Kumon Employee Reviews

Productive and fun place to work
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON20 November 2016
Working at Kumon has allowed me use my strengths in Math and English to help students among those fields.A typical day at work is usually around 4-7 pm, I come into work and students bring in their homework from the week before and I document how they are doing for future references. If students have any problems with a question, they raise their hand and I come and help them.
Pros
Friendly environment
Small Business, Micro management, No Slack Time, No Benefit
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, ON11 November 2016
Part time job, non stop 6 hours without any slack or break time. Good to gain experience but since there is no social time it is difficult to sustain for long run.
Pros
Experience
Cons
Fun workplace but not a lot of place for advancement.
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON2 November 2016
Fun workplace but not a lot of place for advancement. The most enjoyable part about this job is working with kids. My co-workers are great as well.
Dealing with kids
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON25 September 2016
Being my first job as a mentor I really enjoyed it as I was dealing with kids and teaching them. I learned how to have patience while dealing with children. My co workers were really helpful and used to guide me at some places. The hardest part of the job was when the child wouldn't listen to you and would disturb other student who are studying.
Assistant (Former Employee) –  Woodbridge, ON30 August 2016
Great job for a student. Work schedule is very convenient that fits into a students schedule. Management very accommodating. Environment is very friendly. Positions are stress free.
Very easy and relaxing job
Kumon Assistant (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB28 August 2016
Being a Kumon assistant is a very amazing job and such a good place to work at although it could be boring at times but it is definitely worth working at. I've learned a lot here at Kumon and it is very good experience for future jobs.
Pros
Easy
Cons
Boring
Kumon was an enriching work experience
English tutor (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON29 July 2016
Working at Kumon Learning Centre was an extremely enriching experience, so much so that I would not have left had I not moved to Kingston for my education. Teaching the students was an unforgettable opportunity which fuelled my desire to become a teacher. My co-workers were inspiring and dedicated, and also became my good friends.
Pros
Working with amazing staff and students
Cons
Low pay
Work at Kumon
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC14 July 2016
Assigned to a section of tutoring. Then help students with classwork, if not, correct their homework. The easiest part of the job is to explain to the students their math problems.
Cons
short workdays, short hours, over staffed
Productive and Fun Workplace
MATH AND ENGLISH INSTRUCTOR (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON4 July 2016
At Kumon, a typical day of work includes teaching students math and english, and marking their homework. I learned a lot from this job, including improving my teaching skills, and roles as a communicator when explaining concepts. The hardest part of the job would be the peak hours, where the facility gets a lot of students, whereby we have to teach multiple students at a time.
Productive and easy workplace
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON4 July 2016
Kumon is an excellent tutoring centre. With the helpful staff and well behaved children, Kumon is a great place to work at. Furthermore, you have the ability to trade shifts which is amazing!
Pros
Excellent Staff
Cons
Short Hours
Productive workplace
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON20 June 2016
-A typical day at work was helping students reach their academic goals
-What i've learned is that patience is key when dealing with others.
-The management was very generous and understanding and I was grateful to work there.
-My coworkers were kind.
-The hardest part of the job was keeping track of the students progress.
-The most enjoyable part of the job was coming in for my shifts and helping the children and seeing their achievements.
Pros
-Co-worker partirs
Cons
-not enough hours
Good Starting Job
Math Tutor/Grader (Former Employee) –  Medina, MN12 June 2016
Learned basic responsibilities and important communication skills. Not very difficult job. Worked with good team members.
Nice working culture
Mathematics Tutor (Former Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ON10 May 2016
Since the company aims to provide the best learning environment to the students, the environment is so quite, and the workers are required to be self- disciplined. We had to be very concentrated on our work.
Productive and fun to work with children
Teacher Assistant (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON30 April 2016
I would mark student homewrok that they bring in from home. It would include math or reading or both. The student's would complete class work which is work they do when they come in and I would help them out. My co-workers are very friendly and hard working. When the marking load gets heavy we share the work.
Fun Workplace with kids
Booklet Corrector (Former Employee) –  Orleans, ON9 April 2016
It was a really fun environment the kids made it 10000 times better and my supervisor is so great. She slays her job, would work there again if my job wasn't temporary
It was a fun and enjoyable learning environment
Kumon Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON6 April 2016
Helping students learn and seeing them smile is a great thing to see every day. Teaching them certain concepts and ways in answering questions in different perspectives was my main job. I really enjoyed working here. The hardest part of the job would be marking/ correcting a lot of booklets returned from students after a long weekend. Overall, this was a enjoyable job.
productive workplace
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Maple, ON2 April 2016
typical day is to help assist teachers and clean the office and provide assistance to those on help
most enjoyable part at work was to help little kids on work and explain how to do them
should really pay for training
Teaching Assistant/Grader (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON23 March 2016
Kumon is a good starting job if you only want to work a very limited number of hours throughout the week: 3-6 hours.
This is because they are usually only open after school: 4pm - 7pm and only a few days in the week eg. Tuesdays and Thursdays. On Saturdays it is (11am-4pm). However, if you are looking for a job where you can have plenty of hours this is not the place.

If you like to talk and socialize, this is also not the place. The work environment is you go inside, and mark hundreds of assignments, while the students work on their assignments at the desk. Occasionally, they can ask you for help. If you are assigned to the younger children, you help them with their reading while marking assignments. It is a generally quiet no-socializing environment.

A BIG PROBLEM with Kumon is when you do get the job, they tell you to come in for "training" so you can observe and do some practise. They DO NOT tell you that it is unpaid which they should before you come in for 2 hours and find out after two weeks that you didn't get paid for it. If you DO go in for training, go in for 30 minutes. It is enough time for you to learn the ropes but also not enough time to feel bad for not getting paid.

The hardest part in the job is the straight focus for three hours - multi tasking grading papers and also helping the students assigned to you (1 - 2 ) with their reading. You are expected to finish a big amount of work in a very short amount of time. Sometimes I would forget to go to the washroom.

The most enjoyable is that you get to challenge yourself and if you genuinely
  more... love children then you get to see them improve on their reading and writing skills throughout the time you are there.  less
Overall great learning experience
Math and Reading Tutor (Current Employee) –  3416 Dundas St. W14 March 2016
-fun atmosphere where I get the opportunity to educate young minds and assist them with their homework
-mark students' homework while informing parents of their child's improvement and any updates to the Kumon program
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
part time only
Enjoyable work experience with good job security
Higher Level Math Tutor (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON14 March 2016
Responsibilities included grading and recording student work as well as aiding students with Higher Level Math questions. Great working environment with excellent management. Work can become tedious at times, however overall an enjoyable work experience.
Pros
Work with students (1 on 1 interaction)
Cons
Tedious tasks

4.2