Lakeland College Employee Reviews

Great hour selection!
Lifeguard/Swim Instructor (Former Employee) –  Vermilion, AB28 September 2017
At a in-service you are able to pick and chose your hours. This works really well if you are in school at time of employment. Training is also done at his time to make sure you are up to date.
Pros
Hours and training
Cons
Older facility
Amazing Experience
Program Head Agribusiness, Agricultural Business (Former Employee) –  Vermilion, AB13 September 2017
An institution with numerous talented and passionate people. Has issues around culture like any other large post secondary, however, the small nature of the school allows for more freedom.
Very fun and interesting
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Vermilion, AB25 April 2017
I was left to run research projects for Lakeland College and afforded a lot of trust and freedom.
I was able to take part in a lot of interesting projects and often it didn't feel like work at all.
Good
Sanitary Engineer (Current Employee) –  Vermilion, AB11 March 2017
Part time job cleaning before class in the morning. Nice enough boss and can customize my hours. For a cleaning job the pay was decent, supplies are provided and it's a 2 minute walk from home.
Pros
customize hours
Cons
janitorial work
Great job with fun people
Residential Assistant (Current Employee) –  Lloydminster, AB8 March 2017
Great place to work. The people that work here are a mixture of young and old and makes for a great workplace. There is always something new you can learn from them.
Pros
union
Cons
salary/wage
Great Staff and Nice Campus
Summer Student Landscaper (Former Employee) –  Vermilion, AB28 February 2017
I enjoyed working under the bosses at Lakeland. They were understanding and helpful. The hours and work at Lakeland were good too. I enjoyed the time I worked there.
Great work environment with excellent people to work with, and plenty of opportunities for unique and engaging work.
Trades Summer Student (Current Employee) –  Vermilion, AB11 August 2016
My time with Lakeland College has been excellent. Working in the trades department has allowed me to get some basic knowledge of multiple different trades including Electrical and Welding.
Productive and use of rec facilities
Security Guard - Certified (Current Employee) –  Vermilion, AB6 May 2016
I walk about 5 miles in a shift. I deal with drinking students so I learn to be patient and non-judgemental.
I seldom associate with management as I work nights and supervisors have the day shift. My co-workers are a fun and supportive bunch. The hardest part of my job is to convince drunk students that it is time to stop the party. The most enjoyable part of my job is the interaction between myself and the students.
Pros
Free use of recreational facilities after shifts
Cons
Long hours on my feet in steel toed boots.
Interesting place to work
Environmental Sciences Lab Technician (Current Employee) –  Vermilion, AB3 May 2016
Enjoyed the people and the everyday challenges that kept each day fun and interesting. Always an atmosphere of learning which allowed me to become better at my job.
Creative, energetic, Gratifying
Peer Tutor (Former Employee) –  Lloydminster, Ab, Canada4 November 2015
Taught students to help them to achieve good marks in exams. Hardest part was to make them understand the complex formula's of cost accounting and intermediate accounting. But was able to succeed by showing patience and explaining them in easy to understand terms.I learnt how to motivate students so that they could excel in their mid terms and this job helped me to enhance my social skills.
Pros
Inner satisfaction
Great place to learn and be motivated, and great work life balance
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Lloydminster12 May 2015
Great place to learn and get motivated, and great work life balance, and i really like the staff i work with its much more important for me to recognize things and appreciate the work which i find in almost all staff to appreciate small things we do.
Fine Institute
Director, Lakeland Enterprises (Former Employee) –  Lloydminster, AB9 May 2015
Great place to work in the post secondary environment. Staff is very unified in their goals of providing the best education possible
Carpentry Instructor (Current Employee) –  Alberta12 December 2014
8-4:30 buisy days I have really enjoyed working for Lakeland college great staff and administration. The interactions with the staff are always professional and positive.
Exceptional workplace
HOUSEKEEPER (Former Employee) –  Vermilion, AB10 October 2014
Room booking, cleaning of rooms and entire building, premises.
Enjoyable with good people
Athletic Funds Development Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Lloydminster, AB20 July 2014
Approaching companies or individuals for sponsorship
Cultivation
Proposals/ Ask
Stewardship
Raisers Edge

Co- workers are great people
Pros
Great people
Cons
Long Hours
Fast paced work environment
Dairy Unit Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Vermilion Alberta2 December 2013
Typical day consisted of caring for the calves as well as cows, treating sick animals, feeding and performimg routine maintnance on equiptment. I learnedhow to keep proper treatment records and how to perform Artificial Insemination for strict breeding records. The hardest part of this job was dealing with all the breakdowns and having limited help to fix these problems before they got worse. I enjoyed being aroung the livestock amd managing all the records for these animals to ensure they were all up to date and given equal care/treatment as stated by the animal welfar guidelines
Pros
Working with livestock, machinery
Cons
Strict Guide lines/budget
Great Team environment
Assistant to Dean (Current Employee) –  Lloydminster, AB4 November 2013
I really enjoy working with my team, we are supported by the Dean of our department and we all pull in together and foster that supportive, team player atmosphere.
My day at work varies from a range of duties from supporting our 5 full time faculty, or our 4 program coordinators or the 75 full time students and we also have clients walking in for programs. Overall my job is rewarding.
Pros
Supportive team
In theory very desirable place to work but too many problems with upper level managememt causes confusion.
Lab Tech  (Current Employee) –  Vermilion, AB24 May 2013
My job required performing duties as requested by my supervisors. The work itself was enjoyable. Some of the requests required parts, equipment or services we did not have. This made quick response difficult when they had not made decisions soon enough. Lack of direction from upper management made some decisions extremely difficult. These were new programs and confusion was a regular obstacle. Almost everyone I worked with did their best with what they were given. College procedures were cumbersome and the hardest thing to get used to. Comradery with fellow staff members made coming to work enjiyable. I would have enjoyed staying at job but budget cuts caused my position to be eliminated.
Pros
casual working atmosphere and flexible hours
Cons
Dealing with bureaucracy