Human Factors Engineer
The applicant will provide support to current human factors needs for various programs in Calgary and Ottawa. The applicant would be responsible for the HFE tasks and user experience within these programs. This would include human factors assessments, design and qualification activities at both a system and equipment level including the graphical user interface. This position will work to identify user needs and tasks and translate into user requirements and to then design, document and test user interface designs to ensure they meet performance and end user goals/needs. This requires the HFE representative to communicate with and report to several people on a daily basis while managing multiple tasks that could differ greatly and meeting deadlines.
Strong communication skills are essential for the applicant to interface with subcontractors, the customer, and other internal engineering groups. The applicant needs to be a highly motivated team player and should have a minimum 3years of human factors work experience in a range of projects. The applicant’s skills/knowledge should include, human factors, employing human factors into products or systems, physical design and some experience with user interface design, and software applications.
Travel may be required.
- Prepare HFE design documents, reports and other documentation that meet the requirements of the project.
- Review equipment and system specifications for HFE requirements content.
- Review drawings of equipment and provide feedback/direction to the hardware or design team.
- Apply HFE standards and contractual requirements to the equipment and system design process.
- Create human engineering designs to meet problem space definition.
- Present HFE design and evaluations at both internal and external technical presentations.
- Liaison with internal design teams and possibly the external customer.
- Review qualification test procedures for HFE requirements.
- Conduct qualification test procedures for HFE requirements and produce a report detailing the results
- Participate in the development of internal company HFE processes and procedures.
- Demonstrated understanding of physical and cognitive ergonomics
- Review product and system specifications for HFE content, define requirements and storyboard.
- Demonstrated capability in designing as part of a product design team
- Ability to create prototypes of various fidelities.
- The ability to employ new techniques in HCI/OMI/HMI research, design and evaluations.
- Survey and interview techniques for soliciting and prioritizing user needs.
- Translation of user needs analysis or other engineering analysis to design requirements.
- Methods to identify and evaluate technical/project human engineering alternatives that meet system requirements.
- Methods to assess, monitor, and mitigate HFE risks for both the program and the end user so that end user performance needs are met
- Able to generate plans and monitor progress
- Team player
- Ability to multi-task and work independently
- Good verbal and written communication
- At least 3 years of human factors engineering or cognitive systems/ergonomics design experience, preferably in complex systems.
- Hands-on experience as a human factors specialist preferably on mission critical programs, consumer products or other complex systems such as nuclear industry is highly desirable.
- Experience in hardware, systems or workplace ergonomics would be a strong advantage.
- Strong Human Factors/GUI knowledge
- Requirements analysis/ allocation
- Functional task analysis
- Perform testing of designs
- Effective written and oral communication skills using the English language; and
- Demonstrated abilities to effectively work within a team and lead the human engineering design within a design team and produce team results.
- Bachelors degree or higher in Human Factors Engineering, Kinesiology, Computer Science, Systems Design, Ergonomics, Psychology or related discipline with course work in human factors engineering/ergonomics/human computer interaction.
Indeed - 23 months ago
Canadian based staffing firm, partnered closely with a Canadian based system integrator, Head Quartered in Calgary and Ottawa.