Lafarge Canada Employee Reviews

I have been given a lot of opportunity in different division
Superintendent (Former Employee) –  Jansen, SK10 January 2018
I set up the daily pours and batched when needed specializing in high strength concrete and on site meetings everyday .I learned more batching skills and how to interact with clients on a higher scale .we stated in camp and security was very high .I was a superintendent and was very close to upper management .The workplace culture was high in safety and quality control.The hardest part of the job was making sure all employees followed rules and proper paper work for company standards and site requirements .The most enjoyable part was the completion of our contract and being a part of the project .
Pros
Playing a part in a large scale project
Cons
Trying to keep a solid employee base
Great place to work if you’re willing to play the game!
Dispatcher/Customer Service, scale attendant (Former Employee) –  Lower Mainland, BC5 January 2018
To advance at Lafarge(lower mainland aggregates) you need to be ‘in the club’ or have the right last name. You’re just a number to such a big corporation, you have a few people that care but they leave knowing that it’s better Elsewhere, the people that are left and the new hires in management don’t seem to really care, cutthroat and people like to throw others under the bus. They don’t see the work that is done by the good workers, reward the ones that are in the club. Don’t work for the lower mainland aggregates!
Good Company
QC (Former Employee) –  Calgary5 January 2018
Lots of hours and good pay.

Lots of different jobs and they like to move people up through the company.

Lots of room for promotion.

Would recommend Lafarge
good job with great pay
Mixer truck driver (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB14 November 2017
When its busy there is opportunity for a lot of overtime but the work is not year round which causes the employees lower on the seniority list to look elsewhere for winter work
Lafarge
Employee Pension and Retirement Specialist (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON25 October 2017
I have worked for Lafarge for 12 years and this was one of the
best companies throughout my employment. This company
gears towards excellence, compensation and benefits are excellent.
This company makes their employees feel like they belong. This
company helps developed and improvement their employees. Their focus on developing employees is great. This company invest and recognizes their .employees. I will highly recommend working for Lafarge
Pros
Opportunity to learn lots and also work balance
Cons
some long hours but you get compensated
Disorganized and Poorly Managed
Environmental Engineer (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC2 October 2017
Managers are very rude and treat everyone poorly. Many unhappy workers and many more already left because of their inability to manage.

Do not waste your time with them. They also have been through too many mergers and they constantly let people go.
Pros
Cons
Poor Culture
Have a backup plan.
Ready-Mix Concrete Driver (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK26 September 2017
When it's busy, it's great, the minute that changes and they don't need you, your nothing to them. Little to no room for advancement. Have concerns (like making enough hours to survive), all you get is "my hands are tied, there's nothing I can do to help you" type anwers.
good springboard
Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB17 September 2017
Lafarge is very divisional. Construction is tough and fast pace. Management is young and progressive. There is talk of work/ life balance but corporate budgetary constraints still result in pushing the staff to the limits. This could easily be solved with more help. Coworkers and field staff are great and there is a lot of comroadery. There is a changing of the guard from old-school construction mentality to the new school mentality. The benefits are top notch and there is lots of room for advancement. It is extremely corporate and as a result, good luck working through IT issues.
The biggest company I ever worked for.....
Batcher/ Plant Operator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB30 August 2017
Lafarge has lots of good opportunity for someone to grow in for a life time. I meet a lot of good people that work there and still keep in contact with them. I enjoyed everything about working for Lafarge.
They don't do what they say
Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB21 August 2017
They always said they have no money. People are in management that should not be there! Management needs to treat their employees with more respect as they sit in their offices and joke around about their employees. I was very disappointed with this company.
Great Company
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB10 August 2017
I enjoyed my time with this great company. The people and the management team was great. Lots of fun things for employees and for the company. But since I left and Lafarge has merged it may be different.
Pros
Company events
Cons
Very hard work, and extremely long hours
Assistant Superintendent (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON27 July 2017
Great pay, but expect to literally live at the batch plant. A typical day, I would wake up at 4:30am, to open the plant at 5am, and not be home until after 10pm, 6 days a week!
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Long hours, highly confrontational and aggressive atmosphere
Good place to work.
Manufacturing Manager (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC21 July 2017
Solid company, steady business. Great opportunities to learn and develop skills. Good work culture with good pay and benefits. The matrix organization can be challenging at times.
Pretty cool place to work
Quality Control Technician (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON19 July 2017
Everything about this company is great. The manager is amazing, she's not around much but she has a great attitude and is very helpful whenever there's a problem. The only problems I had were that when production was slow I had nothing to do.
Pros
Overall good pay
Cons
Repetitive
Great place to work and learn
Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB13 June 2017
- Always given opportunity to learn about concrete technology and construction
- Management was good
- Great job culture with great co workers
- Good hours
Disorganized, long hours, awful corporate culture
Finance (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON9 May 2017
Very centralized organization that gets bullied by the head office in Zurich. Disorganized to the point where work-life balance has diminished as well corporate culture. Over and over again I hear "Use to be fun and exciting before the merger"
Pros
Cons
Disorganized, no work-life balance, no culture
une entreprise ou fidelité est de mise
Directeur logistique Québec (Former Employee) –  Québec, QC23 April 2017
j'y ai travailler prêt de 35 année ou l objectif en était un de satisfaction client autant interne qu'externe.
que de beau explois!
Pros
réalisation personnelle multiple
Cons
très forte effervescence sur de longue heure de travaille
worried more about saving money than workers
Lead hand, (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB10 April 2017
Been working here over 20 years, was great for many years, but since Holcim has taken over, many cut backs even with safety. upper management tends to try and run off older more experienced workers for cheap labour, that will save money, but will cost more in the long run. Much needed maintenance is being shrugged off to save some dollars, but will bite them in the butt in the long run.
Pros
Can't really think of any lately
Cons
Unexpected managers fresh out of school
Maintenance Welder (Former Employee) –  Bow River Calgary10 April 2017
Management was good and supportive.There was great camaraderie within the team I worked with .Management always showed appreciation for a job well done.
Pros
Pizza at the monthly safety meetings
Cons
Hard physical work
Fast paced, long hours
Concrete Finisher (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB10 April 2017
Early mornings, late evenings. Working out in the open fresh air, feeling a sense of accomplishment after a hard days work. Concrete waits for no man, so you learn to work quickly and get it right the first time.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Lafarge Canada. Our community is ready to answer.