Kumon Employee Reviews

Productive and fun place to work
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON20 November 2016
Working at Kumon has allowed me use my strengths in Math and English to help students among those fields.A typical day at work is usually around 4-7 pm, I come into work and students bring in their homework from the week before and I document how they are doing for future references. If students have any problems with a question, they raise their hand and I come and help them.
Pros
Friendly environment
Organized and effecient workplace
Assistant Instructor (Current Employee) –  Coquitlam, BC3 February 2017
The Kumon centre is very organized with many rules and codes; none of which are difficult to learn or keep up. Uniforms are provided free of charge, are comfortable, and dress code is professional and reasonable. Management is flexible, and the environment is rather relaxed for the most part. Management will assign you to different roles according to your skill - whether that be recording data, teaching younger students or consistently marking work. You must be patient and good with children to work here. All children ask questions, some throw tantrums, and some are dead silent. However, it is extremely rewarding to watch them grow and learn and know that you took part in helping them do so. Wages are fair and workers are friendly. There is minimal to no rivalry, and competitions are friendly to encourage each other to do better (i.e. who can mark the fastest and most accurately?).
Pros
The back room is often stocked with free food and drink
Cons
Breaks are small
Amazing Work Environment
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Sidney, BC4 January 2017
The Sidney branch of Kumon is very small, but that's what made it such a great place. The owner really had time to invest in all of her employees and make sure we were doing our best. Everyone working there was about education and what was best for the kids. It was an incredibly positive environment that ran on learning. It took some time to get used to a workplace where my opinion was valued as much as my coworker who had been working there for over ten years. She also had a degree in teaching. But they appreciated any perspective, and taught me how to do the same. However, in regards to the students themselves, Sidney is fairly quiet so long quiet breaks where there are few to no students in the center are fairly common.
Pros
Amazing people
Cons
some days, not much to do.
Good!
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON15 January 2017
Typical day includes teaching children then filing, and office work.
This job teaches you interpersonal skills, and refines your office and tutoring skills.
The management is nice and organized.
Fun workplace but not a lot of place for advancement.
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON2 November 2016
Fun workplace but not a lot of place for advancement. The most enjoyable part about this job is working with kids. My co-workers are great as well.
Dull but easy
Student Grade Marker (Former Employee) –  Ajax, ON29 November 2016
A normal day at work was basically going to the center, and marking books from 4-8. It was a good job, easy however it was a bit tedious. The manager made sure u only marked books that if the student were to come up and ask you for help that you would be able to help. The other markers there were nice, with a system where the older kids would help the younger ones. Overall would recommend to any person who thinks that they can deal with the slight monotony the job entails.
Pros
Choosing your own schedule, nice work environment
Cons
Hours were a tad bit long, work can bore you out of your mind
Fulfilling learning experience
Assistant and Tutor (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB8 January 2017
- working with children and regular office duties
- I learned to overcome challenging situation and an improved approach to customer service relations
- Chief assistant duties included managing the centre as well as delegating tasks for other employees.
- The hardest part of the job is communication with parents in regards to their child's progress and behaviour.
- The most enjoyable part of the job is interacting with the children and seeing them progress over time.
Productive workplace
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON20 June 2016
-A typical day at work was helping students reach their academic goals
-What i've learned is that patience is key when dealing with others.
-The management was very generous and understanding and I was grateful to work there.
-My coworkers were kind.
-The hardest part of the job was keeping track of the students progress.
-The most enjoyable part of the job was coming in for my shifts and helping the children and seeing their achievements.
Pros
-Co-worker partirs
Cons
-not enough hours
Assistant (Former Employee) –  Woodbridge, ON30 August 2016
Great job for a student. Work schedule is very convenient that fits into a students schedule. Management very accommodating. Environment is very friendly. Positions are stress free.
Fun time teaching sudents
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ON7 February 2017
Absolutely love working in such a friendly and educative environment. Teaching the students always enhance my knowledge and teaching skills. It is a wonderful opportunity for me to build a strong communication skill.
Pros
awesome boss
Easy work but low pay
Primary learner teaching assistant (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BC13 February 2017
Mostly college and high school students work there.
Pretty low pay (minimum wage) and no chance of increase after working for years.
Fun, rewarding
Senior Lead Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Calgary19 January 2017
Fun and rewarding work environment. Always lots to do and very fast paced. No two days are the same, expect lots of work! The most enjoyable part of work is watching the students grow as an independent learner.
productive place and great experience
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC24 January 2017
Direct student to self-learning as well as maintain the right level of challenge and to ensure that mastery is attained as each new skill is introduced.
Small Business, Micro management, No Slack Time, No Benefit
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, ON11 November 2016
Part time job, non stop 6 hours without any slack or break time. Good to gain experience but since there is no social time it is difficult to sustain for long run.
Pros
Experience
Dealing with kids
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON25 September 2016
Being my first job as a mentor I really enjoyed it as I was dealing with kids and teaching them. I learned how to have patience while dealing with children. My co workers were really helpful and used to guide me at some places. The hardest part of the job was when the child wouldn't listen to you and would disturb other student who are studying.
Productive workplace
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 January 2017
very tight space not enough seats for students to sit down. not very organized with the files, some hygiene problems, some non required rules which made it worse for some students.
Fun and safe workplace
Student Assistant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 February 2017
if you enjoy working with kids, kumon is the right place! at kumon, you will have to work with kids from different ages. assistance includes math and reading
Kumon was an enriching work experience
English tutor (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON29 July 2016
Working at Kumon Learning Centre was an extremely enriching experience, so much so that I would not have left had I not moved to Kingston for my education. Teaching the students was an unforgettable opportunity which fuelled my desire to become a teacher. My co-workers were inspiring and dedicated, and also became my good friends.
Pros
Working with amazing staff and students
Cons
Low pay
Working at bringing out the hidden potential of every child who walks through the door.
Studies Manager (Current Employee) –  Mahooz, Bahrain14 September 2015
The opportunity to work along side some very dedicated and positive individuals who are guided by a very good management to help children with their maths and English, boost their confidence and help them shine.
I have learnt not only administrative skills along side teaching but also that the children have so much to teach us as well.They are the best part of the job because you see a lot of diversity in the ages,nationalities and knowledge base of the students and that really keeps you having to be positive to be able to deal with them.
The hardest part of the job is probably the stress that goes along with any job.
Pros
colleagues on the same wave length
Cons
Very easy and relaxing job
Kumon Assistant (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB28 August 2016
Being a Kumon assistant is a very amazing job and such a good place to work at although it could be boring at times but it is definitely worth working at. I've learned a lot here at Kumon and it is very good experience for future jobs.
Pros
Easy
Cons
Boring

4.2