Laurier Optical Employee Reviews

Very exciting opportunity
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON30 May 2017
I enjoyed working with my staff at Laurier Optical. The head office staff were always helpful and it was a pleaurse to deal with them. I also enjoyed my interaction with our main supplier of lenses.
It was quite an eye-opener to work for a leading chain of Opticals in and around Ottawa
Book Keeper (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON2 March 2017
The working atmosphere was just about ok . The hardest part was to cope with the whims of the CEO but it was a rewarding experience to work under their Finance Manager
Always exciting!
Manager (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON11 November 2016
Laurier Optical is a family oriented company and will work with anyone to help them grow as an individual and employee. Focused on building customer service at a great price. Management will work with you to achieve your goals and continuously move up within the company.
Pros
Many store locations, friendly coworkers, professional environment as it is retail mixed with medical
Productive and fun place
Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON10 November 2016
Everyday is a different day with meeting new people and providing great customer service. Always fun to go and work with new challenges .
I learned a lot there how to overcome objections and especially how to react .
Belleville Review
Sales Associate/Opticican (Current Employee) –  Belleville, ON8 November 2016
Obviously many of the previous reviews have not had the pleasure of working in the Belleville location. I have worked for Laurier Optical for the last 16 years and have been treated with nothing but courtesy and respect. The working environment in the Belleville location is and has been nothing but enjoyable hence 16 years of employment. I would recommend employment in this location to any potential candidate. Staff, management and customers are always a pleasure.
professional and great work place
Laboratory technician (Current Employee) –  aylmer quebec12 August 2016
you get to serve clients with different needs so it's always a challenge to find the perfect pair of glasses for them. The co-workers are fun and its always a good experience to interact with clients. the hardest part of the job is to get everything structured from finishing a clients file to analyze there lenses then bring them in the pretest room then get them to the doctor then finally try and sell them a pair of glasses while clients keep coming in.
Pros
experience
Cons
sit all day
Awful workplace and management
Sales Associate & Medical Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON9 August 2016
The best part of this job was the people I worked with. The CEO is a psychopath and there is no job security. Employees are constantly threatened and transferred around to different locations. Extremely unprofessional work environment.
Pros
Co-workers
Cons
Management, salary
Productive workplace, with great teamwork
Sub-Contractor (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON11 July 2016
The nights we have worked overnight, it went better than expected because of the team we had working. Their is no I in team and it would be impossible to renovate a store by yourself. When renovating a store in a mall, along comes a lot of rules and regulations that need to be followed. And the team we had, certainly did that with no problems.
An absolute nightmare
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON2 June 2016
If you like being screamed at, demeaned, discriminated against, and berated for poor performance when you're provided no training whatsoever yet expected to excel, and you're a big fan of micro-management in a psycholigically toxic work environment that's full of mistrust, mistruths and misinformation, then this is the perfect job for you. Otherwise, run away and never look back.
Pros
Will hire anyone
Cons
Too many to list
just don't bother
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Kanata, ON6 May 2016
what others are saying about this place been useless is true they don't care about you and don't provide coaching to correct when they feel u not doing what they want u to do.
I invested my time to really learn the wrk just to had been fired for no reason.
Pros
paid lunch break
Cons
management
Sad, dishonest place to work
clinic/sales (Former Employee) –  Kanata, ON2 January 2016
Family owned, and poorly managed.
Dishonest
I was dismissed without reason, long after my 3 month probation period
Untrustworthy.
Great since day one.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Ottawa2 October 2015
Enjoying working here since my first day. There is awesome coworkers, always someone ready to give you a hand if needed.
Pros
Great coworkers
Cons
Short-staffed
positive and a friendly atmosphere with different cultures and backgrounds
Assistant-Manager (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON18 September 2015
I have been a manager for 5 years, and an assistant manager for 2 years of my career. I have supervised at least 15 staff members at my job, and the hardest part of the job was when I had to get rid of specific employees what were not suitable for the company. The most enjoyable part of the job was growing as a team in order to reach our company's goal.
Pros
access to technology in order to help clients faster
Cons
did not have a backup system for patient reports
friendly but dis-orginized
Clinic secretary Ottawa (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON11 August 2015
Although I enjoyed my position while I was there where many things that contributed to my leaving this position interacting with customers and patients
Cons
not being paid on time or properly
Regional Manager (Current Employee) –  Montreal29 June 2015
Good company, fun to work in. I am enjoying my time and work in it. Decent amount of red tape and politics but this is expected of a big company.
Run away.
REGIONAL MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON24 April 2015
Guilt trips, Emotional upper management, no raises, no overtime, communist toxic environment, if you survive the never ending rotating door, you get tossed around 16 different locations with barely any notice, you basically owe your life, professional and personal to this company.

No training, you have to learn to swim on your own, the only enjoyable part of the job is your co-workers who band together in support of you finding another job.

Please save your self, look elsewhere.
Pros
Cons
Everything you can think of.
Horrible company to work for!!!
Manager (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON7 March 2015
Beware of this company!

Improper training. They make it so you don't succeed.
This company has a very high turnover rate.
Treat you with no respect.
Higher management is a joke! Never organized, lies, transfers employees constantly.

If you don't perform to higher management expectation, they will transfer you to a further location as a punishment.

Some emplyees have gotten transfered up to 16 times in a year.

Long hours no overtime pay.
Couldn't take a lunch break as there's no one to cover you.
Pros
Cons
No overtime, horrible pay, long hours, no benefits
great employment
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON26 August 2014
great place to work with friendly management. worked directly with dr and also in the dispensing area
Welcome to Laurier Optical !
Sales (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON29 May 2014
Welcome.

no pay for overtime; cutting stat holiday pays by using some internet clock-intricks, bad management, guilt trip, top management is emotional; no respect
Pros
easy to be hired, 30 minutes lunch break
Cons
no pay for overtime, cutting stat holiday pays by using some tricks, bad management, guilt trip, top management is emotional
!!!!!!
Sales Assoc. (Former Employee) –  Ontario20 March 2014
There's always something going on. The management team is a mess. If your smart you wont get cozy in your position; because chances are great that you will be transferred to another location. (It's not an option; so don't waste time trying to fight the transfer).
One moment your in the companies "good books" & you are amazing. The next moment; you let them down, your demoted, your no longer in the company good books. A lot of long term employees resign due to the constant turnaround in head office, management, as well as employees.
Pros
Friendly staff on the sales level; good Doctors
Cons
Stress stress stress.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Laurier Optical. Our community is ready to answer.

2.6