Laurentian University Employee Reviews

Challenging
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON22 September 2017
My experience with Laurentian University was challenging. Working at a satellite office, we were often forgot about so employees were left to manage on their own. I suspect it would be a different experience on the main campus.
Good workplace
Tour Guide, Library Employee (Former Employee) –  Sudbury, ON30 August 2017
I worked at Laurentian University for 5 years under different jobs, had a good experience, accommodating with school, salary good for a student, does not demean student employees as some public jobs do. Highly recommend working there.
Average University
Human Resources Department, File Clerk (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON16 June 2017
Great for parties not so great for higher education
Came away with a degree but not a useful one
if you need a school to go to that you can party at more than your need to go to class this is it
Kind Workers
Student Ambassador (Current Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON7 June 2017
Very kind people, eager to teach anyone anything they need to know. Fairly patient staff while able to keep to a schedule and complete tasks and events in an orderly fashion. Great work community.
Pros
Flexible hours
Fun workplace
Lead exam Manager (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON1 June 2017
Managing exams and being in charge of staff and students during exam periods. Dropping off exams and returning them at the end of each exam session back to specific departments.
Exactly as Advertised
Database Entry Clerk (Former Employee) –  Sudbury, ON8 May 2017
The job was exactly what I expect. It was data entry for the university advancement department in the alumni department. The job was simple, repetitive, and tedious. The community was welcoming and enjoyable but the work itself was deadening.
Pros
Great Community
Cons
Painfully Boring and Repetitive
Intramurals Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON25 April 2017
Laurentian is a really wonderful place to work as a student and get some extra income. Everyone is friendly and people are willing to support you and help you learn new things.
Fun, rewarding
Peer Mentor (Current Employee) –  Sudbury, ON26 February 2017
Being a part of the residence staff is a very demanding position, it entails many responsibilities, some of which are, to create a comfortable environment where students of all ages and educational status can live. Among these responsibilities, I believe that the most pivotal role of the residence staff is to act as a pillar for the safe and welcoming community that is residence life. Without the dedicated staff that work tirelessly to harbour this safe and committed environment the atmosphere would be much different
Decent job, hard work.
Housekeeper/Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON19 February 2017
A typical day at work was decent. The day was spent cleaning various dorms/apartments. Depending on the building, we would sometimes work without air-conditioning, though we always had a couple of fans running to help us cool down. The breaks and lunch-breaks were good. The people are friendly and easy to work with. I'd say the hardest part of the job was working in a non-air-conditioned building on a really hot day. The most enjoyable part of the job would have been working all day on a single room.
Pros
Good people, relaxing working environment, exercise
Cons
Slightly long hours, the heat
Great place to work!
Traditional Resource Program Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON4 December 2016
Enjoy working with the Elders and work on a great team. I am always learning something new every day! The Elders are a hoot to work with, lots of humour and great workshops.
Pros
great hours!
Very friendly enviroment
Porter/Residence Security (Current Employee) –  Sudbury, ON27 September 2016
A typical day at work is me sitting at the front desk and coordinating with the other staff on shift to ensure the safety of the residents in the complex. I do 1-2 sets of rounds of the complex during my shift to ensure the building is secure, that the residents are safe, and ensuring that the building is not damaged.

In this position I've learned a lot of patience when dealing with drunk students and I also learned how to be stern in a way that a drunk person can understand and respect. I've dealt with many situations in the years I've been employed and they have all shaped me into who I am today and the way that I deal with situations.

My co-workers are all good individuals who want to do their best and learn from their experiences before the graduate. Most of my co-workers are students at the University.

The hardest part of the job is dealing with students that are in Mental Health Crisis, meaning they want to self harm. I've dealt with many over the years and it is never an easy situation.

The most enjoyable part of the job is knowing that I have helped many students and am still able to help students if and when they need help.
Pros
Paid Christmas vacation
Cons
No possibility for improvement
Accessibility Dept Inviglator
Invigilator (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON22 August 2016
It was a great place to work. The staff was helpful. Hours were great. I made a lot of new and lasting friendships. I loved that I was able to help students with disabilities.
Graduate Teaching Assistant
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sudbury13 June 2016
Maximum work capped out at 10 hours per week with a fixed salary that isn't enough to support a full time grad student. The work itself depends on your supervisor (mine was fantastic). Generally the work involves marking exams, but my work involved doing research for a government study and giving presentations about my research.
Pros
Work when you want
Cons
Short hours
Enjoyable and friendly work environment
Student Center Programmer (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON29 April 2016
Working at Laurentian taught me how to provide effective, efficient and above all else kind costumer service. During a typical day I was seated behind a desk where I would provide a variety of services for staff and students. The job was fairly simple, but difficult when it came time to execute larger events. Although I enjoyed planning events, it became difficult as time constraint became a factor and coordinating with others could prove challenging. My direct manager was very kind and a friendly person who I would like to work for again.
Excellent summer job
Custodian (Former Employee) –  NCS25 April 2016
Overall excellent job for summer employment as a student. Full time, reasonable hours, learning to clean residences with an excellent team.
Good Student Workplace
Customer and Facility Service (Current Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON12 April 2016
Good place for current students to work. It offers flexible hours that work around your class schedule. It does lack organization from management due to a lack of communication with employees.
Pros
Flexible Hours
Cons
Lack of Management
Productive and Fun WorkPlace
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON13 March 2016
Great room for growth. Co-workers are very helpful. Management are attentive and understanding. Learned to be an effective leader and time management skills.
We do have fun at work
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON13 March 2016
In fact, we usually welcome other students from high schools and colleges for different events. These activities are always fun because we get to meet students who may be coming to Laurentian the following years and I personally learn a lot about the education system in Canada. What I like best about the events is that there are free food for students and us. We get to share meals with them sometimes. In my opinion, this is a great experience.
Pros
Definitely
Cons
Sometimes
Productive and fun atmosphere with good team spirit
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON29 November 2015
Short and manageable shifts at the end of a busy school day. Time went by quickly and help was always readily available. Most enjoyable part was getting a donation to further the needs of the school.
Pros
Fairly relaxed work atmosphere
Cons
Reduction of work during school breaks
The project was outstanding and the team was fantastic. I do not have the words to explain the talent and staff on such a great project.
Administrative Assistant (Contract) (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON3 November 2015
Working so closely with different government agencies has given me knowledge and understanding in the pay subsidy programs that are available. The team worked so well together it was so easy to do your job and help in various other positions when required. It was a relaxed environment but attention to detail was required and co-workers and management where outstanding.
Pros
Working with such outstanding management and staff
Cons
That the position had to end