Ladbrokes Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Customer Service Manager (Current Employee), LondonFebruary 2, 2016
Pros: good wages
Cons: Long hours
Long shifts and lots of overtime. there is a lot of pressure to work overtime and the company has a high staff turnover so there are always gaps in shifts which you have to fill in.
Ladbrokes
Shop manager from March 2014 (Former Employee), ChichesterFebruary 1, 2016
Pros: Football on the TV, bonus incentives
Cons: Long hours on your own
I learnt a lot in this job, I started at the bottom as a cashier. Within 5 months I got offered a management role and I took and never looked back. I had a passion everyday to get up and do my best for the company and enjoyed it. I worked very well with all members of staff and had a good time whilst working hard. The hardest part of the role were the hours. 3 or 4 times a week i would be doing a 8.00am-10-10pm and sometimes it would get tough but still enjoyed it.
productive for customers
Customer Service Manager (Current Employee), Sheffield, ENGJanuary 25, 2016
Pros: decent pay for what work is needed including going the extra mile
Cons: long hours, shift work, and mostly weekend working
arrive at the shop 20-25 minutes before open to check all the money and put the papers up and make sure that all the machines are operational and fully functional, i have learnt a lot more about the gambling industry and different emotions that people display, as i am pat of the lower level management it can be difficult to get opinions and matters heard and if they are if they get taken notice of, the best part of the job can be the people that i have worked with and can help through bad days and help with the shops buisness and any other issues that require attention, the job is a relivant easy job the hardest would be the staffing issues tha are faced with every week, the most enjoyable part of the job is sob satisfaction knowing that every aspect of the job has been completed and is always running smoothly.
Loving being treat like a piece of dirt.... NOT!!!
customer service manager (Former Employee), YorkshireJanuary 24, 2016
Pros: On quiet days you get paid to watch sport.
Cons: undervalued. Low pay. long hours working alone
Ladbrokes promise friendly fun inviting welcoming and job advancement. All of which is untrue. There's never ending pointless tasks at hand. With a never ending supply of pointless things to do. Along with babysitting fully grown adults ( who apparantly can't look after themselves) covering the endless supply of apparantly sick staff. logs, interactions, customer complaints and your market place and area managers passing their work on too. You also find yourself cleaning including fouled toilets and bathroom walls and playing the part of a coffee shop maid supplying endless tea and coffee to people who just come and sit to keep warm. The staff at ladbrokes are underpaid under valued and never receive a thanks from the management. They offer a bonus which I personally haven't received for 6 years due to not reaching unreachable targets. You will be promised advancement as you are in any company just ladbrokes don't follow through. You will be put through your paces in a very busy shop environment while being swore at and personally abused by thugs thinking their men. Iv been spat at. Had a chair thrown at me. Iv watched my gaming machines being smashed. Been scared out of my wits. But I suppose that's all down to working alone till 10p !!! Truly an undesirable place to have worked. Would not recommend to my worst enemy. All part of the ladbrokes experience I guess Pffffft ...
Awful
customer service manager (Current Employee), North EastJanuary 21, 2016
Pros: nothing
Cons: everything else
Terrible company to work for, staff are expected to run their lives by Ladbrokes, shifts constantly change to cover other people, if you refuse you are treated like your the one that is in the wrong. very long shifts (13-14 hours) with only a 1 hour break, most of the shift (8 till 12 in the morning and 5 till 10 on a night) is spent on your own due to the single manning policy. The two time periods you single man are the 2 most common times that bookmakers are robbed, so they rota you in on your own (makes sense). Company doesn't care about staff welfare when it comes to safety. your placed in a dangerous environment where you are a sitting duck for a robbery, or physical or verbal abuse from customers who are angry they've lost money.

If your single and have no social life, happy to take abuse from customers and be told off for doing things wrong by management who have no idea what a betting slip looks like this is the perfect job for you. If you have family and friends then stay well clear as you wont get to see them because Ladbrokes comes first
Different day to day
Betting office (Current Employee), customer service managerJanuary 18, 2016
Pros: Meeting new people
Cons: long hours
No 2 days in the betting industry are ever the same.
You may have one day a coach load of football supporters wanting £10/£20 etc on their team to win and then the day after or an hour later come to a group of pensioners wanting just have a 50p on a horse like at the Grand National or Royal Ascot.
In the betting industry I have leant how much of a big issue customer confidentiality is + why you are told not to disclose peoples betting habbits.
Management cann be classed as a shift manager which i am upto regional/ district/ c.e.o. management. You may be a shop manager but it does not stop at just shop level.
Hardest part of the job is when the shop is busy + the computers crash. Having to explain to your customer that you are trying to serve that they cannot have their bet is very disappointing.
The most enjoyable part of the job is when a customer comes in to have their bet checked + to be told they have a winner when they do not have a clue that their bet has has come in. This mainly happens on the Irish lottery
customer service manager
Assistant Manager (Current Employee), Aldridge, ENGJanuary 17, 2016
Pros: talk about sports with customers
Cons: Finishing late
Opening up the shop and preparing for trade. Setting targets throughout the day for myself and shop team. Interacting with customers is the best part of the job because you can give a more enjoyable experience.
The hardest part is when a customer gets aggressive and becomes violent, defusing the situation can be challenging however I've had plenty of experience in the industry where I can feel comfortable in any situation.
It's vital to have a good shop team because we can meet our targets more easily and give out the best customer service possible.
customer service manager
Customer service manager (Former Employee), NewmarketJanuary 8, 2016
i loved learnin the sports and different ways of betting to multiply small stakes into big wins, watching known runners and horse trainers and getting tips was exciting, lots of varied customer service ffrom millionaires to drunk gamblers needing security back up.
every day was different really exciting job.
Very good
Cashier, Deputy Manager, Customer Service Manager (Former Employee), London, High Street KensingtonJanuary 7, 2016
Ladbrokes offers employees very flexible working hours which is very important for working parents.Ladbrokes offers full training to all employees.
Fun workplace
Customer Service Manager (Current Employee), Cardiff, WLSJanuary 6, 2016
Pros: Get to watch sport and interact with numerous people
Cons: A lot of single manning and paper work
The average day consists of taking sports bets and having a laugh with customers with little to no problems. When it's a good day its fantastic, when it's a bad day it can be an absolute nightmare. You're working alone a lot of the time, customers can be great unless they are argumentative maybe 1 in every 2,000 you serve. Hardest part of the job is trying to be patient when you've got a full shop and management expect you to sign up new customers which can take between 5-10 minutes to the Grid account. I used to love my job, now? Not so much.
A different type of Job
CSA (Current Employee), RushdenJanuary 5, 2016
Pros: 4/5 hour days
Cons: having to relocate when someone calls in sick
When i first joined the Ladbrokes team i was excited although i had never entered a bookies before i was given the opportunity to work in one and for the most part it was good fun, i got a bit nervous with impatient customers but in time managed to get on top of that and nearly all my colleagues were helpful and likeable, i enjoyed the hours i worked and enjoyed talking to our regular customers about sports.
Customer Service Advisor (Current Employee), Newcastle upon Tyne, ENGJanuary 5, 2016
evryday was always different i never knew what to expect i enjoyed seeing new faces on a daily basis and engaging customers into conversations
productive and
customer service manager (Former Employee), West LondonJanuary 4, 2016
Pros: great sports knowledge
Cons: long hours
A typical day at work starts with organisation of resources and prioritising the tasks of the day.I have learned the great people skills and cash management.Constant training of staff and managing the labour and promoting new products.Daily co-ordination with co -workers is very important for the smooth and efficient management at work .Hardest part of the job was to deal with the rude customers and high inflow and outflow of cash and the last most enjoyable part of the job is to spend the whole day in watching and following the favourite sport and sharing the enthusiasm with customers and co-workers.
stable
Cashier/Manager (Current Employee), CardiffDecember 24, 2015
Good training
There isnt any consistency across the board in terms of management.
They are flexible
There is a lot of autonomy for shop staff
Without a doubt the worst place I've ever worked
Customer Service Manager (Former Employee), ManchesterDecember 17, 2015
Pros: Absolutely non
Cons: Long hours, no support, lack of necessary training, nasty bosses, overworked, underpaid
A typical day at work. (As a customer service manager)
Start at 8.30am but have to get there for 8am in order to complete everything you need to do for the shop to be customer ready.
Work alone until 11am earliest sometimes until 2.30pm. Trained and reminded daily that the most dangerous times of business are in the first and last hours of business, when they only rota one member of staff after knowing this.
Then proceed to encourage people with not much spare money to spend as much as possible regardless of if they win or lose. Encouraged to get younger people on the 'more addictive than crack cocaine' gaming machines.
All whilst being asked to do your own job, the police's job, social services job, a psychiatrists job and the job of anybody above you who simply cannot be bothered to do it themselves.
You will then be told to simultaneously be ready and available at the counter for any customer wishing to place a bet, be on the shop floor ready to greet the customers, in the kitchen making tea and coffee for customers, on the phone doing spot check tests on knowledge of current promotions, in the back arranging tonights marketing change and training the new member of staff you have today.
You will NEVER have time for a break but will DEFINITELY be paid an hour less each day. 13 hours later when you're shift is coming to a close you stop getting paid at 9.30pm but aren't allowed to close the doors until this time meaning the actual time you get out of the building is around 10-10.30pm.
Anybody working above you will constantly expect more from you, you will constantly – more... be grilled on your knowledge of every single thing and criticized for not being all about the 'Ladbrokes Life'.
Punished if ill because 'We don't have to hire ill people'. And they will do an intimidating visit to your home after 4 weeks to try to assess you themselves.
No perks whatsoever. No Christmas Do, oh but you do get a selection box. To share. With the other 6 colleagues in your shop.
No support whatsoever when faced with difficult, intimidating customers and no direct training on what to actually do in a robbery, which is forever impending.
Everyone ends up off sick with stress, anxiety, depression or work related illnesses. And will be constantly talked about for doing so.
By a mile the worst company to work for would not recommend to anyone.
Left there without even having a job lined up because I simply could not take any more. – less
overall its average
Customer Service Assistant (Current Employee), London, ENGDecember 16, 2015
Pros: you get tips
Cons: short working hours
a typical day at work would involve looking after the shop floor, counting money to ensure i have the right amount to give and exchange with customers, ensuring the shop floor is clean, making sure the banners are up to date in terms of the latest odds in various sports. teaming up with co-workers to deal with customers quicker, taking care of the difficult parts of the job role for that particular colleague vise versa, to ensure a quick but sufficient customer service. the hardest part of the job is being able to deal with customer complaints, some you may find to have been drinking and are telling you about situations that are going on in their life but it may be difficult to calm them down as quick as you would want to. the most enjoyable part is being able to talk to customers, keep them happy, have a laugh, especially when they profit on their bets or on the machines.
fun workplace
Customer Service Manager (Former Employee), ForfarDecember 10, 2015
Great place to work. Decent amount of hours and shift length with good days off. A lot of rules and regulations due to the strict nature of the industry. Management were okay, never saw much of them as the shop is run day to day by 4 Customer Service Managers.
Boring, Long hours
Customer Service Manager (Former Employee), Hastings, ENGDecember 6, 2015
Pros: good holiday
Cons: No bonus scheme
I worked here for a year and the hours were long and boring, the work was easy and I didn't learn much considering I was there for a year.
unlikely to recommend people
cashier (Former Employee), Bracknell/camberley/ascotDecember 3, 2015
Pros: decent wage
Cons: not enough hours
i enjoyed the first coupe of months but i was told that i would have more hours than i ended up with i was told i would be given 40 a week and ended up having 25 a week
not a good place to work
Customer Service Manager (Former Employee), Birmingham, ENGNovember 19, 2015
Pros: meeting new people on a daily basis
Cons: 15 hour days, no staff to have scheduled breaks
I used to get to the shop for 7am set everything up and then open up for 7.30am on a typical day i would finish work at 22.00pm. I was made a manager after around 2/3 months of starting this job and i also achieved my NVQ2 in customer service whilst working here, I got on with all of my co-workers and the staff that worked underneath me enjoyed their shifts with me whilst getting the job done to a brilliant standard. The hardest part of the job was the anti-social behavior from some of the customers and some of the abuse suffered. The most enjoyable part of my job was meeting and communicating with people from all aspects of life and meeting different people on a daily basis.