LCBO Employee Reviews

Good Job; Boring shifts
WAREHOUSE ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Whitby, ON6 October 2016
Basic labor warehouse job, unloaded cases of alcohol on factory line. 4 p.m- 12 a.m shift Monday- Friday. Management very friendly and laid back if the line was kept in order. Isolated and no communication with co-workers as each person operated their own frait. Boring shifts as we were no allowed to listen to music and had to listen to nothing but factory noise for 8 hours
Pros
easy job
Cons
boring shift
A great place to work but only short contract positions offered.
Sales Representative/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Hawkesbury, ON19 August 2016
The LCBO was a great place to work. The management and employees have a good repartee and understanding of the work balance. Both were very helpful and informative.
Customer service is high on the list and I appreciate that. Everyone is productive with an excellent knowledge of safety.
I would recommend it as a great place to work!
Pros
Terrific treatment of new employees. Friendly employees and considerate staff.
Cons
Contract position offered only with a lot of regulars already listed.
Great Place to work, looking for a different life style of work
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Belleville, ON21 October 2016
Helped customers find what they were looking for. Stocked shelves, worked on cash. Helped tidy store after closing. My co-workers were great and friendly. Management were vert friendly also. I learned a lot of customer skills.
Pros
Great people to work with
Cons
A lot of lifting
day time and evening shifts were part of job
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON7 September 2016
Job advancement was profided.Permanant hours safe enviorment.Welcoming place with a chance to grow.Wine courses offered.

Chance to advance in the job.Flex vacations time.

Benifits and vacation time offered.

Customers were nice. Got to provide excellent customer service
Pros
fun place
Cons
lots if evening work.
OJT training
CSR - Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 July 2016
Hired recently. Two full days of in-class training at the start. Well done.

However, first day working on-the-job training at the cash register was an eye opener. Given the basics and then left to fend for yourself. Help was generally close by but difficult to get because they were busy themselves with customers.

In class training. CSR cashier training pathetic.
Pros
Great bunch of people to work with.
Cons
ON THE JOB training as a cashier shameful.
Hard to rely on consistent paycheck
CSR (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON1 July 2016
After 9 years as a casual, my hours have been cut twice. They can get away with giving me a 4 hour shift, and someone just hired will get a shift of the same length. No stability, always asked to stay a full shift at the last minute. Casuals at top rate get paid $7 per hour less than full time employees for doing the exact same work, even if you work the same number of hours. If you don't specify a weekday that you are unavailable, you could end up working 7 days a week, but short shifts. I went from 37 to 40 hours per week to 20 hours without any warning. There is also very much an "us" and "them" mentality as some fulltime employees feel that casuals are below them, even though they have been there themselves. I really regret wasting 9.5 years there, and am looking elsewhere.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
No stability or security
Great Part-time job
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Sarnia, ON9 August 2016
I work full-time during the day, so working as a casual at the LCBO is a great gig for extra money. I am only available week nights, so I'm mostly on cash, helping customers, putting out stock and facing. I enjoy people and have learned alot about our products - especially wine! Alot of my co-workers are upset about hours being cut - they now have to work 7 days a week just to make ends meet (alot of them are single women). I am fortunate that I enjoy the 4 to 5 hour shifts and I don't need to work every day.
The management at my store is wonderful. I get time off when I ask (usually weeks in advance). Coworkers complain, but try working a non-government retail job. I mean the booze sells itself. We just have to stand there and take your $$.
I have been a casual now for almost 2 years. I plan on keeping this 2nd job as long as I can!
Pros
Alcohol sells itself! Don't have to be a pushy salesperson
Cons
Working Friday nights and Saturday
Excellent Establishment
Shipper/Receiver (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON9 November 2016
this was a great place to work
people are friendly and progressive
and opportunistic atmosphere to work in
i recommend this organization to all young workers looking to start somewhere that can take them places
Pros
good hours
Cons
short lunch break
Its people`s wellness and safety are their priority!
SALES REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  Ajax, ON15 June 2016
I was such a lucky person by being part of the LCBO team even if it was for a short period of time during the winter season. What I loved the most was when they all were aware of me during my first day at work and gave me that smile that would ask me: "Are you ok? I am here to help..just in case!".
Pros
Excellency and safety are definitively their priority.
Cons
Few permanent jobs
Not a great fit for me.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON18 November 2016
Time for a change but a good working experience. I learn a lot about customer serves as well as wine/ alcohol knowledge. Familiar with service laws around alcohol. over all it was a great learning experience and took a lot from it.
Fast paced and friendly work enviroment
Summer Fixed Term Employee (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON8 September 2016
A typical day at LCBO is very fast paced there are many customers coming in to the store and you have to have a strong product knowledge to help every one of them. The people working at the LCBO are all great and fun to work with
Productive and fun
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ON18 August 2016
Enjoy working in the fast pasted environment. The employees are knowledgeable and fun to work with. It is an extremely busy place to work at, the days go by fast. I have become more assertive since working there.
Pros
Staff is fun and helpful
Cons
Little Hours
Fast paced and attention to detail is required while serving customers.
Cashier, beverage sales/customer service rep (Former Employee) –  Verona, ON25 October 2016
As I have worked at the LCBO Foodland, I would rate this job as a 3 out of 5. A Real LCBO would get a different rating Ask in person.
Pros
close to home
Cons
under paid
Very lovely work environment.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Milton, ON6 May 2016
Working at LCBO was very beneficial as I worked as a summer work term employee while going through school. It was a very good opportunity to advance my customer service skills as I dealt with a variety of customers and staff. I would recommend to anyone as a temporary job, but certainly not full time as they rarely have full time employees that receive benefits. Most of the people I worked with were still deemed part time after working at LCBO for 10+ years.
Pros
Great work environment
Cons
No advancement opportunities
An ok place to work. pays the bills
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON16 May 2016
My normal day at work is everything and anything. master of everything reasonable for nothing

It really hard to know what i will be doing and what I'm suppose to do.

Thru my years of work, I have gained lots of information in the alcohol indrastry

When I started at the LCBO the management was amazing, kind, will to do what it takes to get things done and help staff, professional and personal. They really care.

Now in the current time, most of the managers are really disconnected from the staff. They never leave their desk.

My co-workers are the hardest part about the job. I could write a book on how bad they can be.

the most enjoyable part of my job is the customers. My favorite of the customers is the homeless. The looks they give when I have treated them like that a human.
Pros
No Pros
Cons
Co-workers
Perfect job for anyone
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON16 August 2016
See myself working for Lcbo in the future but needed time off and they would not grant it for me sad to say but I had to quit without wanting to.
Pros
Learning about all the products
Cons
The system could be better.
Aweful place to work for.
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  London, ON8 August 2016
Not a respected employer. Higher management can do what they want without repercussion. Very disappointed with unprofessional and discriminating treatment from senior management.
Pros
Cons
unfair treatment of employees
Decent workplace
Customer Service Representative (Seasonal) (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON25 April 2016
As a seasonal employee, you're paid quite a bit less than the permanent individuals there for doing what I felt like was a lot more work.
Regardless, they were friendly and tried to reduce your stress as much as possible. There was a Christmas potluck, which was nice.
-You get a LOT of hours depending on what you state your availability is
-You meet a lot of interesting (sometimes drunk) people, and learn to manage your stress in such a busy shop
-Permanent/casual re-hires are not as common as I would like
Great government job
Cashier, Product stocking (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON23 October 2016
Great laid back job
Long time on contract but once full time Great pay and vacation.
Hardest part of job would be the customers, I found fellow employers to be very relaxed and kind.
Let's get together
Customer Service Representative (CSR) (Current Employee) –  London, ON1 December 2016
The first time I went to LCBO to buy some wine, I was deeply impressed by its clean and tidy store, well-organized shelves, and the kind employees. It is a good place to work.