Lakehead University Employee Reviews

great work atmosphere
Poll Clerk (Former Employee) –  Orillia, ON12 February 2016
co-workers were great
fun environment
loved to be able to talk to so many different people
management was very nice
i was able to increase my communication skills
Nice University for fundamental and advanced education
Graduate Assistant/Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ON9 April 2016
The most enjoyable part of graduate assisting is teaching undergraduate students their lectures and tutorials. It is a good chance that you can communicate with lots of students and come across all kinds of questions. This is really a challenge, but it is definitely practical.
Great work for a student
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ON9 March 2016
It is a good environment to work in. The hours are flexible and the professors are professional.
10 to 15 hours a week to grade assignments.
Proctor for examinations is also part of the job.
Decent coworkers but management is disorganized
Research Assistant - Internship (Former Employee) –  Orillia, ON26 January 2015
I learned a lot scientifically from my internship, and I am grateful for the opportunity, but it would have been better if they offered me some sort of deal with room and board. I had to move 3 hours from my hometown, find an apartment (which I couldn't afford), and show up for work within 3 days or I'd miss out on the job. It also took 6 weeks to pay me my first pay cheque.

For this commitment, I was only offered minimum wage, part time (35 hours weekly) with no chance of extra hours or overtime. I was also told mid way through my contract that I would not be paid for the 2 weeks of the holiday break.

Everything just seemed very rushed. The management cared more about themselves then about helping me out with this 'opportunity'. I could go on for hours about the broken management but I'll just leave it here.
Pros
Learned lots, cool coworkers
Cons
Low wage, short term contract
A lot of microcosms - Do your research about your particular group
various (Former Employee) –  thunder bay18 June 2015
For staff:
LU has many interests, and it is hard to know which one is most important. For instance, you may think you are proposing a win-win solution to help student programs, but the decision makers need to consider education, certification, student programs, multicultural, unions, partnerships, etc. It may be hard to pioneer your vision. May I suggest you accept your employment offer only if they give you the power to do your job from the beginning.
I imagine labour positions are ok.

For Students:
Grad Students, think twice. Even if you cannot relocate to another uni to do your degree. I think 2/3 of every grad student I spoke to has been severely affected by LU's administration. Bad support, poor promises of funding or supervision, etc. has caused students to lose years or $1000s. Interview 5 existing students before accepting your offer.
Fun Workplace
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ON26 November 2015
I really like to opportunity the Lakehead University gives me. I am job seeking at this time. Lakehead University gives me financial support at this time which is really appreciated.
Pros
Cultral Showcase
Cons
less hours
I loved the environment - the pace.
Communications Assistant - one year contract. (Former Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ON15 October 2012
It was an honour for me to take this contract for the one year that the Office of Communications went through a huge transition. It was decided to split the department into two distinctly different departments, namely: Marketing Support and Media Relations. The reorganization required the best from me, handling all the nuances this huge endeavour would present. Once accomplished, it became apparent that the particular office dynamics would not be a healthy environment for me to remain. However, when pressed from all sides I remained principled, worked with integrity, and remained well able to handle the daily stresses of each new day.
Pros
working in an environment where education is a priority.
Cons
very little support or communication from fellow staff members leaving me to work in a vacuum.
good
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ON7 November 2014
great place
learned how to tutor
good management
great coworkers
teaching
teachning
excellent people and place to work
Mechanic 3, Plumber/ HVAC (Current Employee) –  Thunder Bay, Ontariio24 April 2014
work on a smooth scale, not too rushed, well managed with staff on site.
Pros
excellent benifits
Cons
none so far
a good university to study
MSc-Management (Former Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ON18 February 2014
i loved my program, Master of science in Management,
i would recommend to other people
fun and easy going
Associate -Donor Events (Former Employee) –  orillia on2 May 2015
An office job with fun and supportive staff. Team based atmosphere with opportunities to work on individual tasks as well.
Productive and oriented work place
Graduate assistant (Former Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ON5 March 2015
peaceful and productive as well as enjoyable workplace. I earned a very good teaching experience and communication skills. I got my master degree and worked as an assistant professor.
Enjoyable
Evolutionary Biology Intern (Former Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ON17 September 2013
The professor I worked for was very knowledgeable and I learn a lot from working for him. Would recommend this job to anyone looking for work while studying.
Nice place to work.
Faculty of Engineering (Former Employee) –  Thunder Bay, On26 August 2012
GA job for Master student.

Tutoring for 3rd year engineering students.
Prepare and teach laboratory sessions.
Supervise tests and examinations.
Mark assignments and test papers.
Learning experience.
Teaching Assistant and Student Researcher (Former Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ON19 June 2012
I was a teaching assistant for undergraduate students while doing my Masters degree.
Neat
Marker (Former Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ON12 August 2014
I enjoyed grading material that was relevant to my degree. I would recommend to any junior/senior student.
Was a good experience to me
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ON26 May 2013
Everything worked out good while I volunteered at the Lakehead
Autonomia e bom suporte para se trabalhar na Universidade
Estagiário (Former Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ON4 February 2015
Na Universidade, o professor responsável pela pesquisa sempre deu suporte para esclarecimento e auxílios. Em um Domingo, um equipamento funcionava inaquadamente, prejudicando o funcionamento natural do sistema, e ele se dispôs a me ajudar na manutenção deste, mesmo com outros compromissos pessoais.