Laura Secord Employee Reviews

Was good for learning experience
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ON27 November 2017
I learned a lot at this job - my coworkers are awesome and i liked how you got promoted very quickly if you worked hard enough. Just wanted a change and had to prepare for college.
Not the greatest management
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON19 October 2017
The work environment was very relaxed, not a busy location so we didn't have crazy business. Management was not the greatest, not very professional at the time that I worked there (2014-2016) but my coworkers and the customers made it worthwhile.
Pros
Store Discount
Cons
Lots of down time
My Chocolate Heavan
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC2 October 2017
You definitely make friends with you work in the wonderful chocolate world of Laura Secord. My first job back in Montreal, as the assistant manager I was an apprentice to the manager in the busiest store of the chain, but spent a lot of time on the floor with our staff and customers. I spent most of my time at the two business stores of the chain, where I learnt first hand what the retail world was like.

I introduced tools in both stores to help manage certain results and motivate the team by simplifying certain tasks, and certain tools of mine were implemented company wide.
A welcoming workspace
Key Holder/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON26 September 2017
I had a generally decent experience working here, the management was very accommodating. The overall environment was very positive. The only downside was the evening shifts tended to feel slow and lonely, as there was only one person working evenings, except for the Christmas and Easter seasons.
Hours ... Managment ... Coworkers
Key Holder/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON9 September 2017
Hours are long and you will be working alone. When it's rush hour, you'll have customers wanting ice cream and then others making boxes of chocolate and others explaining products and promotions. All for one person alone. I only had one coworker who was very noisy and lazy. Always up my a**. Managment always talking low on employees and when a employee would do something wrong, they never go directly to you but always talking among others.
Pros
50% during christmas
Fun atmosphere
CSR - Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Ajax, ON17 July 2017
As this location was a "combo" store which means we partnered with Hallmark, constant clean up of cards, rearranging shelves, taking inventory, setting up chocolate according to company guidelines, and assisting customers. The hardest part of the job was during special occasions....Easter, valentines etc. Crazy in store but fun at the same time. the most enjoyable part of the job was dealing with customers. Most people are very nice. Occasionally, a difficult situation would arise and most times remedied amicably.
Pros
Woring with a great bunch of people
Cons
working night shifts and weekends.
What you'd expect from a retail job
Key Holder/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON20 June 2017
Manager was always kind and understanding of worker needs. Tends to be slow paced until the holidays come about; things become stressful around Christmas time and Valentines.
Good for the flexible and keen
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Bayview Village, ON15 June 2017
great job to learn basic skills, cash handling, if you move up to management say goodbye to social life, there are minimal bonuses for maximum effort especially during the peak holiday seasons, managers can make or break you in this environment - I've had a taste of the great and the worst of managers, job culture is what you as a team make of it there are minimal efforts from corporate to improve this
Pros
fast paced, good experience
Cons
repetitive, very little room for growth
An interesting few months
Key Holder/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Fredericton, NB1 June 2017
The company struggles with employment. This causes a great number of hours to be deployed on one or two people in the store. All other employees receive a little to no hours. The Company cannot afford financially to fix this problem.
Good First Job
CUSTOMER SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  London, ON17 May 2017
Good working environment
Fun and motivated
What's more fun than serving kids ice cream and seeing their wide-face happy smiles.
That extra scoop for 99 cents gets everybody.
Scrapping the ice off the freezers was like a game.
Pros
Appreciation gifts
Front counter
Customer Service Clerk (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON14 May 2017
I served I've cream and sold the chocolates in the front of the store. I also wrapped chocolates for the different holidays.
The managers were very grouchy and never in a good mood so I just did my job and was happy towards everyone..
It was definitely not what I was looking for.
Pros
Free samples of ice cream
Cons
No discounts
Loved my job but lies from management
Keyholder/Cashier, Part-time (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON21 April 2017
It's a great second job but don't let them lie to you. Full-time is not an option.
They will tell you it is.
You will be asked not to get a second job (they may even promise you full-time to get you to not look for another job)
You will be blamed for their ancient computer systems messing up
Managers will avoid actual management at all costs
Even if you are "full time" you won't get benefits.
Pros
Job is easy, coworkers were decent
Cons
obvious favouritisim, lying/dishonest managers, no full-time, no benefits for "acting full-time" low hours
Médiocres conditions
Responsable des ventes (Current Employee) –  Quebec City, QC27 February 2017
Courtes pauses. Faire des 8h seuls et devoir manger en avant et se faire dire qu'on a pas le droit d'aller aux toilettes. Salaire de 11$ de l'heure alors que je suis la temps plein et qu'il n'y a pas de gérante. Donc, je faisais le travail d'une gérante à 11$. Ridicule... Aucune reconnaissance pour le travail accompli. Bien contente de quitter cette compagnie.
Pros
Rien.
Cons
Tout.
Lire plus bas...
Responsable du kiosque (Former Employee) –  Drummondville, QC9 February 2017
Travail très agréable, belle ambiance.
Étant responsable, je voyais à tout: employées, caisse, commande,
mise en marché, etc
Que de bons souvenirs, malheureusement la compagnie n'a pas renouvellé son bail et j'ai dû me trouver un autre emploi.
Pros
Toujours occupée
Cons
Aucun
Disorganized and deceptive Management
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Saint John, IN9 January 2017
Always staffed at less than bare minimum. Company does not adhere to labour laws. Staff are expected to work without breaks, not even a washroom break, until 5+ hours into shifts. Frequently working a complete 5.5 hour shift without a single break. Company uses its camera systems to watch employees, not for loss prevention. Management considers its employees as warm bodies, and not as employees.
travail intéressant mais peu d'avancement.
Préposée au service à la clientèle (Former Employee) –  Ste.-Foy, QC21 November 2016
clientèle captive et fidèle engagement et assurance d'un excellent service à la clientèle.
Par contre l'avancement dans l'entreprise n'est pas facile.
Pros
service à la clientèle
Cons
stagnation dans l'entreprise
Bonne compagnie pour emploi étudiant
Vendeuse (Current Employee) –  Lévis, QC8 September 2016
Laura Secord est une très bonne compagnie pour travailler pendant ses études. Les horaires sont flexible et s'ajuste a l'horaire d'école. Les employés sont tous joviale et très gentils!
Selling chocolates
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  London, ON1 May 2016
Enjoyable fun job, lots of learning experiences. Friendly customers friendly co-workers. Reasonable hours, very busy peak seasons
four to five stars
Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON15 March 2016
It was a great work environment with lots of interesting people, and loved serving ice cream and chocolate, Worked with lots of great people, Customers were wonderful,Loved to unload stock to see what great items we would recive.
Pros
staff discounts on merchandise
Cons
sometimes we would have to unload huge skids
Sous pression
Assistante gérante (Former Employee) –  Chicoutimi, QC10 November 2015
La pression sur le chiffre de vente fut de loin la pire que j'ai vu.
Pros
chocolat gratuit