LCBO Employee Reviews

Pay 12/hr as cashier, free wine samples occasionally
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON15 January 2017
The environment feels respectful, depends which LCBO you work at. Since it's a government job, breaks are scheduled and always given. I enjoyed the training, learning workplace safety and lifting procedures. I never learned how to properly lift objects anywhere else. I was working cash, checking ID's, restocking shelves.
Pros
pay is 12/hr
Cons
short hours for first starters, it's difficult to get promoted because so many babyboomers work there and wont quit.
Good Job; Boring shifts
WAREHOUSE ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Whitby, ON6 October 2016
Basic labor warehouse job, unloaded cases of alcohol on factory line. 4 p.m- 12 a.m shift Monday- Friday. Management very friendly and laid back if the line was kept in order. Isolated and no communication with co-workers as each person operated their own frait. Boring shifts as we were no allowed to listen to music and had to listen to nothing but factory noise for 8 hours
Pros
easy job
Cons
boring shift
Great Place to work, looking for a different life style of work
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Belleville, ON21 October 2016
Helped customers find what they were looking for. Stocked shelves, worked on cash. Helped tidy store after closing. My co-workers were great and friendly. Management were vert friendly also. I learned a lot of customer skills.
Pros
Great people to work with
Cons
A lot of lifting
Fun place to work, co-workers were helpful and lively, management was nice
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON3 January 2017
- the hours were good, worked with my school work
- the management always tried to be fair with hours and breaks
- co-workers helped me learn the ropes and were lively and fun to work with
- pay was good for the work I was required to do
Great workplace and environment in Picton location. Management in Picton excellent and accommodating.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Picton, ON12 January 2017
I enjoyed working here-- learned a lot. Work hours and advancement limited. Fellow employees willing to help and give advice in a friendly and helpful manner. Cashier duties are extensive.
Good pay, needs more room for progression
CSR - Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 January 2017
Great job and security, a bit repetitive in daily tasks. can be unfair with seniority, people who have been there longer take advantage. great management and good pay, overall good environment and fresh ideas
Cons
work weekend and long weekends
A great place to work but only short contract positions offered.
Sales Representative/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Hawkesbury, ON19 August 2016
The LCBO was a great place to work. The management and employees have a good repartee and understanding of the work balance. Both were very helpful and informative.
Customer service is high on the list and I appreciate that. Everyone is productive with an excellent knowledge of safety.
I would recommend it as a great place to work!
Pros
Terrific treatment of new employees. Friendly employees and considerate staff.
Cons
Contract position offered only with a lot of regulars already listed.
day time and evening shifts were part of job
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON7 September 2016
Job advancement was profided.Permanant hours safe enviorment.Welcoming place with a chance to grow.Wine courses offered.

Chance to advance in the job.Flex vacations time.

Benifits and vacation time offered.

Customers were nice. Got to provide excellent customer service
Pros
fun place
Cons
lots if evening work.
Productive and enjoyable work environment.
Sales Associate (part-time) (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON5 December 2016
A typical day at work requires a lot of customer service which also requires extensive product knowledge. Not only do I serve customers on the floor but also on cash. The most enjoyable part of the job is that I learn something new each day.
Government bureaucracy
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON9 January 2017
Each day comes with new challenges but, is definitely a great opportunity to learn. It has provided me a thick skin from individuals who have called me every name in the book. Although it takes a while to progress, It is a great secure job.
Excellent Establishment
Shipper/Receiver (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON9 November 2016
this was a great place to work
people are friendly and progressive
and opportunistic atmosphere to work in
i recommend this organization to all young workers looking to start somewhere that can take them places
Pros
good hours
Cons
short lunch break
Not a great fit for me.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON18 November 2016
Time for a change but a good working experience. I learn a lot about customer serves as well as wine/ alcohol knowledge. Familiar with service laws around alcohol. over all it was a great learning experience and took a lot from it.
OJT training
CSR - Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 July 2016
Hired recently. Two full days of in-class training at the start. Well done.

However, first day working on-the-job training at the cash register was an eye opener. Given the basics and then left to fend for yourself. Help was generally close by but difficult to get because they were busy themselves with customers.

In class training. CSR cashier training pathetic.
Pros
Great bunch of people to work with.
Cons
ON THE JOB training as a cashier shameful.
Fast paced and attention to detail is required while serving customers.
Cashier, beverage sales/customer service rep (Former Employee) –  Verona, ON25 October 2016
As I have worked at the LCBO Foodland, I would rate this job as a 3 out of 5. A Real LCBO would get a different rating Ask in person.
Pros
close to home
Cons
under paid
Great Part-time job
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Sarnia, ON9 August 2016
I work full-time during the day, so working as a casual at the LCBO is a great gig for extra money. I am only available week nights, so I'm mostly on cash, helping customers, putting out stock and facing. I enjoy people and have learned alot about our products - especially wine! Alot of my co-workers are upset about hours being cut - they now have to work 7 days a week just to make ends meet (alot of them are single women). I am fortunate that I enjoy the 4 to 5 hour shifts and I don't need to work every day.
The management at my store is wonderful. I get time off when I ask (usually weeks in advance). Coworkers complain, but try working a non-government retail job. I mean the booze sells itself. We just have to stand there and take your $$.
I have been a casual now for almost 2 years. I plan on keeping this 2nd job as long as I can!
Pros
Alcohol sells itself! Don't have to be a pushy salesperson
Cons
Working Friday nights and Saturday
Fast paced and friendly work enviroment
Summer Fixed Term Employee (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON8 September 2016
A typical day at LCBO is very fast paced there are many customers coming in to the store and you have to have a strong product knowledge to help every one of them. The people working at the LCBO are all great and fun to work with
Hard to rely on consistent paycheck
CSR (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON1 July 2016
After 9 years as a casual, my hours have been cut twice. They can get away with giving me a 4 hour shift, and someone just hired will get a shift of the same length. No stability, always asked to stay a full shift at the last minute. Casuals at top rate get paid $7 per hour less than full time employees for doing the exact same work, even if you work the same number of hours. If you don't specify a weekday that you are unavailable, you could end up working 7 days a week, but short shifts. I went from 37 to 40 hours per week to 20 hours without any warning. There is also very much an "us" and "them" mentality as some fulltime employees feel that casuals are below them, even though they have been there themselves. I really regret wasting 9.5 years there, and am looking elsewhere.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
No stability or security
Fun workplace
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  London, ON11 January 2017
This was a very good experience although it was a fix term it was great, and hopefully opens the door for me in the future for further employment with the company
Pros
great experience
Cons
only fix term
Awesome Part-time Gig
Customer Service Representative/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON13 January 2017
Only worked at the LCBO for 1 season.
Fast-paced job as cashier during holiday season
Stocking shelves provided knowledge of product
Safety oriented organization
Productive and fun
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ON18 August 2016
Enjoy working in the fast pasted environment. The employees are knowledgeable and fun to work with. It is an extremely busy place to work at, the days go by fast. I have become more assertive since working there.
Pros
Staff is fun and helpful
Cons
Little Hours