LCBO Employee Reviews in Canada

A great place to work but only short contract positions offered.
Sales Representative/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Hawkesbury, ONAugust 19, 2016
The LCBO was a great place to work. The management and employees have a good repartee and understanding of the work balance. Both were very helpful and informative.
Customer service is high on the list and I appreciate that. Everyone is productive with an excellent knowledge of safety.
I would recommend it as a great place to work!
Pros
Terrific treatment of new employees. Friendly employees and considerate staff.
Cons
Contract position offered only with a lot of regulars already listed.
Productive and fun
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ONAugust 18, 2016
Enjoy working in the fast pasted environment. The employees are knowledgeable and fun to work with. It is an extremely busy place to work at, the days go by fast. I have become more assertive since working there.
Pros
Staff is fun and helpful
Cons
Little Hours
Perfect job for anyone
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONAugust 16, 2016
See myself working for Lcbo in the future but needed time off and they would not grant it for me sad to say but I had to quit without wanting to.
Pros
Learning about all the products
Cons
The system could be better.
Great Part-time job
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Sarnia, ONAugust 9, 2016
I work full-time during the day, so working as a casual at the LCBO is a great gig for extra money. I am only available week nights, so I'm mostly on cash, helping customers, putting out stock and facing. I enjoy people and have learned alot about our products - especially wine! Alot of my co-workers are upset about hours being cut - they now have to work 7 days a week just to make ends meet (alot of them are single women). I am fortunate that I enjoy the 4 to 5 hour shifts and I don't need to work every day.
The management at my store is wonderful. I get time off when I ask (usually weeks in advance). Coworkers complain, but try working a non-government retail job. I mean the booze sells itself. We just have to stand there and take your $$.
I have been a casual now for almost 2 years. I plan on keeping this 2nd job as long as I can!
Pros
Alcohol sells itself! Don't have to be a pushy salesperson
Cons
Working Friday nights and Saturday
Aweful place to work for.
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  London, ONAugust 8, 2016
Not a respected employer. Higher management can do what they want without repercussion. Very disappointed with unprofessional and discriminating treatment from senior management.
Pros
Cons
unfair treatment of employees
Productive place to work
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONAugust 6, 2016
i liked working there. management and stuffs are fun to work with.its a great place to work. i wish my contract was a little bit longer.
Aweful experience
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Markham, ONJuly 17, 2016
Your hours are basically non negotiable. Benefits are not received for many years. Management is atrocious. Staff is mainly disgruntled and lack morale or interest. Not recommended.
Pros
Cons
Hours (sporadic and unreliable)
OJT training
CSR - Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 10, 2016
Hired recently. Two full days of in-class training at the start. Well done.

However, first day working on-the-job training at the cash register was an eye opener. Given the basics and then left to fend for yourself. Help was generally close by but difficult to get because they were busy themselves with customers.

In class training. CSR cashier training pathetic.
Pros
Great bunch of people to work with.
Cons
ON THE JOB training as a cashier shameful.
Hard to rely on consistent paycheck
CSR (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONJuly 1, 2016
After 9 years as a casual, my hours have been cut twice. They can get away with giving me a 4 hour shift, and someone just hired will get a shift of the same length. No stability, always asked to stay a full shift at the last minute. Casuals at top rate get paid $7 per hour less than full time employees for doing the exact same work, even if you work the same number of hours. If you don't specify a weekday that you are unavailable, you could end up working 7 days a week, but short shifts. I went from 37 to 40 hours per week to 20 hours without any warning. There is also very much an "us" and "them" mentality as some fulltime employees feel that casuals are below them, even though they have been there themselves. I really regret wasting 9.5 years there, and am looking elsewhere.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
No stability or security
Fantastic Place To Work
Customer Service Representative (Seasonal) (Former Employee) –  London, ONJune 28, 2016
Great Benefits, friendly staff, lots of room to advance. Breaks were given, working environment was open, safe, easy. Takes some time to gain seniority, but if you're willing to put in the hours it's well worth it.
Productive and Active
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Bowmanville, ONJune 15, 2016
Please see my Résumé as it details a regular working day My coworkers made the day go by quickly. Manager was there to over seen the day.
Its people`s wellness and safety are their priority!
SALES REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  Ajax, ONJune 15, 2016
I was such a lucky person by being part of the LCBO team even if it was for a short period of time during the winter season. What I loved the most was when they all were aware of me during my first day at work and gave me that smile that would ask me: "Are you ok? I am here to help..just in case!".
Pros
Excellency and safety are definitively their priority.
Cons
Few permanent jobs
Hated the Union environment
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONJune 8, 2016
Love my job , loved most of the staff. did like the union. Hard to manage in an union. Culture is not flexible and hard to change for the better.
fun busy
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 6, 2016
good place to work, sometimes gets hectic but overall a good job
have to have good customer skills, be good with people ]
good coworkers range from young to old
Wonderful work environment
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONJune 1, 2016
The LCBO is a welcoming, supportive work environment and anyone interested in joining the board is encouraged to do so.
An ok place to work. pays the bills
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 16, 2016
My normal day at work is everything and anything. master of everything reasonable for nothing

It really hard to know what i will be doing and what I'm suppose to do.

Thru my years of work, I have gained lots of information in the alcohol indrastry

When I started at the LCBO the management was amazing, kind, will to do what it takes to get things done and help staff, professional and personal. They really care.

Now in the current time, most of the managers are really disconnected from the staff. They never leave their desk.

My co-workers are the hardest part about the job. I could write a book on how bad they can be.

the most enjoyable part of my job is the customers. My favorite of the customers is the homeless. The looks they give when I have treated them like that a human.
Pros
No Pros
Cons
Co-workers
Love it
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  KitchenerMay 15, 2016
Great place to work, able to be flexible with my schedule and great coworkers. Hours were good, and shifts were always fast paced
Fast paced and multi-faceted place to work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONMay 10, 2016
At the beginning of each shift you count your till, and organize your till. Then you begin to organize and make the store look presentable. While doing this, I am also handling customers, dealing with returns or exchanges and providing friendly, efficient service.
Overall I enjoyed it
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONMay 10, 2016
I found it very difficult to advance my career here despite being an extremely knowledgeable seasonal employee who has a strong relationship with the customers. Everyone goes insane over the pay its really only $1 more than the minimum wage which isn't bad but not all the big hype. However I assume when hired as a part-timer it will be a little higher. They make you work hard, and make sure you earn every dollar they pay you. It's a very demanding job but overall all the people are wonderful and to the contrary I loved my boss! They have a wonderful team dynamic that makes you feel safe, they are quick to support you and back you up in every situation. Sometimes company reps come in with wines, and spirits to sample along with free food or snacks which was awesome. However, other than the sampling also contrary to popular belief NO FREE ALCOHOL. I have no complaints about that but it's not a real thing. Hours are long, stores are packed especially on holidays and long weekends none of which you will ever have off for any reason at all. So all that being said if you're not willing to sacrifice all your evenings, weekends and holidays for the summer and are ready to work your butt of then this is for you. I did a summer once and definitely won't do it again but it was a wonderful growing experience. Getting part time is next to impossible, but that is the only time I would ever work there again because of increased pay and slightly more leverage to ask for a day or two off.
Pros
great people, great management, free samples, free food
Cons
long days, extremely busy, very demanding, minimal chance of advancement
depressing job
Warehouse as temp worker (Former Employee) –  Whitby, ONMay 9, 2016
working in a ware house is a depressing and hard job and the hours are long and you never see the sun light. Also it's very stressful and they can replace you easily.