Position: Production Manager
Location: Bath Cement Pant
Supervisor’s Title: Plant Manager
This position's main objectives is to manage the Production Department by planning production schedules, optimizing equipment utilization and maximizing quality cement production, safely, within budgeted costs.
The coordination, scheduling and supervision of the Production Department, with one staff supervising an hourly workforce of 25 is one of the major challenges of this position. This combined operation commences at the reclamation of raw materials in the storage hall, proceeds through material preparation and processing, ending in the bulk shipping of cement by truck, rail, and Great Lakes vessels. The processing is carried out on a continuous basis seven days per week.
A second major challenge is the coordination of the ordering and purchasing of raw materials, refractory, grinding media, kiln solid fuels to meet budgeted production while maintaining adequate inventories.
The incumbent is responsible for determining changes in production and maintaining schedules to meet budgeted forecast shipments.
The incumbent is responsible for, through the Quarry Coordinator and working closely with the quality manager, the management of the plant’s raw material requirements, including traditional materials such as limestone, sand and iron, and also alternate raw materials.
The continual training of production personnel on all aspects of the operation and the implementation of the requisite Production organization to best meet the needs of the plant also lies within the incumbents responsibilities.
Liaison with other department heads to ensure that the safety, maintenance, process, quality, environment, and administrative aspects of the operation pertaining to the Production Department meet the plant objectives.
The incumbent proposes to the Plant Manager modifications or capital expenditures in order to maintain and improve productivity, plant working conditions and safety.
A prime challenge of the function is the maintenance of a sound working relationship with hourly employees and the Union executive within the confines of the New Collective Agreement in place Dec 2012. The incumbent holds meetings with Union and executive members as required on a day to day basis, and along with other management, aids the Plant Manager by attending more formal Union/Management meetings. Challenge will be the continuous optimization of the production department efficiency
The incumbent is responsible for monitoring key production indexes and productivity factors.
Preparation of the annual operating budget along with other department heads, monitoring performance relative to budget by monthly comparisons of actual productions and expenditures is a further challenge of this position.
The incumbent is also responsible for preparing and updating the PIP including justification of capital requirements and corresponding action plans.
As part of the continual commitment to safety the incumbent takes a leading role in the plant safety program, working closely with other supervisors and employees.
The incumbent supervises and develops his subordinates through effective management and by implementing plant and corporate training plans.
Plant annual Budget: $50,000,000
Plant annual Capacity: 1,000,000 tonnes of cement
Production annual Budget $9,600,000
Staff direct/indirect reports: 7
Production Hourly Personnel 25
1. Production and shipment of budgeted cement quantities
2. Optimization of plant equipment and process through modification and implementation of equipment procedures and training.
3. Annual updating of the plant long-term plan, plant capital investment program and plants annual operating budget.
4. Accuracy of budgeted quantities and costs.
5. Maintain a positive and harmonious labour relations atmosphere.
6. Adherence to product quality standards.
7. Promotion and implementation of safe work practices and conditions. Ensures that monthly safety meetings are held and that Plant Safety Rules and the Occupational Health & Safety Act are followed.
8. Promotion of training of hourly personnel and of staff development through training courses, continuing education using Lafarge best practices and materials.
9. Screening control of production purchase orders, requisitions and stores issues
10. Guide and assist subordinates in the administration of the Collective Agreement, the handling of Grievances and the application of discipline.
11. Ensure that the operations of the plant are carried out in conjunction with the present environmental regulations and that the supervisors are aware of all aspects of environmental law pertaining to the operation.
- Bachelor of Engineering degree
- At least five years cement manufacturing experience.
- Excellent Knowledge of the cement technology and manufacturing process
- Excellent leadership ability and interpersonal skills with demonstrated ability to interact with plant and regional personnel.
- Ability to work on many tasks at the same time while keeping excellent organizational skills.
- Very strong computer skills.
- Strong communicator (both oral & written).
- Highly motivated with ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Demonstrated commitment to achieving organizational and personal goals.
- Proven ability to work well in a team environment (co-workers, suppliers, etc.).
- Well organized and systematic.