LEA Consulting Ltd. www.lea.ca an employee owned company is a well-established professional services company comprised of engineers and planners providing consulting services for the planning, design and construction administration of transportation infrastructure (primarily roads, highways, bridges and transit systems).
Based in Markham Ontario, we currently employ 150 people. Information Technology is critical to the success of the company and is an integral part of the strategic business plan. The culture is rich for employee growth and development and has evolved to a high achievement orientation with many long service highly engaged employees on staff. The enviable culture is flexible, professional and relaxed, yet keenly focused with a track record of growth and success.
This is a rare opportunity to join a successful organization at the operational and strategic levels in IT. The IT Director will be responsible to lead the IT function by ensuring information technology and systems are elevated to the level of being a strategic competitive advantage in our industry. The mandate for this role, working in conjunction with the leadership team, is to develop infrastructure and technology plans by understanding industry best practices and internal needs and wants, and then evaluating the ability to support corporate objectives now and in the future with recommended solutions. Also key to this role is leadership for developing and managing IT staff to support and guide them in meeting their objectives and internal service targets.
The IT function manages and provides hardware and software maintenance and support for telecommunications, the internet, email, servers, scanners, printers, plotters and network infrastructure. It is also responsible for researching, making recommendations and assisting with the implementation of specialist applications and changes that will significantly improve the quality and efficiency of our services.
- Consult with staff to identify needs and opportunities to enhance our productivity and competitiveness
- Stay abreast of and keep management up-to-date regarding industry IT trends and their potential impact on our company
- Prepare IT strategies, plans and budgets for management’s approval
- Manage IT budgets and expenditures and vendor relationships
- Develop and implement hardware and software maintenance and replacement strategies
- Update the technical knowledge and skills of the IT Group and other staff
Maintenance: Overall Responsibility through IT staff
- Maintain all infrastructure, including servers, routers, switches, mobile devices and workstations (Windows/Intel Based)
- Maintain an inventory of all hardware and software, including maintenance agreements
- Troubleshoot hardware, software, network and security systems
- Maintain a log of all support calls, including repairs and maintenance
- Manage contractors retained to design, develop, implement, and maintain computer and telecommunications equipment (including remote access), networks and information systems
- Connect and set up hardware/workstations
- Provide network access and passwords to all staff
- Monitor the security of all technology, advise staff of security breaches and/or change in password or security status, and ensure installation of lock-out programs, make changes necessary to minimize security risks.
- Develop, maintain and document policies and procedures for data processing and systems operation
- Review and update as necessary a disaster recovery plan
- Train staff to maximize the use of existing and new technology
- Respond to individual requests for training and support
- Develop and maintain all training documentation
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Must have well developed interpersonal and communications skills and be committed to ensuring timely and user-friendly support to frontline professionals and support staff
- Experience with:
- Hardware and software troubleshooting
- Installing and operating major Intel-based network operating systems including Windows Microsoft Office products, should have Microsoft Certification in relevant IT fields
- SQL Server 2003/2008
- Network technologies including Firewall
- Desktop, laptop, network printer procurement, support, configuration and upgrades
- Mobile handsets including cell phones, smart phones and tablets
- Desktop support for remote users
- AutoCAD and Microstation products
- Microsoft environment and server platforms including:
- Winserver 2008
- MS Exchange 2003 and 2010
- File Servers and VPN technology
- MS applications and other business tools, Office Suite, Internet Explorer, Mozilla and Google Chrome
- Data acquisition, maintenance protection, restoration and recovery technologies
- Networking topology and optimisation including DNS
- Data security technologies including Mirror, RAID, backup, image, encryption, firewall technologies
Salary will be commensurate with experience. We provide a comprehensive benefits package as well as opportunities for shareholding and profit-sharing.
If you are interested in this position please send your resume in strict confidence to Ron Guest. Candidates closely matching these job requirements will be contacted immediately.