cons: the shifts when it wasn't busy
Working contract for the Lcbo is not only challenging, but satisfying, as a cashier, l had the opportunity to learn about different types of alcohol, and pairing of the wine and spirits. However what made the job one to remember is the customers needs and challenges they brought forward at the time of year being Christmas, with food pairing and gift purchasing. I not only enjoyed the customers and needs, but my colleagues who made coming into work a memorable one. We were like family in Newmarket and with the new store here in Newmarket, l still see my fellow employees.

I remember at Christmas eve and New years eve, with 30 people deep in my line, how enjoyable it was to keep not only my customer happy at my desk, but those in line awaiting to be served, and keeping the customer happy and of course their time waiting brief.

I have accumulated many stories working here, especially the mom asking the young son what energy drinks were mixed with, and he pretending he had no idea, as he winked at me, as we both new he had! The breakfast club, who would try to get in more then a few times a day, so as you can see their was never a dull moment. My experience as the LCBO is one l miss. Cheers
No, we do not get discounts on alcohol
Customer Service Associate (Current Employee), GTAJanuary 14, 2013
Pros: good wage, good co-workers, decent management
Cons: heavy lifting, no benefits
Yes, you make a half decent wage but you work your butt off for it. I work at a small store and you do a bit of everything. 3 times a week we spend hours unloading trucks and putting away stock. If you think that continuously lifting 50-60 pound cases of booze is easy you are not over 50 like I am. Liquor stores, at least all of the ones that I have been at, are always busy so if you are on cash you never stop. Most people are nice, some are just rude but no more so than any other retail job. Having to tell people you can't serve them because they are intoxicated is difficult because their reactions vary. Some people are okay with it, most aren't. Most of my co-workers have always been okay. You have to work at the LCBO a minimum of five years before you qualify for any benefits and then you have to requalify every year, unless you are full time. It takes between 12 to 15 years to make full time.

All my managers, so far, have been great so I've been lucky. Not a bad part-time job at all.
Awesome co-workers and great manager and fun place to work
Customer Service and Sales (Former Employee), Barrie, ONMay 9, 2013
Pros: fun and learned lots about lcbo
Cons: seasonal - you have to re-apply every year
Christmas time was a great experience, all the customers were in wonderful and giving mood. Most bought our lcbo products and donated to charities like Salvation Army Vol. or our charity money boxes. The manager was a great leader who ensured we all felt comfortable and had an open door policy. The co-workers were welcoming and informative. The hardest part of the job was learning where the different sections of the store were.,eg.wines, beer, imported.,local, liquors,etc .,so I could be efficient in answering customers questions as well as stocking shelves which emptied quickly throughout the Xmas holidays. Extreme lineups had to be dealt with in a very quick and efficient,yet friendly and detail oriented fashion. I enjoyed the many different types of people I got to meet and greet throughout my shifts.
Great environment with exceptional co workers
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Brampton, ONNovember 9, 2012
Pros: great employees
Cons: lack of advancement
The LCBO is a great company to work for because it has a great management team that works with their employees for a great work/life balance.

My typical day working for the LCBO was working behind the customer service desk handling large orders and helping customers. It also involved booking classes that the LCBO provided while multi tasking with the phone and customer requests.

This job was fun because I was given many tasks to do so I was kept quite busy which made the day pass fast. The most enjoyable part of working at the LCBO was meeting and working alongside some fantastic individuals.

A downside to working for the LCBO is that it is hard to move from being a casual employee to a full time employee and can take many years for that progression to occur.
Lcbo
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Ancaster, ONFebruary 9, 2015
Pros: great place to work
Cons: always on your feet
During my time at the LCBO Ancaster, i learned a lot of things abut the product and helping the customer to the best of your ability. Managers would give us the necessary training and help that we needed to succed in the workplace. A typical day at work would include of, stocking the product and helping the customers when they need it. Helping customers may include: helping a customer find a product, helping a customer carry their purchase to their car and also if a spill or breakage occurs clean it up and make sure you put out the caution signs. Further more, the most enjoyable part of the job is helping out the customer find what they are looking for. As for the hardest part of the job, i would have to say knowing all the different types of wine and alchohol and where they are located in the store.
Very fun to work there as the sky was the limit for sales
Store Manager (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJune 15, 2013
Pros: lots of trade shows to go to met vintners from all over the world
Cons: driving to the gta sometimes 4-6 hours a day!
I would start early every day to clear my paperwork so that I would have time to work with the staff and help the customers. I learned a lot about product selection and inventory control. My coworkers varied in age dramatically but I found that no issue as I treated all the staff the same. The hardest part was stopping some of them for drinking on the job! The best part was helping customers with their large orders and picking out various wines that would correctly pair off with food that the customers were looking for. The one store I managed in TO on Christmas week we hit a million in sales on the Thursday with 3 big sales day to go. We were one of only a few in the entire company to achieve this.
Con't learining and fun work place
Customer Liaison (Current Employee), Mississauga, ONJune 11, 2012
Pros: free lunches, wine tasting and hourly rate of pay
Cons: not enough hours in one week much less the month based on senority
Learning new products and peering wines, sprits and beers with foods to help customers and restaurant owners make the right decision gives me a sense of fulfillment in this part time position. Being able to use hand held computers for store operations makes the job easier and interesting. Being able to fundraise while on cash duty also gives me a sense of community involvement. Protecting the community from underage and intoxicated customers by refusing sales gives me a sense of responsibility in this position. I take my job seriously so that I may be able to continue to learn and grow in this position.
Meh
CSR (Current Employee), ottawaMay 5, 2015
Pros: Pay is great for retail job, gain knowledge on products, tastings
Cons: hard to advance, seniority base, no protection for casuals, getting bumped hours often
ive been working with the LCBO and it had to be the most unstable job I have ever had. The hours were great to start (35 hours a week) but than you start getting bumped (hours are based on seniority) and now I'm getting 9 hours a week if I'm lucky. Its hard to advance, people have been working with the LCBO for 10 years and are still casual workers. I think its stupid if you don't speak french it'll take an average of 10 years to get a full-time position but if you do speak french it'll take an average of 4 years to get full time. Managers of the store change often.

Great for students or if you have a second job.
Awesome place to work
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJanuary 31, 2014
Pros: everyone was really friendly
Cons: very hard to get hours, goes by seniority.
Worked at the LCBO for the winter season - Seasonal
Working at the LCBO was an awesome experience. Management was good at communicating tasks and recognizing you for accomplishing tasks. Co-workers were always there if you needed any help or had any questions, everyone was really friendly. The hardest/scariest part of the job would be telling an intoxicated customer that we can not serve them, a lot of the time they would get mad and start swearing at you but my co-workers and the management team always had my back in any situations like that. Most enjoyable part of the job was going in to see everyone day after day.
Stable workplace
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), Toronto, ONApril 30, 2014
I generally begin my day by counting my cash til. I then ask my superiors what tasks need to be completed for the day. This can include but not limited to: stock, diverts, cycle counts, cashier til set ups, counting the safe, facing the store etc. I maintain a high level of customer service from the minute i enter and leave the premises. I engage in conversation with all customers and aid them in finding the product most suitable to their needs. I enjoy engaging in conversations with my coworkers and try to make a light and friendly work atmosphere.
Very Enjoyable
Customer Service/Cashier (Former Employee), Oshawa, ONSeptember 3, 2013
I was hired as a seasonal employee over the Christamas Holidays. Thanks to the strong skills of LCBO employees, I was able to learn the cash very easily and always balanced at the end of a busy shift. I learned how to establish whether or not a customer was intoxicated and should or should not be served, and how to provide the best customer service by being knowledgeable about LCBO products. I enjoy working in a fast paced environment and have taken several human relation courses which has brought my customer service skills to a very high level.
depends on the day productive some and other not so
Labourer (Former Employee), Oshawa, ONOctober 23, 2014
Pros: knowing what new booze was coming through other then that nothing
a normal day at works held lots of laughs and got alot done alot of work some times to much . i learned how to tie a new knot . management was a joke most of the time. co workers were awesome got along great with everyone . the hardest part was a place called jack pot were the overflow of the shipping lines went and it was usually full cause there was always to much work and not enough ppl . most enjoyable part was lunch and when i got a nice easy line to my self .
overall being a labouer is physically hard work, but not mentally hard work
Labourer (Current Employee), Oshawa, ONNovember 1, 2013
Pros: hard working employees
Cons: easy work
LCBO Warehouse is a good place to work, if your willing to work hard each day. Most of the co-workers are hard working men who are friendly and always willing to help their co-workers. LCBO has great management that care for their employees and their families. The hardest part of being a laborer is the job isn't mentally challenging. The most enjoyable part of being a laborer is knowing the each day you have to work hard in order to get the job done.
Great place to work, with a lot of great people
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Toronto, ONOctober 1, 2013
Pros: great location, fun, and easy
Cons: contract employee only
A typical day at work consisted of doing cash and customer service duties.

Working for the LCBO I learned a lot of product knowledge, and also how to work well with and around people.

Management and coworkers were all amazing, and really great to work with.

The hardest part was being a contract employee with a very little chance of moving up in the company.

The most enjoyable part was the people, coworkers and customers.
Good work environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Etobicoke, ONJune 5, 2013
My responsibilities included cashing customers out, and making sure the store was kept clean and organized. The work environment was a positive one, and there was good communication between all employees. The hardest part of the job was having to learn all the information about all the different types of liquor and products sold at the store, the most enjoyable part was getting to learn new information about products and customer service that could help me with future jobs.
Monopolistic Joke
Store Manager (Former Employee), OntarioSeptember 14, 2015
Pros: Okay salary
Cons: Too many to list. Run, run fast from this pseudo company
Union philosophy throughout the organisation, horrible upper management uses bully tactics on store managers, expected workload hampered by "Policy a week" standards. Zero management training or backup from District Managers.
No reward for hard work and no incentives for employees. Supply chain management is a joke, with no accountability from anyone in charge.
Contract Customer Service Rrepresentative
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), Trenton, ONAugust 8, 2013
Pros: co-workers, job security
Cons: working every night and weekend makes a tough work/family balance
Co-workers are amazing, such a great team! Hours are unpredictable. You have to check the scehdule every time you go in because they may have changed something. This makes it hard to schedule life with kids. Extremely long wait to become full-time. Lots of opportunity to learn!
Excellent Government position, not your typical Call Center environment
CSR - hello LCBO (Current Employee), Toronto, OntarioOctober 27, 2012
Pros: praises from customers and management, employee recognition rewards, free lunches for a job well done.
Cons: being chained to your desk for very long periods of time (8 hours per day) due to wearing a headset.
Fantastic co-workers and management. Not your typical call center environment. Very relaxing atmosphere and the pay is better than average.
Great Work Experience
Customer Service Representative (Part-time) (Former Employee), Brampton, ONJune 18, 2015
Pros: good job oppurtunity
Cons: difficult to advance in a secure title when working part time/seasonal
LCBO was a great work environment. Working at LCBO allowed me to advance my knowledge in product and sales. I also became more confident with my customer service skills which is crucial in any environment that involves dealing with customers/staff/employees etc.
Headquarters