KPMG Employee Reviews

Great learning opportunity
Intermediary Auditor (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QCNovember 7, 2013
Working for KPMG introduced me to the basic and more advance auditing task.
Good benefits, shame about the management
Manager (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABNovember 2, 2013
KPMG is a worldwide accountancy firm. Nationally they have good benefits, personal care time allowances, good vacation, reasonable pension, and antibullying policy. However, locally management does not necessarily buy into the national policies.
You will work with the best providing top quality advice for clients.
Pros
good benefits, good vacation, pension
Cons
long hours, worklife balance, no control over quality of admin staff
extensive learning with good career progression
Audit Associate (Former Employee) –  MalaysiaOctober 30, 2013
I was mainly in charged with audit assignments after 6 months on the job. Audit assignments involve audit testing for each accounts of the company and then drafting the audited financial statements that needs to be checked and approved by the managers and partners before submission. Co-workers are extremely helpful and very caring. The hardest part of the job is to deal with difficult clients and working under tight deadlines. The most enjoyable part of the job is the family oriented culture in KPMG.
Pros
good co-workers and management
Cons
tight deadlines
Good Company to Work - If you are a CA
Analyst (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONOctober 1, 2013
KPMG offers great benefits. However you have to be prepared to work. If you have a young family, this is not for you. You pretty much have to dedicate your entire life to the company while employed there. And if you don't have your CA / CGA / CMA, then get it. People who don't have this won't get very far and won't be treated equally.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, OntarioAugust 18, 2013
KPMG was a great job. A large corporate employer with excellent benefits. I have moved from Toronto to Lindsay and I now want part-time work 15-20 hours per week.
Pros
great place to work
Not a great place to work
Senior Consultant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJuly 25, 2013
Worst job I ever had:
- Management is unapproachable, communication is one way and you are being talked down to, Partners and some Senior Managers have huge egos.
- The work is repetitive and uninspiring.
- Very limited career options for non-accountants.
- Unless you are an accountant, forget about ever becoming an Equity Partner, as this is 100% an accounting firm, only trying to market itself as a professional services firm.
- You will have to work very very hard to make sure the Equity Partners make their 7 figure bonuses, it's a pyramid scheme where most good people are fired or quit after a couple of years when they have burnt out.
- Many people working for this firm look 5-10 years older than they are. Those of you who are still in the firm, the sooner you realize you are being taken advantage of the better.
- You will not have time to enjoy (m)any of the perks you have, as the workload is to big. Forget about quality time with the family, defer getting married or plan a divorce, this will greatly help your career with the Firm.
- Always cover your back, never delete any emails, you will need them to protect yourself when you get stabbed in the back by your co-workers, as they are trying to save themselves from getting fired.
Pros
ok salary, but not amazing
Cons
to many to mention
Good learning, better work-life than other big 4
Senior Accountant (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABJuly 15, 2013
Great place to learn and then move on. Benefits are competitive and lots of time off in the summer. Work-life is better than competitors (the other big 4) but still not competitive with industry. Great place to make a career if you like your field.
Very hard work, great experience
Senior Accountant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 15, 2013
Working at a big four involves incredibly hard work, with the opportunity to obtain the CA designation with the best resources. The employees are very type-A and will exploit employees for personal gain
Opportunity to learn and enhance knowledge
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  MalaysiaJuly 4, 2013
- Good place to learn and experience in accounting sector
- Good people to work with
Pros
good learning place
Cons
A challenging yet rewardable working place.
Consultant - Financial Risk Management (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 30, 2013
Everyday, or even every minute, is different here in KPMG Risk Consulting. I have been involved in various audit and advisory projects for two years. My clients includes big five banks, prominent pension funds, regulatory and govenment agencies.
Hardest part, which I found also the most interesting part of my job is I have to interact with the smartest people (my coworkers and clients) in the world on a daily basis. I learnt different skills from each of them. I was given great opportunities to coach COOP/ Junior Consultant while strengthening my leadership.
Pros
our work ethic is well recognized in the world.
Cons
huge turnover
Program Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Toront, OnJune 16, 2013
Great place to work . Great values, work life balance not so much
Great work environment
Senior Accountant, Financial Institutions (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 10, 2013
During my present role, I perform the following tasks:

- audit public/private financial statements'
- complete and monitor project budgets
- review work performed by junior staff
Exemplary financial services and professional services firm
Senior Advisor, Transactions & Restructuring (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QCMay 30, 2013
A fantastic place to begin a career in finance or accounting, KPMG, a big four accounting firm, placed the necessary resources at my disposal at every step of my development through Audit and Assurance services as well as M&A and Transactions due diligence work.

I had the pleasure of working with exemplary co-workers, the majority of which are highly-skilled and sought-after professionals with great experience.

The hardest part of the job is maintaining sufficient motivation in an accounting-driven structure when my true focus is developing my skills in Finance in a banking or private equity-related position.
Great projects, unclear company direction
Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 5, 2013
Good exposure to interesting clients/projects, high turnover among staff, management has no clear direction on where they want to take the firm
For those on the professional track it is an excellent company
Senior Marketing Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 12, 2013
Professional service marketing must be accepted as a single life track as it is completely different from consumer marketing. Once on this track, commitment is key. KPMG is a solid company to work for. The vision set by management is one that those who have the highest professional and personal goals can live by.

The category Job Security/Advancement is a contradiction in terms. At KPMG it's the Advancement category that is the difficulty. The work is hugely enjoyable and rewarding. KPMG partners are the best that I've seen anywhere.
Pros
kpmg partners
Cons
advancement
Typical big 4
Senior Accountant (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BCJanuary 23, 2013
Work hard, learn lots, get paid little. Means to and end. Intense hours.
Meetings with Team, Client and review of work
Senior Manager-Advisory Services (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJanuary 22, 2013
Apreciation at work is improtant and I get this lot from my boss and make sure to pass it on to my team.
Pros
gain valuable experience in varaiety of industries
Cons
time constraints
Good opportunities for career advancement
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABJanuary 19, 2013
Working as an admin assistannt with KPMG has its rewards and challenges. It is a busy and deadline-oriented work environment, with many oportunities for learning new skills. The best part about the company is the people. I have many friends at KPMG and enjoy working with my co-workers and the group I support. The most challenging part of the job is the introduction of new computer computer systems and programs on a regular basis. We are constantly in a learning curve with new systems and that can make it challenging to gain any work momentum.
Pros
good people, good benefits
Cons
contstant technological upgrades/changes.
great company, great learning environment
Junior Clerk, AP (Current Employee) –  torontoDecember 7, 2012
great company, great learning environment. i love it there and would love to be there for a longer time
Pros
environment, brandname
Cons
long hours and workload
Stimulating learning environment
Senior Consultant in Advisory Services (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONOctober 10, 2012
A fast paced learning atmosphere; a career accelerator due to the variety of experiences gained in a relatively short period of time.
Pros
learning
Cons
pain associated with investing time / forgone wages for future gain