Kwantlen Polytechnic University Employee Reviews

Typical Day
Peer Tutor (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC18 June 2017
hile working at the learning center of KPU, I helped an average of 10 tutees every week and fulfill the needs of the tutees in the fast-paced environment. I directly worked with students resolving course-related inquiries. I have also organized international student’s workshops in the learning center independently.
very rewarding when students see the light of what they are doing
Temporary full time instructor (Current Employee) –  Cloverdale campus Surrey BC11 May 2017
10 minutes minimum in classroom then on to shop floor for practical experience. the day goes fast giving advice and doing demos of welds. evaluating welds for acceptance and progress in training. the hardest part of the job is having to watch what you are doing and to explain what students should be seeing as it should all be muscle memory and you should not have to think about what you are doing
Pros
short work day high pay rate
Tutor
Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC4 April 2017
It was a temporary position with few hours a week and the pay is not minimum. The position is good on the resume. My supervisor was super nice and supportive. There was sufficient training and support.
Pros
Good on resume
Cons
Few hours with little pay
Good co-workers, great culture
International Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC18 March 2017
I worked at KPU for a period of about 2 years as an International Support Assistant, being part of the International Admissions and Recruitment Team. We used BANNER System as our main tool and kept track of a series of procedures concerning prospective and applying students.
Pros
Friendly environment, benefits.
Cons
Lack of training in some areas.
Temporary Position
GIS Lab Assistant - Geography Department (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC27 February 2017
My position was only as a student assistant, but working for the university was a great experience. They didn't pay well, but they were great at working around my school workload.
Pros
Good Atmosphere
Cons
Low pay
rewarding experience
Welding Instructor/Inspector (Former Employee) –  BC9 February 2017
It was nice working for this University and teaching all different classes in the welding program for the BC government as well as acting as an inspector for CWB and examining welders.
I met a lot of people and was able to help students trough my contact to obtain jobs in the different companies where I had developed a relationship .
Pros
rewarding experience
Cons
changing different classes and time
productive to learn
Coordinator for volunteer (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC6 December 2016
Great to work and being a part of the school and the orientation team. Worked in a team environment with other volunteers to promote and execute various student-run events on the campus
Organizing, Planning, and Quiet
Library Assistant (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC1 September 2016
1. I learned alot about planning and organizing as I worked as a library assistant
2. I got to work privately, but monitored by the manager
3. I got to help mini projects for the manager
4. I got to enjoy working privately and set schedule for each shifts
Pros
time goes fast
Cons
short hour shift
Part time position
Lab assistant (student) (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC1 June 2016
This was a part time position for students only and I did it while taking some IT courses. It was a flexible job but very low income.
Learned about imaging workstations for different curriculum.
Pros
Flexible job
Cons
Low income
Very engaging but also laid-back employment.
Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC25 May 2016
Working at Kwantlen Polytechnic University has been both flexible and positive overall. As a Student Assistant I maintained the space in the Aboriginal Gathering Place as a receptionist, and a lot of the day was just basic clerical duties, maintaining the space and working with the coordinator. Events would happen and a lot of students would use the space to study. This was really not too difficult to handle, and the scheduling was always incredibly flexible.
Reliable, dedicated and motivated
Assistant Instructor, Anthropology (Former Employee) –  Boston Bar, BC25 April 2016
I will work hard to further your company's goals and develop valuable programming to further the positive view of your company.
Good student job, worth the experience
Mathematics and Chemistry Tutor (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC1 April 2016
Helping other students is a very rewarding experience, and the working environment is good. Great people as well. Just don't rely on this to pay the bills.
Pros
Rewarding, good workplace environment
Cons
Low pay
Great place to learn about Trades
Student (Former Employee) –  Cloverdale, BC23 November 2015
I took my welding program at Kwantlen College. The courses were in-debt, I was able to learn a lot and now I am ready to put my skills to use.
fun work place
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Richmond, BC24 May 2015
Since I am is a volunteer at school, I don't have a typical day at work. When events are hold, I will cheak my schedule. If I'm free, I go to help.
My co-workers are very nice. Sometimes the Volunteer Program has something outings for volunteers and we like the outings.
I love to be a volunteer because I can meet many friends and I have more chances to enhance myself. In the Volunteer Program, there are many different jobs, such as food service attendant, poster promoter and etc.
Pros
meet many friends and enhance myself
Cons
rare work shift at the weekends
Nice environment; good people
Administrative Assistant, University Secretariat (Current Employee) –  Surrey BC9 March 2015
This is a very nice place to work. The staff are top notch and the working conditions are very good. The benefits are excellent and the salary is average.
Pros
Excellent benefits
Cons
lower than average salaries
Kwantlen Polytechnic University is a very good employer and provide good training to new hires.
Auxiliary Bookstore Associate (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC17 February 2015
Kwantlen Polytechnic University is a very good employer. It's reputation as a very competitive university extends to them being an employer. They ensure that new hires are provided with good training and are given enough information before starting. They offer good salary and the routine is easy to get used to.
Good institution
Student (Former Employee) –  Surrey19 May 2014
Educated and co- operative staff makes the studies very easy and understanable.
Kwantlen is a College that provides many courses that help people get the education they need for the job they desire
Preschool Assistant and Childcare (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC25 November 2013
Kwantlen provides many courses. People come to Kwantlen to take many different courses that will help prepare them for the job they want to take. They also have a program for people with disabilities called The Access Program for People with Disabilities. The program is provided to teach them different job skills and has Work Experience for hands on work.
Pros
You learn different job skills, you may get hired for work
Cons
Not everyone gets hired for work, you graduate when you get A job, even it's a job that you won't be able to keep
Hands on Work with Students with Disabilities
Student Assistant (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC25 October 2012
Sitting with students while they right an exam. I get the opportunity to proctor the students as they write their exams. When required I verbally read out the exam for those who cannot read it. I also can scribe for students who have difficulty writing.
Pros
working on campus
Cons
not enough hours