Language Line Services Employee Reviews

Boring job ever!
Work from home Spanish Interpreter (Former Employee) –  Florida18 April 2017
You have to submit to their work hours which change every two weeks. They offer health ins. And are strict. They monitor you all the time.............
Pros
They offer Health Insurance
Cons
You have to request overtime and they have to approve it before your shift ends.
basketball leaguing sometimes between employees
All calls interpreter (Former Employee) –  Monterey, CA12 April 2017
A typical day was lots calls, I learned Medical, Legal, Finance and Insurance terminologies that I did not know when I first started interpreting. Management, was good but not the best, there was not much communication between supervisors and regular employees.
Workplace culture, we the employees were just like family, always looking out for each other when it came down to any unknown term, someone always came and stoop up to help each one.
Hardest part of the job was not knowing what was your next call about since we took calls from all industries and some of them were very challenging. The most enjoyable part of the job was that at the end of each call I felt that I helped someone to express their needs, specially during 911 or medical calls.
Pros
Ice cream, hot dogs or pizza days
Cons
Short breaks
It was great but must admit that it has declined a lot
Santo Domingo Dom. Rep (Former Employee) –  Santo Domingo Dom. Rep6 April 2017
It gives the employees many bonuses, which is excellent but I must admit that the pressure they put on you it is not worth the salary.

It is good to gain experience but I couldn't qualify this as a steady job.
Pros
All the bonuses you can imagine: transportation, lunch, punctuality
Cons
They treat the employees kind of bad. Let's just say you don't have the right to get sick
Excessively High Work Load
All-Call Interpreter (Former Employee) –  San Juan, PR27 February 2017
Once promoted to All-Call interpreter with a .50 cent salary increase the work load became impossible to bear. Paranoia inducing work environment.
Interesting
TELEPHONE INTERPRETER (Former Employee) –  San Juan, PR19 January 2017
It is a great job if you depend in being at your house, very impersonal and no contact with the outside.

Poor communication with supervisors.

Gives you a great knowledge of how different companies work.
Pros
being at home
Cons
routine and no interaction
learn new things everyday
ALL Call Spanish Interpreter (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CA12 December 2016
Language Line Solutions provides interpreting services to clients all over the world and from all walks of life, their very fast paced work environment and lack of management support and low pay, makes it hard for the interpreter to remain in their work force for long
Pros
ability to provide interpreter services all over the glove
Cons
short breaks, low pay, no feedback
This company is a joke
interpreter (Former Employee) –  Monterey, CA27 October 2016
Find yourself a better job and stay away from this industry.

When you first start with them, you feel excited about everything. And you would say "I feel good about helping people with my skill" (like many posts did). You're truly kind and naive.

But then you find you're not being helped by LanguageLine in return. Your pay stays miserable, you struggle for any vacation/day off, you need to pay high premium & deductible for their health insurance coverage, you can hardly afford to feed your family, and you receive a mug or key chain for Christmas/New year. This company is a joke.

Worst of all, when they feel the need to lower their charge to shut out competitors, they LAY EVERY ONE OFF (you can throw your framed awards and commendations out of the window now) and REHIRE new interpreters at lower pay. You still want to stay with them? Sure, you can re-apply and get re-hired easily and start all over again, albeit at LOWER PAY. This company is a sweathouse.
Pros
Cons
Too many to list
Great experience, not for everyone
Interpeter (Former Employee) –  Morelos, Mexico3 August 2016
It's a good feeling to be helping others. This job, however, is very demanding and mentally draining. The clients and their clients are rude, many don't give you the chance to interpret. When I was evaluated I was told that I should interrupt to ask for a chance to interpret, that the interpretations have to be 100% accurate, to ask for all the repetitions that I need yet make sure that the call isn't too long. So.... Interpret perfectly and quickly, but don't miss a single word. In training you are taught to interpret meaning for meaning, not word for word and that too many repetitions. The system used for calls is of horrible quality failing all the time. When I would submit support requests to IT, they were never resolver and I was told after a month to submit another and start over. The termination process is done over the phone, once you are locked out of the system and told to call a 800 number and wait for your call.
Pros
Work at home, health insurance (IMSS), part time or full time, alright pay
Cons
Low call volume, not guaranteed, rude clients
Worst company to work for
Interpreter (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CA24 July 2016
Stay away from Languageline as far as possible. The worst ever company to work for. After you worked for them for years, they cut your wages by large scale just to fill their greed. Treat employees as Slaves. Languageline had received class action lawsuit for mistreating their employees. Their unlawful conducts definitely deserves another one.
Pros
None.
Cons
Treat employees as slaves, cut wages, received class action from previous employees for their misconducts.
Very interesting and learnfull
Interpreter (Former Employee) –  Ponce, PR18 July 2016
I was a work at home interpreter and enjoyed every day I worked for them. I had a full tiome jobe with them, quality time with my family and enjoyed learning everyday more from different departments. Health, Dept Colectors and more.
Pros
Cons
Customer Service positive fee backs compansation
Horrible company to work for!
Spanish Interpreter (Former Employee) –  Riverside, CA23 January 2016
They couldnt pay me a million dollars to go work for them ever again. they dont care about their employees. they dont give employee benefits of any kind and they want you to be their slave. I dont recommend this company to anyone starting in the interpreting world.
Pros
full time employment plus overtime
Cons
bad pay, no benefits
Vietnamese Interpreter (Former Employee) –  Monterey, CA22 January 2016
Performed as Vietnamese Interpreter over the phone.

In charge of all income calls transfered from operator and interpret between Client and Limited English Person. (LEP).
Confortable job environment.
Interpreter (Current Employee) –  Home address9 September 2015
I interpret for different industries including medical, financial, insurance, court systems, Homeland Security, correction facilities, customer service and technical support.
Pros
Work from the house.
Cons
Not many incentives.
a very good call center of interpretation
Medical Interpreter (Former Employee) –  santo domingo dominican republic29 August 2015
i used to interpret regular customer services calls and also medical calls , i really liked it cause everyday it was like a challenge every call was different, i had very funny calls and very , extremely hard and sad calls, i handeled 911 calls, emergencies. hospital visits and surgeries

my day was taking calls in a very relax envoroment with very good co workers , i learned a lot about laws, medications, taxes and finance

the hardest part was when i had to interpret for a judge, cause i had to be very concentrated and very accurate in every word that i say
also when i was interpreting for a doctor with a patient

the most enjoyable where when i had to interpret 911 calls but from drunk people cause they where just funny
Pros
good compensation and over time
Cons
we did not had a cafeteria
System change causing major problems.
Interpreter (Current Employee) –  Houston, TX26 August 2015
I enjoyed working here, but recently there has been a systerm change and I am not getting enough work for this job to be sustainable.
Never dull
Interpreter (Former Employee) –  Monterey, CA1 July 2015
A fast paced job done in the comfort of your home. Co-workers are at their homes or at the call center.You would get 1-2 breaks depending the hours worked. It was exciting because you would not know who would call next or what situation you would have.
Pros
Picking your work schedule, helping others
working for LLS was so much fun
Interpreter (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZ7 June 2015
Maybe it's not a usual job to work alone but it become so much fun as an individual accomplishment. Phone interpreter is a good opportunity to learn a lot about people, help them as best you can. the most enjoyable part of the job was the outcome , when you hear the satisfying of the both parties.
Felt really good helping others in need
Interpreter 911 (Former Employee) –  Santo Domingo20 May 2015
It gave me the ability to stay calm in very difficult situations and deal better under pressure. I had a great time, lots of friends and definitely helped my English and customer service skills.
HORRIBLE company!
interpreter (Current Employee) –  CA19 May 2015
I am still working here...6 years almost.

No pay raise, no Bonus, just some high priced health insurance.

No vacation, no day offs, no sick days.

Getting a sudden sick day off is a battle!

And constant reminders of how many days off one has taken and warnings.

Constant monitoring.

Various training to undergo every year, no Christmas gift/Bonus, no nothing.

They are constantly buying out other similar companies and their annual profit is very high.

Working here still only as it is a work from home option...

I would not be able to pay even just rent with their salary!

Do not apply, beginners!
Pros
nothin
Cons
everything.
Portugese Interpreter
Portuguese Interpreter (Former Employee) –  At home14 May 2015
I worked from home, over the phone interpreting from Portuguese to English and vise verse.

I started working in my scheduled time. Used a bin-aural headphone set. I worked full time and then at the end I worked part time.

We need to learn all the techniques to listen and to rely on the context at the beginning to understand the services we are providing.

I did not have too much contact to co-workers, however, my manager was a blessing. She was there to help me to improve in the areas where I need improvement and to cheer me up in the areas I had a very nice performance.

The hardest part of the job is that you cannot say your opinion. It is even hard because you are talking always in first person. Many times people is thinking you are the one saying things to them.

Helping people is always enjoyable to me. This is a job where you are improving the communication to people. Only for this aspect it is wonderful to work at this job. Also, the company is very fair in their payment and bonuses. Last but not least, working at home is a must to save gas and clothes. :)
Pros
Saving gas and clothes
Cons
Work alone wit no interaction most of the time.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Language Line Services. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9