Kinder Morgan

Kinder Morgan Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
I enjoyed working with all the heavy equipment.
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee), Houston, TXJuly 24, 2013
Co-workers were good to get along with. I learned how to operate an overhead bridge crane. The hardest part f my job was being away from my family due tot he shift work, but I will always do what is necessary for my family.
KM is a very good company
Terminal Operator (Current Employee), NCJuly 21, 2013
Pros: job security
Cons: under staffed
KM is a very good company over all. Some of its segments have issues.
Avoid,avoid,avoid
Crew leader (Former Employee), Sweeney TexasJuly 11, 2013
Pros: great benefits and coworkers
Cons: management is stupid. can change policies to benefit themselves.
Stay away from the Sweeney terminal. Manager and supervisor haven't the slightest clue. Core principles and "Do The Right Thing Everyday" only works when it benefits the company. Working three schedules so not a lot of off time,which is good cause u can't survive on the chump change being paid
Kinder Morgan , small but growing
Crew Leader (Current Employee), Deer Park, TXJuly 9, 2013
Pros: great benefits, great people
Cons: high turn over rate in turn i spend alot of time at work
A typical day at Kinder Morgan consists of unloading Ethanol Rail cars to tanks then pipe lined to several refineries. My favorite part of my job is meeting new people and working as a team. The hardest part right now is learning to run the locomotive to switch Rail cars since we now have to learn that aspect of the job.
Relaxed atmosphere
Senior Geotech (Former Employee), Houston, TXJune 17, 2013
Pros: very relaxed environment and excellent compensation
Cons: not enough projects to keep me busy
Too many employees for the amount of work . Spent most of the time trying to find projects to work on.
Just Starting
Maintenance Technician (Current Employee), TXJune 15, 2013
Pros: none noted at this time
Cons: none noted at this time
Learning a new environment of petroleum, it can be exciting at times, with safety as the utmost priority.
Not enough time to completely review the company, location, but enjoying the job.
DO NOT ENTER!!!!
Analyst (Former Employee), Houston, TXJune 2, 2013
Pros: paid parking or commuter bus; great location to food court in tunnel
Cons: everything i mentioned above
This company is no place to work if you are looking for advancement! They will find any excuse not to promote you, give you your raise or bonus. The bottom of the totem pole employees are severely underpaid. Their attitude is you're lucky to have a job. As someone else stated they are MILES behind in technology, so you're doing your job by hand. They – more... will praise you when you're up but one mistake and they will NEVER forget it. They don't encourage continued education to help you do your job, lots of favoritism of course. You will only get in certain departments based on who you know, but beware once you leave....don't use them as a reference! – less
Learned to run Heliem plant
Level 'C' Helium Plant Operator (Former Employee), Bushton, KSMay 28, 2013
Pros: good people
Cons: dead end job
Enjoyed working there, learned to run helium plant in a 1.2 billion cubic foot plant
Look Elsewhere
Manager (Current Employee), USAMay 23, 2013
Pros: paycheck, decent entertainment value
Cons: no corporate leadership, silly slogans & endless "training"
One of the dumbest places on earth. Endless training on irrelevant topics prepared by glorified interns. Their slogan, Do the Right Thing Everyday, is laughable. It could only be accurate for this upper management team if the words "when financially convenient" were added as an ending. Want-to-be tough guy VPs trying to manage by fear bring needed comic – more... relief. Just a job. No loyalty either way between employee and employer. – less
Great learning experience
Mechanical Piping engineer (Former Employee), Houston, TexasMay 21, 2013
I worked in a team which helped develop not only my skills but also my interpersonal skills.
Working on various projects with various disciplines to meet client deadlines.
overall good job
Terminal Manager (Former Employee), Vicksburg, MSMay 13, 2013
management
Great crew
Things I couldn't controll was hardest part
I enjoyed it when we were wide open fast pace
Exciting enviroment
Lead Foreman (Former Employee), Carson, CAMay 6, 2013
Pros: pay is good
Cons: on-call
Good co-workers, Tough and dangerous job. Safety is the key to a good day at Kinder Morgan.
team player
operator (Former Employee), south saint paulMay 3, 2013
Pros: all of are safety equipment payed for by the company
Cons: sometimes working twelve hours without a break
Start early work late.I have not learned much from km as there training is terrible.Lot of new managers that dont know what to do as they come from another feild of work.Co workers were very hard working bunch of guys.The work never bothered me management had no clue of how to run the crew .Dealing with customers meeting new people and helping them – more... when they were haveing a bad day. – less
Secure job with established company
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee), Chicago, ILApril 30, 2013
Pros: hours, benefits
Cons: high turnover
Clerical duties within a union environment which requires a high tolerance for relationship issues between a young mangement team and seasoned union employees.
Antiquated management, culture, and technology - not employee friendly
Gas Pipeline Operations (Current Employee), HoustonApril 6, 2013
Pros: co-workers keep you sane
Cons: bad management, old technology, no processes
Stay away if you are looking for a meaningful career. Management does not want or appreciate new ideas. The systems are basically from the early 90s and it's unlikely they will be upgraded soon. The culture is that of the 1970s at best. You will have job security because people keep leaving. Advancement maybe but if you have to relocate be prepared – more... for an awful relocation package. Company morale is low and management does not care. They have the be happy you got a job mentality. Raises are between 2-3% while upper management continues to get paid through stock from record profits.

If you need a job take it otherwise look elsewhere. – less
Warm atmosphere & friendly co-workers. Nice place to work.
Senior Operations Analyst (Former Employee), Houston, TXApril 1, 2013
I thoroughly enjoyed assisting our pipeline customers each day and coordinating the annual customer meeting. The most difficult part of my job was reconciling the pipeline each month and not necessarily the most difficult, but the most tedious was the weekly and monthly government reporting. All of my co-workers were friendly and helpful.
Comical words, "Do the Right Thing Everyday"
Not Specified (Current Employee), Port Arthur, TxMarch 26, 2013
Pros: medical benefits, bonuses
Cons: micro mangement, unqualified management & employees, constant back stabbing
They have a sytem called "Do the Right Thing Everday". Which is a joke. The company doesnt even abide by there own "Six Core Principles. They have these in place for there benefit only. They use these core principles against you so they are not at fault. If something goes wrong or someone is injured they munipulate anything and everything so they are – more... not at fault. I had the HR department say to me, "We are here for your protection and to protect the employees". I ask them do I pay you or does the company. They had no response. Management in the company is not qualified for the postions they are in. If you are smarter or have any brains they will try to get rid of you. They have a huge legal team in place. When I say huge I mean HUGE! A Co-Worker was injured on the job a few months back. As a witness, it was not his fault. They took the situation and have tried to turn it against him just because he got legal advice about his situation. Everything was fine untill he seaked legal advice. Management has tried and is still trying everything they can to fire him. They have even asked employees to watch him so they can write him up. I had a senior manager tell me, "He p*ssed them off when he got a lawyer, They are going to fire him any way they can". The company has a safety bonus program. They put money on walmart cards every three months, now its a chase prepaid card. At the end of the year, on the last pay check they took out taxes for the whole year. It ended up making some people only have a $54 check the week after Christmas. All in all this company is not here for there employees. They are in it for there benefit only. I have been an employee for 7 years and am currently an employee but seeking opportunities else where. – less

June 3, 2013

You are right. Back stabbing, stupid training, always changing doing things, they can't make up their minds. You don't need to think here..basically do ask they say. Everyone is running scare. They are proud who they fire and will communicate on conference calls. There are spies in the work areas who will report everything to the managements so they can look good and justify their jobs. Stay away. It is not worth it and will not get better in the years to come.

NONE
industrial Technician PLC (Former Employee), Tampa, FLMarch 25, 2013
Pros: lunches
a routine day will be to review the daily email , look for updates on deferent projects and issues reported by operations, prioritize the issues and communicate to others via email or person to person.

this company assign the tech to specific task and depending of the skills, come ones are dedicate to the right the way pipelines, other to maintain – more... the pipeline and others for almost everything

management is very eremitic regarding freely communication with their employs.

very pour communication due each technician carry their own work issues due each one work in different areas .

one of the must enjoyable part of this company was the opportunity the ad have true the truck rack , it was an area complete abandon in the pas for pour maintenance and very bad equipment conditions .
I ejoy to fix and solve issues and I feel very proud of my self for how much work and effort done in this specific area of the company . – less
Very strong company
Regional Training Manager (Former Employee), Argo, ILMarch 16, 2013
Kinder Morgan is a great company to work for. There are plenty of opportunities for those not tied to a specific location. The company does well year over year and awards the employees respectively.

March 26, 2013

Since the company "Changed their policies" and implemented the 6 Core Principles, this terminal has had more injuries, spills and people leaving (either by choice or not) since its inception. The current crop of managers and VP's bring little to the table; there is a serious lack of training and severe micro-managing. If you want to work yourself to death and make a wage well under the industy standard than this is the place for you. Also: Upper management DOES NOT watch out for its own, they will always make excuses for their lack of leading and point blame at others!

April 4, 2013

The current crop of UPPER MANAGERS are being promoted while they have alienated most if not all of the Supervisors. in the last 3 years there have been 7 people that have left either by choice or not. The UPPER MANAGERS will always blame the little guy while soaking up the accolades.

Fun place to work
Business Process Analyst (Former Employee), Lakewood, COMarch 11, 2013
Pros: 9-80 work schedule, good bonus every year, and excelllent benefits
Cons: job security was not always there.
Kinder Morgan, Inc was a good place to work. The salary was very good. A typical day was fast paced and very little down time. I learned how to forecast financials and do yearly budgets on multi-million dollar pipelines. It was a high profile job where you dealt with the President and Vice Presidents daily. The hardest part was working budget process – more... through the last 6 months of the year along with all your regular daily work. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with the Account Directors(Marketers) and the shipper's on the pipelines. – less

About Kinder Morgan

This can get Kinder complicated: Kinder Morgan Management (KMM) was created by pipeline operator¬† Kinder Morgan, Inc.¬†to be the – Read more

Kinder Morgan Photos