Lafarge Canada

Lafarge Canada Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Enjoyable and competative
Redi Mix Operator (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, ABJanuary 23, 2016
Cons: can have some extremely long hours
Mix and deliver concrete to various locations in and around Fort McMurray. I enjoyed working there but had to leave because of lack of work available.
Has its ups and downs but generally a good place to work.
Systems Technician (Current Employee), Brookfield, NSJanuary 6, 2016
Pros: Not bad benefits and wage for the region and very close to home.
Cons: Management lacks somewhat in planning and coordination of jobs.
A nice small plant (less than 70 employees) to work in which gives a good level of knowing everyone including management. All good people in their own ways. Easy to work with.
Older plant (50 years) so a lot of problem areas but there has been a fair amount of upgrading and updating of equipment over the years that has included some newer technologies.
The job of Systems Technician can not be described as greatly challenging as there is still a lot of older gear and as such more often than not, the major number of problems that arise are with the older stuff. Some challenge is present just not as much as I had gotten used to with my prevous employer.
Poorly Governed by Ineffective Management
Sales Manager (Former Employee), Langley, BCDecember 20, 2015
Pros: Paycheck
Cons: Mismanagement, Ineffcetive HR System which only does what the top guys ask
The Western Canada division is riddled with poorly appointed managers who have been chosen based on their connection or by showing blind obedience for the top guys. Low morale at work is an everyday business and makes it difficult to achieve anything other than just a paycheck. For anyone with passion and pride in their work, this is not a right environment.

Putting aside what the company shills and HR have posted here as positive reviews, you can see that this is a common problem as there are many references to mismanagement in this company.

The good reputation achieved in previous years by the conscientious managers is fading, as they leave one by one; and this is fully evident by looking at the unusually high turn over in this market area and the respective business units.
Good people to work with
Payroll Job Costing/Accounts Payable (Former Employee), Winnipeg, MBDecember 15, 2015
Daily I would enter payroll hours upload and approve them. I would also make PO's, make and generate invoices. Check on vendor payments.
Great Experience
Purchasing Assistant (Current Employee), Richmond, BCDecember 10, 2015
Pros: Great office environment, Team Work
I have gained a lot of new knowledge in many divisions at Lafarge Canada. Purchasing Parts to understanding them where they are used to run the Cement Plant. Receptionist gave me the opportunity to build my Customer Service at a different level from my past experience. Always eager to learn and excel at every post I was privileged to be assigned to.
Not what you might you think
HR Coordinator (Current Employee), Calgary, ABNovember 14, 2015
Pros: Hard Working Men & Women who Run the Business
Cons: Indeffcetive, Unjust & Disrespectful Management - No Opportunity for Promotion, Unless you are Highly Connceted - No Job Security
The company has many good employees who are great to work with. Most of the workers and supervisors are hard working people and treat their coworkers and customers well.

However, the top management is not respectful to the employees and treats mid level managers, supervisors and employees as numbers. In the end of the day, depending on one of these guys' opinion, your fate can change in a matter of seconds and you could lose your job or get demoted; regardless of your length of service and good performance. This is a culture which is not likely to change and makes the work conditions increasingly difficult, as there is no appetite for change from the Presidents and CEOs side.

Also, the lack of long term planning for the business, causes unnecessary, pricey and constant reorganizations, which affect workers' jobs continuously.

If you are a knowledgeable and hard working person, there are many better companies out there that value you and your services, the way you deserve it.
Fun work environment
Heath & Safety Administration (Former Employee), Saskatoon, SKOctober 26, 2015
Lafarge was supportive in providing training in all areas possible and promoted advanced learning in areas where improvement could be made.
positive
Health & Safety Employee Rep (Current Employee), Mississauga, ONSeptember 14, 2015
Pros: free lunches, bonus
Great place to work. If you work hard and pull your weight, you will be recognized.
Fun place to work. Great people to work with. Great safety culture as well.
Sales Coordinator
Sales Coordinator & Receptionist (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABJuly 28, 2015
Pros: Free Lunches
Cons: Inexperienced Managers
When I started at Lafarge we had a great team. The work life balance was average, but you felt like you were part of a team. I learned new skills and enjoyed the company events like the Employee Golf Tournament and Christmas Party.
probuctive and great place to work
confinsher / form setter (Former Employee), calgary, abJuly 19, 2015
Pros: the workers i work with
Cons: long hours
I'm very hard working and show up on time. do my work as fast as I can. willing to work long hours till the job is done. had great co-workers working with me . I learn how to do the job fast and right. spending most of the day kneeing beside the forms the hardest part. most enjoyable part good people to work with.
good work culture and friendly team work
Project Specialist (Former Employee), TorontoJuly 17, 2015
We start the day with a review of our tool box, schedule work according to project plan. Work are done as a team under a team lead, and under a foreman.Management meetings are held bi-weekly were we present performance report. The hardest part of the work is during initiation when we are trying to develop the project plan. The most enjoyable part is when we meet our project objective
New Bosses
Administrative Assistant / Billing Coordinator (Former Employee), EdmontonJuly 10, 2015
If you like change it's a good place to work, but over the 13 years I had 11 new bosses which is tiring having to prove yourself and adjust to a new personality and work habits.

Though I loved the challenges in the work I did.
This company was a good place to work.
loader operator - plant operator (Former Employee), Abbotsford BCMarch 4, 2015
This company was good to work for. Had a lot of good people there. I was very young when I started working there, the people that I worked with helped me improve my work skills a lot. I loaded a lot of trucks and worked feeding gravel in to the wash plant. I all so stockpiled the gravel that came off the wash plant. The most enjoyable part of the job was the friendship of the workers.
HARD WORK
(AZ) Concrete Truck Operato (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABFebruary 9, 2015
Efficient company, long hours working some weekend work and out of city limits. Focused on safety and indepent and team work. enjoyed summer BBQ
Great Opportunity
E-One Project Billing Analyst (Former Employee), Concord, ONJanuary 9, 2015
I worked at Lafarge on a contract basis. I enjoyed working here because I learned new computer programs, met some wonderful people, and was able to travel to other Lafarge locations in Canada.
Safety conscious & challenging place to work
Project Engineer (Current Employee), Calgary, ABJanuary 2, 2015
Pros: great team to work; modern construction facilities & modern plant technology
Cons: winter working conditions; wind delays, short work days during winter, no real estate available, etc
Lafarge Canada is a very good place to work with. However, challenges are limited and once your job is completed there is no career planning or future.

During the project it was very challenging for construction with many restraints & constraints related to real estate availability, storage of parts, winter working conditions, etc. The management & team was great to work with to complete the job. Everyday was a new challenge for construction but we always learned something new and gained experience out of it.
Production Supervisor (Yard) (Former Employee), Woodstock, ONDecember 28, 2014
My typical day at work would be going in and see what needed to be done and then organizing work crews to do the jobs . At this job i learned leardedship skills and how to delagate .The management and my co-workers were both understanding and helpful.The hardest part of the job was to make sure every job was carried out safely as most areas were hard to get at.But most enjoyable and rewarding part was at the end of day and ever one was safe and sound.
Excellent place to work
Heavy Equipment Operator (Current Employee), Edmonton AlbertaDecember 3, 2014
Good job excellent place to work , great safety standards. all employees are as team to make the daily job a safe and happy workplace
Fun work environment
Labourer (Former Employee), EdmontonSeptember 9, 2014
Physically demanding, long hours but fun atmosphere. Management is a little unorganized.
Excellent employer
Financial Accountant (Former Employee), Toronto.ONJuly 19, 2014
Pros: excellent work culture
Cons: nothing
1)Excellent work culture