Lands' End Inc Employee Reviews

Bad management
Packing/Returns (Former Employee) –  Dodgeville, WIMarch 6, 2016
I worked at Dodgeville Lands End for 16 years. No advancement opportunities, bad management, hours suck. I was sick of working 20 hours a week so asked to be transferred to another department. Management told me no because I was to valuable. So I left went back to college. A year later I asked for an internship they told me no because I didn't have enough experience. (The lady doing the phone interview didn't call at the scheduled time, i had to call several times to hunt her down, obviously I wasnt important enough for her) And are you kidding me not enough experience 16 years. The only way you get promoted is partying with management. No health benefits either. The only way this job is worth it is if you are looking for a part time job and you live in town. And you better have a flexible schedule because one day you will work 10 hours and the next 5 hours.
Pros
Nice employees
Cons
Bad management, no health care, hours, no job advancement opportunities.
Sweat shop
Salaried Professional Manager (Former Employee) –  Dodgeville, WISeptember 16, 2015
6 CEOs in 13 years. What else do you need to know? There is no stability and the employee turnover among salaried professionals is outrageous. The talented people have left. The morale is terrible among those remaining because they don't replace anyone and the work still has to be done. The workload is staggering; and people are routinely working all night at home (I know because of the emails I get and the IMs that I get). The technology is terrible everywhere. Plus, the place is so far into the boonies that you can barely get a decent cell signal, and you can forget about getting out for lunch because there are only a couple of restaurants. I can't drive by a McDonalds or a Culvers anymore without getting sick.

On the other hand, if you're a hourly worker, it's not bad. But this is a company where you want to be hourly, not salary.
Pros
None.
Cons
Workload vs adequate staff to get it done.
Good company for the area.
Return Analyzer (Former Employee) –  Dodgeville, WINovember 10, 2015
The job had a rate attached to it which you needed to perform daily, which was difficult depending upon the type of clothing.
I enjoyed all the ladies that I worked with, it made the day go by quickly.
I learned the different type of clothing, sorting, disposition of articles, and fast folding techniques.
My lead person was easy to work with, gave me an excellent work schedule and evaluation.
Pros
Flexible work schedules.
Cons
Flex workers do not receive any benefits.
Careful, they like to play tricks
salesperson (Former Employee) –  Niles, ILDecember 2, 2015
I worked part time for them for about six months. In the interview they told me part timers were eligible for benefits. That is untrue, although it seems like it is accurate based on the website information (only for the people in the corporate office in Wisconsin).

They do have a nice way of running things though, I appreciated knowing what my role was going to be on a day to day basis, and I felt supported by my manager and co workers.

However, one day he took me into the office and said I was going to be placed on a "temporary leave of absence", along with 2 other employees. There just wasnt enough business to justify having all of us on the payroll, he explained. I was fine with it because I had another job I could get more hours at, and he promised in a month, "two, tops", i could come back.

Problem with this was that even though I was technically still an employee, my employee number stopped working in the computer system and I could not get my employee discount any longer. I also could not get a hold of him after the two months to find out my status. He did call the week of Thanksgiving (four months later) to say I could come back to help during the Christmas rush. uh, thanks?

So basically, what this company does is lay you off but they say you are still an employee with them so you can't go collect unemployment. Which is probably illegal, but I didn't care enough about the job to check that.
Pros
good discounts, nice people to work with
Cons
hours can be long, you are on your feet the whole time, see layoff BS above
Fun, exciting workplace
Monogram Technician / Cashier / Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 2, 2016
As a monogram technician, I was able to interact will customers on a personal level and I loved it. I heard so many stories behind the reasons why customers would get certain things monogrammed. I am still very grateful for having had this opportunity. I also helped maintain the sales floor and assist customers when the monogram line would dissipate. My co workers were amazing and the managers were very cool and understanding. It was a pleasure being a part of this experience and team. It was my first time opening and closing a store in NYC. The hardest part of my job was telling the customers we didn't have certain items from the catalog in the store.
Pros
Cool staff, charitable events, selfie booth, Monogram station, Cafe Station
Cons
Didn't stay open
a store, in a store, in a mall.
Consultative Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Alpharetta, GAMay 7, 2016
I clocked in, I folded clothes, hardly any customers and when they're were customers, the were from the sears side and not LE customers and then we had to send them over because our policy is to only ring up customers from our company, but then sears management would tell us we had to ring them up and then no one knew or knows what to do.
I learned folding techniques, fill out online returns and orders, boxing and displaying shoes, displaying mannequins, and how to work a retail P.O.S. system running on DSL windows '95.
I normally worked alone, but when i saw my co workers they were pleasant.
The hardest part about the job was getting a raise. (I never got one but I moved up to sales lead.) I never got the title of manager but I functioned as one, because managers get raises.
The most enjoyable part of the job was leaving.
Pros
hour long lunches, in a mall, no customers
Cons
distance between the break room and LE was so long it cut time off your break. no customers, LE and Sears contradictory rules.
Great hours, and great location during the summer!
Waiter (Former Employee) –  CharvilApril 8, 2016
This pub is a lovely pub situated in a rural area. This makes travel there very pleasant. It gets very busy at times although manageable! Typical days can include a variety of tasks regardless of job roles, such as light cleaning work. This job provided me with some experience of a new side of hospitality which is great when applying for other jobs. Co-workers really vary. I would say there is a friendly atmosphere in the pub, although some employees can bring the mood down. The hardest part of the job is dealing with the landlord who can be rude at times, although is generally okay. The best part of the job is that the general feeling in the pub is very nice, mainly due to the customers there who are generally regulars. There are lots of lovely families that often come every week.
Pros
Good tips if you work for them, friendly customer base
Cons
Landlord is occasionally rude
Productive and community focused position
Sales Leader (Current Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COMay 4, 2016
Upon being hired, I was immediately welcomed into the family and informed about growth opportunities. I was paired with a mixture of associates, to ensure an unbiased training base. They allowed as much training as needed to ensure that I could take care of the customer to the best of my ability, as well as to the company's standard. Management focused on helping associates feel valued so that the attitude could be returned to our customers.

The worst part of the job was having to work every weekend and holiday, although I understood the purpose and opportunities presented.

The best part of the job was being pushed by management to be the best me. With the help of my direct manager, I was able to graduate from part time to full time, and full time to a lead position in less than a year. I also loved being able to establish relationships with customers and nurturing those relationships as the customer returned. This was especially rewarding with the "regulars."
Pros
Wonderful management, company truly cares, valued customer
Cons
Holiday work, partnership with another company
extras removed for co. cut backs
Bi lingual customer service (Former Employee) –  Stvens Point WiMay 21, 2015
Good place to work . .many options
to bad its only part time and no more than 29 hrs x week
NO benefits . .and extra perks we once had have been
all taken away . . of course we are all given the same LARGE
corporate speech . . .business suffering, we need to scale back,
yet ceo / cfo / mngrs. get their bonus w/o doubts. while the back
bone of the company gets NOTHING. Hope the NEW CEO does
something for the working people. after all thanks to the working
force . .they have their jobs. w/o US customer support . .You to
be out looking for a job.
Pros
none any more
Cons
all extra little perks have been removed
Good company; more advancement in Dodgeville
Sales and Service Consultant (Current Employee) –  Stevens Point, WIAugust 9, 2015
This is a call center role where you work with a variety of businesses helping them with branded apparel and branded gifts.
Pros
Good company; lots of benefits and personal time
Cons
More advancement in Dodgeville rather than Stevens Point campus
Has a good history
Sales Leader (Shop Manager) (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAJune 29, 2016
The motto of Lands' End is simply, "take care of the customer, take care of the employee, and the rest will take care of itself". They definitely put a major focus on the customer and great customer service. The one on one interactions are critical. On the downside, the company needs to listen to their shop leaders and employees a little more.
Pros
Employee discount, customer interactions
Cons
Hours are very low, starting pay rate is hard to compete with other businesses
Great PT job
Customer Care Specialist (Former Employee) –  Stevens Point, WISeptember 8, 2015
good part time job while going to school. Pay was very well but no benefits and often times sales were pushy for numbers. Coaching sessions got old, discount on clothes was nice.
productive workplace
Soft line Merchandising Associate (Current Employee) –  Woodbridge, NJJanuary 11, 2016
Worth the experience & the family oriented enviorment,

Consistently generated additional revenues utilizing thorough product knowledge and friendly sales techniques to up-sell product specials and complementary items

*Exceeded customer expectations by locating hard to find items, and recommending alternative options for out of stock apparel. *Ability to work in teams and partnering with others through collaborative work ethics & driving results by placing a high priority on detail accuracy to successfully complete all tasks.
*Deliver excellent customer service demonstrated with a high degree of professionalism.
*Responsible for timely & proper placement of merchandise for maximum impact according to guidelines.
Pros
learning experience
Cons
no room for growth
Best job location ever
Hotel employee (Former Employee) –  Homer, AKDecember 8, 2015
I loved working here 95% of the time. Unbeatable location and mostly great people to work with. There was more drama than I'd prefer, but most of it came from the same few people. This hotel has so much potential and can really become something great. Management was working on appreciation seminars, so it's good to see them investing back in their people.
Pros
Free soup of the day, amazing views (where else can you see whales, otters and bald eagles from your work), and great coworkers.
Cons
They are not very sensitive to employees having personal time, and there are a few mean managers that they are not willing to discipline.
productive place to work
Sales Consultant (Current Employee) –  Henrico, VAMarch 23, 2015
A typical day at work for me is solving customer issues, making sure my customers are finding what they are looking for as well as making myself available to all of there needs and wants. I learn not to take situations that happen at work to heart and to not get emotional when I have a difficult customer. My coworkers are terrific I love working with them. I am a team worker so that's a plus in my position. The hardest part of my job is the slow pace. I love to work, and I am use to fast pace jobs, and when its low its very hard. The most enjoyable part is helping my customers, and when they walk out happy that they found what they came in for it lets me know that I've done my job.
Pros
building relationships with customers and coworkers
Cons
benefits and slow pace
Love the clothes
IT Special Projects (Former Employee) –  Dodgeville, WIFebruary 24, 2016
I really enjoyed my time with Lands' End tech department. My co-workers were friendly and welcoming to all the questions I had when i first started. I have worked at the HQ placed in Dodgeville for a years and was always welcomed by the management when they needed me.
Pros
Beautiful Campus
Cons
Impatient End Users
Very friendly and wonderful place to work. Supervisors are the best.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIMarch 2, 2016
This is a very nice place to work. The supervisors are all willing to work around your schedule. The work environment is fun. Co-workers are great. Hardest part of the job would be picking up after customers after they have tried on clothes and left them on floor in dressing rooms. I enjoy helping customers find what they're looking for. Customers are usually very nice and appreciative of help.
Productive work enviroment!!! Very fun and professional company to work for!
Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNMay 8, 2016
I really enjoyed my time spent working at LandsEnd. My co-worker felt like family. We always had a lot of work to do, however it never felt like it because we really enjoyed the job.
Pros
amazing discount, great coworkers, fun work enivorment
Cons
far from hom, short lunch breaks
Wonderful people to work with
Analyzer Technician (Current Employee) –  Dodgeville, WIJune 9, 2016
I enjoy working at lands end. People are great, both fellow employees and leads, supervisors, and administrator. Enjoy the perks of pool, work out center.
Everyone at lands end is friendly, always willing to help.
Pros
People and caring staff at all levels
Cons
CEO is taking company down
Excellent place to learn from the best in the business.
Copy Manager & Creative Director for Copy (Former Employee) –  Dodgeville, WIDecember 15, 2014
I learned how a highly successful retail company produces catalogs. I had the opportunity to collaborate with designers, individuals in quality control, merchants, and excellent art directors to produce highly effective marketing materials.

In addition to the opportunity to learn, grow, and advance I had great co-workers.

The toughest part of the job was that it was based in the midwest and I was not originally from that part of the country, so I missed my family.

It's true that as I advanced up the corporate ladder the work life balance became challenging. But I feel this is typical of large corporations.

I have lots of respect for Lands' End. I appreciate the time I spent working there.
Pros
excellent compensation, ability to learn and grow, i was proud of the work i produced there
Cons
work/life balance can be challenging depending on your position in the organization