KPMG

1.4K reviews

KPMG Employee Reviews

Great place to start your career
Senior Accountant (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BCJuly 4, 2015
Being an associate at KPMG is mostly comprised of travelling to client sites and performing audit procedures with client management. The Burnaby practice is focused on privately-traded enterprise clients.

The learning curve can be steep to begin with, but is overall quite easy to adapt to once you get your feet wet a few months in.

Partners and other management staff are great, being extremely supportive of your career aspirations, given that they understand it is not the average associate's goals to stay in public practice. Similarly, the co-workers are great as they are by-far some of the smartest people I've worked with and there's an abundance to learn from them, in addition to being great people to hang out with after work.

I would say the hardest part of the job is trying to fit your life into the work schedule, as while the firm tries its best to provide some balance, the nature of the business (client-driven deadlines) often does not allow for this. Also, the performance rating system can often seem rather subjective and political rather than being based on objective merit.

The best part of the job is definitely the people you work with, as even though work can be mundane and long, going through it with intelligent, motivated, and likeable colleagues makes it really worth it.
Pros
High caliber of co-workers; opportunities for advancement; great learning
Cons
Long hours; often administrative tasks; performance rating system
Not a great place to work
Senior Consultant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJuly 25, 2013
Worst job I ever had:
- Management is unapproachable, communication is one way and you are being talked down to, Partners and some Senior Managers have huge egos.
- The work is repetitive and uninspiring.
- Very limited career options for non-accountants.
- Unless you are an accountant, forget about ever becoming an Equity Partner, as this is 100% an accounting firm, only trying to market itself as a professional services firm.
- You will have to work very very hard to make sure the Equity Partners make their 7 figure bonuses, it's a pyramid scheme where most good people are fired or quit after a couple of years when they have burnt out.
- Many people working for this firm look 5-10 years older than they are. Those of you who are still in the firm, the sooner you realize you are being taken advantage of the better.
- You will not have time to enjoy (m)any of the perks you have, as the workload is to big. Forget about quality time with the family, defer getting married or plan a divorce, this will greatly help your career with the Firm.
- Always cover your back, never delete any emails, you will need them to protect yourself when you get stabbed in the back by your co-workers, as they are trying to save themselves from getting fired.
Pros
ok salary, but not amazing
Cons
to many to mention
Professional environment, skills and knowledge improvement and sharing, friendly people
Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 1, 2014
A typical day at work starts at 8.30 - 9.00 am with checking email, news and new information provided in a dataroom, which is of a high interest. It is then used in further work/analysis.
Employees are often involved into project work, which is carried out by teams of a few people. On average these people spend a few weeks working together and it is common to share/discuss news, have small talks, etc in addition to work. It is not a rare case that project management joins the team in project room. This makes management and employees closer and this is a very nice part of work.
Having good relations at work is important for me and I usually have friends-colleagues. We normally spend lunch time together, chat, go out on Fridays, etc.
The most enjoyable part of my work is that I'm surrounded by people and have a chance to learn constantly from others and share my experience. Some people are really great characters, working with them is fun. Some have rare skills and they share them.
The hardest part of the job is overtime and unpredictable working hours, but when projects are over, employees are compensated for these hours, which is a good deal.
Offer opportunities for career advancement
Senior Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 21, 2014
It's a fast paced environment and no ordinary day at work. I've learned a lot in both professional and other soft skills which help me to develop as a well rounded professional. It also provides many opportunities for challenges and advancement within the organization. Overall environment is supportive with good benefits offer to employees. The hardest part of the job is to maintain work life balance as this is public practice (with busy seasons). I also work with approx 20 bosses versus than one or two bosses in most industries and therefore time management is crucial in this profession. The most enjoyable part of the job is that I get to meet many other professionals (both externally and internally) throughout my career.
A challenging yet rewardable working place.
Consultant - Financial Risk Management (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 30, 2013
Everyday, or even every minute, is different here in KPMG Risk Consulting. I have been involved in various audit and advisory projects for two years. My clients includes big five banks, prominent pension funds, regulatory and govenment agencies.
Hardest part, which I found also the most interesting part of my job is I have to interact with the smartest people (my coworkers and clients) in the world on a daily basis. I learnt different skills from each of them. I was given great opportunities to coach COOP/ Junior Consultant while strengthening my leadership.
Pros
our work ethic is well recognized in the world.
Cons
huge turnover
Great company to work for
Administrative Assistant (Tax) (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJanuary 13, 2015
The job was really interesting in the sense I would work within a team of people from different level. I had to prioritise my work and be able to work under pressure.
The hardest part of the job was working during the Tax season which required a lot of work and overtime. I had to provide service excellence for not only poeple I worked for but also the Clients.
It was a very interesting job because I was able to work with different departments and people. Tasks varied from simple letter writting to proof reading documents, presentations, organise travel, have total responsibilities on people whereabouts and calendar.
Over all a very enjoyable job and company to work for.
Pros
very good benefits
Cons
worked long hours at time
Great Experience
Events Volunteer (Former Employee) –  TorontoJune 7, 2014
Working at KPMG is an experience that I am very thankful for. It provided me with so many connections and a true learning experience. KMPG is where I learnt about working with customers and how to deal with adversity. A typical day at work would be just to contact various companies and ask them about if they are interested in helping and sponsoring our events. Management was extremely friendly and were great along the way. I made so many great relationships working at KPMG and that was probably the most enjoyable part of the job. I wouldn't say anything was hard but probably the most trying was the commute to KPMG from where I live.
Pros
great people, great events
Cons
travel
Exemplary financial services and professional services firm
Senior Advisor, Transactions & Restructuring (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QCMay 30, 2013
A fantastic place to begin a career in finance or accounting, KPMG, a big four accounting firm, placed the necessary resources at my disposal at every step of my development through Audit and Assurance services as well as M&A and Transactions due diligence work.

I had the pleasure of working with exemplary co-workers, the majority of which are highly-skilled and sought-after professionals with great experience.

The hardest part of the job is maintaining sufficient motivation in an accounting-driven structure when my true focus is developing my skills in Finance in a banking or private equity-related position.
Great Place to Work
Office Facilitator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJuly 11, 2012
Variety of work in the position I did.
We were offer skillsoft training on computer courses.
The Management staff were very busy and we provided services to them so they could concentrate on the work they had.
My co-workers were great to work with. We had fun joking around to ease any stressful situations on hand.
The harderst part of the job- nothing as long as you kept up with your duties every day,
I enjoyed coming to work everyday, the people that worked there were great, I loved all the different duties that I did.
Pros
they had alot of staff functions you could attend after work hours.
Cons
coming in at 2 in the morning for security issues.
Excellent learning curve
Senior Audit Supervisor (Former Employee) –  PakistanOctober 27, 2014
If you are working for one of top 4 public accounting firms in the world, it goes without saying that amazing career progression opportunities lie ahead for you once you have completed your training and obtained your accounting designation, since working for big 4 gives you the chance to provide assurance services across diversed industries, including manufacturing, financial services, hospitality, public sector, NGOs and state organizations such as utilities etc.

My learning curve was always at 90 degrees while I was at KPMG, providing immense academic and job satisfaction.

Want to know more about KPMG?

Ask a question
Good opportunities for career advancement
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABJanuary 19, 2013
Working as an admin assistannt with KPMG has its rewards and challenges. It is a busy and deadline-oriented work environment, with many oportunities for learning new skills. The best part about the company is the people. I have many friends at KPMG and enjoy working with my co-workers and the group I support. The most challenging part of the job is the introduction of new computer computer systems and programs on a regular basis. We are constantly in a learning curve with new systems and that can make it challenging to gain any work momentum.
Pros
good people, good benefits
Cons
contstant technological upgrades/changes.
extensive learning with good career progression
Audit Associate (Former Employee) –  MalaysiaOctober 30, 2013
I was mainly in charged with audit assignments after 6 months on the job. Audit assignments involve audit testing for each accounts of the company and then drafting the audited financial statements that needs to be checked and approved by the managers and partners before submission. Co-workers are extremely helpful and very caring. The hardest part of the job is to deal with difficult clients and working under tight deadlines. The most enjoyable part of the job is the family oriented culture in KPMG.
Pros
good co-workers and management
Cons
tight deadlines
For those on the professional track it is an excellent company
Senior Marketing Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 12, 2013
Professional service marketing must be accepted as a single life track as it is completely different from consumer marketing. Once on this track, commitment is key. KPMG is a solid company to work for. The vision set by management is one that those who have the highest professional and personal goals can live by.

The category Job Security/Advancement is a contradiction in terms. At KPMG it's the Advancement category that is the difficulty. The work is hugely enjoyable and rewarding. KPMG partners are the best that I've seen anywhere.
Pros
kpmg partners
Cons
advancement
KMPG Canada is an awesome place to work if you want a good friendly culture.
Web (Current Employee) –  Toronto, CanadaSeptember 22, 2011
I have been working for KPMG Canada for sometime now, listing a few points about my experience with KPMG Cananda Web Services Department, Information Technology.
* Amazing culture and everyone is extremely nice.
*Value and respect everyone's opinion
*They don't pay the best but competitive salary packages.
*Great management especially for new employee.
*Diversity and culture respect for all.
Pros
peace of mind
Cons
salary
I work on review engagement files and T2 and the challenges are every day I find something newer stuff to be dealt with.
Senior Accountant, Audit (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 2, 2015
KPMG is very attractive place to work. Lot of funs there. All people are really good. Flexible time. They always try to balance work-life and family life though it's very hard at this fast space environment.
Pros
Free coffees and many social events during the year
Cons
The good, the bad, the ugly
Administrator (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCDecember 2, 2014
Work hard, learn lots, system upgrade every 3 years. Difficult to get momentum. Managers, senior managers and partners will squeeze the life of you. If you're starting your accounting career, you found your company, after 3-4 years, you'll be looking at other opportunity. Every month, you get 1-2 good bye emails, Take the emotional out of the equation, bottom line is the most important and utilization.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
management misfits
Good benefits, shame about the management
Manager (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABNovember 2, 2013
KPMG is a worldwide accountancy firm. Nationally they have good benefits, personal care time allowances, good vacation, reasonable pension, and antibullying policy. However, locally management does not necessarily buy into the national policies.
You will work with the best providing top quality advice for clients.
Pros
good benefits, good vacation, pension
Cons
long hours, worklife balance, no control over quality of admin staff
KPMG Canada Summary
IT Support Analyst (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 1, 2014
Decent job culture, a bit low on the pay scale but they do have a decent benefits package.

They say there's advancement within the company but many prefer to look outside the company when hiring for the better positions.

Decent company to work for, but if you want to advance - look elsewhere and then come back to them as you'll advance quicker that route than internally.
Challenging, Fast Paced, Work Hard Play Hard Environment
Senior Manager (Current Employee) –  TorontoJuly 20, 2015
Technical skills gained in the area of communication, oral and written presentation, drafting financial statements, accounting and auditing

Great flexibility as a Manager and Senior Manager

Hardest part of the job is balance between work and social life

Enjoyable part is working with senior people within the firm as well as C-suit executives of private and public companies
Working at KPMG
Corporate Tax Intern (Former Employee) –  MalaysiaJuly 22, 2015
Great company to work with. I went through proper orientation and training to give us a better understanding of our job responsibilities. I was able to ask questions from my co-workers whenever I have trouble resolving problems. Also, this company provide flexibility where I am able to work from home when needed