Kiewit Employee Reviews

not a team company!!
rigger/labourer (Former Employee) –  Kapuskasing, ON11 July 2016
very racist!!!,, take advantage of workers.. they do not like Indians,,, and or anyone whom is not French,,,or can speak French!!!!
Pros
job threats
Cons
you can be replaced, always threated
enjoyed my time their
Crane Operator (Former Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB18 April 2016
Kiewit mod yard was a very rewarding job very high saftey standards and reliable planning and management i enjoyed my time working for them.
Good for a while
Environmental Lead (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB11 August 2015
There are some definite perks to working here, including competitive compensation, annual pay increases and paid time off, but there is very poor work/life balance.
When I needed them the most they were not there.
Ironworker/Welder (Former Employee) –  BC16 September 2014
Worked for them this year on a project in British Columbia, I got hurt on the job. Everything was fine, management acted like they were behind me until I filed for compensation through WCB, I later found out they disputed my injury. They went as far as contacting WCB to tell them that they believed I was hurt that morning and that I wasn't feeling well(which was entirely made up)

Would NEVER work for Kiewitt or any CLAC affiliation ever again.
Pros
Not many come to mind.
Cons
Stabbed me in the back when I needed them.
terrible moral
concrete finisher (Current Employee) –  mildred lk ab.24 April 2014
We are treated like we're just a number. The management is the big problem with this place. Management has a hard time not letting the power they have go to thier heads. If youre hard up for a job than this is the place to go for a filler job. This place is no good for your mental health. Everything you ever learned any where else does not apply here. This is a good place to work if you know nothing about the industry and are just starting out in your career.
Pros
decent pay, when they didnt mess it up
Cons
having to do things the hard way, not doing things the right way the first time. they like to play, games
productive and fun place to work
Fabrication Lead Planner (Former Employee) –  Edmonton14 May 2012
Very busy environment but fun at the same time.
Without team work success is slower.
Lack of communications with upper management
Co-workers are excellent! We work hard and still manage to de-stress ourselves.
Hardest part of the job is not being recognized for the hard work the team has put in. And only one person gets the credits.
Having a good team and seeing that we accomplish our targets is very rewarding.
Pros
comraderie, helping and leading one another
Cons
lack of communications from upper management
Excellent Safety Culture
Employee (Former Employee) –  Kearl Lake5 February 2015
Good company overall, but some of the management team don't really have a clue. When a construction manager puts on a new hire (Green) hard hat, and partakes in spying on craft workers, you know the system is broken. One bad CM, don't mean there all bad. Just makes for an environment where the employees are afraid for there job. very much a micro managed company, but if you can get passed this fact. Then you will find crews are usually great, compensation and benefit package is very fair.
Pros
compensation and benefits
Cons
micro managed, clueless CMs
Nice environment to work and employees are well compensated
Procurement Lead (Former Employee) –  Vancouver1 September 2015
I like the attitude of the people and how management treat their employees fairly. The company are equipping employees in the right direction to improve the quality of their work, giving them trainings, seminars and taking special coarses. Overall its a fun workplace.
Pros
a lot of company benifits
Cons
Non
Great place to be
Carpenter Foreman (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB17 June 2014
Typical day at work starts off with writing a Pre Task Instruction (PTI) for the crew. Go over what we are going to do for the day. I then get the guys/girls set up to where they are going to work, then carry out the days tasks.

The Management has been nothing but great to me and the rest of the crew, they are willing to train and answer any questions as required.

The most enjoyable part of my job is seeing a job completed with nobody getting hurt, and making budget
Pros
Great wages, Great crew, Great management
Cons
Long hours, Sometimes too many bosses
Great work opportunity
Structural Welder (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB11 September 2013
Safety is a high priority, the crews are small, often working with same people each day in a well-maintained and respectful environment with understanding management (mostly), a great learning opportunity from co-workers and company supplied training.
The camp is clean, well-maintained and the food is great, single bedrooms with shared bathrooms and internet available, gym and entertainment rooms also present.
Pros
Competitive wages, high quality camp, great working enviroment
Cons
Long drive between camp and worksite
Awesome coworkers, learned a LOT
Enterprise Content Management (ECM) Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB1 February 2016
A typical day is busy, but you learn a lot. It was never-ending learning and change, but if you are the type of person who likes that, it was fun!
The friendly and amazing coworkers I was lucky enough to work with definitely kept me at Kiewit for 5 years.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
HR staff is not inviting/friendly
great place to work
Pipefitter/Steamfitter (Former Employee) –  Marystown, NL16 February 2016
i learned so much and over come some challenges that i thought was not possible and i also made alot of friends , and got touse my people skills and work with alot of cultures it was great.
Pros
safety awards and they also donate to help the towns with stuff in need
Cons
not always work in the ship yard
Working at Kearl Lake is not that bad
Industrial Electrician (Current Employee) –  Bethune, SK14 June 2016
The only problem I didn't really like is the long one hour drive to work everyday back and forth to camp. It just seems very unnessacary.
Great learning experiences and challenges
Junior Civil Engineer (Former Employee) –  Kapuskasing, ON5 April 2014
Safety is a never ending topic at Kiewit. They care about their people and invest in you. About 66% of your life is lived surrounded by people from your company, as you live at a camp for some remote work. Everyone is driven to excel in their job, enforcing a positive working environment. Management is more secluded from their people, as the opportunities in Kiewit tend to be larger scale projects.
Pros
Continuous Learning
Cons
Away from home a lot, Long hours
it was a Great company to work for until the jobs in BC dried out for the Company.
Key Foreman (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC15 February 2016
Working at Kiewit was a great learning experience. I enjoyed the variety of work on the Port Mann Bridge. I was part building the bridge, the demolition of the old bridge and the Marine work. I took care of the barges and worked with tug boat operations.
I learned to work with explosives, pile driving, iron working, welding, and all the Marine operations.
I got along with the Iron Workers and Tug Boat Operators.
Hardest part of the job was working at Camp when the Port Mann bridge was done because I had to be away from my family. But I enjoyed learning how to operate loaders. It was a great learning experience.
Pros
learning a variety of new aspects in construction
Cons
loss of job
saftyfirst
journeyman ironworker (Former Employee) –  Canada20 May 2016
worked for Kiewit in the past and enjoyed learning new things about any trade hope to work for them in the future. co-workers were great to work with and I was taught new skills about the trade
Fast Paced high production large industrial construction projects
Surveyor (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC22 January 2016
Excellent Company to work for. Safety Orientated, high production, on the job leadership training.
Strong emphases on site awareness and organization. High potential for danger industrial construction in live traffic or extreme terrain.
Pros
long term projects
Great
Lead Estimator (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB24 February 2016
Great work life balance with a great learning experience. Excellent work environment. Mutual respect with the co workers.
Good place with a strong safety culture
Warehouse Person/Tool Crib Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB22 June 2015
Good place with a strong safety culture.
Good Wage
Well stocked supply shop
Good People
Stable hours 5-10's
Technology innovative
good craft buy in for their safety culture empowering each worker to have their say.
Poor turnover
Pros
Free Breakfast occasionally
Cons
Poor Management. extremely poor turnover
A well Managed enjoyable place to work
Civil Designer (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL18 March 2015
Worked as a Civil Designer for the Hebron Gravity Based Structure in the St. John's office. Worked heavily with concrete reinforcement design by making reinforcement keys to show the intensity of rebar required. Worked with a large team of management and staff from all over the world that came together to complete the design phase of the project.
Pros
Great Management
Cons
Job Security

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Kiewit. Our community is ready to answer.