Landry's Restaurants Employee Reviews

Server (Current Employee) –  Galveston, TXNovember 12, 2015
I like working for the company overall. I would just like a career not just a job. I am a single mother of two, I barely make enough money to cover my bills and provide for my family. I get governmental assistance and it's still barely enough...
For the most part good hard working staff.
Manager (Former Employee) –  DenverJuly 17, 2013
Deceptive job description, unclear & unrealistic expectations. inconsistent training for both hourly to salary level staff. Claim of good work life balance, however if you upset the upper management, you schedule will be changed without notice or explination and you'll never see your family awake. If being Micromanaged and hammered on everyday for small mistakes and never hearing about what you did a good job on is for you, then this is a great company! Prepare to be bullied!! I think I heard the "Emperial" theme music from Sar Wars playing when I got to work everyday.
Pros
fun theme, hard working people
Cons
very inconsistent business volumes, "shoot from the hip" management, and the attutude of "that's not my job" comes from the management quite often. over priced, sub-par seafood.
Long work days, but can be very rewarding.
Restaurant Server (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLAugust 24, 2015
The work days were often very long and tiring, but they always promised good pay. The turnover rate was extremely high there, so job security was a scare for the first year.
Pros
Money
Cons
Job security, long work days
I wish to speak in private
server (Former Employee) –  Lake Buena Vista, FLDecember 10, 2015
Landrys is a good company but some they would require you to sell safari club memberships and if you did not make your quota each month you was made to attend what they called safari club bootcamp at 7am on a Saturday.and if you attended bootcamp more that 3 times in one year you lost your job....
Pros
meeting people fom around the world
Cons
having to sell safari club member ships.
Mixed Feelings
Employee (Former Employee) –  Galveston, TxSeptember 18, 2013
I worked for the San Luis and the Fisherman's Wharf. I wouldn't ever work for Landry's again. The management is trained to constantly threaten employees. It's pretty easy to just do your job. The secret shops aren't bad. They hired two kids to run their cafe when I worked there. As long as you do what you are supposed to you have nothing to worry about. They just don't care about their employees. Forget about raises or getting promotions. They just want puppets and robots working for them.
Pros
consistent breaks, employee meals, discounts, and atmosphere
Cons
pay!!!! treatment, and bar uniforms
Lack of professionalism and stable management
sr. garnishment specialist (Former Employee) –  houston, txOctober 10, 2012
The company seems okay as long as you know upfront if you are a salaried employee they demand you work a minimum of 50-60 hours a week. This is due to the companies hidden philosphy of if you are able to complete all of your daily work within an avg 8 hour day then they are not keeping you busy enough.

The company "skirts" the FLSA law which governs which employees are exempt from overtime by trying to make all employees exempt, then require you to work in excess of 50 hours a week.

The management structure and atmosphere is not stable and always in such disarray that it adds to the old adage of the inmates are running the insylum. There is a very clear lack of true leadership within most departments especially with the human resources/payroll department. I would not recommend anyone work for them at this time until there is a real change of management.
Cons
they will demand you work long hours as a salaried person
Pizzas are all home made... Yum
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 29, 2015
Capi's Italian Kitchen had really good homemade food. The Pizzas were all made to order and thin crusted. Our coffees were also delicious after dinner.
Working for the company was extremely exhausting. You punch in and work and that was all there was to it. It was stressful on busy days. You never new you would even get a break.
Fun place to work
Group Sales Manager at Rainforest Cafe (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJuly 8, 2015
Landry's restaurants offered great benefits to their employees. I enjoyed my time working for Rainforest Cafe and worked with an amazing team.
Terrible company with zero communication or organization.
Bar Manager (Former Employee) –  HonoluluJuly 17, 2014
Run fast in the other direction, and don't work here. Upper management lies and will have backroom meetings about you. This was the worst experience in 20 years in the business. Their training program was a disaster and then blamed me for their incompetence. They are still trying to fill the management position six months later. Nobody lasts, because they have impossible expectations..you must deliver perfection. The venue had incompetent security, and fights broke out every weekend.

If you feel like being degraded and undervalued, then Landrys is the company for you. Don't bother with the medical insurance...it will cost you a fortune. Obamacare is cheaper.

As I said...run.
Cons
bad, dishonest management, promises never kept, disorganized, terrible training, pass blame. expensive insurance...the cons are too many to type.
Pleasure Pier Galveston, terrible place to work.
Ride Operator (Former Employee) –  Pleasure Pier Galveston, TXJanuary 9, 2015
The management staff at Pleasure Pier is just awful. They are unprofessional and treat there employees like they are just a number. I was a ride operator there and the very first shift I worked 10 hours without even a bathroom break. The managers don't appreciate their employees and and talk down to them. The managers are all in there mid to upper twenties, from the east coast and very egotistical. Based on my experiance, I would never work for Landrys again.
Quite a good job with a lot of new rules every day
Admissions (Former Employee) –  Galveston, TXAugust 27, 2012
My typical workday: get the position (greeting/parking/front ticket booth), cashing in, if needed, and then cashing out. I had to smile, to talk with guests (I liked it), and help them to make their choice.
I learned how to stay calm, how to use register. My management was OK. My Co-workers were really cool. The hardest part of the job was staying in the sun. Also it was hard to follow all the strict rules.
The most enjoyable part was communicating with my co-workers during the work-day and after it.
Great growth potential, long hours for big rewards
Sr. Service Manager (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 12, 2014
The company is growing rapidly. If you are willing to put in the time (70hr weeks) and relocating with relatively short notice(24hrs) the pay off is huge. The staff is great, management is approachable, and the guests are always happy.
Pros
employee discount is great
Cons
really long shifts, low quality of life.
Worst Restaurant Corporation to work for..
Server (Former Employee) –  NorthridgeJuly 29, 2013
This corporation is so worried about paying employees and managers are so worried about "labor costs" the staff is cut down to a skeleton crew. Employees on the floor (hosts, servers, busser's) expected to do 3 positions. Pantry cooks are expected to make pizza, soups salads and desserts for 20 tables nearly impossible ticket times are high not to mention stressful for the pantry cook.Servers are slammed with tables one after another, managers do not help and expect perfect service. There service standards and steps to take with each table and servers are secret shopped and this is difficult to accomplish when handling 9 tables and servers are fired if standards are not met. Landrys Corporation wants to turn tables and would rather pack as many people in with limited amount of staff to save a dollar costing the guests experience. Unprofessional management often they say inappropriate things to employees and communication, teamwork and leadership is lacking. Servers feel verbally harassed and threatened at times.Management is quick to throw servers under the bus even if the food problem was a kitchen error. This was the general feeling among employees as being overworked and unappreciated. The restaurant I worked for was constantly running out of supplies again to save "money." Dishwasher doesn't clean dishes properly constantly wiping off glasses. The location I worked at in Southern California had rats and the management instead of calling EcoLab decided to handle things themselves making the problem even worse. After multiple tables saw the rat problem the management then  more... decided to take care of things with professional help. Most of the managers had no customer service and were willing to let guests leave if they were upset and not come back without resolving the situation. A few managers would come in and out who cared about the guest experience. They remolded the restaurant and I would constantly get comments about how horrible it looks and how they should have left it the way it was. By far one of the worst restaurants I have worked for. Run horribly, no support and no benefits.  less
Good for quick money or moving up
Head Trainer/Bartender (Current Employee) –  Myrtle Beach, SCJanuary 3, 2013
Not good for a long term server/bartender position. Terrible benefits and no raises.
worst company in america to work for
manage,serv,host,bus,dishwasher,cook,cleaner (Former Employee) –  serverJuly 24, 2012
Landry's is absolutely terrible. They are penny pinchers and end up ruining every company that they take over. It's a JOKE, dont do it. Landry's threats the management teams, over works them, and they are very dis-organized. All around I would rate Landry's with an F.
Pros
you only work when the restaurants are busy, so about 2 hrs per shift.
Cons
if your a manager expect to do every job in the restaurant and work 80+ hours per week.
Great Restaurant to work for, so professional.
Food & Beverage Controller (Current Employee) –  Anaheim, CASeptember 13, 2014
Very professional place to work for, they only hire the best in all departments. Everyone works hard and are happy to be there.

Cleaning and prepping in the morning to be ready for opening. Always ordering fresh foods daily for our customers. Everything is top of the line.

Management know what they are doing, and they do it very well.
Culture of Landry's and Upper Management
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 12, 2013
The most unprofessional upper management and liars ever seen in 20+ years in the business. During recruitment, they were extremely cordial and then, it's chaos. Their reputation is a disaster when talking to recruiters throughout the United States. Should have asked more questions before working for this dysfunctional outfit.
Pros
nothing
Cons
fear tactics and constant changes; upper management are idiots.
Unfriendly environment
Server (Former Employee) –  ColoradoJuly 18, 2014
Working for a Landry's restaurant, the environment was terrible. The manager was in a terrible mood all the time, he acted as though anything bad that happened was the servers' fault. The company as a whole didn't seem to care about their employees or their well-being. I would get called off at least 2 of my shifts a week, making no money. The company seemed to also only care about getting themselves more money. The point system they have in place is also terrible. If you had one bad week, it would mess you up for months at a time. I definitely suggest considering other options before working for this very, very corporate company.
Pros
good coworkers
Cons
grumpy managers, no money, selfish company
If you fit the mold, you'll go far.
Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 4, 2015
This company definitely has a type of person that they prefer to hire as management.
Terrible company
SALES EXECUTIVE, SERVER, BUSSER (Former Employee) –  USAOctober 16, 2012
No human resource department that is competent enough to take care of employee needs. Management is overworked. You are only allowed about 2-3 hours per shift. They send you home without notice. They could careless if you got hurt on the job. I WANT TO QUIT.
Cons
they make you pay for food that isn't even prepared for you.

2.9