The Kimberley Community Development Society (KCDS) seeks an entrepreneurial, self starting individual to act as a catalyst in the festival and event sector, to grow existing festivals and events (F&E) and kickstart new ones.
Purpose of the Position:
- To facilitate the organization, coordination, and delivery of Kimberley’s events and festivals.
- To act as a consultant to those organizations and individuals working together in the organization, coordination, and delivery of tourism events and festivals.
- To act as liaison with the marketing arm of ‘Tourism Kimberley’ to ensure that events and festivals are promoted.
- To grow the impact of festivals and events and promote Kimberley as a tourist destination; to increase visitor numbers and their length of stay, and to expand tourism activities and options for visitors.
The F&E Consultant will work closely with the KCDS Manager to develop business relationships with clients in the Festival and Event community, including existing F&E and engaging community champions to kickstart new ones.
It is expected that periods of intensity, involving long hours during the production and execution of F&E, will be balanced with slower periods, involving work to support the F&E community by creating opportunities for community groups and F&E organizers to network, share best practices, as well as develop strategies for mobilizing and recognizing volunteers to ensure successful consulting activities.
Skills, Experience, and Education Evaluation Criteria:
- Experience working with and mobilizing volunteers.
- Experience in project and/or event management.
- Experience in organizing and/or executing festivals and events.
- Experience working with Boards and committees.
- Experience conducting business case analysis, opportunity identification.
- Relevant formal education.
- Valid BC Driver’s License and vehicle.
- Familiar with business software such as Microsoft Excel and file sharing platforms
- In addition, the Events Consultant will have the following skills:
- Time management and organization;
- Interpersonal communication and leadership;
- Present ideas clearly and motivate action;
- Positive, collaborative and creative approach to problem solving; and
- Acumen for internet marketing platforms and technologies.
- Depending on the nature of relationships negotiated with individual F&E clients, the F&E Consultant may be required to supervise, oversee and monitor events and festivals in all weather conditions, indoors and outdoors, and may have to work odd, evening, and/or weekend hours, depending on the nature of the event or festival.
- The coordination and organization of events and festivals may involve evening and weekend meetings that suit the schedules of volunteers and partners.
- The set-up, take-down and staging of events and festivals may involve lifting, carrying and moving equipment and apparatus.
- The F&E Consultant may have to work in a number of facilities and outdoor locations and may have to manage a number of people and projects at one time in a busy, noisy and stressful environment which may include interruptions to meet the needs and requests of event participants, organizers, volunteers and partners.
- The F&E Consultant may have to manage a number of projects at one time and must be aware of all events occurring in the community. He/she must be aware of relevant legislation, policies and procedures, and must be prepared to deal with emergencies and stressful situations at any time.
Identify opportunities to contract with existing and new festivals and events; and assess their viability.
- Develop resources and support for community festivals and events (e.g. volunteer list; equipment list and contacts; best practice sharing).
- Tracking outcomes for the monitoring and reporting requirements.
- This contract position is part of a pilot project from April 2013 to March 2014, with funding secured for one year; future funding will be sought and is dependent on the success of the pilot initiative. A base contract of $30,000 will be available, with additional compensation to be based on commission from work with individual festivals and events.
- Reports to the Kimberley Community Development Society Manager.
Timeline and Process
- Applications will be accepted until 12:00 AM, April 21, 2013
- The Kimberley Community Development Society thanks all applicants; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
- Interviews will be conducted between April 24 and May 1, 2013.
Indeed - 11 months ago