Laurier Optical Employee Reviews

professional and great work place
Laboratory technician (Current Employee) –  aylmer quebecAugust 12, 2016
you get to serve clients with different needs so it's always a challenge to find the perfect pair of glasses for them. The co-workers are fun and its always a good experience to interact with clients. the hardest part of the job is to get everything structured from finishing a clients file to analyze there lenses then bring them in the pretest room then get them to the doctor then finally try and sell them a pair of glasses while clients keep coming in.
Pros
experience
Cons
sit all day
Productive workplace, with great teamwork
Sub-Contractor (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJuly 11, 2016
The nights we have worked overnight, it went better than expected because of the team we had working. Their is no I in team and it would be impossible to renovate a store by yourself. When renovating a store in a mall, along comes a lot of rules and regulations that need to be followed. And the team we had, certainly did that with no problems.
An absolute nightmare
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJune 2, 2016
If you like being screamed at, demeaned, discriminated against, and berated for poor performance when you're provided no training whatsoever yet expected to excel, and you're a big fan of micro-management in a psycholigically toxic work environment that's full of mistrust, mistruths and misinformation, then this is the perfect job for you. Otherwise, run away and never look back.
Pros
Will hire anyone
Cons
Too many to list
just don't bother
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Kanata, ONMay 6, 2016
what others are saying about this place been useless is true they don't care about you and don't provide coaching to correct when they feel u not doing what they want u to do.
I invested my time to really learn the wrk just to had been fired for no reason.
Pros
paid lunch break
Cons
management
Sad, dishonest place to work
clinic/sales (Former Employee) –  Kanata, ONJanuary 2, 2016
Family owned, and poorly managed.
Dishonest
I was dismissed without reason, long after my 3 month probation period
Untrustworthy.
Great since day one.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  OttawaOctober 2, 2015
Enjoying working here since my first day. There is awesome coworkers, always someone ready to give you a hand if needed.
Pros
Great coworkers
Cons
Short-staffed
positive and a friendly atmosphere with different cultures and backgrounds
Assistant-Manager (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONSeptember 18, 2015
I have been a manager for 5 years, and an assistant manager for 2 years of my career. I have supervised at least 15 staff members at my job, and the hardest part of the job was when I had to get rid of specific employees what were not suitable for the company. The most enjoyable part of the job was growing as a team in order to reach our company's goal.
Pros
access to technology in order to help clients faster
Cons
did not have a backup system for patient reports
friendly but dis-orginized
Clinic secretary Ottawa (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONAugust 11, 2015
Although I enjoyed my position while I was there where many things that contributed to my leaving this position interacting with customers and patients
Cons
not being paid on time or properly
Regional Manager (Current Employee) –  MontrealJune 29, 2015
Good company, fun to work in. I am enjoying my time and work in it. Decent amount of red tape and politics but this is expected of a big company.
Run away.
REGIONAL MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONApril 24, 2015
Guilt trips, Emotional upper management, no raises, no overtime, communist toxic environment, if you survive the never ending rotating door, you get tossed around 16 different locations with barely any notice, you basically owe your life, professional and personal to this company.

No training, you have to learn to swim on your own, the only enjoyable part of the job is your co-workers who band together in support of you finding another job.

Please save your self, look elsewhere.
Pros
Cons
Everything you can think of.
Horrible company to work for!!!
Manager (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMarch 7, 2015
Beware of this company!

Improper training. They make it so you don't succeed.
This company has a very high turnover rate.
Treat you with no respect.
Higher management is a joke! Never organized, lies, transfers employees constantly.

If you don't perform to higher management expectation, they will transfer you to a further location as a punishment.

Some emplyees have gotten transfered up to 16 times in a year.

Long hours no overtime pay.
Couldn't take a lunch break as there's no one to cover you.
Pros
Cons
No overtime, horrible pay, long hours, no benefits
great employment
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ONAugust 26, 2014
great place to work with friendly management. worked directly with dr and also in the dispensing area
Welcome to Laurier Optical !
Sales (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMay 29, 2014
Welcome.

no pay for overtime; cutting stat holiday pays by using some internet clock-intricks, bad management, guilt trip, top management is emotional; no respect
Pros
easy to be hired, 30 minutes lunch break
Cons
no pay for overtime, cutting stat holiday pays by using some tricks, bad management, guilt trip, top management is emotional
!!!!!!
Sales Assoc. (Former Employee) –  OntarioMarch 20, 2014
There's always something going on. The management team is a mess. If your smart you wont get cozy in your position; because chances are great that you will be transferred to another location. (It's not an option; so don't waste time trying to fight the transfer).
One moment your in the companies "good books" & you are amazing. The next moment; you let them down, your demoted, your no longer in the company good books. A lot of long term employees resign due to the constant turnaround in head office, management, as well as employees.
Pros
friendly staff on the sales level; good doctors
Cons
stress stress stress.
Terrible Company to Work For
Sales/Frames department (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONFebruary 24, 2014
You will be hired at a low wage, with no benefits, if you want benefits you have to pay into them and they are not typically worth it. Management is the problem with this company, it is awful. They move you from position to position without asking, and they never give you a chance to settle and do a job well. If by chance management likes you, the boss will move you to other problem areas and expect you to succeed again, if you do not it is entirely your fault and you have failed the company. Loyalty is never rewarded.
Pros
they will hire you guaranteed because of high turnover
Cons
most people get fired fast, those who survive are constantly looking for other jobs, terrible management, bad salary
Beware of this company!!
Manager (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMay 17, 2013
They will use you to do whatever outside of your job, from construction work to delivery. Often keep you working overtime without pay. Terminate you before the 3 month probation so they don't have to pay you benefit. Upper management is a big mess. It's a family own business and you should always expect their drama. The company's focus is its franchising business instead of optical goods. They will often blame you or guilt trip you for things that you're not responsible, nor even heard of, just to prolong their payment term with suppliers or satisfy their franchises.
Pros
jobs are easy
Cons
no overtime pay, no structure, family drama, guilt trip
Efficient and High pace work environment in the Frame retail environment
Supply Chain Analyst, Inventory (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJanuary 25, 2013
• Monitored, managed and analyzed data of inventory levels to achieve inventory turn objectives.
• Managed, analyzed, and maintained data of existing supplier relationships with a fo-cus on service level and cost reductions.
• Record all stock movement and deliveries in database and prepare regular reports
• Identify and analyze customer’s needs to provide professional solution upon request
• Addressed day-to-day challenges of supplier deliveries to plants.
• Simplified practices, increased productivity and reduced costs and liability through attentive support services.
• Extracted data from system tools such as SAP for reporting and analysis.
• Using Microsoft Excel, Access, Outlook, and other office tools to create and provide operational reports to the senior management
Pros
30 mins free lunch break, co workers are friendly
Cons
long hours, top managements are lack of structure
I feel that laurier is a good place to work and a great stepping stone to my future.
Receptionist/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Kanata, ONDecember 4, 2012
I work as a Receptionist at Laurier as well as a Sales Representative , I deal with the public daily and feel that I am a very approachable and easy going individual ,I deal with conflict with customers and know that I can handle every situation with respect and Dignity.The people I work with and the customers and patients on the most part make my job easy , I love dealing with people so this job is good for my personality.
Pros
i work with a great bunch of people and deal with the public daily
Cons
pay is not he best

2.4