LCBO Employee Reviews

Great Part-time job
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Sarnia, ONAugust 9, 2016
I work full-time during the day, so working as a casual at the LCBO is a great gig for extra money. I am only available week nights, so I'm mostly on cash, helping customers, putting out stock and facing. I enjoy people and have learned alot about our products - especially wine! Alot of my co-workers are upset about hours being cut - they now have to work 7 days a week just to make ends meet (alot of them are single women). I am fortunate that I enjoy the 4 to 5 hour shifts and I don't need to work every day.
The management at my store is wonderful. I get time off when I ask (usually weeks in advance). Coworkers complain, but try working a non-government retail job. I mean the booze sells itself. We just have to stand there and take your $$.
I have been a casual now for almost 2 years. I plan on keeping this 2nd job as long as I can!
Pros
Alcohol sells itself! Don't have to be a pushy salesperson
Cons
Working Friday nights and Saturday
Hard to rely on consistent paycheck
CSR (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONJuly 1, 2016
After 9 years as a casual, my hours have been cut twice. They can get away with giving me a 4 hour shift, and someone just hired will get a shift of the same length. No stability, always asked to stay a full shift at the last minute. Casuals at top rate get paid $7 per hour less than full time employees for doing the exact same work, even if you work the same number of hours. If you don't specify a weekday that you are unavailable, you could end up working 7 days a week, but short shifts. I went from 37 to 40 hours per week to 20 hours without any warning. There is also very much an "us" and "them" mentality as some fulltime employees feel that casuals are below them, even though they have been there themselves. I really regret wasting 9.5 years there, and am looking elsewhere.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
No stability or security
An ok place to work. pays the bills
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 16, 2016
My normal day at work is everything and anything. master of everything reasonable for nothing

It really hard to know what i will be doing and what I'm suppose to do.

Thru my years of work, I have gained lots of information in the alcohol indrastry

When I started at the LCBO the management was amazing, kind, will to do what it takes to get things done and help staff, professional and personal. They really care.

Now in the current time, most of the managers are really disconnected from the staff. They never leave their desk.

My co-workers are the hardest part about the job. I could write a book on how bad they can be.

the most enjoyable part of my job is the customers. My favorite of the customers is the homeless. The looks they give when I have treated them like that a human.
Pros
No Pros
Cons
Co-workers
A great place to work but only short contract positions offered.
Sales Representative/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Hawkesbury, ONAugust 19, 2016
The LCBO was a great place to work. The management and employees have a good repartee and understanding of the work balance. Both were very helpful and informative.
Customer service is high on the list and I appreciate that. Everyone is productive with an excellent knowledge of safety.
I would recommend it as a great place to work!
Pros
Terrific treatment of new employees. Friendly employees and considerate staff.
Cons
Contract position offered only with a lot of regulars already listed.
OJT training
CSR - Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 10, 2016
Hired recently. Two full days of in-class training at the start. Well done.

However, first day working on-the-job training at the cash register was an eye opener. Given the basics and then left to fend for yourself. Help was generally close by but difficult to get because they were busy themselves with customers.

In class training. CSR cashier training pathetic.
Pros
Great bunch of people to work with.
Cons
ON THE JOB training as a cashier shameful.
Secure and comfortable environment with opportunity for different experiences and to work with plenty of different people.
CUSTOMER SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE / CASHIER (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONApril 22, 2016
I enjoyed my time with the LCBO, they were very good to me and provided me with the necessary training and security for the job. I was able to to experience being on the floor in addition to working cash, speak with customers and give recommendations. I was able to develop skills related to time management, inventory management, and strong communication & interpersonal skills.
Pros
accommodating, friendly staff, flexibility in task selection for the day
Cons
on-call, tough hours, overnights
Very lovely work environment.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Milton, ONMay 6, 2016
Working at LCBO was very beneficial as I worked as a summer work term employee while going through school. It was a very good opportunity to advance my customer service skills as I dealt with a variety of customers and staff. I would recommend to anyone as a temporary job, but certainly not full time as they rarely have full time employees that receive benefits. Most of the people I worked with were still deemed part time after working at LCBO for 10+ years.
Pros
Great work environment
Cons
No advancement opportunities
Great Place to Work
Customer Service Representative (CSR) (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 15, 2016
Great place to work that is both challenging, but easy going. Everyone in my store was a team player which made the whole environment so much better. Gained lots of knowledge on products and always continuing to learn. Management was great. I feel protected with the union.
a great place to work
Customer Service Representative and Cashier (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMarch 26, 2016
I love working at the LCBO as a CSR. the hours as a casual are not stable, and there are no benefits, but the atmosphere is great and the flexibility for students is advantageous to their school
day time and evening shifts were part of job
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONSeptember 7, 2016
Job advancement was profided.Permanant hours safe enviorment.Welcoming place with a chance to grow.Wine courses offered.

Chance to advance in the job.Flex vacations time.

Benifits and vacation time offered.

Customers were nice. Got to provide excellent customer service
Pros
fun place
Cons
lots if evening work.
Decent workplace
Customer Service Representative (Seasonal) (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONApril 25, 2016
As a seasonal employee, you're paid quite a bit less than the permanent individuals there for doing what I felt like was a lot more work.
Regardless, they were friendly and tried to reduce your stress as much as possible. There was a Christmas potluck, which was nice.
-You get a LOT of hours depending on what you state your availability is
-You meet a lot of interesting (sometimes drunk) people, and learn to manage your stress in such a busy shop
-Permanent/casual re-hires are not as common as I would like
Fast paced environment and out going people to work with.
CSR, Cashier, Merchandising, Stock (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 20, 2016
I was always the early, early bird to work. Never late for any of my shifts. I have an outgoing nature and great with people young and old. I was always there to assist my co-workers and customers. Management knew they could rely on me at all times. The hardest part of the job was being able to service and help everyone on a busy busy day. The best part of my job was seeing the faces of my co-workers and my customers too.
Pros
the money when the hours are there.
Cons
the lack hours due to seniority.
Its people`s wellness and safety are their priority!
SALES REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  Ajax, ONJune 15, 2016
I was such a lucky person by being part of the LCBO team even if it was for a short period of time during the winter season. What I loved the most was when they all were aware of me during my first day at work and gave me that smile that would ask me: "Are you ok? I am here to help..just in case!".
Pros
Excellency and safety are definitively their priority.
Cons
Few permanent jobs
Productive and fun
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ONAugust 18, 2016
Enjoy working in the fast pasted environment. The employees are knowledgeable and fun to work with. It is an extremely busy place to work at, the days go by fast. I have become more assertive since working there.
Pros
Staff is fun and helpful
Cons
Little Hours
Fast paced and friendly work enviroment
Summer Fixed Term Employee (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONSeptember 8, 2016
A typical day at LCBO is very fast paced there are many customers coming in to the store and you have to have a strong product knowledge to help every one of them. The people working at the LCBO are all great and fun to work with
Monopolistic Joke
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  OntarioSeptember 14, 2015
Union philosophy throughout the organisation, horrible upper management uses bully tactics on store managers, expected workload hampered by "Policy a week" standards. Zero management training or backup from District Managers.
No reward for hard work and no incentives for employees. Supply chain management is a joke, with no accountability from anyone in charge.
Pros
Okay salary
Cons
Too many to list. Run, run fast from this pseudo company
Aweful place to work for.
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  London, ONAugust 8, 2016
Not a respected employer. Higher management can do what they want without repercussion. Very disappointed with unprofessional and discriminating treatment from senior management.
Pros
Cons
unfair treatment of employees
Perfect job for anyone
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONAugust 16, 2016
See myself working for Lcbo in the future but needed time off and they would not grant it for me sad to say but I had to quit without wanting to.
Pros
Learning about all the products
Cons
The system could be better.
Aweful experience
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Markham, ONJuly 17, 2016
Your hours are basically non negotiable. Benefits are not received for many years. Management is atrocious. Staff is mainly disgruntled and lack morale or interest. Not recommended.
Pros
Cons
Hours (sporadic and unreliable)
Fantastic Place To Work
Customer Service Representative (Seasonal) (Former Employee) –  London, ONJune 28, 2016
Great Benefits, friendly staff, lots of room to advance. Breaks were given, working environment was open, safe, easy. Takes some time to gain seniority, but if you're willing to put in the hours it's well worth it.