Kingston General Hospital Employee Reviews in Canada

A wonderful walk-to-work opportunity for a graduate student
Occupational Health and Safety Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ONMarch 7, 2016
I loved the atmosphere at KGH. Its location was accessible for me, and both jobs I had at KGH (one through CCAC and the other through Occ Health) were great opportunities to work in the public sector in a non-clinical capacity.
Pros
Walk-ability, great work culture
Cons
hard to get full time employment
Great opportunity
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ONJune 2, 2016
Great opportunity to work on my medical language and to read real research papers, which gave me insight on my possible future medical career; Interesting topics.
wonderful volunteers to work with, customer interaction wonderful
Gift Shop Assistant (Current Employee) –  Kingston, OntarioJanuary 16, 2014
stock the gift shop, stock the tuck shop, cashier, balance cash at night. cover shifts in gift shop when needed. Order product, enter stock when needed. Design display window for special events. My co workers and Volunteers are a joy to work with. It can be very fast paced and you need to be able to manage your time as you do not want to leave your volunteers alone for long periods of time. Requires a lot of walking and standing and lifting.
Pros
love the interaction with people
Cons
physically and emotionally draining. no benefits. not enough hours
One of the better places to work in Kingston
Medical Secretary/Departmental Assistant (Current Employee) –  Kingston, ONJune 4, 2014
Different departments may be different, but I have loved each of my jobs at KGH.
Pros
not bad pay/benefits
Cons
parking!
Great Place to work
Student Placement (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ONAugust 17, 2015
Great Employer, Learned to be a Great PCA. Great employees to work with. A very caring staff. Greatest part of job was seeing people return home.
I gained extensive knowledge in the dietetics field
Nutrition Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ONApril 24, 2014
Checked personal and cultural food preferences of individuals. Coordinated meal orders, including assistance with food choice and portion size. Provided assistance with set-up and positioning at mealtimes. Supervised the consumption of nutritional supplements. Collected information to aid nutritional assessment including nutritional risk screening, food record charts, weights and other anthropometric measures. Supported the availability and use of appropriate feeding aids as prescribed by the Occupational Therapist. Consulted with all disciplines of the dietetic team about the management plan for patients. Communicated with dietitians about role and data collection, as required. Made sure patients were happy with their select meal choices.
Pros
great experience and stepping stone to my future in becoming a dietitian
Cons
not enough hours
Poor management. Too few nurses, Too many patients. Unsafe.
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ONJanuary 27, 2014
Low moral, staff shortage, unsafe conditions, 'gonna get ya' attitude, patients do NOT come first! It;s all about the money. Staff, especially nursing, burn out is huge. Management is a joke. Minimal requirements for the job i.e.: new grads in the ICU. without proper support. Too few nurses, too many patients lead to disastrous outcomes.
Run off your feet for entire shift and still not able to give the patients what they need.
Patients should have a family member with them at all times.
Pros
money, training
Cons
staff shortage, poor moral, unsafe patient care.
Outstanding care always
Medical Laboratory Technician (Current Employee) –  Kingston, ONApril 30, 2015
Patient care comes first and foremost above all else. We have a great group of team players. My manager is great! she is very fair and understanding.
Pros
continuing education is encouraged
Once Black Listed Allways Black Listed
RN General Surgery (Former Employee) –  Kingston, SOctober 16, 2014
I was black listed by this Hospital in 2002 and have been unable to get work there since,,strange how the same administration people continue to wield the same power year after year....
Cons
management
A great place for low moral
materials management (Former Employee) –  KingstonFebruary 27, 2013
It is their way or the highway. No support for nursing. Heavy work loads due to the shortage of nurses. Outstanding care always is just a phrase. Not enough staff to give the outstanding care they boast about.You are just a warm beating heart with a stethescope.
Pros
great staff at the bedside
Cons
unrealistic expectations from management and a deaf ear
prodctive
Medical Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ONFebruary 9, 2015
I worked in chemistry department in the core lab ,
Working with to many seniors technologist add a lot in my work experience ,also I have learned working in new systems .
Great Money hard to work
Laboratory Technician (Former Employee) –  Kingston OntarioApril 20, 2012
I would be rand off my feet trying to keep up
I learned that people need to be more professional
Management was in need of help never available
My co-workers weren't friendly
Hardest part of the job was getting verbally lashed everday
Leaving
Pros
great pay
Cons
very child like not professional
Poor leadership
Social Worker (Current Employee) –  Kingston, ONNovember 6, 2013
Management is what keeps this hospital from being the best; poor leadership in the HR department makes hiring a waste of time, and what they call professional practice leaders are anything but professional or leaders, I would say they are definately practicing....BADLY!
***
social worker II - palliative care (Former Employee) –  kingstonMay 23, 2013
* multidisciplinary teamwork was productive and positive to both patient care & staff

* independant practice was supported within their "program management model"

* social work collegial support was strong

* discipline lead demonstrated open favorites among social workers. she was alowed to act as a manager wich violates the consultative role the position is designed. I was subsequently transfered to a medical program that all social workers knew required 2 social workers but employed only 1 - discharge planning was chronically delayed due to work overload, hence patient beds were occupied without medical need

* confidentiality is near impossible when interfacing with patients due to roomates

* bullying was utilized as common practice toward social workers not favored by the discipline lead. outright yelling & treatening occured behind her closed door on a regular basis when I fell from being one of her 'favorites'. this occurred because I eventually had to report her best friend, a longtime cancer progrm nurse, to our program manager when she would not cease her interference with treatment team treatment plans.

* the union stewart where I made formal grievances while bullying was happening was a socail worker very good friends with the social work discipline lead - the process of grievances never moved forward during the last 2 months I worked at the hospital
Pros
monthly "rounds" was exceptionally benificial in my professikonal development, being a teaching hospital
Cons
extremely limited opportunities for conference attendance
great working space
Patient assistance (Current Employee) –  Kingston, ONJune 2, 2014
the work environment is very friendly, the team im working with is very supportive. my job is to assist patients and entertain them. The most enjoyable part is meeting new patients and making a change everyday
Excellent community to live in
Dialysis Technician (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ONJune 11, 2012
Was only there for a short time but it was a friendly environment and people were encouraged to bring ideas to the forefront and express themselves
Pros
teaching hospital
Cons
tight work space
treat volunteers well
VOLUNTEER (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ONSeptember 11, 2013
Learned a great deal working on the cardiac floor. interacted with families as they were waiting for their family members undergoing surgery.
good training