LCBO

LCBO Canada Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Postivie
Cashier/Customer Service/Product Sampler (Current Employee), BramptonMarch 2, 2015
LCBO is an environment that allows you to meet various people, learn a lot about different products and build customer service skills.
Best Retail Job Ever!
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), Oakville, ONFebruary 19, 2015
Pros: a retail job without the retail pressure (sell, sell, sell!!!)
Cons: not all managers run their stores the same way
I work at one of the largest LCBO's in Ontario. Flagship stores are lucky to have what they have (1000’s of Vintage wines and collectable spirits, full kitchen for Chef’s demonstrations and a Tasting Bar holding 52 of the current vintage release wines to “try before you buy”), but every store has the basic tools you need to show management that you are willing, able and want to WORK!
I have worked for 2 different managers at my “home store”. One manager was hired "off the street" and their focus was on saving money. This was difficult as a "low on the ladder" employee; as my hours were slim to nil. I was on customer service (cash) a lot, and have no regrets or hard feelings about this. It has made me a better leader.
My second Manager has worked as a casual up to management. The focus in the store now is to get the job done no matter what the cost (ie. if we need tape, we get tape. If we need more cashiers, we call in cashiers).
This manager has been supportive in my career development. They recognise my strengths and help me overcome my weaknesses. It is thanks to this manager that I am now attending WSET classes, giving me the knowledge needed to progress into a Product Consultant position. (These are pricy classes to take and the costs will be reimbursed {if} I pass),
Yes all promotions are based off of seniority, however you need to apply no matter what your hiring date was, because like any other job application, you never know, you might be the only person applying and land the job. (I have seen this happen)
My overall experience with the LCBO has been amazing. Yes you – more... spend a lot of time on cash, especially when you first start. This is how you learn what is what in the store you are working in.
Take advantage of being next to a computer and learn about various products in the store, new and upcoming releases, or history of products (especially local wineries, breweries and distilleries). Customers like to know they are supporting the community, as many of these entrepreneurs wouldn’t be able to sell to such a vast clientele if the LCBO didn’t carry their products.
Take advantage of being the last face that your customers see before they leave the store. Give them tips on mixing drinks, recommend new or alternative products, remember who they are and what they like and you WILL have a following of people who want YOU (not a consultant) to help them.
Seasonal's are hired on to run the cash desks for the reason that we need our regular casual staff on the floor assisting customers. As a casual employee, I rely on the help that our team of Seasonal workers offer. They are always excellent support and free up our work load so we can better assist our customers by keeping shelves fully stocked and providing more one on one customer service.
I have read so many negative reviews about what it’s like to work for the LCBO, and it saddens me that these employees are not satisfied with their work. I remember what it’s like to work for “other” retail companies. I proudly tell people daily that I traded in my high heel shoes for steel toes and I will never go back. The LCBO has offered me challenging tasks, even at cash, and I am proud to be one of a large team that takes its Social Responsibility seriously.
I am known as the “happy cashier” to many of our customers, and am often asked “why are you so happy ALL the time”? My answer is simple: I work at the Liquor Store.
Why wouldn’t I be happy? I’m paid better than I was as a Manager in the retail industry, my job is challenging (on slow days I make up my own challenges) and I work with wonderful people (even if we don’t always agree with each other).
If you work for the Board and are not satisfied, call other stores and see what you can learn from other employees. Transfers, Continuing Education and On the Job Training are available to EVERYONE. You just have to have passion. (It’s all in YOUR attitude towards the job)
Thank you for spending the time to read this lengthy review. – less
Lcbo
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Ancaster, ONFebruary 9, 2015
Pros: great place to work
Cons: always on your feet
During my time at the LCBO Ancaster, i learned a lot of things abut the product and helping the customer to the best of your ability. Managers would give us the necessary training and help that we needed to succed in the workplace. A typical day at work would include of, stocking the product and helping the customers when they need it. Helping customers may include: helping a customer find a product, helping a customer carry their purchase to their car and also if a spill or breakage occurs clean it up and make sure you put out the caution signs. Further more, the most enjoyable part of the job is helping out the customer find what they are looking for. As for the hardest part of the job, i would have to say knowing all the different types of wine and alchohol and where they are located in the store.
Professional, organized and safe workplace
CSR/Fixed Term (Former Employee), Bowmanville, ONJanuary 25, 2015
Shift schedules and duties were organized.
Management and fellow staff are easy to get along with and mesh well as a team.
Working at one of the busiest times of the year is and exciting experience.
All co-workers are friendly and easy to work with and all willing to help each other out.
Seasonal
Seasonal help for Christmas (Former Employee), Hamilton, OnJanuary 6, 2015
Pros: the pay was good
Cons: the job was made for mindless people, just constantly ringing in cutstomers
I was strictly a cashier for seasonal work
I also did cleaning
Inventory at the end of the night
Counting Cash at end of shift and balancing till
Fun, Hard Work.
Winter Fixed Term (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJanuary 6, 2015
Working in a busy fast paced environment is a lot of fun but it is hard work. The holiday season was always busy. I learned how to interact with customers on a personal level. Through conversation, getting to know the type of products they liked and what regions their products come from.
Sales Rep
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), OshawaDecember 16, 2014
I enjoyed the job the staff was very friendly. Excellent training.
Boring, repetitive job
Customer Service Associate (Current Employee), Oshawa, ONNovember 30, 2014
A typical day at work is standing at a cash register for hours on end with the occasion break to stock shelves. Very little chance for advancement or learning opportunities. I work with people who have 16+ years on the job and they are still considered "casual".
great pay and benefits, but difficult to advance
Acting Manager, Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), Windsor, ONNovember 7, 2014
stock and cash
many managers are hired from outside the LCBO and lack management skills
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Oakville, ONNovember 4, 2014
Pros: work around my school schedule
Cons: low wage
was a part time job for me while at university. decent hours, good people to work for.
Stressful environment
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), Toronto, ONNovember 3, 2014
Pros: exams to give you product knowledge
No hours for the first 3 years, no benefits and it takes about 20 years to be promoted to full time.

Lots of heavy lifting, standing and repetitive movement.
depends on the day productive some and other not so
Labourer (Former Employee), Oshawa, ONOctober 23, 2014
Pros: knowing what new booze was coming through other then that nothing
a normal day at works held lots of laughs and got alot done alot of work some times to much . i learned how to tie a new knot . management was a joke most of the time. co workers were awesome got along great with everyone . the hardest part was a place called jack pot were the overflow of the shipping lines went and it was usually full cause there was always to much work and not enough ppl . most enjoyable part was lunch and when i got a nice easy line to my self .
customer service rep
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), Mississauga, ONSeptember 27, 2014
I love working for the LCBO because I love to deal with the public and I try my best to find what they are looking for. I am a team player and a go getter.
Not for everyone
Customer Service Representative/Cashier (Former Employee), Toronto, ONSeptember 22, 2014
Pros: flexible schedule, very laidback
Cons: limited hours, limited consistency
The LCBO can be ver frustrating for anyone who is interested in the wine and spirits industry, job advancement is really hard because of seniority. Learning to work with difficult team memebrs is a good skill to have, but it can be extremely frustrating when you're on the clock
Customer Service
Seasonal Help (Former Employee), NewmarketSeptember 21, 2014
Pros: time flys by when it is the festive season
Cons: the shifts when it wasn't busy
Working contract for the Lcbo is not only challenging, but satisfying, as a cashier, l had the opportunity to learn about different types of alcohol, and pairing of the wine and spirits. However what made the job one to remember is the customers needs and challenges they brought forward at the time of year being Christmas, with food pairing and gift purchasing. I not only enjoyed the customers and needs, but my colleagues who made coming into work a memorable one. We were like family in Newmarket and with the new store here in Newmarket, l still see my fellow employees.

I remember at Christmas eve and New years eve, with 30 people deep in my line, how enjoyable it was to keep not only my customer happy at my desk, but those in line awaiting to be served, and keeping the customer happy and of course their time waiting brief.

I have accumulated many stories working here, especially the mom asking the young son what energy drinks were mixed with, and he pretending he had no idea, as he winked at me, as we both new he had! The breakfast club, who would try to get in more then a few times a day, so as you can see their was never a dull moment. My experience as the LCBO is one l miss. Cheers
productive and enjoyable working with lobo
Merchandising & Stock (Former Employee), 195 donway westJuly 25, 2014
Pros: flexible
Cons: no cons
grate experience enjoyed working with different people. respect and help you.
seniority based environment, any/all advancement based on seniority
Customer Service (Current Employee), GTAJuly 16, 2014
Pros: hourly wage is very good for retail position
Cons: limited work hours as scheduling is based upon seniority
Good secondary job. Very physical work. No other information to add regarding this position. It is a retail job dealing with the public. Crown Corporation.
Fun and Productive workeplace
Seasonal Worker (Former Employee), Georgetown, OntarioJune 30, 2014
Pros: wine tasting
Cons: very long lines
I was working Seasonal at the LCBO and since then, I have not found one job that can compare to the experiences I had there. I might have only been a Cashier but the staff and management made me feel like a valued member of the team.

Working in the Christmas season, every day was very busy and you had very little room for error. Returns and gift card exchanges were the hardest part for me to master, but its something that every cashier job will have.

I come from working in factory environments where talking is frowned upon. So working as a Cashier and talking to people, even if it is general questions over and over again, it turned out to be the most enjoyable part of my job.

I encourage people to try and get into the LCBO as they are a very good company to work in. I have been trying to get back in myself.
great place to work at and very productive.
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), Markham, ONJune 17, 2014
Each day is a fun filled day with customers from all different backgrounds. The Co workers are great and easy to get along with. I wouldn't really say there is a hard part of the job except for standing for at least 5 hours. Overall the experience is great.
LCBO
Retail Service Clerk (Former Employee), Hearst, ONMay 25, 2014
Pros: management
Cons: intoxaciated customers/ financial insecurity
Customer friendly environment.
A Mnagement team that showed professionalism and guidance.

1 2 3 4

About LCBO

The Liquor Control Board of Ontario (LCBO) is a provincial Crown corporation in Ontario, Canada. It is accountable to the Ministry – Read more