Job Title: Early Childhood Educator (ECE)
Employer: Kitchissippi Cooperative Daycare
Salary: $18.00-21.00 per hour, depending on experience
Terms of Employment: 8:30am-4:30pm, 4 days per week
Anticipated Start Date: Negotiable, Immediately
Who We Are
Kitchissippi Cooperative Daycare (also known as Kitchicoo) is a parent-run daycare located in Hintonburg that operates according to a cooperative model. This model allows parents to collaborate with a childcare professional in the daily operations of the daycare in order to provide an intimate, familial environment in which our children can thrive. Our guiding values are cooperation, open communication, flexibility, respect, and of course, the well-being of our children. Together, we strive to create a program that children will be happy and enthusiastic to attend each day, and to which parents will remain deeply committed.
To learn more about Kitchicoo’s mission, history, and cooperative daycare model, please visit our website at https://sites.google.com/site/kitchicoodaycare/.
Our Early Childhood Educator
At Kitchicoo, our ECE works closely with parents as our childcare collaborator. The cooperative model makes our daycare especially dynamic, and we depend on the expertise of our ECE to guide the program and provide a stabilizing presence in our day-to-day operations. Four days a week, our ECE is on duty with one parent volunteer. We maintain a 3:1 child-to-adult ratio. Our children typically range in age from 6 months to 3 years.
The ECE’s primary responsibilities are to:
- Provide constant supervision in order to ensure the safety and well-being of the children
- Recognise and respond to the needs of each child using age- and developmentally-appropriate teaching and child behaviour management techniques
- Share responsibility for planning, preparing, and implementing stimulating age-appropriate activities that encourage children’s creativity and learning, and promote each child’s social, emotional, cognitive, and physical development
- Plan, evaluate, and improve the physical environment of the daycare to meet the changing needs of the developing child in consultation with the parents of the cooperative, and help maintain play environments and storage areas in an organized and clutter-free condition
- Provide respectful supervision and direction to parents during their volunteer days in order to maintain consistency in the daily operations of the daycare program
- Maintain regular and open communication with cooperative member parents to ensure smooth transitions between home and daycare, and to solve problems collaboratively
- Demonstrate awareness of and respect for the children’s backgrounds by incorporating cultural, linguistic, and familial beliefs and practices into the program
- Believe in and act in accordance with the cooperative’s philosophies of childcare and parental involvement
- Certified Early Childhood Educator with at least 2 years experience working with infants and toddlers
- Able to provide documentation of First Aid with CPR-C certification and Criminal Records Check for work with Vulnerable Sector by start of employment
- Able to meet the physical demands of daily work with a group of active young children, including lifting children regularly and going on outings in all types of weather
- Has excellent communication skills to facilitate regular contact with parents regarding children’s development and the smooth functioning of the daycare
- Has demonstrated leadership skills and can educate both children and duty parents within the daycare program with confidence and finesse
- Has the patience and flexibility to adapt to new routines and schedules according to the changing needs of the cooperative’s families
- English/French bilingualism is a strong asset, but a willingness to enthusiastically support bilingualism within our daycare community in other ways is also appreciated
- Experience working in a cooperative setting helpful; cooperative attitude essential.
Please submit a detailed CV, including 3 references, and a cover letter describing your childcare philosophy and your interest in the cooperative model to kitchicoo_at_gmail.com.