Lakehead University Employee Reviews

Environmental Laboratory
Internship (Former Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ON10 June 2017
Typical lab day used to be busy and mine while i learned lots of new machines that we used each day protocol i learned, how to purify DNA, RNA and also PCR procedures. work culture and work management was very good and well managed by the supervisor. hardest part of the job was sometime if supervisor left lab for some important work and i had trouble with some machine or procedure. and i had to figure it out on my own, some time it took me little longer but i usually figures it out by myself. team work was the most enjoyable part and actually applying my knowledge from lecture component was the most fun for me.
Wonderful work environment, great management, helpful colleagues
Senior Manager (Former Employee) –  Technical Services1 May 2017
A major institute in the region. A typical day would be to ensure all services are up and running. Also, following up on various projects and their progress. People are generally helpful but some employees have complacency tendencies (that is due to the isolation of Thunder Bay). Advantages are you get to meet with experts from all walks of life and thus the learning opportunities and exposure is enormous.
Pros
Learning, close proximity of city etc
Cons
Relative isolation of Thunder Bay, Complacent nature of employees
Productive workplace with friendly workers
Laboratory Technician (Former Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ON7 April 2017
Absolutely loved it here! Super flexible schedule, just call in if you got an exam coming up and can not make it to work. Friendly environment and approachable employees.
good school to study in
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ON22 February 2017
sufficient support, friendly staff, I gained leadership skill and become more organized and goal oriented.
The hardest part of the job would be preparing the proper material for the tutorial class.
Great place to work. The only drawback is the geographical location of Thunder Bay.
Senior Manager (Former Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ON8 February 2017
Good friendly people as well as great hours. The pay and benefits was good. Different learning experiences everyday.
Lots of opportunities present if you are efficient and effective worker.
Heirarchy of the departments needs to be worked on, but the overall environment was progressive and willing to move forward. Example is the Email Solution provided through Google which saved the institution's hard to come- by - funds immensely.
I would greatly appreciate the exposure to technology in the Technical Services department.
I would say the biggest initial challenge was dealing with the complacent attitude of the individuals (which diminished as they gained confidenceinthemselves and their skill set).
Pros
Excellent work Environment, the daily commute
Cons
Physical distances from other businesses
Productive work space
Full Time Student (Current Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ON19 April 2016
A good school with mid level to good profs and excellent work spaces for all types of work solo or group. Hardest part for me as a transfer student is having my credits recognized as prerequisites for my classes. I don't interact with other students in my program as I find it distracting to be around younger people unless they are as level headed and open minded as I am.
Nice University for fundamental and advanced education
Graduate Assistant/Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ON9 April 2016
The most enjoyable part of graduate assisting is teaching undergraduate students their lectures and tutorials. It is a good chance that you can communicate with lots of students and come across all kinds of questions. This is really a challenge, but it is definitely practical.
Great work for a student
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ON9 March 2016
It is a good environment to work in. The hours are flexible and the professors are professional.
10 to 15 hours a week to grade assignments.
Proctor for examinations is also part of the job.
great work atmosphere
Poll Clerk (Former Employee) –  Orillia, ON12 February 2016
co-workers were great
fun environment
loved to be able to talk to so many different people
management was very nice
i was able to increase my communication skills
Fun Workplace
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ON26 November 2015
I really like to opportunity the Lakehead University gives me. I am job seeking at this time. Lakehead University gives me financial support at this time which is really appreciated.
Pros
Cultral Showcase
Cons
less hours
A lot of microcosms - Do your research about your particular group
various (Former Employee) –  thunder bay18 June 2015
For staff:
LU has many interests, and it is hard to know which one is most important. For instance, you may think you are proposing a win-win solution to help student programs, but the decision makers need to consider education, certification, student programs, multicultural, unions, partnerships, etc. It may be hard to pioneer your vision. May I suggest you accept your employment offer only if they give you the power to do your job from the beginning.
I imagine labour positions are ok.

For Students:
Grad Students, think twice. Even if you cannot relocate to another uni to do your degree. I think 2/3 of every grad student I spoke to has been severely affected by LU's administration. Bad support, poor promises of funding or supervision, etc. has caused students to lose years or $1000s. Interview 5 existing students before accepting your offer.
fun and easy going
Associate -Donor Events (Former Employee) –  orillia on2 May 2015
An office job with fun and supportive staff. Team based atmosphere with opportunities to work on individual tasks as well.
Productive and oriented work place
Graduate assistant (Former Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ON5 March 2015
peaceful and productive as well as enjoyable workplace. I earned a very good teaching experience and communication skills. I got my master degree and worked as an assistant professor.
Autonomia e bom suporte para se trabalhar na Universidade
Estagiário (Former Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ON4 February 2015
Na Universidade, o professor responsável pela pesquisa sempre deu suporte para esclarecimento e auxílios. Em um Domingo, um equipamento funcionava inaquadamente, prejudicando o funcionamento natural do sistema, e ele se dispôs a me ajudar na manutenção deste, mesmo com outros compromissos pessoais.
Decent coworkers but management is disorganized
Research Assistant - Internship (Former Employee) –  Orillia, ON26 January 2015
I learned a lot scientifically from my internship, and I am grateful for the opportunity, but it would have been better if they offered me some sort of deal with room and board. I had to move 3 hours from my hometown, find an apartment (which I couldn't afford), and show up for work within 3 days or I'd miss out on the job. It also took 6 weeks to pay me my first pay cheque.

For this commitment, I was only offered minimum wage, part time (35 hours weekly) with no chance of extra hours or overtime. I was also told mid way through my contract that I would not be paid for the 2 weeks of the holiday break.

Everything just seemed very rushed. The management cared more about themselves then about helping me out with this 'opportunity'. I could go on for hours about the broken management but I'll just leave it here.
Pros
Learned lots, cool coworkers
Cons
Low wage, short term contract
good
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ON7 November 2014
great place
learned how to tutor
good management
great coworkers
teaching
teachning
Neat
Marker (Former Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ON12 August 2014
I enjoyed grading material that was relevant to my degree. I would recommend to any junior/senior student.
excellent people and place to work
Mechanic 3, Plumber/ HVAC (Current Employee) –  Thunder Bay, Ontariio24 April 2014
work on a smooth scale, not too rushed, well managed with staff on site.
Pros
excellent benifits
Cons
none so far
a good university to study
MSc-Management (Former Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ON18 February 2014
i loved my program, Master of science in Management,
i would recommend to other people
Enjoyable
Evolutionary Biology Intern (Former Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ON17 September 2013
The professor I worked for was very knowledgeable and I learn a lot from working for him. Would recommend this job to anyone looking for work while studying.