The Software Developer is responsible for developing web sites and web applications, as well as the maintenance and continuous evolution of existing ones, following industry best practices and meeting business requirements.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND TASKS:
The responsibilities of this position include, but are not limited to the following:
- Design and Develop high quality code that is robust, scalable, modular, and meets business and design requirements.
- Identify redundancies, inconsistencies, and inefficiencies in existing web sites and/or applications.
- Keep up to date with technical and industry sector developments.
- Identify and evaluate new trends in the IT and make proposals for improvements of existing web sites and/or applications including technical search optimization practices.
- Support various teams within department by providing technical solutions based on the best practises.
- Promoting and sharing web software development best practices within department.
- Provide detailed and accurate estimates for assigned tasks.
- Complete all tasks within estimates.
- Learn and support all internal systems as directed by functional lead.
- Resolve issues quickly and efficiently.
- Adhere to departmental and company standards, processes and procedures.
- Liaise with other areas of the business for effective work flow.
- Troubleshoot, maintain and upgrade existing systems as directed by functional lead.
- Document design and development efforts as directed by functional lead
REQUIRED SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES:
- Good verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong inter-personal skills and ability to share knowledge and experience with other team members as directed by functional lead
- Detail oriented
- Good problem solving skills
- Follow instructions and commitments as agreed with functional lead
TECHNICAL / PROFESSIONAL COMPETENCIES:
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, software engineering, or equivalent work experience.
- Three to five years of web software development experience in a formal development environment.
- Experience using versioning and source code control using TFS, SVN, or similar.
- Experience developing within a formal SDLC.
- Experience in a SCRUM/Agile environment is big asset.
- Chinese speaking/reading is an asset
TECHNOLOGY SPECIFIC COMPETENCIES (JAVA)
- Minimum three years in Java development.
- Conversant with UML, OOA, OOD and OOP, and J2EE design patterns.
- Experience with XML, DTD & XML schemas, XSLT, and XPath.
- Experience with common open source development/testing tools for Java including JUnit, Ant, Log4j, IDEs (Eclipse or Netbeans), etc.
- Good knowledge of Tomcat (or similar) / J2EE application server architecture.
- Good knowledge of IIS/CGI application server architecture.
- Good knowledge of code validation tools.
- Experience with mobile devices and mobile browsers is an asset.
- Knowledge of Flash, Flex Silverlight or similar is an asset.
- Knowledge of Content Management System
ANTICIPATED TRAVEL / SPECIAL WORKING CONDITIONS:
- Less than 5% travel
Why work at Kitco?
Since 1977, we have delivered a wide range of precious metal products and services to our customers and we are proud to have offices located worldwide including, Canada, United States and Hong Kong.
We believe in our employees and their capabilities and we encourage them to discover opportunities for growth and further success within Kitco. We reward, appreciate & acknowledge our employees accomplishments & initiatives through employee recognition programs and awards. We offer a positive, friendly work environment, many extracurricular activities such as sports teams, inter-departmental committees and opportunities for continuous training & development.
At Kitco, excellence is neither an occurrence nor an achievement, but an ongoing pursuit that leads to success. For more information we invite you to visit our corporate website at: www.kitco.com
Apply at Kitco for an opportunity to discover your full potential!
Only the selected candidates will be contacted.