Summer Camp Senior Counsellors – 6 Positions
July 2nd – August 9th 6 weeks, 40 Hours/Week
Minimum Wage: $10.25/Hour
Camp location – Brampton, Ontario
Lady Ballers Camp is a not-for-profit charitable organization that develops girl-centred programs which encourages non-competitive physical, emotional and educational development. Our summer camp provides a safe space for girls to make friends, keep fit and have fun, while learning about leadership, good physical health and healthy self-image. Strong social skills and self-confidence are fostered through a range of educational, recreational, sport and creative activities.
By focusing on youth that have limited opportunity to participate in such programs due to financial constraints, our mission is to ensure every young girl has the opportunity to an enriching camp experience. We operate within an anti-oppressive framework and are committed to social change.
The Senior Camp Counsellor will work in cooperation with summer camp management and other camp staff in providing a high quality summer camp experience and ensure the health and safety of girls between the ages of 6 and 15 years.
- Implement fun, interactive and educational leadership and life-skills development activities.
- Assist in the supervision and monitoring children in their care both on and off site.
- Assist in both planning and the delivery of camp programs and activities.
- Foster an inclusive environment where all are encouraged to participate, form new relationships, learn new skills and develop self-confidence.
- Maintain daily records and report concerns related to safety, health, and behaviour.
- Reports directly to Program Manager and Camp Coordinator.
- Assist in the supervision of Junior Camp Counsellors and volunteers.
- Act as a positive role model for participants, other staff and volunteers.
- Ability to energize and generate enthusiasm in youth.
- Personally motivated, flexible, patient, positive and reliable.
- Creative in designing fun and interactive activities.
- Solid understanding of child development and ability to use positive child management skills.
- Demonstrated knowledge/understanding of effective practices and guidance related to children.
- Passionate about empowering girls from underserved communities.
Experience and Certification
- Minimum of 1 year camp or recreational program experience or other related experience working with groups of children.
- Experience or training/education in sports, arts and crafts, and recreation.
- Knowledge of and experience working and/or volunteering with community agencies.
- Completed and cleared Vulnerable Persons Sector Check, current as of date of hire.
- Current First Aid and CPR certification.
With approval of funding from Canada Summer Jobs Program, Human Resources and Skill Development Canada, Lady Ballers Camp is looking for 6 Senior Camp Counsellors. Please submit your cover letter and resume only if you qualify as a summer student. (See below for qualification criteria).
Qualifications: - Be between 15-30 years of age - Have been registered as a full-time student in the previous academic year, and intend to return to school on a full-time basis in the next academic year - Be a student in a secondary, post-secondary, vocational or technical program - Be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident or persons on whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act - Be legally entitled to work according to relevant provincial legislation and regulations - Not hold another full-time (30 or more hours) summer job during their placement - Interest in community health and working with marginalized groups - Ability to work in a team environment with diverse communities - Good typing, computer, oral and written communication skills
A police clearance letter completed within the past twelve months will be required prior to commencing employment.
Application deadline is: Tuesday, May 28, 2013
Please email you resume and cover letter
Lady Ballers Camp encourages applications from candidates who background is diverse in terms of culture, race, language, religion, sexual orientation, and ability. We thank everyone who applies but only those selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please.