Laser Quest

Laser Quest Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Fun and rewarding work experience
Crew Member (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONJanuary 15, 2015
As a crew member I had multiple tasks that I needed to co-ordinate simultaneously. Keeping a fun environment, and delivering an entertaining experience for customers is one of the many ways in which I delivered quality customer service. Being punctual was a very important aspect of the job, and being able to stay on top of deadlines was necessary. With help from my team, we were able to deliver a memorable experience to many of our customers.
Good
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), EdmontonNovember 11, 2014
Typical day at work:
Selling Laser Quest products to prospecting buyers

What you learned:
- Customer service
- EBSCO research

Management:
- low engagement due to non-competitive pay

Your co-workers
- Typical sales

The hardest part of the job
- Little to no opportunity for advancement

The most enjoyable part of the job:
- High opportunity to learn via EBSCO
Fun to work at, but once you reach Manager, there is no more room for advancement
Manager (Former Employee), MontrealOctober 24, 2014
Pros: fun place to work at, lots of skills learning, great environment, teamwork, ongoing coaching
Cons: marketing late 20 years, website is bad, many mistakes, loops for nothing, pressured sales, limited advancement opportunities, minors (they all need money, but never want to work, expect to be called for a shift covering of replacement.
I had a blast working at Laser Quest. I learned a great list of responsabilities, tasks, and even got to build my own team, a winning team by the way, continuously breaking records nad delivering the won. On the other hadn, the company is very late in all sorts of marketing strategies, coroporate responsabilities… and so on ans so fort, and they have been there for 20 years… They dont read properly the laws and requirements by the governement. It always last minute policies, last minute changes, when everything is given the proper delay for adjustment. In Montreal, the GM does not want to move. Let me tell you that he is the best bois I ever had, but he is in a comfort zone. He could do so much more for the company, train, be an Area Manager, and become a legend with the company, but he refuses to grow, letting all the people underneath slowly sine in their positions, and no possibility for advancement, for many years (in other words, until he retires…, yeah talk about not letting people grow). His ego is in Montreal because he saved the center from closing 12 years ago, and the store has been on a constant revenue increase year after year, but other centers are slowly crumbling down, month after month. I strongly encourage him to grow and make a true difference managing many centers at once so that he can really make a difference and leave his comfort zone of. you will learn much from him, but he will stop your progress s soon as you hit the Salaried Manager position.
treated really badly
Crew Member (Current Employee), Oakville, ONAugust 21, 2014
management sucks treats you horribly
don't get breaks
not enough advertising
You learn how to be the life of the party.
Marshal (Current Employee), Kitchener, ONSeptember 10, 2013
Pros: fun environment, most of the time. good management.
Cons: hours of the week change too much. one week i'll have 20, the next week i'll only have 9.
This is a fun place to work at, if you're a shy person, this isn't the job for you. Especially since you have to hold the attention of a group of people, sometimes as large as 35! Having this job, you come across very different types of personalities and you learn different ways to handle different people and situations. You also learn how to work under pressure and a tight time deadline, all while maintaining a party like atmosphere.
Fun and exciting workplace, "Never a dull moment"
Crew Leader (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONJuly 15, 2013
Pros: lots of fun, hosted birthday parties, participated in games
Cons: short hours, under-staffed
I really enjoyed my experience at Laser Quest, as I found it enabled me to work with many types of co-workers and clients of all ages and backgrounds. What I really enjoyed was that there was always something to do, a client to greet, a game to run or simply a chore to be finished. I was able to work very fast and efficiently during busy hours, and even got recognized for all my hard work. The management was great and always ensured our days ran smoothly, and it made a great difference to know first hand how sincere our patrons really were. Unfortunately, the hours were not there and it was not the type of workplace I had wanted to continue working in which eventually led to my resignation.
Very fun workplace that leaves a lasting impression
Customer Service/Cashier (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONJuly 12, 2012
Pros: incentives, fun games, you get to make your briefing "your own", fun overnighters
Cons: not much time for breaks, not much flexibility on hours (mostly evenings/weekends)
Laser Quest was a great place to work. A typical day at work would be going in and jumping right into things. Laser quest is very fast paced and on the go. Between games and taking codenames there wasnt much time for anything. I learned how to manage my time effectly, how to be more outgoing and brought out my silly side. The people with whom I worked with were great aswell, everyone always had an upbeat attitude and a smile on their face (which isnt hard when there are so many kids happy and excited to play) I think the hardest part of the job would have been when you would have to clean party rooms asap if we were on a very tight schedule and the next party was arriving aswell as making sure games were on track. It would make things a bit stressful to fall behind. The most enjoyable part was definitely seeing the kids, and adults really enjoy the whole experience.
Great job,
General Manager (Current Employee), Lincoln, NEJanuary 23, 2015
Pros: work life balance, training, travel, advancement, support
Cons: working with old equipment, no conventional advertising done
This job has taught me more than I could have imagined. Starting from the President and CEO all the way to the crew members, the people that work for this company are amazing. This company believes in life work balance from day one and will assist you in your career aspirations. The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing all the happy customers coming out from the game leaving all the stress and worries behind. This job will challenge you in multiple levels of management from marketing, coaching, cost control, development of people, H.R. to name a few.
Fun and energetic place to work that genuinely cares about the employees and customers
Assistant Manager (Current Employee), Potomac Mills, VAJanuary 18, 2015
Every day is new. With promotions and events always happening, there is never a dull moment. It is rewarding to help manage a crew that brings such joy to the customers.
Fun and fast paced place to work
Crew Member (Former Employee), Houston, TXOctober 23, 2014
Pros: play games all day, most customers aren't rude
Cons: most nights i had to close the entire by myself with a limited amount of time
A typical day at work involved cleaning, playing games, handling the cash register, and making reservations for customers. I learned how to input codes into a computer, fix center problems at little to no cost. My co-workers were fun and reliable. The hardest part of the job was closing the store in 30 minutes. The most enjoyable part of the job was finding out you made a party more exciting than expected.
Energetic Atmosphere
Assistant Manager (Current Employee), Fullerton, CAAugust 20, 2014
Walking into the center is always a fun and enjoyable atmosphere. Making sure parents and kids have the best experience possible. From purchasing games, to selecting code names, handing out their scorecards, and booking their next event! Managing crew members is a blast, because everyone works together as a TEAM. Together Everyone Achieves More. Knowing I can trust them to do their job with minimum supervision, enables me to focus more on marketing, inventory, and closing work.
Fun
Assistant Manager/Keyholder (Current Employee), Trafford CentreJuly 10, 2014
On a day to day shift, I man the desk, book people in for games, set up games, cash up the till, finding discrepancies, resolving complaints, running my team, organising breaks around games, and I fix pack problems. Between all these responsibilities, I fit in my other responsibilities, such as performing and maintaining the health and safety checks, heading staff training and development, as well as I assist in counting and managing stock levels.
Fast growing, fun workplace
General Manager (Former Employee), Fort Lauderdale, FLMarch 21, 2014
Pros: free games
Cons: insurance, vacation
Family Entertainment Center featuring the largest Laser-tag Arena in South Florida.

Responsible for growth and profitability of Laser Quest‘s first Florida location. Successfully oversaw the construction and development of the new facility. Created a full marketing plan, educational program, budget, operational plan and sales plan.
• Hired, trained and developed all staff and management team.
Developed, pricing and sales promotions, including collateral material to support the promotions through market analysis and research.
• Created, developed and marketed corporate team-building packages, educational programs for schools, and birthday packages.
• Responsible for proper operation and training for technical equipment maintenance.
• Certified in “Act” program.
• Implemented and oversaw all aspects of community awareness programs and fundraising
Fun environment with a nuturing family culture
General Manager (Former Employee), Fresno, CAMarch 9, 2014
A great environment that encourages personal growth with training support from all Home Office Departments. The autonomy allows your potential to flourish.
Great job if you're under 20 years old
part time (Current Employee), USANovember 16, 2013
Pros: great place for a first job if young, 2 game passes every month. discounted games, small bonus every 3 months, good training methods
Cons: very underpaid, never any opportunity for advancement, home office is a pain to deal with
Typical day at work varies by day of the week, as weeknights tend to be slow (unless there's a private off-hours event, only salaried management work during weekday hours) and weekends tend to be very busy. Generally, you'll be taking phone calls from customers, mostly calls for information or birthday party reservations, and running the POS and game computers at the front desk - Mission Control. You'll also be running laser tag games.

You learn patience. Dealing with gangs of children can be tough when your job requires making them listen to you but still creative a fun, energetic atmosphere. Sometimes parents can be a nightmare when their expectations are not met - for example, they almost never get their party rooms right away (typically games are played first, then the rooms open up) but if they forget or misunderstand this fact they will not be happy, and you have to learn to deal with it. You also have to learn to deal with the occasional outburst of rage, something you might not expect at a place that's basically an arcade, but it happens. You also learn various technical aspects of the job, and to be quick thinking and light on your feet - if you have a game of 33 players starting in 5 minutes but several of your packs have technical issues rendering them unusable, which packs do you fix first? WHO fixes them when both phone lines are always busy and there's a line of people out the door who want in on the next available spot? Etc. Time management is a massively important thing here to grasp!

the center managers are usually pretty great, and often terribly underpaid. – more... (But who isn't at this company? Other than corporate bigwigs, of course.) Most of the people who run a Laser Quest are young college or high school students, so they know to be flexible with kids they work with, especially with the knowledge that turnover can be high - when you make less than $10 an hour part-time, that's not enough to pay bills, let alone tuition. Despite the fact that they're tasked with a LOT of work to take care of, management generally do a good job of running the place, though it might vary from center to center. You can usually expect to have a good boss at a Laser Quest center, simply because LQ is meant to be a fun place, and an overly-serious, stressed-out jerk of a boss would not be a good fit for the company...but it can happen. Though, they don't tend to last very long, thank goodness.

Co-workers likewise vary. Typically for crew and part-time assistant managers, really fun, outgoing people are sought out to fill spots. However, they do tend to be young - 16 to 24 years of age is the typical age range, usually leaning towards the younger side (older employees usually have the experience and education to seek more serious, better-paying jobs). Thus, you might be dealing with some rather immature people, but it's pretty fun to watch them grow into adults, too. Most employees are fun to hang out with and work with.

The hardest part of the job, other than the occasional explosion of rage from the occasional customer, is the lack of hours and low pay. This company tends to be really cheap. Because of the ACA's implementation, to make sure they don't spend a penny more on their employees and do not allow anyone who isn't salaried to be scheduled more than 25 hours unless it's urgent, with 30 being a sort of hard maximum - anyone who averages over 30 hours a week for the year must be provided with health benefits, and, well, this extremely profitable company just can't afford that! Investing in your employees' well-being is just too expensive. Another hard part is having any task that requires communication with anyone outside of your local center. If you have a technical problem that you can't solve on your own and need to contact the corporate tech guys? Expect it to take awhile. Possibly a LONG while. I understand the need for consistency and control across every location, but man, Corporate makes it really difficult to run a business as it needs to be run sometimes.

The most enjoyable part is that usually the job itself is fun, and flexible, making it much easier to stick for a longer time. You get to practice public speaking, play games with employees and customers (both in laser tag and little mini games), and interact with all kinds of people. It's great to see people having fun.around you and be part of it.

My summary: It's a great place to work if you've never held a job before, or if all you've done was something like Quizno's. It's entertaining and fairly easy to do. However, if you are looking to start a career, look elsewhere. The pay is peanuts, the openings are sparse, chances to move up in rank are non-existent, and if you need serious work, this is probably not the place for you. – less
Working at the LQ
Crew Member (Current Employee), Norridge, ILOctober 13, 2013
Pros: co-workers, management, bonus checks, and free games!
Cons: closing, customers (sometimes)
I started working at LQ during my senior year of high school, two years later I'm still in the sam position I was in, except I'm making about 30 cents more an hour. I love working there, my coworkers are amazing and the customers aren't so bad. As far as management, its more of a touch and go sort of idea. I love the GM and the assistant managers. Customers can be real a-holes sometimes even when you're providing the best service you can. Very flexible hours and it works great with your schedule. The hardest part of the job is probably closing down the whole center at the end of the night. The most enjoyable part of the job is the bonus checks we receive quarterly.
busy
Customer Service (Former Employee), Warrington, ENGOctober 6, 2013
Pros: short hours
Cons: boring days
in my experience it isn't a fun place to work.
it pushes you to do things that are beyond your experience.
Awesome starter job
Crew, Birthday Coordinator (Former Employee), Newington, CTAugust 16, 2013
This was my first job! It was really a blast working here. The customers are awesome, and it's like a big party at work.
Best Corporate Company to work for
Marketing/Operation Manager (Former Employee), Midvale UtahJune 15, 2013
Pros: great benefits, paid vacation, flexible hours, monthly bonus and retention bonus
Cons: night and weekend hours
My typical day at Laser Quest would include verifying funds daily, Preparing weekly schedules. Weekly ancillary maintenance and tech maintenance. I have learned how to better manage a business and more important manage employees to better themselves. Being part of a management team that comes together to find solutions instead of throwing someone under the bus instead of taking responsibility for ones actions. My job was never hard and the most enjoyable part of the job was knowing you were part of something bigger. With our Home Office in Toronto I was always recognized for my anniversary and even birthdays.
Fun, dynamic work environment
General Manager (Former Employee), Memphis, TNFebruary 2, 2013
Pros: excellent culture, work life balance
Cons: a very broad skill set is required to excell
Laser Quest was a great place to learn management skills. I started as a crew member in December 2007 and was General Manager of the Memphis location in December 2011. The senior management at LQ recognizes ability and does everything in their power to foster growth from the ground up.

A typical day as a GM involves marketing calls, running some operations, training, and taking care of any facility issues.

About Laser Quest

Laser Quest offers a professional teambuilding program, developed by a corporate training professional which involves a unique – Read more