Language Line Services

Language Line Services Employee Reviews

Worst company to work for
Interpreter (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 24, 2016
Stay away from Languageline as far as possible. The worst ever company to work for. After you worked for them for years, they cut your wages by large scale just to fill their greed. Treat employees as Slaves. Languageline had received class action lawsuit for mistreating their employees. Their unlawful conducts definitely deserves another one.
Pros
None.
Cons
Treat employees as slaves, cut wages, received class action from previous employees for their misconducts.
Very interesting and learnfull
Interpreter (Former Employee) –  Ponce, PRJuly 18, 2016
I was a work at home interpreter and enjoyed every day I worked for them. I had a full tiome jobe with them, quality time with my family and enjoyed learning everyday more from different departments. Health, Dept Colectors and more.
Pros
Cons
Customer Service positive fee backs compansation
Horrible company to work for!
Spanish Interpreter (Former Employee) –  Riverside, CAJanuary 23, 2016
They couldnt pay me a million dollars to go work for them ever again. they dont care about their employees. they dont give employee benefits of any kind and they want you to be their slave. I dont recommend this company to anyone starting in the interpreting world.
Pros
full time employment plus overtime
Cons
bad pay, no benefits
good practice but horrible job
Customer Service Interpreter (Former Employee) –  anywhereOctober 12, 2014
This is a job where you can work from home and essentially set your own hours. Problem with this is that you are all alone all the time. The management hardly interacts with you and if so it's only by email or a rare phone call. There is no recognition whatsoever and this job is only good if you are trying to practice to become an interpreter for a hospital or the courts. Even then you get calls constantly for everything and the people on the line are inconsiderate of the interpretation process and don't rest up or pause for you to interpret. The pay is minimum though you provide a valuable service and there is no advancement opportunity and no benefits.
Pros
practice, work from home
Cons
pay, benefits, management, everything
HORRIBLE company!
interpreter (Current Employee) –  CAMay 19, 2015
I am still working here...6 years almost.

No pay raise, no Bonus, just some high priced health insurance.

No vacation, no day offs, no sick days.

Getting a sudden sick day off is a battle!

And constant reminders of how many days off one has taken and warnings.

Constant monitoring.

Various training to undergo every year, no Christmas gift/Bonus, no nothing.

They are constantly buying out other similar companies and their annual profit is very high.

Working here still only as it is a work from home option...

I would not be able to pay even just rent with their salary!

Do not apply, beginners!
Pros
nothin
Cons
everything.
a very good call center of interpretation
Medical Interpreter (Former Employee) –  santo domingo dominican republicAugust 29, 2015
i used to interpret regular customer services calls and also medical calls , i really liked it cause everyday it was like a challenge every call was different, i had very funny calls and very , extremely hard and sad calls, i handeled 911 calls, emergencies. hospital visits and surgeries

my day was taking calls in a very relax envoroment with very good co workers , i learned a lot about laws, medications, taxes and finance

the hardest part was when i had to interpret for a judge, cause i had to be very concentrated and very accurate in every word that i say
also when i was interpreting for a doctor with a patient

the most enjoyable where when i had to interpret 911 calls but from drunk people cause they where just funny
Pros
good compensation and over time
Cons
we did not had a cafeteria
It is a ball chain job.
Interpreter (Former Employee) –  San Jose CaliforniaAugust 26, 2013
I worked for what was Language Line Services for almost 3 years. Was surrounded by many qualified and intelligent interpreters that as myself, were seeing as nothing more than a number. Our pay was miserable and did not reflect what we individually knew as interpreters. Our management is is willing to do whatever possible and throw anyone under the bus to succeed at Language Line. Our president thinks that by buying coffee mugs will make us feel better. We are the money makers of that company and yet we cannot get a raise or benefits. The hardest part of the job was to be asked to go into this page and many more in the web, to be say good things about a company that has done nothing more the oppress me. The most enjoyable was getting fired for following protocol and guidelines.
Pros
became more eloquent in both languages.
Cons
everything and everyone.
One of the best paying jobs in Dominican Republic
Spanish Interpreter (Former Employee) –  San Isidro Zona Franca, Sto Dgo Este, Dom RepJanuary 26, 2015
This company is located in Dominican Republic. It provides one of the better paying jobs in the country. The employees are able to work under minimal supervision with limited opportunity for advancement unless the employee is recommended by senior management.
Pros
excellent performance incentives and transportation/food benefits
Cons
limited job advancement
Good to begin in the interpreting business
Work-at-Home English/Spanish Interpreter (Former Employee) –  Monterrey, CAMarch 17, 2014
I would recommend this company to anyone who would like to start in the world of Over the Phone Work at Home interpretation. It gives you good experience and a ton of work. Besides that, It doesn't say much. The pay/ work ratio is pretty offensive ($7.50 per hour/ calls received every 2-5 seconds after one ends). And there is hardly any ground for advancement. I won the quarterly production award for every quarter that I worked with them and that still was not enough to get at least a $0.10 raise. Also, I
Pros
work at home
Cons
pay is terrible, offtime policy is bad, sick day and holiday policy is also very bad.
Vietnamese Interpreter (Former Employee) –  Monterey, CAJanuary 22, 2016
Performed as Vietnamese Interpreter over the phone.

In charge of all income calls transfered from operator and interpret between Client and Limited English Person. (LEP).
By far the worst and the stingiest company ever!!!
interpreter (Former Employee) –  monterey, CAFebruary 8, 2013
The company takes advantage of qualified interpreters. That's why truly qualified interpreters or the ones who's become qualified don't stay in the company. The company is just a stepping stone. Nobody would work for such a low wage and no benefits.
Perhaps the upper management is so busy with stuffing their pockets that they don't even once care about even only one day of their employees' sick leave.
Pros
working from home
Cons
no benefits, no off days, not even a sick day off, low wage
Solid company
HR Coordinator (Contractor-Oasis Staffing) (Former Employee) –  Monterey, CAJanuary 29, 2015
Management worked hard to place employees in roles that were comparable to their skills. The culture was lax and that sometimes reflected on the quality of employees' work.
Pros
good managment
Cons
culture too lax
Fast paced very busy
Interpreter-Spanish/English (Current Employee) –  Moreno Valley, CAJuly 3, 2014
The most enjoyable part of this job is that you get to speak to a great variety of industries. Never a dull moment. Love working from home. The flexibility of hours.

A typical day is answering calls non stop until breaks which are very punctual, you don't get a restroom break unless you take a SPECIAL but then you can only take so many of those until its excessive and you get warned for that. So restroom is only during breaks you have to make sure you take them, so beware if something upsets your stomach. You are reviewed every 3 months and someone takes the time to listen and let you know what you need improvement on . I love this part. We have interactive learning sessions if you are interested in learning more or improvement. Pay is minimum wage with bonus minutes. Benefits are not that great, not much coverage.
Pros
flexibility in hours
Cons
no holiday pay and unpaid vacations
Job is a Scam, sued in California
Spanish Interpeter (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaAugust 27, 2012
This job is a scam they lie about how much you'll make per hour as per min interpreter, in order to make $14 or higher you have to be on the call 20 or longer most calls are much shorter, they don't reimburse in full for phone line, study time of glossary and were sued for that in California.
You'll be making approximately $8.00 per hour with lousy expansive benefits, don't bother ,find interpreting job that pays a living wage.

Once you choose your schedule, Impossible to change, will demand that you constantly study on your own time which is illegal they suppose to pay for everything work related, will check on you constantly, no sick time off, pay is much lower than recruiter promised. Company has extremely high employee turnover,basically a revolving door, because they don't want to pay living wage or properly train interpreters
Cons
locked into schedule, no sick time off, lie about your hourly wage
Productive workplace
ALL-CALL Interpreter (Former Employee) –  Panama City, PanamaJune 1, 2013
I received calls from different industries, such as courts, 911 dispatchers and police officers at the scene, hospitals, banks and other financial institutions, insurance companies and much more, looking for an interpreter to assist them communicating with limited english speaking people and sometimes needed to place calls on my own as requested by them to conference more people into the call.
I learned a lot of terminology, USA laws and had the opportunity to help other people in need as well. The management was o.k. and my co-workers were good people as well. The hardest part of this job was to interpret with many people next to me doing the same job and speaking loudly because sometimes we had poor connections and were not heard very clearly on the other side The most enjoyable part of this job was learning, every day I learned experience and terminology used in different countries and different industries.
Worst company ever.
Spanish Interpreter (Former Employee) –  MontereyMarch 1, 2013
From a personal experience this was the worst company to ever cross my career path as an interpreter. They pay minimum wage regardless of one's education or experience (that doesn't seem to matter). This company bought out the agency that I was working for. We received a video via e-mail asking us to stay aboard and that nothing would change.......well, it changed my life. A few months later, my wages were cut in less than half and then to minimum wage wanting me to commit to 25 hours per week! I couldn't do it. My impression is that all that matters to them is that one works for cheap and nothing else. Furthermore, when other prospect employers have tried to confirm that I was an employee of the company, Language Line never confirmed with them either way. I tried to obtain a letter of recommendation and I was told that the company does not give those to previous employees. I have spoken in person to Language Line representatives telling me that someone would get back to me and no one ever did. Every time I see the title "Language Line", I think of a nightmare.
Cons
see below
Confortable job environment.
Interpreter (Current Employee) –  Home addressSeptember 9, 2015
I interpret for different industries including medical, financial, insurance, court systems, Homeland Security, correction facilities, customer service and technical support.
Pros
Work from the house.
Cons
Not many incentives.
Languageline keeps all the profits nothing is left for employees
Intepreter (Former Employee) –  work at homeSeptember 13, 2011
The company is doing very well. They have the lion share of the interpreting market. However greed knows no bounds. They offer no vacation, profit sharing , or insurance to speak of.

Interpreting is not an easy thing like most folks think.
The calls come from different business sectors including financial and telecommunications. There is a high level of stress and the pay is the same as if the interpreter worked at Mcdonalds.
Pros
wok at home
Cons
no benefits, poor pay
Portugese Interpreter
Portuguese Interpreter (Former Employee) –  At homeMay 14, 2015
I worked from home, over the phone interpreting from Portuguese to English and vise verse.

I started working in my scheduled time. Used a bin-aural headphone set. I worked full time and then at the end I worked part time.

We need to learn all the techniques to listen and to rely on the context at the beginning to understand the services we are providing.

I did not have too much contact to co-workers, however, my manager was a blessing. She was there to help me to improve in the areas where I need improvement and to cheer me up in the areas I had a very nice performance.

The hardest part of the job is that you cannot say your opinion. It is even hard because you are talking always in first person. Many times people is thinking you are the one saying things to them.

Helping people is always enjoyable to me. This is a job where you are improving the communication to people. Only for this aspect it is wonderful to work at this job. Also, the company is very fair in their payment and bonuses. Last but not least, working at home is a must to save gas and clothes. :)
Pros
Saving gas and clothes
Cons
Work alone wit no interaction most of the time.
You get to pick your own hours
Telephonic Language Interpreter (Current Employee) –  Monterey, CAMay 8, 2013
The positive thing with this company and my position is that I get to pick my own hours. This allows me to spend time with my children creating a great work/live balance. Otherwise the contract position offers no benefits and in the four years I have been with the company, I have never received a performance review or a pay increment.

2.8