LA Fitness Employee Reviews

Productive and fun workplace but very long hours
Assistant General Manager (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB2 February 2018
In Sales Dept. at LA Fitness it is a revolving door as a minimum shift is 9 hours (1 unpaid hour for lunch included in there - obligatory) to 11 - hours. 5 days/ week for Sales Councils which is ok; however 6 days/ week for managers. You may feel micromanaged, if you look at it that way however I always liked the accountability aspect of that! I wish to be known as a professional that is productive 90% of the time, therefore, having management look at how I spend my time there worked for me. If you are a sleeper (the military term, not having to do with slumber) but if you like to hide and just warm a chair then you may not like it.
Pros
Independence and GREAT training. Top!
Cons
Good entry, not long term
Personal Trainer (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON23 January 2018
Shady company in terms of integrity and honesty. Money is primarily the focus over client results. It's a good entry point for personal trainers. Easy to get in, clients are handed to you, and very chill when you have no clients.
Got paid for staying in shape!
Personal Training Director (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON23 January 2018
I have always been an active person with the love to achieve the impossible. I went into this gym in order to get a membership and fell in love with the atmosphere. 2 days later I was an employee. This fitness sales driven career taught me that sales is both quick and relentless. You can do really well really quick, or find out that it is not for you just as fast. Within 3 months I achieved what most working there for more than 3 years haven't. I got my own club and was able to form it the way I felt was best for image and business.
Pros
Workout and get paid.
Cons
Long hours.
terrible management and cleanliness standards
Cleaner/Janitor (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON21 January 2018
the gym itself is a poorly managed shiza show to say the least. i was hired as a cleaner for 3 months for 13$ an hour before the minimum wage went up. the whole shower area was covered in mold from floor to ceiling. i spent 2 months underpaid for the disgusting work i did. even though i signed on for 13$ cad an hour they only thought i was worth 11.40$ cad per hour on each pay cheque for 4 pay periods, all the while i was complaining to my manager that i wasn't getting paid what i was promised. in the end i left with a formal notice and only after another 2 weeks of waiting did i finally receive my back pay. i wouldn't recommend working for them
Pros
free gym membership
Cons
laughable work enviroment
High energy, fun and exciting work place with very driven co workers
Sales (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON17 January 2018
These were some of my tasks

Prospect a diverse group of people, business to business, outside sales
Event Planning, organization and set up
Corporate Wellness and relationship building
Cover front desk administrative tasks and maintenance
Make calls and build relationships with internal clients
Give club tours, be knowledgable on promos and pricing
Sales training and self growth

The management was absolutely incredible! I've never worked with such intelligent and motivated individuals. I learned a great deal from the people within this workplace. Happy positive staff. Lot's of fun. Be ready to work hard.
Generalized work environment
Membership Counselor (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON2 January 2018
LA Fitness has been the most fantastic company that not only I've stepped foot in, but out of every company I've heard of. This doesn't just originate from the flexibility, amazing staff, fantastic environment, payment structure or benefits, but more importantly due to the fact they will recognize, promote, congratulate, isolate and embrace those that decide to work hard and persevere, and do what every it takes to achieve success.
Pros
Environment and flexibility
Cons
Payment structure is set for you to achieve money if you work hard
Just Lovely
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON20 October 2017
I really enjoyed working here , if only there was one in Manitoba probably would have transferred. I learned very much working for this company and im ready to transfer my skills
Alright part time job
Kids Club Attendant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB10 October 2017
Work hours were 8-12 and 4-8
Hardest part was being responsible of over 40 children at a time with barely any help.
The most enjoyable part of the job was when I was able to teach adolescences and children right from wrong.
Pros
only 4 hour shifts
Cons
only 4 hour shifts
Fun Place to work.. great relationship with members
CHILD SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON10 October 2017
You become a family working there.. It is a great environment that encourages health and wellness. Staff & members are wonderful :)
worst company ever
Personal Trainer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB13 September 2017
Management does not care about staff at all, it's purely profit driven. Everyone is replaceable, no lunch room, no caring. It's all about the money. Just plainly a bad company.
ok
Personal Trainer/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Burlington, ON12 September 2017
theres little workalike balance, they under pay you for what you work, great facility to workout in, but not to work for, was lied to how much money i would be making hourly first i was told 21 then 14 then i saw that it was minimum wage 11.40
Pros
eat when ever you want
Cons
extremely long days
Review
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON10 September 2017
It is a great job.
It is a hard job to do, but working with different people make the job much easier for you.
It has too much responsibility to do as well.
Productive and Fun Workplace
Assistant General Manager (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON16 August 2017
Assist General Manager in establishing a fun, safe and healthy community-focused gym culture that delivers high member satisfaction and achieves maximum profitability
Absolutely outstanding environment, with a staff that pushes you and motivates you to excel to your potential.
Master Trainer (Current Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON13 August 2017
A typical day is very high paced and training sessions require some spontaneous thinking. Great, motivating environment, that teaches you how much you have to put in order to not just be successful at what you do, but to excel at the utmost potential you have. The staff and employees are all hard working and very approachable; you really get a team friendly environment feeling here.
Pros
Great co workers
Cons
Not enough clients for full time.
productive sports culturte
Book workouts for members & Personal Trainer (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON18 July 2017
sign members into the gym
assist customers over the phones
via closing time opening times
holidays
promotional sales
call members to clear up past due payments
aswell as update payments
Don't do it
Janitor/Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON6 July 2017
My co-workers were great! And the members were amazing.
Other than that and a free gym membership there is nothing good about it.
Management doesn't care about their employees; they change your hours and cut them with 0 notice. The pay is minimum wage and you need to do more than in any other place I have been (I have 10+ years experience in the industry)
Pros
Free gym membership
Cons
Management doesn't care about their employees; not enough hours
Great place
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Aurora, ON3 July 2017
Awesome job
Had a great time working for the company
Good pay
Good hours
You get what you put in
Tons of opportunities to grow within the company and get peomoted
Pros
Salary
soccer trainer
customer service represenative (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON6 June 2017
great people with amazing attitudes seeking to become their best. I love helping other people and seeing good results happen over time. I never bring my social life to work so that I can be all ears and clear minded to analize what's going on around me
Pros
my passion
Cons
doesnt pay enough
Agm
AGM (Current Employee) –  Edmonton5 June 2017
good company in charge of weekend productivity, leading out side marketing and improvement of club's sales. Trained and hired a lot of the new staff and mentored while moulding them into great sales councillors.
Pros
free membership
Cons
a lot of hours
La fitness personal training sales
ASSISTANT PERSONAL TRAINING DIRECTOR (Full-Time) (Former Employee) –  Ontario16 May 2017
Been some time since i left the company and although i learned a fair bit about human psychology, i think its definitely not for most people. No matter what kind of person you are, you will get run down very quick and the thought of leaving will happen sooner or later for everyone within their first couple months.

was promoted very fast in the company and thats something thats purely based on performance. That said, its definitely not the job that promotes a healthy dosage of work life balance. They expect you to put in the hours of an entrepreneur starting their own business. Although your technical hours of something like 8-9 ( with a break in-between), its sort of frowned upon if you leave at 9 and don't stay later, or get there for 7:50 and not earlier.

Leaving the company was something that was difficult for me considering i absolutely loved the people i worked it (liked them a little less at the time given the stress of the job) and they're some of my best friends to this day. However selling LAF personal training wasn't a product i believed in. If you have nothing else going on in your life and all you'll do is work and sleep, do it for the experience.
Pros
friends
Cons
hours, pay if you don't hit bonus, annoying clients, annoying management.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at LA Fitness. Our community is ready to answer.