LCBO Employee Reviews

the people are very helpful and friendly
Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON18 May 2017
a typical day at work is fun and enjoyable. i learned a lot of stuffs specially talking with other people even if its not my line of work i get to talk to people when ask about a location of the product.the manager even helps in putting the products in shelves when he's not busy even if i think he should'nt have to.the hardest part of the job is sometimes while the stock persons are also putting products on the shelves so sometimes you have to wait for them to finish before you can do your job
Pros
fun environment to work to
Cons
short hours
Great Atmosphere
Seasonal Help - Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Fonthill, ON17 May 2017
LCBO was a great company to work for. Although I was only hired for seasonal help, once hired by the company it appeared as though there would be a great opportunity to advance and learn within the company.
Unfair company from the top but cashires are the best
NO ONE (Former Employee) –  DONT WORRY16 May 2017
Hello every one this company isnt any different than any other company, managers from walmart and superstores are trying to run like same where they came from. These managers get bounces for saving cut cost on staff and getting more work done from less employees. Thats why you get to see line ups like walmart. Managers get to go for meeting " goulf" clubs on the public funds and all the good food whenever there is a meetings. As an employee if you stand up for yourself, you would be transfer to different store. Dm and other upper people get to hire other contractors where they get cash under the counter to giving them the contract. Lcbo is a very wonderful company till you work for it and get to know the all the wicked uper managerment.
Great Place to work
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON16 May 2017
LCBO has awesome people to work with, great training, and they stay on top of testing your knowledge and keeping you up to date on on regulations. I loved working here!
fun tastings
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON16 May 2017
clean work place and safety standards met . Stocked shelves quip store in ready for business mode set up cash trays for cashiers payroll ,inventory counts , displaying proper marketing , received truck deliveries , did some instore tastings, accounts payable
Pros
Friendly team players great salary
Cons
standing for long periods at a time
Fast paced environment
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Pickering, ON13 May 2017
Excellent place to work. Awesome management and co-workers. Base pay for Fixed winter term was above minimum, If you like to keep busy then this is a great job. Shifts fly by.

Downside If you get asked to work Summer Fixed Term you need a criminal record check but if you have not lived in the region you are applying to work for, for the past 5years, you need to go back to where you previously lived to get a same day check OR get one online that costs $70. With no guarantee of employment after August 31st. Term Runs from about May 1st-August 31st. Must be available weekends. So It makes it hard to work a second job, so you have something after the term is completed.
Pros
Above min wage, fast paced environment, great managers and co workers
Cons
Almost impossible to get on as casual/part time with the union, and even if you get on as casual/part time you would NEED a second part time job
Negative experience
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON12 May 2017
If you enjoy an organizational culture stuck somewhere between the Dark Ages and early 1960s, individual store managers who vary to the same degree in behaviour as they do interpretation of the Bible-like Collective Bargaining Agreement, and where your voice is encouraged, so long as you say very little and don't talk too loud, then this is the place for you. Welcome aboard! Here's your cash. Stand there.
Pros
Union insulation
Cons
Dealing with crazy managers, lazy full-timers and nearly universal sense of individual entitlement.
Awesome
Customer Service representative- Contract (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON8 May 2017
I wish my time there was for more than just a seasonal contract. The other staff were great, loved the job. If you can stick it out long enough to get a full-time position, a great career.
Fast paced
General Labourer (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON5 May 2017
LCBO warehouse is a fast paced, friendly environment. Teamwork and individual dedication is extrewmely imortant here to meet deadlines and kkep up with the demand.
Excellent place to work - great staff and corporate culture
Solutions Architect (Consultant) (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON3 May 2017
Challenging environment with a broad variety of technologies deployed. Stimulating work environment and great support from management and executives on technology roadmap
Pros
On site cafeteria
good job
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON2 May 2017
Good secure job, hours vary on location and ranking. Management is nice but that also depends on location, but where I am they are pretty good. Union so job is secure for most part.
They don't want Smart people working there who will question their methods
CSR - Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  London Region25 April 2017
I don't understand how ANYONE could say this is a relaxing, good place to work
our hours have been slashed, with 11 years at the lcbo I get 4 and 6 hour shifts, to gain a 40 hour week we must work 7 days a week, they don't want full time employees, so again with 11 years I am still a casual employee, we work hurt, we work short staffed, we have NO sick days ,we get no managerial support, there is NO work - life balance...great place to work...I think not
Pros
they only pro to working her, we get to read the Food & Drink Magazine a week before the public does
Cons
no work - life balance, No sick days, short shifts, never a 40 hour week, work 7 days a week
Relaxed working environment!
ITSM Consultant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON21 April 2017
Generally, a good place to work. LCBO management provides relaxed working environment. However, being a govt institution chance of growth is very limited.
Ok for a summer job
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Mactier, ON20 April 2017
Fun job and work environment but the pay isn't great for the responsibility involved. I worked on contract as a summer student job and was forced to pay union dues which sucked because contract employees aren't even mentioned in the union manual (and therefore are probably not protected at all by the union.) Also, they DO NOT give references even if you do a fantastic job. Heard LCBO is good for full-time permanent hires.
Pros
Learning about and getting to test different beverages, meeting lots of people
Cons
Long hours standing, some heavy lifting, no references given for contract employees
hard on the back
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Pointe-au-baril-station, ON12 April 2017
Great place to pick up part time work, nice wage if you can pick up a close shift. the training is a bit boring unless you like drinking I guess. You could never be bored at work lots to do.
Pros
staff pick of week samples
Cons
Heavy lifting
Not the right place for me
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 April 2017
Working in an unionized environment is interesting and the collective agreement is currently being renegotiated. As a cashier, your job is easy. Not a lot of independent thinking required. New pay grid and advancement will make pay rises extremely challenging. As it is currently, it could take up to 10 years to get full time employment. There are no benefits for casual employees until they have 5 years of service. This job is secure but not challenging. There is a lot of product knowledge required which is how I've managed to say moderately invested in work. Scheduling is done based on seniority so expect to work every weekend and holiday for at least a year.
Pros
job security
Cons
hours, wages, opportunities for advancement
worst company ever!
Customer Service Representative (CSR) (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 April 2017
One of worst companies I have ever worked for. I don't even want to waste any more time talking about them. They are company that should probably be privatized and converted into a real company where management would most likely treat their people much better.
Generally a good atmosphere !
seasonal employee (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON8 April 2017
Good place to work in my limited experience. Fun staff. Will learn about liquor, wines and beer. Recommended. It's retail but a defined sector and there are opportunities for advancement.
pretty good
cashier (Former Employee) –  Rockland, ON7 April 2017
The hardest part of this job was the employees. No one was friendly and felt unwelcomed. The best typical day I had working at L.C.B.O was during the holidays! Epic! Line up was crazy people were in a rush, stressed, anxious and no patience but one customer at a time. Keep smiling :)
Many changes to the work place to being safer
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON7 April 2017
Ever since wine and beer came into the grocery stores to work place hasn't been great. If you're looking for a part-time job for little extra cash it's great but trying to make a career out of this takes too long. The wait time right now for full-time is about 14 years
Pros
Great part time job
Cons
Long wait for full time position

Ask a question about working or interviewing at LCBO. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval