Laurentian University Employee Reviews

Graduate Teaching Assistant
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sudbury13 June 2016
Maximum work capped out at 10 hours per week with a fixed salary that isn't enough to support a full time grad student. The work itself depends on your supervisor (mine was fantastic). Generally the work involves marking exams, but my work involved doing research for a government study and giving presentations about my research.
Pros
Work when you want
Cons
Short hours
Enjoyable and friendly work environment
Student Center Programmer (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON29 April 2016
Working at Laurentian taught me how to provide effective, efficient and above all else kind costumer service. During a typical day I was seated behind a desk where I would provide a variety of services for staff and students. The job was fairly simple, but difficult when it came time to execute larger events. Although I enjoyed planning events, it became difficult as time constraint became a factor and coordinating with others could prove challenging. My direct manager was very kind and a friendly person who I would like to work for again.
Good Student Workplace
Customer and Facility Service (Current Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON12 April 2016
Good place for current students to work. It offers flexible hours that work around your class schedule. It does lack organization from management due to a lack of communication with employees.
Pros
Flexible Hours
Cons
Lack of Management
Accessibility Dept Inviglator
Invigilator (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON22 August 2016
It was a great place to work. The staff was helpful. Hours were great. I made a lot of new and lasting friendships. I loved that I was able to help students with disabilities.
Productive and Fun WorkPlace
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON13 March 2016
Great room for growth. Co-workers are very helpful. Management are attentive and understanding. Learned to be an effective leader and time management skills.
The project was outstanding and the team was fantastic. I do not have the words to explain the talent and staff on such a great project.
Administrative Assistant (Contract) (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON3 November 2015
Working so closely with different government agencies has given me knowledge and understanding in the pay subsidy programs that are available. The team worked so well together it was so easy to do your job and help in various other positions when required. It was a relaxed environment but attention to detail was required and co-workers and management where outstanding.
Pros
Working with such outstanding management and staff
Cons
That the position had to end
We do have fun at work
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON13 March 2016
In fact, we usually welcome other students from high schools and colleges for different events. These activities are always fun because we get to meet students who may be coming to Laurentian the following years and I personally learn a lot about the education system in Canada. What I like best about the events is that there are free food for students and us. We get to share meals with them sometimes. In my opinion, this is a great experience.
Pros
Definitely
Cons
Sometimes
Excellent summer job
Custodian (Former Employee) –  NCS25 April 2016
Overall excellent job for summer employment as a student. Full time, reasonable hours, learning to clean residences with an excellent team.
Productive and fun atmosphere with good team spirit
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON29 November 2015
Short and manageable shifts at the end of a busy school day. Time went by quickly and help was always readily available. Most enjoyable part was getting a donation to further the needs of the school.
Pros
Fairly relaxed work atmosphere
Cons
Reduction of work during school breaks
Outstanding Employer with Educational Benefits
Retired - Secretary, Contact (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON1 May 2014
Laurentian University provides job opportunities to the Sudbury community and without doubt compliments everyone's future opportunities offering education free to those employed. Best benefits, outstanding training programs, room for growth, and most of all the diversified population of the university means everyone can find a place to fit in.
Pros
Meeting Individuals from Around the World
Cons
Must be professional to provide high quality service to the university population
productive and supportive work environment.
Research assistant (Current Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON26 May 2014
management is very supportive.
Learned how to work in group, as a leader for a project and how to meet deadlines.
Learned to follow schedule by arrange meetings every week
hardest part of job is multitask and which i like to do, so its not hard for me
Most enjoyable part is to design various structures and programming to create innovative designs
Finite element modelling to analyze various structures.
Pros
Supportive and motivational environment
Cons
appreciation of work
Alongside my studies I have been involved in teaching at Laurentian University as a lab supervisor for Physics I & II and marking assignments, where I
TA (Current Employee) –  513 Fraser Hall, Laurentian University14 October 2015
Alongside my studies I have been involved in teaching at
Laurentian University as a lab supervisor for Physics I & II and marking assignments, where I became more confident in my abilities to be an effective teaching assistant.
Teaching was exciting though resources for teaching were sometimes scarce.
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON7 June 2015
A day begun with lectures after which questions were solicited from students.I was also available for supervising students projects.The hardest thing was when I didn't have the needed chemicals to undertake some of the practical work.
I felt very glad when my students obtained very good grades.
Pros
Students were adults and were of good behavior most of the time thus enhancing academic work.
Cons
Lack of resources for effective teaching and learning was the main headache.
Student oriented, Mental health issues
Bursary Coordinator, Accessibility Services Dept (Current Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON7 July 2015
There was this student who was scheduled to see her counsellor and got stressed out after knowing that she is not there started crying. I reached her and handled her such a way that made her relax. this made me think that I can handle crisis in a gentle way.
Pros
Flexible working hours
Cons
Needs to be careful about breaks
I enjoyed it for sometime but eventually grew tired of it.
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON15 October 2014
A typical day for me was doing my work as well as my coworkers which had nothing to do with me. I learned that the more you know the more they want you to do, the better worker you are the more you are taken advantage of. When you work in a group there are always coworkers that are nice to your face but not so nice behind your back. The hardest part of my job was doing more than I should of been doing for the same wage as some of my coworkers that I had to do some of their work for. Being able to chat with some of the clients that I had gotten to know well over the years.
Pros
Working by myself
Cons
Doing too much of other peoples work for the same pay as them.
Teaching assistant
Teaching assistant & Private Tutor (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON14 April 2013
Assisted college students in understanding concepts and preparing for exams in their Financial Accounting 1&2 class.
Prepared weekly lesson plans to help students prepare for their freshman FA course.
Taught essential aspects of writing a company analysis essay; how to research company information, create an appropriate accounting statement, etc.
Assisted teacher in marking examination papers and answering questions about it.
Pros
good income
Cleaning classrooms and bathrooms
Janitor (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON29 July 2013
When I first worked here everyone was nice but towards the end, my boss was harder on me, but I loved to clean and keep myself busy and that is the only reason a stayed plus I learned how to clean properly with the right chemicals. The only thing i didn't like about my job it , that it was graveyard so the hours were hard on me but I eventually got used to it.
Great part time summer student job
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON11 February 2015
Great part time summer student job. Would like to return if I am back in Canada in the summer. Enjoyed the other staff and work environment.
Great learning experience and knowledge gained
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON13 May 2014
Assess my time wisely
Organize many files and themes
Constructive feedback given and received
Prompt, swift and reliable delivery of articles, data and various information
Pros
experience
Cons
hard on vision, staring at computer prolonged periods
Great Placement
Nursing Student (Current Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON12 April 2014
I thoroughly enjoy the placements Laurentian has offered me throughout my education. Nursing is an amazing profession and Laurentian is providing hands-on experience to better prepare the students.

4.2